Crashed my P4P, is it worth sending it for a repair?
1216 32 2017-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alex_tseli
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4630653 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Hi all!

After 8 happy months and 400km of flying I have crashed my bird into a pile of stones while flying backwards in ATTI mode. I am 90% sure it was my fault (with 10% chance, that it flipped on its own when I switched from ATTI to P while still flying backwards) and current state is that the camera was completely ripped off (I searched for it for an hour, but couldn't find it ) and one wing cracked. It can still fly without a camera and with strange noise.

I don't have DJI care or whatever insurance, so I am wondering if it makes sense to buy a new one which is just ~150$ more expensive than a replacement P4P in the DJI store (without an RC and the charger) or to send it for a repair (which I think might be quite expensive as the camera costs 800-900$ without any repair costs). Thank you for any hints or advice!

Cheers, Alex
2017-9-14
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

Buy a new one..old one keep as spare parts as when u need parts after new bird's warranty expire..
2017-9-14
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

It happens to many of us. We learn from our mistakes.  I would go ahead and buy another and use old one for parts later on if needed.
2017-9-14
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

Way the cost of getting a new one vs being repaired and see
2017-9-14
Use props
alex_tseli
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

BagoDJIoperator Posted at 2017-9-14 11:17
Way the cost of getting a new one vs being repaired and see

Thanks, that is clear I wanted to check experiences in similar situation first before involving myself in sending and waiting
2017-9-14
Use props
alex_tseli
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

Siambuddhas Gro Posted at 2017-9-14 08:48
Buy a new one..old one keep as spare parts as when u need parts after new bird's warranty expire..

Thanks, that is what I am going to do!
2017-9-14
Use props
alex_tseli
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-9-14 08:51
It happens to many of us. We learn from our mistakes.  I would go ahead and buy another and use old one for parts later on if needed.

I feel the taste of it now, thanks
2017-9-14
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

For me.... Buy new.... Keep the old one for giggles, but get a new one...
2017-9-14
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

I would like to learn more from your mistake please?
You say you were flying backwards in ATTI mode and in mid flight you switched from ATTI to P mode and that is when the accident occurred, correct?
If not, can you explain?
If yes, would you say that making that switch may have caused the crash or contributed and if so how?
I'm thinking it had something to do with stability, as changing modes in mid flight something caused the craft to momentarily become unstable and resulted in the tumble.  Either that or you simply crashed in to the rocks on your own by accident.
Thank you for helping
2017-9-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

alex_tseli Posted at 2017-9-14 12:06
Thanks, that is clear  I wanted to check experiences in similar situation first before involving myself in sending and waiting

Sorry to read about your crash and camera loss. It would be nice to go back and find that lost element.

Do you know exactly what caused your crash? Post a link to that flight LOG.
www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload

RedHotPoker

2017-9-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would also recommend to buy a new one.
2017-9-14
Use props
Olivier Vietti-
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11618934 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

at this rate, the future of dji is assured ;-)
2017-9-14
Use props
charlesP4P
lvl.2
Flight distance : 130230 ft
United Kingdom

Maybe DJI would be kind enough to sell a new bird without controller?
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

charlesP4P Posted at 2017-9-15 00:07
Maybe DJI would be kind enough to sell a new bird without controller?

Yes, DJI sell the drone without RC and charger, but it seems the  Phantom 4 Pro Aircraft (Excludes Remote Controller and Battery Charger) is out of stock now, But the customers can set an IN STOCK REMINDER. 1.png
2017-9-15
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

alex_tseli Posted at 2017-9-14 12:06
Thanks, that is clear  I wanted to check experiences in similar situation first before involving myself in sending and waiting

I havent any issues with mine, *knock on wood* hope it goes well for ya
2017-9-15
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-15 00:57
Yes, DJI sell the drone without RC and charger, but it seems the  Phantom 4 Pro Aircraft (Excludes Remote Controller and Battery Charger) is out of stock now, But the customers can set an IN STOCK REMINDER.[view_image]

DJI has an ongoing struggle with inventories.  I understand why, inventory is expensive, and they can't keep 1000's on the shelf just waiting.  So using LEAN principles of manufacturing they are building at the same rate as demand.  But that leaves only a small margin for repairs and replacement parts.  I think this is why we see so many complaints in the Forums about their service.  They aren't evil, but they run their inventories very tight, this can easily lead to the type of flow issues in repairs as we often see.  

But I do love their drones..... awesome stuff!
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Sorry to read on your accident. Sounds like you took a massive hit. For the record, there are always refurbished aircraft you can consider through the online store as well.
2017-9-15
Use props
alex_tseli
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-15 12:54
Sorry to read on your accident. Sounds like you took a massive hit. For the record, there are always refurbished aircraft you can consider through the online store as well.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I've checked and haven't found P4P, just the P4 in the corresponding section ;)
2017-9-15
Use props
alex_tseli
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-14 21:59
I would also recommend to buy a new one.

Thanks I'll wait until my next trip and then see what is available on the market.
2017-9-15
Use props
alex_tseli
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-14 20:33
I would like to learn more from your mistake please?
You say you were flying backwards in ATTI mode and in mid flight you switched from ATTI to P mode and that is when the accident occurred, correct?
If not, can you explain?

Sure! It happened exactly as you rephrased in your second sentence. I'd say it *might* have contributed to the crash:

1. I was flying *inside* the melting glacier, very carefully in ATTI mode.
2. When I was done filming that I flew out very carefully and pulled the bird full speed up and backwards to show the scale of an icy hole I flew in. It was very challenging shot and I did it right.
3. I was looking at the screen to frame the shot and when I was satisfied with what I saw I released backwards stick and upwards stick. I have also switched from ATTI to P at the same time. I don't remember what I did first exactly, but both actions were within one second. The drone should have flown about 200m and was within visibility range
4. A couple of seconds after I wanted to check where the drone is and looked away from the screen. Immediately I saw 'Aircraft disconnected'
5. Video that was saved on an RC showed that the drone flew backwards to some very big stones. This video allowed me to find every single piece of the drone, including white plastic stubs and some camera parts, but not the camera itself.

I haven't analyzed the log yet, but I blame myself here as I was celebrating a great shot too early. But I blame myself at 90%
2017-9-15
Use props
alex_tseli
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-14 20:52
Sorry to read about your crash and camera loss. It would be nice to go back and find that lost element.

Do you know exactly what caused your crash? Post a link to that flight LOG.

Thanks a lot for the advice, I will try it out and post the results here!
2017-9-15
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Buy a new one.... Sell your old controller for a couple hundred bucks to off set the loss...
2017-9-15
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

alex_tseli Posted at 2017-9-15 14:08
Sure! It happened exactly as you rephrased in your second sentence. I'd say it *might* have contributed to the crash:

1. I was flying *inside* the melting glacier, very carefully in ATTI mode.

I see and understand, sorry about your tough luck...
I guess it may not be a good idea to switch modes when in full flight.  Sounds like it would be better to stop and hover or land then switch.
Thanks for your candor!
2017-9-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

alex_tseli Posted at 2017-9-15 14:08
Thanks a lot for the advice, I will try it out and post the results here!

At the price of a new camera, I would find that one.

It's a must, to get it back...

Yes, post the link, for the flight LOG analyses.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-15
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-15 14:44
I see and understand, sorry about your tough luck...
I guess it may not be a good idea to switch modes when in full flight.  Sounds like it would be better to stop and hover or land then switch.
Thanks for your candor!

I have only switch mode when hovering, it would be good to know if people have switch on the fly, however I'm not willing to try just to see if it's ok to do!
2017-9-15
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

RMJovo Posted at 2017-9-15 17:42
I have only switch mode when hovering, it would be good to know if people have switch on the fly, however I'm not willing to try just to see if it's ok to do!

Agreed and neither am I
2017-9-15
Use props
alex_tseli
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-15 16:30
At the price if a new camera, I would find that one.

Allright... Last log entry shows how I switched from ATTI to S and P. This is the last entry

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/R11YNU9JMCVOMKTA79I2/
2017-9-15
Use props
alex_tseli
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-15 16:30
At the price if a new camera, I would find that one.

PS: Attached is the photo from the crash site - it got dark and then was snowing. I've spent an hour, but could only find pieces of gimbal and some chips with DJI markings. Camera was really smashed to pieces
20170913_164700.jpg
2017-9-15
Use props
KEDDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

RMJovo Posted at 2017-9-15 17:42

I have been switching while flying during some Speed tests.
I noticed no issues but having it brake up a lot while going to S mode, i have noticed more than once that my Atti mode is faster than S, but AC much more alive/sensitive in S, specially going to the sides.
2017-9-16
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

KEDDK Posted at 2017-9-16 06:25
I have been switching while flying during some Speed tests.
I noticed no issues but having it brake up a lot while going to S mode, i have noticed more than once that my Atti mode is faster than S, but AC much more alive/sensitive in S, specially going to the sides.

Flying in Atti definitely brings new challenges. It can take time to get used to.
2017-9-16
Use props
KEDDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-16 06:49
Flying in Atti definitely brings new challenges. It can take time to get used to.

Well guess htat depend what you have been flying before, actually the other modes would be boring if it was not for shooting photo and film.

Bad it is that you made them so unstable and range reduced with the latest firmwares, not sure if have found the ones yet it was delivered with, so lately most flights has been for challenge and skill testing even i bought it for the camera ...
2017-9-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

alex_tseli Posted at 2017-9-15 23:55
PS: Attached is the photo from the crash site - it got dark and then was snowing. I've spent an hour, but could only find pieces of gimbal and some chips with DJI markings. Camera was really smashed to pieces

Dam bud, that's a regular "fricking" mine field.  No wonder the tiny camera disappeared into the rock pile abyss.
Origin
Late Middle English (in the sense ‘infernal pit’): via late Latin from Greek abussos ‘bottomless’, from a- ‘without’ + bussos ‘depth’.
Satin's dark abyss...

How do you even navigate that uncertain footing?

Perhaps If you wore good climbing-hiking boots and had a quality metal detector...

I searched the picture but failed to see anything shining...

RedHotPoker

2017-9-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

alex_tseli Posted at 2017-9-15 23:41
Allright... Last log entry shows how I switched from ATTI to S and P. This is the last entry

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/R11YNU9JMCVOMKTA79I2/

That really was 't the location to be experimenting with flight modes, while on the run...

This is a great lesson for others here to learn from as well.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules