709 5 2017-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vokey
lvl.1
Canada

Well I went to Alaska. Took the Drone..   

Not Good. Everywhere I asked to fly my drone I was told "NO."

I was told that in the past that they had some drones fly over and scare Animals. Some people told me that when they were trying to get family photos that a drone would come down and fly around them. Wrecking their experience.

I even had home Land Security tell me to "put that drone away"

I'm not sure why this concern would exist.. I understand the wrecking the experience thing to some point. but it leaves me asking "how bad did it have to get before people started feeling this way about drones.  I wonder if it was a lack of respect on the Pilot's part that wrecked it for the rest of us in Alaska. I'm not talking about airports/ NFZ and such.. that is everywhere..

it is worth mentioning that I did get some footage. so not a total waste.

I mention this because we pay a lot of money of these toys. and to not be able to fly it in an open area on a glacier. Or take a photo of a mountain is strange.. and is concerning for the future of drone flying.

What are your thoughts? have you guys had any experiences with anything like this.  
2017-9-13
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

It is very unfortunate that you came across this but there seems to be an increasing number of drone pilots who just won't fly to the rules and are ruining it for everyone else. Most countries had an open attitude to drones initially but there have been so many instances of people just flouting proper conduct and now many countries are tightening the rules so much that it is becoming more difficult to find places to fly.
2017-9-13
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-9-13 20:19
It is very unfortunate that you came across this but there seems to be an increasing number of drone pilots who just won't fly to the rules and are ruining it for everyone else. Most countries had an open attitude to drones initially but there have been so many instances of people just flouting proper conduct and now many countries are tightening the rules so much that it is becoming more difficult to find places to fly.

not even that being the issue, its the media demonizing drone usage..   sometimes they are good about it but to often they demonize it.  

i was flying today and some grouchy old man came up to me didn't even ask a single question just said police are on their way..  i laughed i was ok with that, police arrived very professional but they knew the square root of jack sh**t about drone laws and just seperated us..  didn't tell me to leave after i told him its federal law i can fly from public property over private land he said he heard that somewhere and nodded.    apparently the guy was unhappy i was spying on his daughter in law who owns a cabin (?) .   watever, not sure.. the guy looked homeless and smelled worse than a back alley fully of garbage so probably lying..
2017-9-13
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

first of all where are you flying at.. ? second of all, use common sense... a lot of people are socially retarded, so i usually dont ask. i find public property or subjectively public property and fly from that..   

dont fly close to people or crowds, stay away from what i call "hot zones".. like boarders and important buildings like government type.. you may legally be allowed to in some placed but .. i try to stay under the radar, if someone tells you off, dont have to be nice back to them, dont be a pushover, sometimes being clever works the best.    ask them to recite the section of the rules the lists no drones, as for a booklet with it in the rules.. may make them more mad in doing so but ey, not your fault they didn't come prepared to outsmart you.. if they are nice to you about it, then be nice about it back... even sometimes start a convo about it and educate them a little without seeming obnoxious.  

other way you can get around limitations is what i am going to start doing soon..  wear a high visibility vest that says something official on the back of it, without impersonating.. like "official" or staff", have a clipboard and papers ready with outlines of plans and rules.. hand out rules and stuff.. if someone asks what company you are here with say you are representing yourself, if they ask what you are doing say inspections. if they push for details, i suggest say you are not at liberty to give further details.  if they ask for a client's info say not at liberty to disclose such details, not a public official nor a public servant. if they get hostil about iut, ask them to call the police, 9x out of 10 people back out of that challenge.  

2017-9-13
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

First, we have to realize that these drones are not toys. Their aircraft and we should treat them as such. If I went outside and an ultralight kept buzzing around my house while I was trying to enjoy the sunset, I'd be "angry" and want to confront the pilot. No difference with our drones. The problem is the same in any sport. You have a few idiots that spoil the experience for the rest of us.

I use a couple of apps that tell me where it's "legal" to fly. From there, I look at spots where it's "socially appropriate" to fly. I don't go to a park and buzz around people, that's naturally going to create problems. I don't buzz my neighbors house or hover over his property, that's lack of respect. There are tons of places all over the country where you can drive out in the boonies and fly without disrupting people (or animals), it just takes a bit of planning.

Lastly, we need to be ambassadors of the sport if we want people's opinion to change. When I'm flying and somebody does find me, I take the time to introduce them to the sport. Let them wear my Goggles for a couple of minutes, show them a RTH and they're usually asking me where they can buy one.
2017-9-14
Use props
Vokey
lvl.1
Canada

You know.. I appreciate all of thoughts with this discussion.. I too feel that we need to be ambassadors. (even through i am new to this).  We should be posting quick access links to Laws and such. even have a heading on the forum for travel.  

I have been researching here in Canada and found out that you need to have a pilots (Drone) Licences, the way to get this licence is to do a course. however.... there is no place suggested to take this course. "Interesting"

I do recreational photography on the side and in buying this I thought would increase my chances of capturing those epic moments. And i believe it can once i become knowledgably like other members on this forum.  The photos/Videos that I have take of the family make me wonder why I never bought one a long time ago. But I am wondering were this hobby is going and how far we will have to travel to use them.

I recognize everyone has their own idea of respect as like people riding Quad,, Some see the enjoyment of a casual ride while others find the enjoyment in "ride hard or go home"

Has anyone ever heard of any "drone" groups. within their community or do these not exist?  
2017-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules