Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Are there thoughts on preferred SD cards?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

I have one (64g) plenty big, but I don't know if it is able to save data as fast as my 4k camera can push it out.... What cards do you guys recomend?  
2017-9-14
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Sandisk EXTREME PRO.  and make sure it says "extreme pro", because 4K can freeze and glitch on slower reading cards.
From the DJI Phantom 4 Pro technical sheet, here is the full info:
Supported SD Cards
Micro SD
Max Capacity: 128GB
Write speed ≥15MB/s, Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required

Here is a link:  Sandisk Extreme Pro 126GB micro SD card

2017-9-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

I replaced the supplied 16Gb card in my Phantom 4 Standard with a Sandisk  ULTRA 64Gb card. This is the maximum size recommended by DJI, although I have read that some people use the 128Gb cards successfully.  I record in 4K and playback is 100% with no problems.
2017-9-14
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-14 13:04
Sandisk EXTREME PRO.  and make sure it says "extreme pro", because 4K can freeze and glitch on slower reading cards.
From the DJI Phantom 4 Pro technical sheet, here is the full info:

Yeah... I think that is what I have been getting....
2017-9-14
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2017-9-14 13:12
I replaced the supplied 16Gb card in my Phantom 4 Standard with a Sandisk  ULTRA 64Gb card. This is the maximum size recommended by DJI, although I have read that some people use the 128Gb cards successfully.  I record in 4K and playback is 100% with no problems.

At 4K, my 64GB card fills up within three flights of recording.  It is enough for a day of flying.  I have the 64GB card myself and plan to upgrade to the 128GB card myself so I don't have to spend as much time transferring data.
The 16GB card is cute, and a nice starter, or backup, but fills up fast.
2017-9-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-14 13:16
At 4K, my 64GB card fills up within three flights of recording.  It is enough for a day of flying.  I have the 64GB card myself and plan to upgrade to the 128GB card myself so I don't have to spend as much time transferring data.
The 16GB card is cute, and a nice starter, or backup, but fills up fast.

Are you flying a standard P4 ?  And using the 128Gb cards doesn't present a problem?  In the DJI blurb they state that only cards upto 64Gb are supported.  It would be handy to put a larger one in, although I suppose 2x 64 would only require one change per day's flying which only takes a few seconds
2017-9-14
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Actually there are many threads here that discuss this in some detail, I encourage you to search them out.
I use the Sandisk Extreme Pro variants, they seem to have the capability to read/write at the speeds needed for 4K and past experience for me has proven them reliable.
The manual states you need at least a UHS-1 rated card.  In reality I highly recommend using a UHS-3 card, noted by the number 3 inside the bucket of a U on the card.  Max card size supported is 128GB, from what I have found you need at least a 32GB card in your UAV, anything smaller when taking 4K vid will require you to either download after each flight or swap out cards per each battery swap made.
2017-9-14
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-14 13:32
Actually there are many threads here that discuss this in some detail, I encourage you to search them out.
I use the Sandisk Extreme Pro variants, they seem to have the capability to read/write at the speeds needed for 4K and past experience for me has proven them reliable.
The manual states you need at least a UHS-1 rated card.  In reality I highly recommend using a UHS-3 card, noted by the number 3 inside the bucket of a U on the card.  Max card size supported is 128GB, from what I have found you need at least a 32GB card in your UAV, anything smaller when taking 4K vid will require you to either download after each flight or swap out cards per each battery swap made.

There is another factor here, and that is to not put all your eggs in one basket. I use a set of 64 GB cards and swap them over when changing batteries. That way, if the aircraft gets lost, you still have the card with the previous flight on it. And another vote for the Sandisk Extreme Pro series cards, I only use these in all my cameras.
2017-9-14
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-14 17:17
There is another factor here, and that is to not put all your eggs in one basket. I use a set of 64 GB cards and swap them over when changing batteries. That way, if the aircraft gets lost, you still have the card with the previous flight on it. And another vote for the Sandisk Extreme Pro series cards, I only use these in all my cameras.

Yes I've heard that technique and I believe it to be a good one.  I haven't started collecting a number of cards yet but I plan to do so over time to be able to do just that.
2017-9-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

May I know which drone do you refer?
2017-9-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Trouble free drone here, four intelligent flight packs, one 64gb micro sd card is sufficient.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-14
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-14 20:58
Trouble free drone here, four intelligent flight packs, one 64gb micro sd card is sufficient.

I use a 64g card, but it's not high speed.... I think I do want that... I love my drone.... (I really, really love the thing)
2017-9-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-15 06:59
I use a 64g card, but it's not high speed.... I think I do want that... I love my drone.... (I really, really love the thing)

The drone can only write to the card at a certain speed, so buying sd cards with any thing beyond that is unecessary... Probably a waste of money. ;-)

Yes, I cherish my drone and other RC toys too, and feel fortunate we have the ability to play in the RC area.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-15
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-15 13:04
The drone can only write to the card at a certain speed, so buying sad cards with any thing beyond that is unecessary... Probably a waste of money. ;-)

Yes, I cherish my drone and other RC toys too, and feel fortunate we have the ability to play in the RC area.

What part of the country do you live?  Or, in other words, what type of stuff do you take pictures of?
2017-9-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-15 13:08
What part of the country do you live?  Or, in other words, what type of stuff do you take pictures of?

Living in Edmonton Alberta, I take very few pics with my drone, mostly only 4K videos.
Check this out...for an idea of why I love our province.  http://albertaoutdoorsmen.ca

RedHotPoker
2017-9-15
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-15 13:14
Living in Edmonton Alberta, I take very few pics with my drone, mostly only 4K videos.
Check this out...for an idea of why I love our province.  http://albertaoutdoorsmen.ca

Do you hunt, backpack, hike, camp or all?
2017-9-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-15 15:33
Do you hunt, backpack, hike, camp or all?

Archery/bowhunt, fishing, hiking and camping, mountain biking, trap small fur bearers, bushcraft/survival games, leather work/tooling, nature photography,

Banff and Canmore Alberta are two very favorite haunts...  
But the newly written drone laws make life difficult...

RedHotPoker
2017-9-15
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-15 16:36
Archery/bowhunt, fishing, hiking and camping, mountain biking, trap small fur bearers, bushcraft/survival games, leather work/tooling, nature photography,

Banff and Canmore Alberta are two very favorite haunts...  

Ya know we might get along more than I thought HaHa
Your avatar had me thinking you were more of an artsy type, not a back woods woodsman...
While I'm no Robin Hood I hunt, hike, backpack, camp, used to mountain bike but now I'd likely kill myself.  Not much for fishing, used to when I was a kid but I never got a taste for fish.  Always wanted to try trapping but have not as of yet.  Not much on the Grizzly Adams stuff, but survival is a skill I have as an occupational hazard and some personal effort and practice.
Nice, I love the outdoors and Canada has some of the most pristine beautiful country on the planet, gets a bit cold but beautiful.  Loved flying Maple Flags up there getting to see the country up close, awesome!
2017-9-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-15 16:46
Ya know we might get along more than I thought HaHa
Your avatar had me thinking you were more of an artsy type, not a back woods woodsman...
While I'm no Robin Hood I hunt, hike, backpack, camp, used to mountain bike but now I'd likely kill myself.  Not much for fishing, used to when I was a kid but I never got a taste for fish.  Always wanted to try trapping but have not as of yet.  Not much on the Grizzly Adams stuff, but survival is a skill I have as an occupational hazard and some personal effort and practice.

Favorite book itunes.apple.com/us/app/sas-survival-guide/id357811968 has an app.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-15
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-15 16:55
Favorite book itunes.apple.com/us/app/sas-survival-guide/id357811968 has an app.

We are totally off topic now...just sayin...and yeah I didn't help...
2017-9-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

It's with enthusiasm & fun, downloading the latest 4K videos, from the 64gb micro sd card into the hp desktop, and then playing them back.

This time of year is always quite colorful as the trees begin to absorb their green summer chlorophyll, in exchange for those delightful fall scarlets, purples and oranges, to yellows.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-15
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-15 19:17
It's with enthusiasm & fun, downloading the latest 4K videos, from the 64gb micro sd card into the hp desktop, and then playing them back.

This time of year is always quite colorful as the trees begin to absorb their green summer chlorophyll, in exchange for those delightful fall scarlets, purples and oranges, to yellows.

Yeah, totally getting excited
2017-9-16
Use props
Steve Slechta
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31276 ft
United States

One from Mid-August that had good info I remember......

Micro SD Memory Card
2017-9-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-16 10:51
Yeah, totally getting excited

This is seriously my very favorite time of the year....
image.jpeg

All the changes, make it all worth while.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules