Feature Needed for Lost Drone
1235 24 2017-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LOKY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22359 ft
United States

I really don't know if DJI has this option for other drones aside SPARK, but one nice feature would be to have the option to register a drone as lost on DJI web site, and if someone aside the owner try to fly the bird , DJI will lock the drone and record (with proper acceptance from the owner) the coordinates of the attempt.

1) Drone lost
2) Owner register the drone as lost
3) Someone try to fly the bird, DJI lock the drone, and report coordenates to the owner. (this option available, due to privacy concernes , only after an acceptance of the owner)

2017-9-14
Use props
Anuvis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1976736 ft
Greece

Well the known answer... We will forward this to our engineers....
2017-9-14
Use props
LOKY
lvl.4
United States

Anuvis Posted at 2017-9-14 07:40

LOL, yes I know
2017-9-14
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I really like point #3
2017-9-14
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anuvis Posted at 2017-9-14 07:40

Yes, it's a common answer that we see from our DJI moderators, but in defense of this answer...  what other answer could they possibly give that would be satisfactory?

Hypothetical DJI Moderator answer:  I like this idea, and I will code and implement it myself.  Be assured that I will implement this in 20 business days.

That won't work as our moderators are more likely support engineers who are taking some time to keep an eye on the forums, and they are not development engineers.

Now it would be super cool to have a development engineer participate in the forums, but thus far participation seems to be with the individuals who provide us support and not development.
2017-9-14
Use props
Anuvis
Second Officer
Greece

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-14 08:34
Yes, it's a common answer that we see from our DJI moderators, but in defense of this answer...  what other answer could they possibly give that would be satisfactory?

Hypothetical DJI Moderator answer:  I like this idea, and I will code and implement it myself.  Be assured that I will implement this in 20 business days.

Yes  i know of course my comment has entertainment purposes,,,,But there is a big BUT here....We have no real response from the mods about the flight records analysis and the results ....Also we don't have any answer about the "requests" of the users .For example : yes our engineers evaluate your request and this can not implement to our software due to lack of computing power....Come on i am not the only one noticed that???
2017-9-14
Use props
Anuvis
Second Officer
Greece

I hope that my answer did not offend you....My comment has entertainment purposes....
2017-9-14
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anuvis Posted at 2017-9-14 09:22
Yes  i know of course my comment has entertainment purposes,,,,But there is a big BUT here....We have no real response from the mods about the flight records analysis and the results ....Also we don't have any answer about the "requests" of the users .For example : yes our engineers evaluate your request and this can not implement to our software due to lack of computing power....Come on i am not the only one noticed that???

Yep, agreed.  I likewise get frustrated with some of the responses (or lack thereof).

I understand the business model, so I'm more sympathetic than others in these forums.  But I've seen other models where a company's forum participants are more willing to go off script, and I don't think it's a model that would hurt DJI business (in fact I personally think it would help business).

So here's a vote from me for the DJI Moderators to really engage in conversations.  I know that higher ups would need to approve this practice, but I think it would really help.
2017-9-14
Use props
Firecat83
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89974 ft
United States

Yes I would definitely like to see "LOST DRONE" as part of our forum.  I lost my first P4P in a tree, and while I was getting the folks together to retrieve it, it was gone.  I think that would be a very positive move for DJI
2017-9-14
Use props
Sassafras4me
lvl.2
United States

It would pretty much be an essential update. Much like Apple's Find my iPhone feature, which works really well.
2017-9-14
Use props
LOKY
lvl.4
United States

Anuvis Posted at 2017-9-14 09:26
I hope that my answer did not offend you....My comment has entertainment purposes....

LOL, of course not
2017-9-14
Use props
Anuvis
Second Officer
Greece

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-14 09:26
Yep, agreed.  I likewise get frustrated with some of the responses (or lack thereof).

I understand the business model, so I'm more sympathetic than others in these forums.  But I've seen other models where a company's forum participants are more willing to go off script, and I don't think it's a model that would hurt DJI business (in fact I personally think it would help business).

Yes i fully agree with you but i think some times that mods are forum bots.....Of course a 100% engineer mod is welcome....
2017-9-14
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

LOKY,I understand it wil be frustrated to lost a drone and picked up by a stranger. However, our products do not have this function. You can attach some tag on your drone and make it easier to find. Thanks for your attention.
2017-9-14
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

not sure why privacy concern, if its your device.   its like iPhones and iPads.. if you flag them as stolen in "find my iPhone" application it can give u exact gps location minute to minute, allow you to buzz it, etc etc.

i agree that dji for all drones should implement an activation lock to stolen drones or implement a very annoyingly small circle to fly in like 0.5 M or have the ESC constantly non stop beep while disabled,  and app displays that the device is locked down to a different account holder..and block all reset attempts to reflash the firmware.. only way to unlock the drone and thus the USB data pins and the app is to log to the correct account and unlock the drone..  

would be insanely easy for DJi to fix..  basically turn entire globe into a NFZ no take off, apply a alert on app and deny all functions to that drone until it is unlocked.. disable the USB data in firmware if it is locked so people cannot reflash it or anything.  then you can get a notification in email or on your app via push that someoen has attempted to launch the drone.. you can mayube even apple a custom return message via app.. simple push..all has ot be done to unlock it is use the right account, click unlock..

2017-9-14
Use props
LOKY
lvl.4
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-14 19:21
LOKY,I understand it wil be frustrated to lost a drone and picked up by a stranger. However, our products do not have this function. You can attach some tag on your drone and make it easier to find. Thanks for your attention.

Elektra, are you joking right? A thief, "oh, look this tag with name and address , better return this to the owner!". Of course I know DJI doesn't have this feature, and I know also that is VERY easy to implement. All drones have a UIN , the same way a drone can be grounded if doesn't have the latest firmware, DJI can ground a drone with a specific UIN was lost, and report the coordinates if someone try to re-activate the drone.  I can tell you that is very easy to implement, even with my short 35 years of software development experience can do that.
2017-9-14
Use props
larrymull
lvl.3
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

LOKY Posted at 2017-9-14 20:00
Elektra, are you joking right? A thief, "oh, look this tag with name and address , better return this to the owner!". Of course I know DJI doesn't have this feature, and I know also that is VERY easy to implement. All drones have a UIN , the same way a drone can be grounded if doesn't have the latest firmware, DJI can ground a drone with a specific UIN was lost, and report the coordinates if someone try to re-activate the drone.  I can tell you that is very easy to implement, even with my short 35 years of software development experience can do that.

Almost like the find my phone in iOS i presume
2017-9-14
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

maybe its a lack of understanding of our culture being reason DJi isn't jumping on this?     

i dont know but dji needs to understand no one is going to just return your drone!  and why would they?   basically been presented with free $500+ drone.. if they aren't kids it will be resold on ebay or something.. if they are kids it will end up destroyed..after they figured out how to use it...if its teenagers it be sold for drugs and cheap sex
2017-9-14
Use props
Anuvis
Second Officer
Greece

Think only this scenario : You lost your registered drone , someone finds it and keeps it for him self, the other day he took your stolen drone put some weed or drug pills on it and goes to fly up for a jail or anything else a military camp for exampe....The authorities find the drone: oh its registered to you lets find him and put him in jail!!!. Prove anythi8ng you want after that.....
2017-9-15
Use props
Anuvis
Second Officer
Greece

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-14 20:47
maybe its a lack of understanding of our culture being reason DJi isn't jumping on this?     

i dont know but dji needs to understand no one is going to just return your drone!  and why would they?   basically been presented with free $500+ drone.. if they aren't kids it will be resold on ebay or something.. if they are kids it will end up destroyed..after they figured out how to use it...if its teenagers it be sold for drugs and cheap sex

Drugs and cheap sex i fxxxxg love your comments!!!
2017-9-15
Use props
Arnor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

I see some extra issues with this implementation  request :
- The drone doesn't have a direct mobile connection so it can't poll a DJI server to know if it needs to locks himself unless it's connected to a remote with a device connected to internet.
- DJI 'll know real time where you are and where you are flying
- DJI needs to setup an infrastructure to monitor all flying drones everywhere, this is big problem : what if service is down? All drones grounded? Locked while in flight?
- If someone finds a lost drone, he still can reset it and i don't see a way of avoiding this without steps 1->3. You could imagine that if someone try to register a lost drone with a new DJI account it 'd block it and so the drone 'd be grounded. But this gives no guarantee that someone 'll give it back.

My 2$ :-)
2017-9-15
Use props
Arnor
Second Officer
Belgium

Anuvis Posted at 2017-9-15 01:39
Think only this scenario : You lost your registered drone , someone finds it and keeps it for him self, the other day he took your stolen drone put some weed or drug pills on it and goes to fly up for a jail or anything else a military camp for exampe....The authorities find the drone: oh its registered to you lets find him and put him in jail!!!. Prove anythi8ng you want after that.....

Same issues with your car, bike, ...

File a stolen notice at your police office when you drone is lost/stolen but then you have to accept the risks someone 'll come after you because it crashed into their backyard.
2017-9-15
Use props
Arnor
Second Officer
Belgium

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-14 20:47

If someone wants to return it : a tag 'll do the trick.

If someone wants to take it : a tag, locks, grounded, ...won't matter. Your drone is gone.
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Arnor Posted at 2017-9-15 02:02

If someone wants to take it : a tag, locks, grounded, ...won't matter. Your drone is gone.

Thanks for your understanding.
2017-9-15
Use props
LOKY
lvl.4
United States

Arnor Posted at 2017-9-15 02:02

The all implementation is for the ones that doesn't want to return. Good, doesn't want to return, fine, but the thief is not going to be able to fly anyways, Is not that difficult to implement, but well, lets try to scary any thief with a tag.
2017-9-15
Use props
LOKY
lvl.4
United States

Arnor Posted at 2017-9-15 01:57
I see some extra issues with this implementation  request :
- The drone doesn't have a direct mobile connection so it can't poll a DJI server to know if it needs to locks himself unless it's connected to a remote with a device connected to internet.
- DJI 'll know real time where you are and where you are flying

- The drone doesn't have a direct connection, but DJI GO has, when needed.
- DJI doesn't need to know real time where I am flying, just when the drone is reported to lost.
- Of course they don't need to set a infrastructure to monitor ALL drones, just the ones are reported lost.
- Reset a drone doesn't matter, they can't reset the UIN.
- I don't care f they give back, I care that no one is going to use my stolen drone.
2017-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules