Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Phantom 2 vision + flying a little wonky
2440 20 2014-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
giesel338
lvl.1

United States

I've had a phantom 2 vision+ for several months now and have enjoyed it quite a bit.  One day while trying some manual mode flying i flew it directly into the ground hard (pilot error - can't blame anyone but myself).  In any event, the quadcopter still flies fine (actually, I'm surprised at how rugged this thing is, it still flies like a champ).  Unfortunatley, while the quad is fine, the camera/gimbal was smashed to bits.

I couldn't live without the FPV, so I bought a second one and here is where my problems started.  The new one just doesn't seem to be as rock solid in stability/GPS mode as the first one.  It floats all over the place while in GPS mode.  When I put it into fail safe mode, it will land up to 40 meters away from its home point.  It doesn't seem to matter how many times I calibrated everything or how many satellites I have (I've never flown it with fewer than 7).  I'm nervous every time I fly it because it will randomly start to pitch or roll without any input from the sticks and I'm terrified of a fly away happening.

Does anybody have any tips for me?  The only thing different about my setup on the second unit is that I put the prop guards on.  Would those cause this thing to happen?  Finally, I'm thinking about trying to remove the camera from the second quad and try to mate it up to the first one which flies just fine.  Is that type of thing advisable or even possible.  Thanks for any input you can give folks.
2014-10-19
Use props
DJI -Lisa.zhu
lvl.4

China

Hi Sir, try to remove the prop guard as v+ suggested take off weight is ≤1300g. When the prop guard is installed, it is already overloaded.
2014-10-19
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

When you say you've calibrated "everything" what exactly is everything?

As for the prop guards, well they certainly reduce stability so try without them but they still shouldn't cause random pitch and rolls unless there is stronger wind.
2014-10-20
Use props
giesel338
lvl.1

United States

DJI -Lisa.zhu Posted at 2014-10-20 15:46
Hi Sir, try to remove the prop guard as v+ suggested take off weight is ≤1300g. When the prop guard ...

Thanks - I'll try that.  It was on the list of things to try next time I fly.  Cheers
2014-10-20
Use props
giesel338
lvl.1

United States

swomilan Posted at 2014-10-20 21:54
When you say you've calibrated "everything" what exactly is everything?

As for the prop guards, wel ...

RC freshly calibrated in the RC and phantom assistant software and advanced calibration on IMU.  Also, compass calibration in the field multiple times.  I'm running the most recent firmware on everything.
2014-10-20
Use props
giesel338
lvl.1

United States

DJI -Lisa.zhu Posted at 2014-10-20 15:46
Hi Sir, try to remove the prop guard as v+ suggested take off weight is ≤1300g. When the prop guard ...

OK - so it wasn't the prop guards.  I've tried flying without them a couple of times now and it didn't fix the problem.  Also, I had my first proper fly away today.  The thing just started gaining altitude and pitching with no input from me.  I was just able to get control and land it in a bush before it flew away again.

I love this product and don't want to lose it - I can't afford to buy another one.  Can someone from dji please help.....?
2014-10-23
Use props
rod
lvl.4

New Zealand

giesel338@gmail Posted at 2014-10-24 04:38
OK - so it wasn't the prop guards.  I've tried flying without them a couple of times now and it di ...

Hi,
an obvious point I guess but worth making as I had some very poor flight experiences until I realised that I had calibrated in the middle of a sports field , and picked the flattest point to home on which was a grassed cricket wicket. It was only later , when calibrating in another area that I realised that although the cricket wicket was grassed, it was over concrete , obviously with iron reinforcement!  Problems disapperared when moving to a different part of the field. So have you tried a different area? this craft is very sensitive to its surroundings even with 12 satellites that I had. And no, the prop guards are fine- have saved my props on two occasions.
Cheers!
Rod
2014-10-23
Use props
insitb
lvl.3

Singapore

Yeah, good point. Some fields, especially those used for public events etc, have concrete/metal rings embedded in them to tie expo tents, circus tents, hot air balloons and what-have-you to.

I was sitting in the middle of a field one time, tending to my copter, when right next to me I see this half exposed metal ring, totally immovable.

Obviously, I fly in another area now.

2014-10-23
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

giesel338@gmail Posted at 2014-10-24 04:38
OK - so it wasn't the prop guards.  I've tried flying without them a couple of times now and it di ...

What mode are you flying in  FCC or CE?  
Does both the software and the mode selected on the RC all tally with the mode you are using?

Have you set some distance limits,  start small ,  so if it shoots off its coming home after 150 - 200 meters....

Do you calibrate before every flight?

Is there the possibility of high microwave signals or mobile / wifi signals in the area your flying?

Have you considered an independent gps tracker to attatch to your unit as its to expensive to lose.....   and at least if it goes you can find it quick.  As long as it hasn't caused any damage or killed anyone recovery is much more feasible.......

2014-10-25
Use props
DJI -Lisa.zhu
lvl.4

China

rod@voxvideopro Posted at 2014-10-24 05:39
Hi,
an obvious point I guess but worth making as I had some very poor flight experiences until I r ...

Rod, good comment.
2014-10-26
Use props
giesel338
lvl.1

United States

Hello  All - Here is a youtube video documenting my woes.  If you have some time to watch it and can see something I'm obviously doing wrong, would appreciate any other hints you can give.  Sorry about the length and the poor videography skills - wanted to show my entire setup.  Cheers

http://youtu.be/sGn59aUQg3M
2014-12-22
Use props
allbritt
lvl.2

United States

You mentioned in the video you only have 5 satellites.  I didn't think that was enough for it to maintain horizontal and vertical stability?
2014-12-22
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

giesel338@gmail Posted at 2014-12-23 11:29
Hello  All - Here is a youtube video documenting my woes.  If you have some time to watch it and can ...

When you dropped to 5 satellites, it did go to atti mode automatically.  You have to have 6 satellites locked to have GPS lock.  
2014-12-22
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

giesel338@gmail Posted at 2014-12-23 11:29
Hello  All - Here is a youtube video documenting my woes.  If you have some time to watch it and can ...

Have you installed a copper shield inside the Phantom?  It will increase the amount of sats you will get.

Also here is a sat predictor that will tell you how many sats are there.  Just put in your address and change your time zone.

http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com/
2014-12-22
Use props
TSP181
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18258 ft
United States

Could your GPS antenna be damaged from the crash?  I read here they are ceramic and can crack.  Might be the reason for low sat count.   
2014-12-23
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

TSP181 Posted at 2014-12-23 20:45
Could your GPS antenna be damaged from the crash?  I read here they are ceramic and can crack.  Migh ...

Usually when it cracks, it will stop working all together.  But it is a good idea to check that also.
2014-12-23
Use props
giesel338
lvl.1

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-12-23 11:40
When you dropped to 5 satellites, it did go to atti mode automatically.  You have to have 6 satell ...

I didn't know that - thanks for the info - so my problem is down to getting the thing to pick up more satellites
2014-12-23
Use props
giesel338
lvl.1

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-12-23 12:00
Have you installed a copper shield inside the Phantom?  It will increase the amount of sats you wi ...

Good tips - I might try this and let you know.  Cheers
2014-12-23
Use props
giesel338
lvl.1

United States

TSP181 Posted at 2014-12-23 20:45
Could your GPS antenna be damaged from the crash?  I read here they are ceramic and can crack.  Migh ...

This particular phantom has never crashed.  The crash I referred to is an older phantom that I used to have and flew like a dream (until I crached it of course).  I'll check the antenna anyway just to make sure.  Thanks
2014-12-23
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

giesel338@gmail Posted at 2014-12-24 01:08
I didn't know that - thanks for the info - so my problem is down to getting the thing to pick up m ...

Right, if you have 6 sats locked in at compass calibration, and then takeoff and lose 1 or more, the Phantom will change to atti mode.  You can fly in NAZA-M mode all the time, if your switches are both at the top, it will act like GPS mode, but you have home lock and course lock options along with the RTH functions on the switches.  This website will tell you how many sats are up there at any time of the day that you can pick up.  Just enter your address and time zone.  Have you done the copper shield on the inside for the GPS antenna?
2014-12-23
Use props
jollyrgr
New

United States

Good advice Gerry, I did not know that.

I would send #2  back in. If you can cancel it on your credit card do that and immediately order another one. Call into support a half hour before they open so they will talk to you first. I did this over the phone when my first PV2+ arrived with a bad motor. DJI did not mind because 6 months ago were having a hard time getting parts so I am sure my was gutted for the camera and ribbon.

Here are some thoughts:
PV2+ #1 Send it into USdronerepair on facebook for the repair, great guy, great price!

PV2+ #2 Take a tachometer to the motors to see if they are all healthy. I have a better GPS antenna on order as well, and I have more on  order for some friends. I do not need the one I have on order as my stock one works fine for now until I film again. If you want mine to avoid the lead time let me know and I will test it and send it to you. If you are planing to fly more than a few times a month in unfamiliar places you REALLY NEED to do this mod.

Foil the GPS antenna. Dont buy the foil sheets from ebay as they are way too big, add too much weight and do not protect the leads. Get the real copper tape and protect that with Kapton tape. Remember you are shielding the GPS antenna and its leads from the DJI itself and not the other way around so use only as much as you really need.

I feel you pain and have had three flyaways on two different PV's from a location I was working on and we had to shoot. I never want to see any Phantom turn it's back on me again. The first one took seven days to find.

I am putting together a care package for a few pilot friends, PM me if you are interested in one.

I have new foil, tape, GPS antenna, tac, and the 7th channel upgrade on order. I am ordering a few of these so PM me and I will set you up.
2014-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules