Spark FAILURE UNIT LOST -DJI Care - refuses help .600 WARNING!!
5231 79 2017-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

NerdyGuy Posted at 2017-9-14 16:18
Done.   Not purchasing ANYTHING from DJI again.   What a damn insult!   15% off a replacement.   I will be selling all my DJI crap.  I'm done with this company.  PM me for prices and information.

We are sorry for the mishap and the trouble you’ve been experiencing, but a case will not be covered by warranty if it is the pilot's responsibility.  Could you please provide me with your case number so I can check the details about your situation? Sorry again for your loss.
2017-9-14
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-14 20:21
We are sorry for the mishap and the trouble you’ve been experiencing, but a case will not be covered by warranty if it is the pilot's responsibility.  Could you please provide me with your case number so I can check the details about your situation? Sorry again for your loss.

i think it is a grey area here... i hope he gets a replacement.  looks like to me what happened was his battery he stored started self discharge and it didn't present him with the correct percentage remaining..  i think dji needs to be the one responsible for this..

of course this is assuming he is telling the truth... im hoping to see some logs..im hoping to see battery voltage vs percentage indicated..
2017-9-14
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156867 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI: you've lost a customer.  You claim pilot error, I'm telling you, you have a battery issue.  I make nothing for money and I got into this hobby, after my wife left.  Needed to focus on something else.  Fact is, I'm done with the drone game.  Stupid idea to throw and expensive camera in the sky .. and hope you get it back.  Gone is my confidence in DJI, gone is my confidence in "extended warranties". I'll find something else to focus my attention on, something less expensive and stressful.  This is totally stupid.  Absolute waste of money.   I'm paying monthly now on something I no longer have.    I'm done in this game...
Selling:
Mavic Fly more, cancelling warranties, selling all remaining parts for Spark Fly More, 3 Spark batteries, Spark 3 slot battery charger, selling goggles, osmo mobile.

Good bye DJI... Let someone else deal with your crap.  I'm not the first to dump DJI for horrible support.... AND I WONT BE THE LAST!!!
2017-9-14
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

NerdyGuy Posted at 2017-9-14 21:16
DJI: you've lost a customer.  You claim pilot error, I'm telling you, you have a battery issue.  I make nothing for money and I got into this hobby, after my wife left.  Needed to focus on something else.  Fact is, I'm done with the drone game.  Stupid idea to throw and expensive camera in the sky .. and hope you get it back.  Gone is my confidence in DJI, gone is my confidence in "extended warranties". I'll find something else to focus my attention on, something less expensive and stressful.  This is totally stupid.  Absolute waste of money.   I'm paying monthly now on something I no longer have.    I'm done in this game...
Selling:
Mavic Fly more, cancelling warranties, selling all remaining parts for Spark Fly More, 3 Spark batteries, Spark 3 slot battery charger, selling goggles, osmo mobile.

We managed to look into your case, I've checked the data analysis result of your case, here are the details below. I am sorry to say that this is a pilot error since you didn't pay attention to the battery level.
1.The aircraft worked in GPS mode, and responded to RC command perfectly;
2.T=03:30, H=18m,D=868.3m,battery power 31%, the drone was under Go-home mode triggered by low power, then the user canceled the progress and continued to control the drone under GPS mode;
3. T=06:05, H=18m,D=128.2m, battery power 10%, the drone triggered the landing mode of critically low power; T=06:53,battery power 3%, the record was interrupted.
1.png
2017-9-14
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-14 23:35
We managed to look into your case, I've checked the data analysis result of your case, here are the details below. I am sorry to say that this is a pilot error since you didn't pay attention to the battery level.
1.The aircraft worked in GPS mode, and responded to RC command perfectly;
2.T=03:30, H=18m,D=868.3m,battery power 31%, the drone was under Go-home mode triggered by low power, then the user canceled the progress and continued to control the drone under GPS mode;

what was his battery voltage and indicated percentage at take off?

am i missing something?   it says "battery cell:  3706  3696 3741 3680 0 0 mV" in the screenshot you are showing.. assuming just listing 0 0 because spark uses a 3S li-po, ~3.7V is far above cutoff voltage.. cut off voltage is around 3000 mV or 3.0V and usually forced landing take hold around 3.20V
2017-9-14
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yep... Cancelled return flight, due to the slow speed it was returning at.  Switched to sport.  Made matters worse.  Dropped from sky.   
It is absolutely clear, that your business is NOT customer centric. And this WILL be your loss of revenue and customers.   You have lost me as a customer... A person that has literally nothing in his life.. a crap job... No friends, No o family, no kids, no wife.   I spend my paycheck on toys.  You loose.    I'll spend my money on cheaper stuff.  Maybe Parrot drones, as they are far cheaper.   Your lack of support I suspected from the beginning would be your downfall... And it is... I was right.   You can't support a customer that has bought more of your consumer crap than most.. WITH WARRANTY'S !!  Your stuck in the technical crap than working with your customers.  FU(k you DJI.   It's over.   I'm SO done with your crap.  I may not have a case... But I AM talking to my lawyer..
2017-9-15
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

NerdyGuy Posted at 2017-9-13 13:40
Yes, I had 4 batteries.   This one showed FULL.  ALL batteries were fully upgraded with the new FW as well.
If DJI doesn't assist here, I will be selling 3 batteries, DJI 3 slot charger, remote, a third party 4-port battery charger and all the Fly more parts.  As well as any and all other parts for the Spark.
Considering leaving this hobby altogether.... sell Mavic and Goggles.    Simply too damn expensive to throw a camera in the sky and HOPE you get it back.   It's a damn fool idea to begin with!

I'm interested in your batteries and fly more combo.  send me a PM
2017-9-15
Use props
E3M6N3S
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121713 ft
United States

This thread reminded me that I need to place an order the new Mavic Platinum tonight.
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

E3M6N3S Posted at 2017-9-15 09:06
This thread reminded me that I need to place an order the new Mavic Platinum tonight.

heh!   maybe save your money and get a refurbished mavic pro from the store. $799.  from what i have seen with how DJi refurbishes they appear to be within new spec...
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

NerdyGuy Posted at 2017-9-15 08:23
Yep... Cancelled return flight, due to the slow speed it was returning at.  Switched to sport.  Made matters worse.  Dropped from sky.   
It is absolutely clear, that your business is NOT customer centric. And this WILL be your loss of revenue and customers.   You have lost me as a customer... A person that has literally nothing in his life.. a crap job... No friends, No o family, no kids, no wife.   I spend my paycheck on toys.  You loose.    I'll spend my money on cheaper stuff.  Maybe Parrot drones, as they are far cheaper.   Your lack of support I suspected from the beginning would be your downfall... And it is... I was right.   You can't support a customer that has bought more of your consumer crap than most.. WITH WARRANTY'S !!  Your stuck in the technical crap than working with your customers.  FU(k you DJI.   It's over.   I'm SO done with your crap.  I may not have a case... But I AM talking to my lawyer..

im sorry you are having such a struggle, but this is a grey area for warranties..

from the picture that Diana posted it appears avg cell voltage was 3706mV  i cannot make heads or tails of that, is that starting voltage or crashing voltage..? because either way that makes no sense..  3.7V is not 100% nor is it 0%  but it is closer to a full battery than it is to a flat battery..   can you post for us something to see indicated full 100% voltage vs the flat battery voltage when it stopped logging nd started crashing?  also considering that it did go into auto landing mode/free fall mode it has to be very close to that location, very close...   should be able to recover it maybe get a few friends to help pay them with lunch or dinner or $50 if they find it or something.. or make a friend or two in town or something, i have helped complete strangers out before, im sure if you asked someone they will help you as well...  specially if you offer somethign in exchange like lunch or something..
2017-9-15
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have made such an offer.   Its 419ft from launch point..  green Spark on green desert floor.   Spent hours looking .  Hundreds of miles from nowhere.  Thousand miles from me.   No love
2017-9-15
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-15 09:17
im sorry you are having such a struggle, but this is a grey area for warranties..

from the picture that Diana posted it appears avg cell voltage was 3706mV  i cannot make heads or tails of that, is that starting voltage or crashing voltage..? because either way that makes no sense..  3.7V is not 100% nor is it 0%  but it is closer to a full battery than it is to a flat battery..   can you post for us something to see indicated full 100% voltage vs the flat battery voltage when it stopped logging nd started crashing?  also considering that it did go into auto landing mode/free fall mode it has to be very close to that location, very close...   should be able to recover it maybe get a few friends to help pay them with lunch or dinner or $50 if they find it or something.. or make a friend or two in town or something, i have helped complete strangers out before, im sure if you asked someone they will help you as well...  specially if you offer somethign in exchange like lunch or something..

Thanks for your help, you are FAR more helpful than DJI Customer "Care".     As expected DJI is TOTALLY unwilling to help in ANY WAY... They sell ya expensive crap & when you need them, they don't lift a finger to help.  This is the kind of crap that certainly makes me question the direction of humanity.   15% off a new unit is TOTALLY, 100% insulting...no two ways about it... after all the crap I buy from this damn company.
I am STILL POSITIVE this is a battery issue.   Regardless of what the data says.
Live and learn I guess.  I just keep paying on a $700 purchase & I have nothing to show for it.  Fu(K DJI and their dreadful support.  Keep pumping out the cool toys DJI.  Eventually... everyone will discover your crappy support & you'll have nobody to sell to.
Our relationship is over DJI.    When I get back home next week, posting all my DJI crap for sale.
2017-9-16
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

NerdyGuy Posted at 2017-9-16 12:53
Thanks for your help, you are FAR more helpful than DJI Customer "Care".     As expected DJI is TOTALLY unwilling to help in ANY WAY... They sell ya expensive crap & when you need them, they don't lift a finger to help.  This is the kind of crap that certainly makes me question the direction of humanity.   15% off a new unit is TOTALLY, 100% insulting...no two ways about it... after all the crap I buy from this damn company.
I am STILL POSITIVE this is a battery issue.   Regardless of what the data says.
Live and learn I guess.  I just keep paying on a $700 purchase & I have nothing to show for it.  Fu(K DJI and their dreadful support.  Keep pumping out the cool toys DJI.  Eventually... everyone will discover your crappy support & you'll have nobody to sell to.

yea, their support is about as far from stellar as possible to image and i have only had contact with support for general questions and i struggled to get a clear answer..  

that's why i have my insurance handle my drone, if it sh**ts the bed i will not contact dji beyond telling the story of it here..  ill get the check cut out to me from insurance company and buy another or take my money elsewhere..

back to what happened, i imagine we maybe able to prove it is a battery issue if you can give us a screenshot of the take off voltage vs indicated percentage on battery vs end of the log.     i think you are right, your battery was indicating 100% but it had less voltage in it than 100%.   dji diana posted screenshot showing average voltage of 3.7V (3706 millivolts) at end of the log, and 3.7V is actually nowhere near dead battery, that is actually quiet close a full battery.  with 3.20V for critical landing voltage you have more than 50% remaining by voltage indicated alone.  

oh and also to add.. invicated backery pack voltage is over 14V, that is very weird..

i think DJi needs to re-review this case, not just look at the last frame and see that you canceled fail safe... but actually effing review it....
2017-9-16
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

As you mentioned on the first page you're not a newbie and 'you know what you are doing' which is good so.....
What was the volts per cell during your pre flight checks and as 'you know what you're doing' obviously you are aware that self discharge of the packs occurs at 10 days? Why then would you assume your battery was still fully charged after two weeks? Pressing the button and looking at pretty lights is no indication of pack charge - especially after storage and initiation of self discharge.
The ONLY accurate way to ascertain charge level is monitoring cell voltage which as 'you know what you're doing' I assume you did.
2017-9-17
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

Remember I'm interested in it ..
2017-9-18
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-9-18 08:24
Remember I'm interested in it ..

Thanks.   Before I sell all my crap.  I am considering traveling over 1000 miles ONE WAY to find a stupid $500 toy drone, Since DJI is so Fu(king lame to help in anyway whatsoever.  Probably going to cost me more to get there than it will to just buy a new drone.  Fact is.  Its the nature of the thing.   I stand again that it is a BATTERY FAULT!... PERIOD.   Proves my point that DJI support is run by people who are even lower than Walmart people..... That is a real insult to WalMart.  

PLEASE if you buy DJI Products.  DO NOT!!!, DO NOT, DO NOT!  Look to crappy DJI for support.  They will DO NOTHING for you.  Learn from my VERY expensive, HUGE mistake.  DO not EVER buy from DJI.   Buy from a store that has a replacement plan ,  You will NOT get crap from DJI..
You WILL get scammed by DJI, you will get ripped off by DJI.  They will do NOTHING for you.

As I was driving away in the desert, I was literally on chat with DJI & they PROMISED that they would be able to replace my drone.   "Replacing" my drone to them is a fu(king 15% discount.   Tell me... you that is worth it?  It's a damn insult is what it is.  
2017-9-18
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

NerdyGuy Posted at 2017-9-18 10:45
Thanks.   Before I sell all my crap.  I am considering traveling over 1000 miles ONE WAY to find a stupid $500 toy drone, Since DJI is so Fu(king lame to help in anyway whatsoever.  Probably going to cost me more to get there than it will to just buy a new drone.  Fact is.  Its the nature of the thing.   I stand again that it is a BATTERY FAULT!... PERIOD.   Proves my point that DJI support is run by people who are even lower than Walmart people..... That is a real insult to WalMart.  

PLEASE if you buy DJI Products.  DO NOT!!!, DO NOT, DO NOT!  Look to crappy DJI for support.  They will DO NOTHING for you.  Learn from my VERY expensive, HUGE mistake.  DO not EVER buy from DJI.   Buy from a store that has a replacement plan ,  You will NOT get crap from DJI..

Hope you find it and prove that it was a faulty unit or software issues.  Keep us posted on the outcome.
2017-9-18
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Here you will find the flight records... You can CLEARLY see that the battery says 58% were the battery itself was reporting on its display 100%.    CLEARLY this is an issue with DJI hardware/software.  Full flight record and notes... see link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsh ... 9s/edit?usp=sharing

2017-9-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

NerdyGuy Posted at 2017-9-18 13:11
Here you will find the flight records... You can CLEARLY see that the battery says 58% were the battery itself was reporting on its display 100%.    CLEARLY this is an issue with DJI hardware/software.  Full flight record and notes... see link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DfU5DkLcjIINEXfJOKD-VXG8Wm5ECAeiQwcpFQDaQ9s/edit?usp=sharing

It's confusing can you show us a screenshot of of your app where it shows 100%, all we can see from your log is start at 58% but if you can put up a screenshot of the start of your flight then you surely have some case.
2017-9-18
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-18 13:42
It's confusing can you show us a screenshot of of your app where it shows 100%, all we can see from your log is start at 58% but if you can put up a screenshot of the start of your flight then you surely have some case.

NOT the APP showing 100%... The LED display on the BATTERY... When I press the PHYSICAL button.  That is why I am saying THIS IS A HARDWARE/SOFTWARE issue.  The BATTERY, when i press the button said 100%.  
2017-9-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

NerdyGuy Posted at 2017-9-18 13:44
NOT the APP showing 100%... The LED display on the BATTERY... When I press the PHYSICAL button.  That is why I am saying THIS IS A HARDWARE/SOFTWARE issue.  The BATTERY, when i press the button said 100%.

I suppose you are going to be up against it trying to prove that. Good luck
2017-9-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I suppose you are going to be up against it trying to prove that. Good luck
2017-9-18
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I CAN prove that the unit was coming back SUPER SLOW....  Take a look at the speed... RIGHT AFTER RTH activated.
2017-9-18
Use props
bignathan88
lvl.1
Flight distance : 86621 ft
Italy

Can I make an innocent question that maybe someone else already have done but I'm lazy to read again all the thread?
What did the DJI app show? Because it happened to me too. Battery full led but app 77%. Anyway it was not a problem. Once I noticed I changed the LiPo to make the flight I wanted to do and that one was correctly 100%.
Anyway it is very sad. I am just starting with my Spark but until now I never had problems. It records perfectly, shots nicely, flies smoothly and until now no problems. Only the app on android is a mess for me but for the things I'm doing now I can live with it. Soon I will have to check carefully to a solution.
2017-9-18
Use props
ASEPK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35515 ft
Indonesia

Hi Nerdyguy, sorry for you lost... hopefull yours will be back.
Thanks for your sharing, i have a learn from your flight data.
My learn is about speed gohome and sport mode, sport mode speed is 13-14m/s and gohome speed 10-11m/s, no big different.
My calculate is if you not to break gohome to sport, yours comeback on 90s later from time start gohome, and is already near you.
2017-9-19
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I too have learned something from this.   DO NOT TRUST DJI EQUIPMENT!!  I am VERY disappointed in DJI.   No way I can prove that the battery was displaying 100%.  But giving me only 57%.   This is such b.s...
such total bs.  It would likely cost me as much to go find the damn Spark as it would to buy a new one. (Thousand mile drive one way, or plane tickets, rental car... gas, hotel.....then MAYBE find it.)   Very disappointed, lost all my amazing photos and videos.  If all the stats were meshing and showing the correct battery level.  My judgement to fly would have been based on something that was more accurate.   This IS a failure of DJI hardware and software.   This is NOT a pilot error!!.   I can't prove it & that is what is really tweaks me.    GET 3rd PARTY INSURANCE!!!!    I will say, that I am glad that it wasn't my Mavic I lost.   Now, I can say with certainty, I feel no comfort in flying DJI anymore.   They don't believe me & offer an INSULTING 15% off.  No.... This is not worth it.    I came to DJI for it's gimble.   I used Lanparte, cheaper equipment & AWESOME support from my local dealer.    I had a LOT of fun with the Spark, while it lasted.   To damn bad, the party is over.   Total 100% buzz kill.  It has happened over and over and over.... DJI support is consistently a buzz kill.   There is NO support at ALL with DJI.  NONE!  Terrible from the Mavic order to the support for Spark.   I can't be a part of this.  My stress has been through the roof this last year for personal reasons.  I can't let this add to it.   

The data shows 57%... Damn it!  The battery display was at 100%.  This IS a DJI failure.  They should replace it.  This is just so damn uncool.....
2017-9-19
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

bignathan88 Posted at 2017-9-18 23:55
Can I make an innocent question that maybe someone else already have done but I'm lazy to read again all the thread?
What did the DJI app show? Because it happened to me too. Battery full led but app 77%. Anyway it was not a problem. Once I noticed I changed the LiPo to make the flight I wanted to do and that one was correctly 100%.
Anyway it is very sad. I am just starting with my Spark but until now I never had problems. It records perfectly, shots nicely, flies smoothly and until now no problems. Only the app on android is a mess for me but for the things I'm doing now I can live with it. Soon I will have to check carefully to a solution.

Don't fly any DJI without 3rd party replacement insurance!  One day it could happen to you...   The app I assume was displaying 57%... but I couldn't see the screen, it was totally washed out in the desert sun.  I was basing my flight off the LED battery indicator on the back.   It's a HORRIBLE reminder to pay the Affirm bill monthly for something I don't have...  every month this is going to remind me of how crappy DJI is.
2017-9-19
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

NerdyGuy Posted at 2017-9-19 09:09
I too have learned something from this.   DO NOT TRUST DJI EQUIPMENT!!  I am VERY disappointed in DJI.   No way I can prove that the battery was displaying 100%.  But giving me only 57%.   This is such b.s...
such total bs.  It would likely cost me as much to go find the damn Spark as it would to buy a new one. (Thousand mile drive one way, or plane tickets, rental car... gas, hotel.....then MAYBE find it.)   Very disappointed, lost all my amazing photos and videos.  If all the stats were meshing and showing the correct battery level.  My judgement to fly would have been based on something that was more accurate.   This IS a failure of DJI hardware and software.   This is NOT a pilot error!!.   I can't prove it & that is what is really tweaks me.    GET 3rd PARTY INSURANCE!!!!    I will say, that I am glad that it wasn't my Mavic I lost.   Now, I can say with certainty, I feel no comfort in flying DJI anymore.   They don't believe me & offer an INSULTING 15% off.  No.... This is not worth it.    I came to DJI for it's gimble.   I used Lanparte, cheaper equipment & AWESOME support from my local dealer.    I had a LOT of fun with the Spark, while it lasted.   To damn bad, the party is over.   Total 100% buzz kill.  It has happened over and over and over.... DJI support is consistently a buzz kill.   There is NO support at ALL with DJI.  NONE!  Terrible from the Mavic order to the support for Spark.   I can't be a part of this.  My stress has been through the roof this last year for personal reasons.  I can't let this add to it.   

I feel your frustration.

You have two choices to make (my 2cents).  
   1. drive/fly and go find your spark and confirm your finding to DJI, or
   2. get a new spark (same cost to retrieve or buy new) and enjoy life.  

Life is too short to beat yourself up.

2017-9-19
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-9-19 09:20
I feel your frustration.

You have two choices to make (my 2cents).  

Or choice #3:   Step away from the credit card, let it go.... never again.    Learn your lesson, when a company treats their customers with such insulting and disdainful attitude..... Learn from it.

2017-9-19
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-14 23:51
what was his battery voltage and indicated percentage at take off?

am i missing something?   it says "battery cell:  3706  3696 3741 3680 0 0 mV" in the screenshot you are showing.. assuming just listing 0 0 because spark uses a 3S li-po, ~3.7V is far above cutoff voltage.. cut off voltage is around 3000 mV or 3.0V and usually forced landing take hold around 3.20V

You are, missing something. Your knowledge of Lipo Technology is based on inaccurate data. most likely gleaned from some wanna be with a tricks and tips video on Youtube.

A lipo is dead flat at 3.3V, Read about Battery C ratings and understand the batteries ability to deliver current decreases with Voltage. Never discharge a Flight battery below 3.5V per cell. Not only is it dangerous and prone to brownouts but it significantly reduces the life of the battery.

People assume Lipos are like Nicads and Alkaline batteries. They are not. They self destruct at low and high voltages. At High Voltages i.e. fully charged they self destruct slowly. This is why DJI batteries self discharge after a MAX of 10 days. At low voltages 3.3V they self destruct very quickly.

And the Spark batteries are not normal Lipos they are LIHVs so move the scale up somewhat on the Voltage range.

I support an alternate drone manufactures help site and most of the problems I get relate to Pilot Error and misuse due to lack of understanding about the technology. Particularly batteries.

DJI do an excellent job of providing batteries and battery technology that reduce risk and extend Lifetimes. And maximise the capability of your DJI drone.

This was a clear case of Pilot error. And the attitude is due more to his personal situation than the loss of his Spark.

2017-9-21
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

NerdyGuy Posted at 2017-9-15 08:23

The cancelled RTH and selecting sport mode is what caused the Spark to fall from the Sky.

A batteries C rating, thats is its ability to deliver current to the motors, falls as the battery discharges.

i.e. It can't deliver as much current "Amps" to the motors at low battery voltage. It causes the voltage to Sag, Drop.

If you left it alone it would have auto landed on low battery. But selecting sport put too high a load on the depleted battery causing a brownout and a FC Crash.

Tell me, if you were running out of gas in your car, would you try and drive it at max speed to the nearest garage or would you nurse it there minimising Fuel usage.

Sorry about your personal issues but they are not justification for a beat-up of DJI.

The DJI care package you bought was an extended warranty not an insurance policy.   

2017-9-21
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

FYI and everyone else reading this thread. Please understand the Lights on the Spark battery and other DJI batteries.

Pressing the button quickly on the Sparks battery will display the Remaining Charge.
Pressing again will start the battery. And it will illuminate all 4 lights in sequence as it starts.
If you bump or press the button again or anytime it is powered on it will display the battery life. 4 Flashing lights for 100% life left for some time.

That would have been 100% life left in your case. Not 100% battery charge.

Just over 50% would be the Batteries charge if they were charged 2 weeks prior. They don't take long to discharge down to their storage voltage after the 10 day hiatus.

Im not saying that you are incorrect in your saying you saw 4 lights on the battery. I am just saying you misinterpreted what it was trying to tell you.

I can see how that would happen in the desert in bright light. If you had already started the battery and then pressed the button to display its charge you would see 4 flashing lights.

Cheers

2017-9-21
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2017-9-21 16:15
You are, missing something. Your knowledge of Lipo Technology is based on inaccurate data. most likely gleaned from some wanna be with a tricks and tips video on Youtube.

A lipo is dead flat at 3.3V, Read about Battery C ratings and understand the batteries ability to deliver current decreases with Voltage. Never discharge a Flight battery below 3.5V per cell. Not only is it dangerous and prone to brownouts but it significantly reduces the life of the battery.

LOL what? i already understand batteries and technologies that go into them.. the batteries Dji uses are Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide.. which have a huge voltage range depending how it is doped. they can be safely used as low as 2.20V per cell and as high as 4.35V per cell.. Dji does not seem to dope them for super low voltage use as much,but they still can get pretty low safely.  

if you use naked lithium battery cells like those turnigy cells then yes, run them down to whatever level you think is safest, those dont have inline protection to stop you from pulling them down too low and causing complete failure.  DJi batteries have inline protection and monitoring and self balancing systems..  so they will prevent failure from such use..

as for C rating, yes you are right, they are linear and linked to remaining power left, but the system DJi uses isn't blind stupid either, they scale things back to compensate as needed, i have personally seen this with my mavic pro, i gotten over discharge warnings and then keep pushing it until new alert appeared saying that it is now slowing down the motors.. i was carrying 1.5 pounds of extra  deadweight and full speed.. as it complained...

also i have tested to see how long below zero my mavic pro will stay up in the air, but flying it as high as i could over a mountain at my farm and flying it out into my valley where my fields are (about 1000 feet AGL once over my fields, 400 AGL over the hill out that way, about 600 foot total rise) and i was at 0% with 0mAh remaining for entire 5 minutes it took for it to land in full critical voltage panic mode alarms everything..battery voltage indicated in the app was 2.87V at landing, means probably sagging as low as 2.80V while coming back.  after i let the battery cool, plugged it in and no damage it runs for exactly same amount of time, same temp range, same everything, once it landed it cut out almost right away i barely got a look at the app..

2017-9-22
Use props
jackxter
New
United States

Similar boat here - I purchased a Spark for an adult family member.  
During a flight over water, connection was lost.  RTH landed it in the water.  It took off from a dock in a very remote area without anyone, anything that could cause interference.
Distance was very short when connection was lost.  Customer Service tells me that this is normal.  15% discount was offered.  I wouldn't purchase another Spark if this is considered normal - I wanted to upgrade to a Mavic and use the discount... they said No.   My $500 (+more for DJI Care) sank and I am willing to purchase another one at double the cost...you would think allowing me to use the discount wouldn't be a problem...but it is.
Not my idea of good customer service.
2017-9-27
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jackxter Posted at 2017-9-27 06:46
Similar boat here - I purchased a Spark for an adult family member.  
During a flight over water, connection was lost.  RTH landed it in the water.  It took off from a dock in a very remote area without anyone, anything that could cause interference.
Distance was very short when connection was lost.  Customer Service tells me that this is normal.  15% discount was offered.  I wouldn't purchase another Spark if this is considered normal - I wanted to upgrade to a Mavic and use the discount... they said No.   My $500 (+more for DJI Care) sank and I am willing to purchase another one at double the cost...you would think allowing me to use the discount wouldn't be a problem...but it is.

I have a Mavic and I love it.  I just don't fly it anymore, since I can't trust DJI.   When I gain the nerve to fly again, I ordered a "Tile" to track my bird if the main battery failed.   This is the HONEST truth.  Out of ALL the companies, I have dealt with in my lifetime, DJI has THE WORST Customer Service...... coolest products.   I guess you win some/ you lose some....
2017-9-27
Use props
fansdb0b7e6a
lvl.1
United States

I lost a Phantom 4 Pro using the DJI Goggles. There is a discount issue with them and support was useless. DJI has the worst custom support in the world. I have wasted so much money on DJI failures.
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fansdb0b7e6a Posted at 2017-9-27 17:55
I lost a Phantom 4 Pro using the DJI Goggles. There is a discount issue with them and support was useless. DJI has the worst custom support in the world. I have wasted so much money on DJI failures.

We are so sorry for your loss. Susan has replied your post in https://forum.dji.com/thread-114667-1-1.html
Please check it out. Thanks.
2017-9-27
Use props
NerdyGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fansdb0b7e6a Posted at 2017-9-27 17:55

Your SO right DJI support is literally the worst in the world.
2017-9-28
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2017-9-22 15:05
LOL what? i already understand batteries and technologies that go into them.. the batteries Dji uses are Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide.. which have a huge voltage range depending how it is doped. they can be safely used as low as 2.20V per cell and as high as 4.35V per cell.. Dji does not seem to dope them for super low voltage use as much,but they still can get pretty low safely.  

I believe you are misinformed.

The DJI batteries are LiHV

Cheers
2017-11-2
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2017-9-22 15:05

I believe you are misinformed.

The DJI batteries are LiHV

Cheers
2017-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules