Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Valletta in 4K - European Capital of Culture in 2018
12Next >
4644 71 2017-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
travelrikk
First Officer
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

All filmed and edited by myself. Constructive criticism welcome.

Enjoy
2017-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great video and fantastic edit. I liked the shot in the beginning with the ships straight from above!
Are you allowed to fly there?
Here in NL we are not allowed to fly in city's etc. (unfortunately)
2017-9-15
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-15 11:23
Great video and fantastic edit. I liked the shot in the beginning with the ships straight from above!
Are you allowed to fly there?
Here in NL we are not allowed to fly in city's etc. (unfortunately)

Thanks!
For now there are no legal laws with regards to drones in Malta. I do fly with caution, obey the obvious rules and my drone is also insured
2017-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

travelrikk Posted at 2017-9-15 11:25
Thanks!
For now there are no legal laws with regards to drones in Malta. I do fly with caution, obey the obvious rules and my drone is also insured

Lucky you.
Unfortunately we have passed that station long time ago...
2017-9-15
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-15 11:28
Lucky you.
Unfortunately we have passed that station long time ago...

2 Maltese guys were arrested in Italy yesterday for flying over the colosseum so I'm guessing things are about to change pretty quickly here too.

To be honest, I prefer if there we a few laws with regards to drone flying as a some people would fly just about anywhere, without doing any research or much knowledge on how to fly safely and it's making a bad name for all the rest of the good guys.
2017-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

travelrikk Posted at 2017-9-15 11:34
2 Maltese guys were arrested in Italy yesterday for flying over the colosseum so I'm guessing things are about to change pretty quickly here too.

To be honest, I prefer if there we a few laws with regards to drone flying as a some people would fly just about anywhere, without doing any research or much knowledge on how to fly safely and it's making a bad name for all the rest of the good guys.

That is very true indeed.
Unfortunately we need rules around to keep things safe.
But that's just how it works.
2017-9-15
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Fantastic video. Only possible comment I could make were that a couple of the cut scenes were a bit short. But other than that, WOW. Thanks for sharing.
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Amazing job, you have a good still on editing. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to your more works.
2017-9-15
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-15 22:44
Amazing job, you have a good still on editing. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to your more works.

Thanks. I've got a few more small projects linedup, just need enough free time to edit them
2017-9-16
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

Paul_IA Posted at 2017-9-15 15:57
Fantastic video. Only possible comment I could make were that a couple of the cut scenes were a bit short. But other than that, WOW. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comment some cut scenes were a bit short because I tried to edit to the beat/pace of music.
2017-9-16
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Eric
That was absolutely amazing; really well shot and fantastically edited, with some great effects, like the reverse pan zoom at 1:23.  My mother's Maltese and I'm in Valletta every other year or so seeing the sights.. I genuinely think it's one of the most beautiful and amazing cities in the World.
You should offer that video to the Maltese tourist board

Great work
Ian

https://www.youtube.com/IaninLondon

2017-9-16
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

Wellsi Posted at 2017-9-16 01:53
Hi Eric
That was absolutely amazing; really well shot and fantastically edited, with some great effects, like the reverse pan zoom at 1:23.  My mother's Maltese and I'm in Valletta every other year or so seeing the sights.. I genuinely think it's one of the most beautiful and amazing cities in the World.
You should offer that video to the Maltese tourist board

Thanks for the comments and the kind words bud! I subbed back to your channel too.

Will try and offer the video to Maltese tourist boards but first, I'd like to get some more activity on the video.
2017-9-16
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

Well done. Professional. Thanks for sharing.
2017-9-18
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

m1shootr Posted at 2017-9-18 03:33
Well done. Professional. Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure
2017-9-18
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

2017-9-18
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

Well sorry everbody,

I made a real mess of this, was my first post, I tried to reply to the comment that there were no laws in Malta (3 days ago). Actually there are, you need written permission to fly anything anywhere. “Malta is a peculiar and unique situation, because the entire territory is controlled airspace,” quote from "George Borg Marks, director of the Civil Aviation Directorate (CAD) within Transport Malta".
But nobody seems to bother, in fact they don't bother much when you drive the wrong way down a one-way street either.

I wanted to include just one copy of a short film on Gozo (an island of Malta). As you can see there is nobody to complain anyway, there is a lot of rough and lonely landscape just waiting to be filmed.
2017-9-18
Use props
SteveHphotos
lvl.1

United Kingdom

nice footage, I am no expert at the editing lark but I would suggest that you boost the colours a little
2017-9-18
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Nice one!! Thanks for sharing.
2017-9-18
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice video and an amazing editing job!
2017-9-18
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

SteveHphotos Posted at 2017-9-18 13:54
nice footage, I am no expert at the editing lark but I would suggest that you boost the colours a little

What do you mean boost the colors? All footage was shot in D-Log/cinelike and color corrected to my liking - bit dark and added some fade too.
2017-9-18
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

Dockater Posted at 2017-9-18 13:43
Well sorry everbody,

I made a real mess of this, was my first post, I tried to reply to the comment that there were no laws in Malta (3 days ago). Actually there are, you need written permission to fly anything anywhere. “Malta is a peculiar and unique situation, because the entire territory is controlled airspace,” quote from "George Borg Marks, director of the Civil Aviation Directorate (CAD) within Transport Malta".

I know about that but it is not enforced. No one does it and it doesn't make sense to get a permit for EVERY single time you fly.

I do, however, have insurance on my drone (and third party) unlike most of the other locals who are flying on a regular basis. I always fly with caution .

Unfortunately, a lot of drone were flown over thousands of people during the mass meetings for the last general election. most of these are paid for by the political parties and no one did anything about it. Hopefully the situation will change soon .
2017-9-19
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

travelrikk Posted at 2017-9-18 23:55
What do you mean boost the colors? All footage was shot in D-Log/cinelike and color corrected to my liking - bit dark and added some fade too.

I think that SteveHphotos remark about the colours referred to my film, and he does have a valid point
2017-9-19
Use props
COEZBAY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 456424 ft
Germany

Nice job! Awesome edit!
2017-9-19
Use props
fhoelterhoff
lvl.1
Flight distance : 64636 ft
Germany

travelrikk, really really awesome footage and color crade. I also like the movement of the camera! May I ask what drone you did use? Filters? Color Profile and settings for sharpness, contrast and saturation?
2017-9-19
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

fhoelterhoff Posted at 2017-9-19 08:23
travelrikk, really really awesome footage and color crade. I also like the movement of the camera! May I ask what drone you did use? Filters? Color Profile and settings for sharpness, contrast and saturation?

Thank you sir! Since this was posted on the mavic forums, I only used the DJI Mavic pro for all the shots. I've got an ND32 and ND8 filter and both were used accordingly in most shots (except night ones ofc).

As for color profile I always shoot in D-Cinelike at least - now I started shooting more in D-Log as it has more dynamic range. Sharpness +1, Contrast -1, Saturation -1 is how I like to shoot. After reading and watching several videos on YT, best sharpness level is +1, as for contrast and saturation it depends on how much the want to color grade
2017-9-19
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Spain

i was there this summer but i was afraid to fly in Valletta .... but i made a little edit on  Popeye Village
2017-9-19
Use props
Centraltooth
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76539 ft
Thailand

Beautiful video. Thanks for sharing.
2017-9-19
Use props
Jason WAI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Nice job! Thanks for sharing.
2017-9-19
Use props
Xavier1984
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579088 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Nice video.

For the information of you and all member Malta is a member of EASA group so there are some rules concerning rules for Drones.

http://www.transport.gov.mt/avia ... -of-drones-in-malta

Typically flying above city and property is quite not authorized and could be dangerous.

Be careful ;-)
2017-9-19
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

Xavier1984 Posted at 2017-9-19 22:08
Nice video.

For the information of you and all member Malta is a member of EASA group so there are some rules concerning rules for Drones.

I am aware of this, however, as I said previously it's not enforced in Malta.
Hopefully things will change and I'll be more than happy to get licensed and the necessary permissions
2017-9-20
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

Tealk Posted at 2017-9-19 09:36
i was there this summer but i was afraid to fly in Valletta  .... but i made a little edit on  Popeye Village https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSBppDliu_M

Not a big fan of the chosen music but great video nonetheless! I've been there and it's an awesome place to fly. I'm trying to do some flights all around Malta to do a proper Malta video this time but that will take some time as there's so many good places.

2017-9-20
Use props
fhoelterhoff
lvl.1
Flight distance : 64636 ft
Germany

travelrikk Posted at 2017-9-19 08:54
Thank you sir! Since this was posted on the mavic forums, I only used the DJI Mavic pro for all the shots. I've got an ND32 and ND8 filter and both were used accordingly in most shots (except night ones ofc).

As for color profile I always shoot in D-Cinelike at least - now I started shooting more in D-Log as it has more dynamic range. Sharpness +1, Contrast -1, Saturation -1 is how I like to shoot. After reading and watching several videos on YT, best sharpness level is +1, as for contrast and saturation it depends on how much the want to color grade

I am very impressed what great footage you got out from the Mavic! Not that it was a bad drone but I have never seen such good quality footage! I would have expected it more to be the Phantom 4 pro.

So the Valetta video was shot in D-Cinelike at +1,-1,-1? Or is +1,-1,-1 the setting for D-Log now? I was in Ireland and shot in D-Log, everything was exposed correctly but the ocean often reveals some magenta macro blocking when I put a grade on it. Do you use a LUT or is everything done manually?
2017-9-20
Use props
Matthew Chirico
Second Officer
Flight distance : 769160 ft
United States

amazing work!
2017-9-20
Use props
De Anda
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1499 ft
United States

did you add in the enviromental sound of the pigeons
2017-9-20
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

De Anda Posted at 2017-9-20 21:02
did you add in the enviromental sound of the pigeons

pigeons and bells
2017-9-21
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

fhoelterhoff Posted at 2017-9-20 05:25
I am very impressed what great footage you got out from the Mavic! Not that it was a bad drone but I have never seen such good quality footage! I would have expected it more to be the Phantom 4 pro.

So the Valetta video was shot in D-Cinelike at +1,-1,-1? Or is +1,-1,-1 the setting for D-Log now? I was in Ireland and shot in D-Log, everything was exposed correctly but the ocean often reveals some magenta macro blocking when I put a grade on it. Do you use a LUT or is everything done manually?

Thanks!! I'd love to upgrade but I'm not sure yet which I'm going to get the p4p or an inspire 1 (because the 2 is too expensive for me) or just wait for the next one..

+1,-1,-1 is the style so sharpness is +1, contrast -1 and saturation -1. I mentioned both D-cinelike and D-log because the video was shot over different periods of time. Initially I started shooting in D-cinelike but then I moved to D-log as it gives more flexibility when it comes to colouring.

I did use a LUT as a base, reduced the intensity and then tweaked every single clip accordingly. I also aded some fade to each shot.
2017-9-21
Use props
Paniza
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

Very nice!

I miss the time we could fly freely.

Cheers.
2017-9-21
Use props
SteveHphotos
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Dockater Posted at 2017-9-19 05:45
I think that SteveHphotos remark about the colours referred to my film, and he does have a valid point

Yes I was, sorry for any confusion caused
2017-9-21
Use props
Mavic Marauder
lvl.1
United States

Epic shots
2017-9-22
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer