Using OTG Voids Spark Warranties
5259 72 2017-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LOKY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22359 ft
United States

The basic question here, about moderators giving "we don't support", "that can't be used" etc, how much they speak in the name of DJI? For me , they are "just" forum moderators, and they in some instances can't speak in the name of DJI. They reply to basic questions, copy and paste scripted answers "our engineers are working", etc. Nothing bad on that, BUT, I don't think for any "major" issue, they don't have absolutely no power , they just reply what they may know or their interpretation.
"send the logs", bla bla, and I did not see any feedback on that, most of the techincal analysis on someone's logs were made by forum users.

On my 2c, DJI forum is not that well managed, is too many threads created here for 1st users, too many duplicity in threads, (I am just shooting my own foot here, by the way). Look how many threads we have , "firmware update on 5%", or asking questions that were over and over answered here, or basic questions that are just in front of the manual.
2017-9-15
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-15 09:07
while i agree with you that it has re-engaged us as a community with concern and gets to to think about things differently.   i also have to say i doubt she is correct on this one.  i think maybe didn't complete her thought or said it wrong.  

my thinking of this is because it is a feature we can utilize it is not blocked by DJI at all, it is in direct violation of laws in place to protect consumers in both the US and EU..  i imagine in other regions/nations and areas as well..  for dji to void our warranties over using OTG.

You have more resources to devote to legal avenues than many in these forums have (which is good).

Thus far, of all the cases that have been shared here, I don't think there has been a single one that was denied due to OTG usage.
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-15 09:12
You have more resources to devote to legal avenues than many in these forums have (which is good).

Thus far, of all the cases that have been shared here, I don't think there has been a single one that was denied due to OTG usage.

well i dont think i have that much brass so to speak.. just have the attitude to get things down.. and i dont like backing down to challenges.   i wish that was more people like that in the world sometimes, good to fight corporate greed at the very least.  

i doubt Dji wants to deny us either for using OTG.   i think DJI Elektra didn't complete her thought before posting.  

2017-9-15
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

LOKY Posted at 2017-9-15 09:10
The basic question here, about moderators giving "we don't support", "that can't be used" etc, how much they speak in the name of DJI? For me , they are "just" forum moderators, and they in some instances can't speak in the name of DJI. They reply to basic questions, copy and paste scripted answers "our engineers are working", etc. Nothing bad on that, BUT, I don't think for any "major" issue, they don't have absolutely no power , they just reply what they may know or their interpretation.
"send the logs", bla bla, and I did not see any feedback on that, most of the techincal analysis on someone's logs were made by forum users.

You have covered a lot of different subjects in one amazing post!  Lots of profound observations in your post.

One:  DJI Moderators.  They are obviously relying on scripts, and very rarely do they ever break from scripts.  That's not necessarily a bad thing from the company perspective.  Scripts are a "safe space" under which to operate.  Scripts are business and legal approved.  A moderator will never lose a job sticking with a script, and risks more breaking from a script.  Also, if a moderator is ever going to break from a script, it's not going to be in response to an argument or a challenge or a threat.

Two:  DJI Moderator power and authority.  They don't have much.  What I have seen is that they can't/won't commit to dates, they will not commit to features, they will not confirm defects.  But what they have done in some cases is help accelerate responses to cases.  Sometimes to the satisfaction of a customer, sometimes not so satisfying.  But they have helped accelerate cases to conclusions.

Three:  DJI Moderator job description.  I've had a moderator confirm that moderating these forums is not their sole/primary responsibility.  They serve on front line of support (phone/email), and a sub-task of their position is to pay some attention to the forums.

Four:  Actually moderating.  I think that their business model for the forums didn't necessarily align with their sales model for the spark.  The spark opened up a whole new world of users (new and inexperienced to drones), and I don't think that they were prepared for this in the forums, or even on the front line of support.  Given the complaints I've seen on how long it takes to resolve a case, my sense is that they didn't staff up their support line as much as the success of the spark required (if at all).  As such, there is very little time available to actually truly "moderate".

Five:  The forum participants themselves.  As is the case with any forum, there are different categories of participants.  These categories are pretty uniform across any forum of any topic.  There are participants whose primary purpose is to solve a specific issue/complaint and attempt to get action on their issues, and then disappear.  There are participants whose primary purpose is to vent about unhappiness, and they are committed to participate until their satisfaction of venting is met.  The longer term participants are those with strong passion for the topic (the enthusiasts).  They want to help, they want to learn, and advance their hobby.  The business attempts to leverage these individuals (wisely) to reduce business support costs.

I sense in these DJI forums an unanswered technical component.  The business has support representatives who moderate, but I haven't seen/felt any technical representatives from the business.  I think that would greatly enhance the forums.
2017-9-15
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I did one test today (two flights), where I flew with OTG cable (first flight), and then I flew using wifi.  My attempt was to fly the same route and under the same conditions as much as I could control.  I ended up cutting my wifi flight early (more on that below).

Here is the flight log of my OTG flight.  I went around the park, and then I decided to do a bit of testing using RTH (for other forum posts).

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/90IB6TQX5CB15JAOQ8ZF/

Here is my wifi flight.  My wifi flight consisted of no power saving mode (max performance), no Bluetooth, connected using 5.8Ghz (I believe 2.4Ghz would perform better, a test for another time).  I ended up cutting my flight short, and going only part way around the park, as I was getting wind warnings and I had numerous lengthy disconnects and reconnects (it was horrible).

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/ZO4NWHC8U0YCU7XZGWLR/

I need to try 2.4Ghz, but given that the wind picked up during my attempts to fly, I decided to wait for another time to perform this test.

Of note, the wind existed in the first flight, but really picked up some steam in the second flight.  I do not consider wind to be a factor in this "connection" test, but smarter people can let me know if wind could in fact be a factor.
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-15 12:31
I did one test today (two flights), where I flew with OTG cable (first flight), and then I flew using wifi.  My attempt was to fly the same route and under the same conditions as much as I could control.  I ended up cutting my wifi flight early (more on that below).

Here is the flight log of my OTG flight.  I went around the park, and then I decided to do a bit of testing using RTH (for other forum posts).

OTG made a difference to you.  less drop outs and link restores and made a complete lap..
2017-9-15
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-15 13:50
OTG made a difference to you.  less drop outs and link restores and made a complete lap..

I still need to try 2.4Ghz, but yes the 5.8Ghz flight was terrible.
2017-9-15
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-15 09:38
You have covered a lot of different subjects in one amazing post!  Lots of profound observations in your post.

One:  DJI Moderators.  They are obviously relying on scripts, and very rarely do they ever break from scripts.  That's not necessarily a bad thing from the company perspective.  Scripts are a "safe space" under which to operate.  Scripts are business and legal approved.  A moderator will never lose a job sticking with a script, and risks more breaking from a script.  Also, if a moderator is ever going to break from a script, it's not going to be in response to an argument or a challenge or a threat.

What a wonderful, comprehensive and absolutely accurate analysis! Thank you Charles, I agree 100% and had myself written very similar in other fora. Spark has somewhat "exploded" the market for good reasons, but it is a challenge to deal with this explosion (although positive I believe).
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-15 14:01
I still need to try 2.4Ghz, but yes the 5.8Ghz flight was terrible.

and  for sake of removing errors you should run the test multiple times at different times of the day.. like early AM, lunch, afternoon/dusk.   logic is maybe with stark up in the air and having a high gain antenna its picking things up you aren't on ground..  i think 2.4Ghz band is fairly saturated in dense neighborhoods like around that park..  

also i suggest doing a RC relinking to calibrate the wifi so it scans and finds a clear channel on its own to link the RC and aircraft..back when i had a spark if i was getting limited range because of saturated wifi, i land it and do an RC relinking..then try again, usually that made a huge difference..
2017-9-15
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-15 12:31

What I have observed in you your WiFi flight log although it has nothig to do with WiFi or OTG is this:

Why did your Spark not initiate RTH after 3 seconds? I have had the same on various occasions.

Extract flightlog

Extract flightlog
Flightlog Charles.JPG
2017-9-15
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-15 14:13
and  for sake of removing errors you should run the test multiple times at different times of the day.. like early AM, lunch, afternoon/dusk.   logic is maybe with stark up in the air and having a high gain antenna its picking things up you aren't on ground..  i think 2.4Ghz band is fairly saturated in dense neighborhoods like around that park..  

also i suggest doing a RC relinking to calibrate the wifi so it scans and finds a clear channel on its own to link the RC and aircraft..back when i had a spark if i was getting limited range because of saturated wifi, i land it and do an RC relinking..then try again, usually that made a huge difference..

Yes, I like those ideas.  In particular the relinking, that's worth a try as well.  With all the permutations of things to try, I'm trying to reduce them down to the optimal conditions.  So I won't try various power saving options on the phone (I'll go with max performance), and I won't try with Bluetooth on.  I've already confirmed that the link stinks even at max performance and with Bluetooth off.  So I'll try 2.4Ghz and see if there's an improvement, and then I'll try relinking the RC to craft and see if that cleans things up.

The various time a day... that's a tougher one due to my job.
2017-9-15
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-15 14:21
What I have observed in you your WiFi flight log although it has nothig to do with WiFi or OTG is this:

That did not escape me.  There are two instances (as you note) where I exceeded the three seconds, and in both those instances auto RTH was not engaged.  I would have expected this if I lost GPS (it wouldn't know where to go), and I would have expected this if a home point was not set (both flights did have a home point).

I was going to dig in the manual and see if there's some setting some place that I need to set to enable this, but I thought this was default behavior.
2017-9-15
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-15 14:32
That did not escape me.  There are two instances (as you note) where I exceeded the three seconds, and in both those instances auto RTH was not engaged.  I would have expected this if I lost GPS (it wouldn't know where to go), and I would have expected this if a home point was not set (both flights did have a home point).

I was going to dig in the manual and see if there's some setting some place that I need to set to enable this, but I thought this was default behavior.

As mentioned, I have had the same at a few occasions (very few, I believe two only according to my flightlogs). And it never has been critical at all. Nevertheless it is not in conformity with all that I have read so far. By the way, when it happened to me it was with OTG connection, but this should not matter.
2017-9-15
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-15 14:40
As mentioned, I have had the same at a few occasions (very few, I believe two only according to my flightlogs). And it never has been critical at all. Nevertheless it is not in conformity with all that I have read so far. By the way, when it happened to me it was with OTG connection, but this should not matter.

Page 14 of the manual.  It doesn't appear to be related to any settings.  It says that when under RC control, 3 seconds of disconnect will initiate the failsafe RTH.  This did not occur with me.  I wonder if it would initiate after 20 seconds (which is suppose to be the time for phone as RC).
2017-9-15
Use props
edrayton
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115919 ft
United States

otg is required to use dji goggles with spark
2017-9-15
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

edrayton Posted at 2017-9-15 15:20
otg is required to use dji goggles with spark

Indeed, I own the goggles.  And thus far I am finding otg to be superior to wifi for rc connection.
2017-9-15
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Today I found time to test wireless behavior (as before), this time using 2.4Ghz.  Same equipment as before, same location as before, and nearly the same weather conditions (not quite as windy).  There were two soccer games in progress in the park (more on that later), so I did not perform a perimeter flight.  Instead I flew across the park at a similar distance as I was last time when I manifested connection difficulties.

The flight was perfect.  I observed no disconnects.  I didn't really pay close attention to see if I was experiencing any video lag (given that children were around, I had eyes on craft much more diligently).  If 2.4Ghz continues to behave well, I may ditch using the OTG cables.

I still want to perform a distance test (this park is not suitable for a  distance test), but given what I know and have learned from the fine people on this forum, 2.4Ghz should be an improvement in range unless there's a lot of noise in the flight environment on this frequency.

On a separate and unrelated note:  I was approached by someone who supervises the games and the referees.  He asked a few questions about my flying, and then informed me that he wanted to be sure I was not flying near the kids or above the kids.  I informed him that I'm very strict with my behavior and adherence to the rules and regulations, and that I was going to keep a significant (and extremely safe) distance from all the children.  I further said that if he observed anything that I might be doing which caused him concern, that I wanted him to approach me immediately so that I could rectify my behavior.  Of course I never gave him cause to do so.

I wanted to test and see if there was any difference in OTG behavior since the most recent app update, but I thought it best to try another time.

2017-9-23
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

I am having latency issues as well that appeared after this latest Go 4 update.  I am new to this forum and and fairly new to DJI products.  I have seen a lot of discussion about the use of OTG with the Spark.  I have read quite a few posts and there seems to be a lot of discussion, emotion and a few arguments around this issue.  I am a simple guy from a pretty simple place so maybe i am missing something but here is my opinion on the subject for what it is worth.  

I am unclear why anyone would be arguing the use of the OTG cable as a solution for connection/transmission issues.  DJI says it is not supported.  Their product.  Their rules.  They say, if I am not mistaken, that you should connect to the RC via wifi and that is how the system was designed to operate.  Ok that is what I will do.  My expectation as a consumer is that if I use the system as instructed and as designed then it should work as advertised.  It appears it does not.  I don't want an unsupported workaround.  I want a fix.  I want to be able to use the product with any supported device without makeshift and inconvenient modifications.  I am not sure why anyone that purchased this product would be satisfied or would be posting on this site that things would be better if they would just support OTG.  You should expect what you paid for to operate as designed and advertised with any host device that is listed as supported.  Period.  It does not.

Again not trying to step on any toes of the more experienced and more knowledgeable members but it seems to me that when you are asking DJI to support OTG you are giving them an out to not fix the issues with their product.
2017-9-23
Use props
Joepub1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 557818 ft
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-23 12:15
Today I found time to test wireless behavior (as before), this time using 2.4Ghz.  Same equipment as before, same location as before, and nearly the same weather conditions (not quite as windy).  There were two soccer games in progress in the park (more on that later), so I did not perform a perimeter flight.  Instead I flew across the park at a similar distance as I was last time when I manifested connection difficulties.

The flight was perfect.  I observed no disconnects.  I didn't really pay close attention to see if I was experiencing any video lag (given that children were around, I had eyes on craft much more diligently).  If 2.4Ghz continues to behave well, I may ditch using the OTG cables.

Let's face it Charles, the only reason we keep bring up the topic of the OTG cable is because of the app. They;re trying to stuff the electronics (software) of a Boeing 737 into a Cessina. The app is way bloated, almost 3 times the size of the Litchi app. I'll expand on that in a moment, but the Go 4 app is the problem. They could solve alot of problems if they would would put out a "lite" version, one that you would use just for your basic flight, you know, like GETTING IT OFF THE GROUND! We could call it the DJI Go 4 You Get To Fly Today app.

I tried the .10 version today. It would not hook up OTG, and wifi was a disaster. The video was terrible and at the 60% mark of the battery it completely froze my phone up causing it to restart in the middle of a flight. 3 tries, no go anything. I've already put .09 back on my phone, I want no part of the update.

On a positive note, I took a short road trip down to a local park tonight and had two wonderful flights, both with the Litchi app (again one third the size DJI GO 4). I had forgot my OTG cable at the house, so I really had no choice but to use the Litchi app. It does not support OTG either, it will hook up OTG, but your missing some vital info, like your battery level. What it will do is fly like a bandit on wifi. One 1-second drop of data in 26 minutes, almost perfect video feed, phone barely got warm.The Spark is a great bird when you can finally get it in the air.
2017-9-23
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

Joepub1 Posted at 2017-9-23 15:52
Let's face it Charles, the only reason we keep bring up the topic of the OTG cable is because of the app. They;re trying to stuff the electronics (software) of a Boeing 737 into a Cessina. The app is way bloated, almost 3 times the size of the Litchi app. I'll expand on that in a moment, but the Go 4 app is the problem. They could solve alot of problems if they would would put out a "lite" version, one that you would use just for your basic flight, you know, like GETTING IT OFF THE GROUND! We could call it the DJI Go 4 You Get To Fly Today app.

I tried the .10 version today. It would not hook up OTG, and wifi was a disaster. The video was terrible and at the 60% mark of the battery it completely froze my phone up causing it to restart in the middle of a flight. 3 tries, no go anything. I've already put .09 back on my phone, I want no part of the update.

Did all your connection and latency problems when you downgraded to the previous version (4.1.9)?  Where does one find the older versions?  The Apple App store only appears to have the latest version.  Thanks for your help.
2017-9-23
Use props
Joepub1
lvl.3
United States

Kansas Boy Posted at 2017-9-23 16:09
Did all your connection and latency problems when you downgraded to the previous version (4.1.9)?  Where does one find the older versions?  The Apple App store only appears to have the latest version.  Thanks for your help.

You can try Aptoide.com. It's a third-party app store. I'm not endorsing using it, but it's out there.
2017-9-23
Use props
van der Djiang
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24856 ft
Indonesia

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-14 08:51
And I'll throw in chocolate with Wachtberger's flowers!

Hi Charles,

I have the same problem on GPS lost suddenly. I did not use OTG to connect my spark with RC. I used wifi instead.

I'm pretty sure that DJI has still some issue with spark.
I have sent my spark back to DJI after only a couple of hours flying

2017-9-23
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16502930 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've only been flying the Spark for about 2 weeks and had some weird experiences with using Wifi.  I received the full kit as a birthday gift.  First thing I did was do the Firmware Updates, the Spark and Batteries were no issue, was not able to get the RC to get past the 5% stage and tried repeatedly using my LG-G4 android and a Samsung Tablet.  Same result, the RC starts beeping and never updates, gets stuck at 5%.   Anyway I found out that this firmware update being required still allowed me to fly, so I did.  Keeping the drone in line of site the whole time, I had almost non-stop link failures and lost video on the phone, while control of the spark remained.  After a couple flights I quit getting connected at all with my phone, so I tried to use my Samsung Tablet and that worked fine, but still had lots of drops of the video feed.  I then tried using OTG cable and the issues of losing the video feed have disappeared except for one flight that went out about 5,000 feet but I drifted behind some trees or something and lost contact and was offered to have the spark RTH automatically.  I was in Sport mode and ended up flying into the some tree branches (found this out watching the video after the fact).  Spark bounced around and appears to have turned sideways but then stabilized and returned home fine.  So the OTG has eliminated the almost constant loss of video feed for me.  My max distance out so far was 5,599 Feet at an altitude of 221 feet.  This was over water/along a beach at my home.  So range is pretty good, but without the OTG cable I'm afraid I would constantly lose the feed and not being able to see the drone at that range how would I fly it home?  
2017-9-23
Use props
JxckSweeney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 634692 ft
United States

So is my warranty voided now because i used otg once or if in the event of a crash i was using otg they will void my warranty.
2017-9-26
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JxckSweeney Posted at 2017-9-26 05:00
So is my warranty voided now because i used otg once or if in the event of a crash i was using otg they will void my warranty.

According to DJI Elektra (linked in the opening comment of this forum discussion) yes.  But we remain uncertain.  We have speculated that DJI Elektra "overstated" the company position in this forum discussion (the various reasons abound), but no DJI Moderator has offered any different statement.  Until a DJI moderator offers a different statement, this is the most direct and best information we have, and users of OTG on equipment other than the spark/goggles combo are doing so at their own risk.
2017-9-26
Use props
djiuser_UQOYMd4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 767349 ft
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-14 10:58
Based on my reading of the forums, the iPhones seem to have superior wifi connection.  Most issues seem to be related to the android platform.  I've got the Galaxy S7 Edge.

Charles, I have a S7 Edge (T-Mobile variant). I'm 99% sure I want to buy the Spark, the only thing I was curious about is the app. It doesn't have the best ratings on the Play Store. What operating system are you on and does it crash a lot for you? When it crashes does the video recording still continue? Thanks!
2017-9-26
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_UQOYMd4 Posted at 2017-9-26 07:25
Charles, I have a S7 Edge (T-Mobile variant). I'm 99% sure I want to buy the Spark, the only thing I was curious about is the app. It doesn't have the best ratings on the Play Store. What operating system are you on and does it crash a lot for you? When it crashes does the video recording still continue? Thanks!

I've experience with the app on a variety of devices and platforms (my neighbor uses the ipad for his device), and my primary device is the S7 Edge.  My comments here are specific ONLY to the S7 Edge, and not about any other android device.

It's actually quite stable on the S7 Edge.  I have had an occasional crash, but it's an exception and not a norm.  It's not been so recent that I could say "yes it happened last weekend" or "it happened the weekend before", but it's not been so long ago that I could say "it's extremely rare".  On an arbitrary scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 3 for crashing.

To your other question about "continuing to record", my recollection is that the spark continues to record and store video locally, but the S7 Edge does not continue to cache the recording.  I don't recall the behavior when the app recovers (I don't recall if it recognizes that the spark is recording or how the controls behave).  Whenever I've had the app crash and restart, I've been more focused on making sure I can pilot it back.

As far as wifi connection to the RC, I've done some limited testing, and my observations are that 5.8Ghz connection was horribly unstable, where 2.4Ghz was flawless.  I need to continue some repetitive testing to determine if 2.4Ghz is consistently stable.  I have determined (in my own mind) that 5.8Ghz is ridiculously unstable (and I'd rather use OTG).  But if 2.4Ghz demonstrates itself to be reliable, I'll ditch using the cable.  Unfortunately the weather where I live has been poor for flying, so I've not had opportunity to repeat my 2.4Ghz tests.
2017-9-26
Use props
djiuser_UQOYMd4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 767349 ft
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-26 07:45
I've experience with the app on a variety of devices and platforms (my neighbor uses the ipad for his device), and my primary device is the S7 Edge.  My comments here are specific ONLY to the S7 Edge, and not about any other android device.

It's actually quite stable on the S7 Edge.  I have had an occasional crash, but it's an exception and not a norm.  It's not been so recent that I could say "yes it happened last weekend" or "it happened the weekend before", but it's not been so long ago that I could say "it's extremely rare".  On an arbitrary scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 3 for crashing.

Thank you for all the information and the quick response! Before I drop $700 on the fly more combo I wanted to make sure it worked with my phone! Looks like ill use 2.4 Ghz then. Do you use the most updated app or wait until people test it first on the Google Play store before you update?
2017-9-26
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_UQOYMd4 Posted at 2017-9-26 07:49
Thank you for all the information and the quick response! Before I drop $700 on the fly more combo I wanted to make sure it worked with my phone! Looks like ill use 2.4 Ghz then. Do you use the most updated app or wait until people test it first on the Google Play store before you update?

My wife (who is in marketing) calls me a classic "early adopter".  I'm on any/every new version of any/every product and software as quickly as possible.  The last Spark update was August 21, and I was installing it within minutes of its release.  The last DJI GO 4 software update on Android was maybe a week-ish ago, and just because I'm neurotic (and maybe a tad OCD), I check for new versions of all android software at least once a day.
2017-9-26
Use props
Joepub1
lvl.3
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-26 07:52
My wife (who is in marketing) calls me a classic "early adopter".  I'm on any/every new version of any/every product and software as quickly as possible.  The last Spark update was August 21, and I was installing it within minutes of its release.  The last DJI GO 4 software update on Android was maybe a week-ish ago, and just because I'm neurotic (and maybe a tad OCD), I check for new versions of all android software at least once a day.

Do you have the same issues with DJI go for your standard? Was considering a Phantom 3SE, but I don't want to double my headaches.I'm in a city, so I'm limited how far out I can fly from any point (I'm a LOS kind of guy anyway) but I'm looking for more video options and maybe something my old eyed can see beyond 600 ft.
2017-9-26
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Joepub1 Posted at 2017-9-26 09:50
Do you have the same issues with DJI go for your standard? Was considering a Phantom 3SE, but I don't want to double my headaches.I'm in a city, so I'm limited how far out I can fly from any point (I'm a LOS kind of guy anyway) but I'm looking for more video options and maybe something my old eyed can see beyond 600 ft.

I don't recall DJI Go crashing on me.

I've found that the P3S seems to have a lesser range than the spark.  Once I get out to 800 feet, I end up having connection issues.  These haven't been a huge detriment to me, as the auto RTH has proved effective.

I like flying the spark more than the P3S, but my use case is fairly specific.  I boat, and I've found that it is much easier to launch and land the spark from the boat than it is to launch and land the P3S.

The P3S is easier to see at a distance (depending on conditions), but P3S also won't fly as far (for me) as the Spark will fly.

I will add one more note of personal preference (don't know if it will apply to you).  Even though the spark is sold as an intro drone (a drone for beginners), I am much happier that I started on a P3S.  The P3S has more flight options than the Spark (I can manually go into atti mode), and I believe that I have benefited from practicing flying the P3S first.

In conclusion:  I like my spark more than my P3S, but I'm happy to have started with the P3S first (and I wouldn't go back and change that).
2017-9-26
Use props
Joepub1
lvl.3
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-26 10:00
I don't recall DJI Go crashing on me.

I've found that the P3S seems to have a lesser range than the spark.  Once I get out to 800 feet, I end up having connection issues.  These haven't been a huge detriment to me, as the auto RTH has proved effective.

Thanks for the info. The Phantom SE has a two mile range, up to 4k video, the updated GPS hardware, and the sensors on the bottom. For $599 it won't break the bank, and I'm not trying to replace the Spark, just trying to give myself more options on those days you just have to go fly. Thanks Charles!
2017-9-26
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Joepub1 Posted at 2017-9-26 10:15
Thanks for the info. The Phantom SE has a two mile range, up to 4k video, the updated GPS hardware, and the sensors on the bottom. For $599 it won't break the bank, and I'm not trying to replace the Spark, just trying to give myself more options on those days you just have to go fly. Thanks Charles!

I had eyed buying another Phantom Series drone, but I think I've grown too attached to "smallness".  So Mavic's on my mind.  Not enough yet to shell out the $$$, but enough for me to keep thinking about it.
2017-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules