Guidance needed on firmware versions
1466 9 2017-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bill A
lvl.2
Australia

Hi guys,

My phantom 4 is only 2 months old.  So far I am very pleased with it as it flies well and does most things I tell it to do.
I have not upgraded the firmware, having read most of the recent forum posts  and have become totally confused with all the versions of firmware available and the problems other pilots are having with them.
The versions supplied with my bird and RC are:-
Bird.   01.02.0602
RC.     01.00.01.04
These appear to be very early, if not original versions but they work with version 4.1.7(2956) of the Dji go 4 app with some exceptions.  I can't get the bird to recognise the Tap to fly, POI or "follow me" controls.  They all seem to work on the device indicating a "Go" signal but the bird doesn't respond.
The RTH works well and the bird returns and lands spot on its home point
I am thinking the early version of the bird's firmware may not support the intelligent flight controls.  I have no intention of upgrading the firmware until I am sure all the bugs are fixed but I would like to know if it is a firmware limitation or whether it is something I am doing wrong that is causing the problem.
I did read somewhere on the forum that there is a listing of all the firmware versions, what they cover and the date of issue but I can't find it again.
I would welcome any guidance.
2017-9-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

I would strongly recommend not doing ANY updating at the moment - there are just too many tales of woe documented on this forum to leave one with any confidence in newer firmware and/or software.  Leave well alone.  I have the standard P4 which does just about everything I want it to, with very little problem.  Getting the RC to talk to the Android tablet is a bit fiddly, but then everything works  (POI, course lock etc)  I am using early versions  DJI Go4 version 4.1.0,  RC is on v 1.8.0 and aircraft reports 00.00.01.04.   There is no way I will update in the present climate of mistrust, and I keep my tablet permanently in AIrplane mode (wifi OFF) so that no unwanted updates can be foisted upon me.  Luckily I have a tablet I can dedicate to flying the Phantom.   Good Luck and Happy flying
2017-9-14
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have a read of the release notes on This page.
2017-9-14
Use props
Bill A
lvl.2
Australia

Thanks Aardvark, that is just what I was looking for.  As I read the release notes, TapFly has always been included in the firmware although a sub mode for TapFly was added in the latest upgrade whatever that means

Thanks Bleriot53, I am quite comfortable just learning how to fly the bird and taking photos and video with what it is doing for me now.  I will worry about upgrading sometime down the track a bit when I have more confidence.  
2017-9-14
Use props
BSilverthorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95144 ft
United States

I would say just learn the bird at this time, from someone who was grounded almost due to unstable drone from the latest firmware. Keep it as, it will fly well for you. The latest firmware is causing issues on some birds and its a game of roulette as to if one of yours will be affected.

The roll back if you upgrade isn't for the faint of heart, while I got it done. I know some friends of mine that I am going to have to do it for them. I cant stress enough, don't stress over new features etc atm, wait patiently and its been 2 months of waiting so far for me. Who knows maybe the next release will fix it, have to see how it goes.

From here on out, I won't be updating again for a month or two after the release and checking in here first. I learned my lesson  by getting updates as soon as they appear. 25 years in IT, I should have known better ;-).

I would check here and here Phantom Pilots before ever doing an update. My trust in firmware / software is gone, so as I said and state again. Don't just because its out there, read, read, ask, make sure you even want the update. My P4 is great sitting where it is now and does all I need it do and more.

Here's to being happy and sitting back a few versions on firmware and DJIgo APP.
2017-9-14
Use props
Trump
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139295 ft
United States

DON'T TOUCH IT! IT WILL MOST NO LONGER FLY! THOSE VISIONS OF SUGAR PLUMS THAT DJI TEMPTS YOU WITH WILL GROUND YOU!!! Sorry for the all CAPS, but you asked for advise.
2017-9-14
Use props
Bill A
lvl.2
Australia

As I said in my initial post, I have no intention of upgrading for a long time while my bird is still flying for me.
2017-9-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Some intelligent flight modes are added in the latest firmware, which others are available when Phantom 4 comes. I would recommend you change to another recommended mobile to check the exact status.  
2017-9-14
Use props
Bill A
lvl.2
Australia

My device is iPad mini 4 and it seem to do everything well. I am amazed at how much data it records.  I will keep trying TapFly.  After reading instructions many times I usually eliminate all my mistakes.
2017-9-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Being current with the most recent app and drone/RC/battery firmware is most often preferred.

It's always hopeful, that newer versions would help alleviate any past problems associated with previous update versions.
I have been fortunate, as I've mentioned numerous times, in the past two plus years.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules