Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FAA Compliant Lighting
12Next >
7935 43 2017-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DemolitionMan14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

When is DJI going to produce and include navigational light for their drones that is FAA compliant for night flights?  I can't imagine its very difficult to incorporate anti-collision lighting that is visable from 3 miles.  As of now you have to buy a 3rd party LED and battery and attach it to the drone, which adds weight and could cause balance issues.
2017-9-13
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Well as a drone operator I don't think you are supposed to fly at night so that might be one of the reasons unless you are part 107 I think
2017-9-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-9-13 07:30
Well as a drone operator I don't think you are supposed to fly at night so that might be one of the reasons unless you are part 107 I think

You have it backwards: recreational flights are allowed at night but 107 pilots can only fly during the day, with an extra 30 minutes at dawn and dusk with the appropriate lights. And to answer the OP's question, that's probably why: because 107 pilots represent only a small portion of DJI's sales, so providing lights visible 3 miles away isn't a big priority for them.
2017-9-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Lights are at present no good to you in the US , I don't think we are going to see lights on the Mavic that can be seen 3 miles away now or in the near future.

you can buy lume cubes and accessories to fit your Mavic.

https://www.lumecube.com/shop/mavic-pro-kit
2017-9-13
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wouldn't be a bit risky to fly at night? poor visibility.

There are some LED lights I brought from a gentleman of the PP site which are super duper bright for a fair low price and doesn't add any weight at all. They can be attached with just small pieces of velcro.

Called:  STROBON Cree® LED Strobe Lights

2017-9-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-13 08:30
You have it backwards: recreational flights are allowed at night but 107 pilots can only fly during the day, with an extra 30 minutes at dawn and dusk with the appropriate lights. And to answer the OP's question, that's probably why: because 107 pilots represent only a small portion of DJI's sales, so providing lights visible 3 miles away isn't a big priority for them.

Can 107 pilots not fly at night with SOP ?
2017-9-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-13 09:00

No, you have to get a waiver from the FAA, but they're handed out pretty freely for flying at night.
2017-9-13
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Here in Canada, night flying is against the law.  So, I would say, this is not a good idea
2017-9-13
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Flying at night seems to me like putting super bright headlights on my car and then getting behind the wheel with a bag on my head. I draw a lot of attention to myself right up to the point a smash into something.
2017-9-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Would that not show up in the video / pictures?
2017-9-13
Use props
MAStetz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26316 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-13 08:30

you my friend have it backwards, a hobbyist may NEVER fly at night, Part 107 may file for a FAA night waiver to allow flight at night
2017-9-13
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

It is fun. Here in Denmark it is permitted to fly at night, provided two conditions are met.

1. Start and landing space must be sufficiently lighted so start and landing can be performed safely.
2. The aircraft/drones must be equipped with light so the pilot can see its orientation and position in the airspace.

And all DJI's products meet condition 2. In fact, you can fly far further in the night than day and still meet the requirement to fly by VLOS.   

Thus, there is no requirement for other aircraft can see the aircrafts/drone lighting. But here is the rule of course that we must yield unconditionally for manned aircraft .

Regards Leif.
2017-9-13
Use props
GrahamG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73369 ft
United Kingdom

Who flys at night?
2017-9-13
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-13 09:00

technically u do need a waiver/permission to fly at night with part 107 certication.  however you are given some leniency around twilight hours..  typically seen as 30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes prior to sunrise.  

however fly for fun act, not part 107,  you can play all night if you so wish to risk it.  

it does sound counter intuitive.. but whatever..
2017-9-13
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

MAStetz Posted at 2017-9-13 11:30
you my friend have it backwards, a hobbyist may NEVER fly at night, Part 107 may file for a FAA night waiver to allow flight at night

actually you have it twisted.. 107 commercial operators must file for a waiver and permission to fly at night beyond twilight hours.  however hobbyist who fly for fun can fly all night long, how ever much risk they are willing to take.  

it is completely counter intuitive, but did you expect our government to make sense?
2017-9-13
Use props
DemolitionMan14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am part 107 and occasionally have projects that run at night.  I am aware of the required waiver and the need of FAA compliant lighting.  Not only would integrated 3 SM strobes be useful at night but they would also help somewhat during the day at well as they are brighter than DJI's integrated red and green lights.
2017-9-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Landbo Posted at 2017-9-13 11:53
It is fun. Here in Denmark it is permitted to fly at night, provided two conditions are met.

1. Start and landing space must be sufficiently lighted so start and landing can be performed safely.

That is good for you!
Wished it was the same here.
2017-9-13
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Denmark

I do.  
2017-9-13
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-9-13 08:35
Wouldn't be a bit risky to fly at night? poor visibility.

There are some LED lights I brought from a gentleman of the PP site which are super duper bright for a fair low price and doesn't add any weight at all. They can be attached with just small pieces of velcro.

I have two of those strobe lights on my Spark during the Eclipse last month. They let me see my Sparky way up at 300 feet perfectly.
2017-9-13
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Denmark

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-13 12:31
That is good for you!
Wished it was the same here.

Thank's, but you are not so far from Denmark if you want to fly by night yourself.   

Regards Leif.
2017-9-13
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-13 11:14
Would that not show up in the video / pictures?

No, it will not. I put them on the sides of the Spark and no reflections from the light.

2017-9-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Landbo Posted at 2017-9-13 12:39
Thank's, but you are so not far from Denmark if you want to fly by night yourself.   

Regards Leif.

That is right!
Good idea
2017-9-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-9-13 12:40
No, it will not. I put them on the sides of the Spark and no reflections from the light.

Flying under the dark of the eclipse.

Thanks. I did see some night footage from Mavic with the red lights showing up.
2017-9-13
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Denmark

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-13 12:43
That is right!
Good idea

Just be aware of the rules.

http://modelflyvning.dk/forening ... eign-rc-pilots.aspx

Regards Leif.
2017-9-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

MAStetz Posted at 2017-9-13 11:30

No, I don't believe that I do. Please provide a cite to support your claim that recreational flight at night is against FAA regulations.
2017-9-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Who flies at night? For one, people who want to capture outstanding photos and video, like this guy and like Dirty Bird whose YouTube videos are among the very best I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/user/Schtuperman
2017-9-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I might regret saying this, but here goes.

I think it's just as safe to fly at night, so long as you have planned where your flying have taken note of obstacles there heights etc, have proper RTH procedure a smart back up plan and follow the normal rules of flying VLOS , have an area properly lit up for landing and take off and be wholly responsible for your flight.
2017-9-13
Use props
Asainz320
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly at night pretty often and I've had this discussion before. I am one of those that think that flying at night is very safe as long as you keep an eye on your drone which is way easuer at night than the day. I have also asked before for the people that keep claiming that it is illegal to fly at night to provide a link or a site where THE FAA says it is illegal for (recreational) drone pilots to do so. There are sites saying this, but not the FAA, so....
2017-9-13
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Bats and experienced drone pilots who know what they are doing.
2017-9-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Landbo Posted at 2017-9-13 12:54
Just be aware of the rules.

http://modelflyvning.dk/foreningsinfo/ansvarsforsikring-for-piloter/foreign-rc-pilots.aspx

Thanks a lot. That is a lot to read and fill in, but worth the time.
2017-9-13
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Denmark

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-13 21:48
Thanks a lot. That is a lot to read and fill in, but worth the time.

You're welcome. Good flight.
2017-9-13
Use props
Bomberuk1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

http://www.flytron.com/led-syste ... e.html#/color-white
2017-9-14
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-13 08:31
Lights are at present no good to you in the US , I don't think we are going to see lights on the Mavic that can be seen 3 miles away now or in the near future.

you can buy lume cubes and accessories to fit your Mavic.

I've heard great things!

Have you tried them out?
2017-9-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Drone-Mike Posted at 2017-9-15 03:56
I've heard great things!

Have you tried them out?

I have a set for my P4 they are excellent, I can also use with my Osmo so they are very versatile.
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

It would have to be a third party type designed. What was suggested is also correct. Drones should not be flown at night.
2017-9-15
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-15 08:17
It would have to be a third party type designed. What was suggested is also correct. Drones should not be flown at night.

What's the basis for your statement, Mark? It's most certainly not correct if you mean that it's against FAA regulations to fly recreationally at night.

Nor can I find anything from DJI materials (e.g., the Mavic manual) that says drones shouldn't be flown at night. In fact, the manual implicitly condones it by saying to, "Be extra cautious when flying in dark environments." Are you claiming that it's DJI's position that its drones should not be flown at night?
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-15 09:18
What's the basis for your statement, Mark? It's most certainly not correct if you mean that it's against FAA regulations to fly recreationally at night.

Nor can I find anything from DJI materials (e.g., the Mavic manual) that says drones shouldn't be flown at night. In fact, the manual implicitly condones it by saying to, "Be extra cautious when flying in dark environments." Are you claiming that it's DJI's position that its drones should not be flown at night?

A great question. Certainly it can be a grey area. I don't fly at night because I want to be able to keep an eye on where I am going. The argument can be made that it is a lot like driving without headlights and if DJI wanted to include this point, they would of made headlights for the aircraft. You have to sign waivers with the FAA on this point and the manuals do say not to fly line out of sight. Finally, I can recall that some of the older DJI manuals did frown upon this the same way it was frowned to fly over a crowd. Of course some do so perhaps the best wording would be that this is all subjective.
2017-9-15
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-15 09:51
A great question. Certainly it can be a grey area. I don't fly at night because I want to be able to keep an eye on where I am going. The argument can be made that it is a lot like driving without headlights and if DJI wanted to include this point, they would of made headlights for the aircraft. You have to sign waivers with the FAA on this point and the manuals do say not to fly line out of sight. Finally, I can recall that some of the older DJI manuals did frown upon this the same way it was frowned to fly over a crowd. Of course some do so perhaps the best wording would be that this is all subjective.

I see: in other words, it's just your personal opinion. Yeah, we all have one of those, and some of us even know what the actual regulations are. However, your headlights comparison doesn't hold water because the lights mandated by the FAA for commercial pilots aren't for illumination -- which is mainly what headlights are for -- but to serve as a warning to others, hence the three mile requirement. And by the way, at least on larger / manned aircraft those "headlights" that are used for illumination are landing lights and taxi lights, not "headlights".

In any case, I appreciate you clarifying your previous post. I'd hate to see a DJI employee spreading misinformation about FAA regulations or about DJI policies concerning flying at night.

2017-9-15
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-15 09:53
I see: in other words, it's just your personal opinion. Yeah, we all have one of those, and some of us even know what the actual regulations are. However, your headlights comparison doesn't hold water because the lights mandated by the FAA for commercial pilots aren't for illumination -- which is mainly what headlights are for -- but to serve as a warning to others, hence the three mile requirement. And by the way, at least on larger / manned aircraft those "headlights" that are used for illumination are landing lights and taxi lights, not "headlights".

In any case, I appreciate you clarifying your previous post. I'd hate to see a DJI employee spreading misinformation about FAA regulations or about DJI policies concerning flying at night.

Well, respectfully there are a great deal of opinions on this page. I appreciate  yours in the same way that I have provided mine. I don't believe I suggested that I was an authority on FAA regulations nor did I come off stating that. Perhaps misinterpretations all the way around? I would rather give information that does err on the side of caution because it is not completely safe. However, if you feel you can operate by flying at night, by all means go for it. Also, there is no place on the online store that DJI does sell lights for drones. Therefore, I would not be able to advise on any third party products.  I do appreciate your feedback either way.
2017-9-15
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-15 11:46
Well, respectfully there are a great deal of opinions on this page. I appreciate  yours in the same way that I have provided mine. I don't believe I suggested that I was an authority on FAA regulations nor did I come off stating that. Perhaps misinterpretations all the way around? I would rather give information that does err on the side of caution because it is not completely safe. However, if you feel you can operate by flying at night, by all means go for it. Also, there is no place on the online store that DJI does sell lights for drones. Therefore, I would not be able to advise on any third party products.  I do appreciate your feedback either way.

Well, "respectfully", Mark, here's what you wrote in your first reply:

"What was suggested is also correct. Drones should not be flown at night."

That doesn't sound like an opinion but rather a statement of fact and since you clearly aren't an authority on FAA regulations the other obvious interpretation -- because you're posting as a DJI employee -- was that you were expressing DJI policy, but apparently that wasn't the case either.

Yes, of course we're all entitled to have and express opinions. I've never said or implied otherwise, but I thought the wording of your original post suggested something other than a personal opinion, so again I appreciate the clarification and my apologies if I misinterpreted your intent.

P.S. I don't know if you ever hear from or communicate with DJI-Ken, but if you do please let him know that his presence here is missed.
2017-9-15
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules