ActiveTrack with rear camera on yourself
11192 14 2017-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chrisduke
lvl.1
United States

I got the Osmo Mobile when it first came out a year ago. While all the whistles and bells were great, the one feature I wanted to use wasn't easy to use. That feature, being the abilty to replace a camera man. But using it with the rear camera of my iPhone 7 isn't exactly easy to select yourself. In fact, it's nearly impossible. I've even tried using a mirror.

Anyway, now a year later I picked it back up to see if it's advanced and solved my problem. Sadly, I can't find any information that leads me to believe that it has. Using the front-facing camera is easy and works great, but trying to select yourself using the rear camera is impossible.

Am I missing something, or has this product not yet evolved to the point where it will automatically detect a face and start tracking it? Or use some gesture like holding your hands up by your face or something else simple?

Also is there still no way to specify where within the frame it should track you? For example if I want to be on a third instead of dead center?

Thank you for any information you can provide. This still feels like "1.0" to me, a year later.

2017-9-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

There is no any problem when use Active Track function with front or rear camera, I have tested my iPhone 7 plus and it runs normally.
Do you have any other mobile device for test? Can your iPhone 7 select object? Is there any error message in APP?
Please check the tutorial video to see if you run it properly.
2017-9-15
Use props
djiduke
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-15 00:55
There is no any problem when use Active Track function with front or rear camera, I have tested my iPhone 7 plus and it runs normally.
Do you have any other mobile device for test? Can your iPhone 7 select object? Is there any error message in APP?
Please check the tutorial video to see if you run it properly.

I'm not saying there are problems with it. I said it works fine. Please re-read my post.
2017-9-15
Use props
djiduke
lvl.1
United States

Anyone from DJI care to comment?
2017-9-18
Use props
djiduke
lvl.1
United States

I did some research and found out that the FILMIC Pro app will be supporting automatic face tracking within "a few weeks" so hopefully that will come true, since DJI doesn't appear to be advancing their app in this regard.
2017-9-19
Use props
Frozen Tundra
New

United States

It does not automatically track faces.  You have to tap on the object you want to track or drag a marquee
2017-9-20
Use props
djiduke
lvl.1
United States

Frozen Tundra Posted at 2017-9-20 10:27
It does not automatically track faces.  You have to tap on the object you want to track or drag a marquee

I understand that. Again, please re-read my OP.
2017-9-22
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

That may be a feature in the future. However at this time, that is not something on this device. You would not be able to track on the Osmo.
2017-9-22
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

djiduke Posted at 2017-9-22 07:48
I understand that. Again, please re-read my OP.

Can you provide a one sentence question on what is not being answered? We appreciate your time.
2017-9-22
Use props
djiduke
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-22 09:24
Can you provide a one sentence question on what is not being answered? We appreciate your time.

I think you already answered it, but to be more clear, here's what I want:

1. Set up Osmo Mobile with face tracking enabled.
2. Start recording
3. Leave room
4. Re-enter room
5. Osmo Mobile automatically detects your face using the rear camera and instantly tracks you

It sounds like FILMIC Pro is going to beat you guys to it though. Crossing fingers...

2017-9-26
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

djiduke Posted at 2017-9-26 20:44
I think you already answered it, but to be more clear, here's what I want:

1. Set up Osmo Mobile with face tracking enabled.

Thank you for your clarification. Facetracking is pretty new. Let's see what the engineers do.
2017-9-27
Use props
djiduke
lvl.1
United States

It's been nearly two years, and you've even released a new model, the DJI Osmo Mobile 2. I sold my Osmo Mobile 1 because this feature was never implemented. It still isn't. Others are asking the same question, repeatedly. How do you use ActiveTrack feature on yourself using the rear camera when you don't have anyone else with you to film? Please implement a remote app that allows you to select the object to track, or automatic face detection. It's so frustrating to have such a powerful option available to this product, yet it is impossible to use in this very common scenario.
2019-3-18
Use props
sorka
lvl.2
Flight distance : 782582 ft

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-22 09:24
Can you provide a one sentence question on what is not being answered? We appreciate your time.

He did. In the original post.
2019-9-23
Use props
djiuser_gYN7nyrXQE2G
New

Germany

sorka Posted at 2019-9-23 17:28
He did. In the original post.

This is the first link on google search, so an answer to this can be helpful. With OM 4 there is a gesture control to achieve what you want.
2022-3-20
Use props
djiuser_ISws74DizAy5
New

United Kingdom

On the Osmo Mobile 6, which I have recently purchased, simply press the trigger once. The software should recognise the subject and the gimbal will enter tracking mode. I have tried it while placed on a tripod and it works exactly like the selfie track with better movement.

To record simply press the record button and to stop press the record button again.

The downside to this is that that the subject tracks timeout is very short and the gimbal will reset to basic follow mode after about 5-10 seconds of absence. It is not possible to change this time setting.
2022-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules