Please help me as my mavic is being stolen..
7552 33 2017-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alanrmx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1887894 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

I was fly my mavic this morning as usual. my wife was driving and i was controlling it from my car. we had a good time and captured some really nice footages. I kinda lost my direction and decided to get my mavic return to home. it did landed well and we are just about 500 meters away from my drone where it landed as i can see from my iphone. suddenly, i saw a rider took my drone and went off. all the while my drone was in contact with me and i can see from my iphone. seconds later, i lost contact with my mavic. and it's gone..

last month, i send my mavic to DJI Shenzhen for some repair works and just got it back some 2 weeks ago. So i do have my done's ID. Is there any possible way or method that i am able to get it back ?? that person who stole it will definitely need to buy a controller and some other accessories as he only got my drone and nothing else.

please suggest me any possible way to get my mavic back ? thanks...
2017-9-15
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Sorry, but the reality is it is gone.
DJI has no way to "kill", retrieve, locate, or track a stolen unit.
The only thing you can do is try your homeowners/renters insurance for stolen property.
Did you call the local authorities? Make a report?
Might need that for a insurance claim.

Also, you may want to think about when you send the RTH command, as soon as you see it getting close to the original Home point, kill the RTH, and fly it back to your self, and not so far away. That way it won't sit there lonely, waiting to be picked up by someone other than the owner.
2017-9-15
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Did you already try to locate your drone using "Find my drone" in DJI GO 4?
There is a slim chance that you can see your drone's current location.
Keep trying, because the thief will have to turn on your Mavic one day.
If you do locate it, then it's a job for the Police.

Just out of curiosity, why did you land your Mavic 500 meters away from you?
That is a huge distance to cover rapidly in order to reach your drone.
2017-9-15
Use props
Jon_ny23
lvl.2
United States

Sorry to hear that. But I personally would never fly inside of a moving car as I find it risky... I stay in one spot where I know I'm safe and knowing with confidence that when I hit RTH it will return at the place where I am situated. It really sucks that there are people like that with no disregard to other people's personal property. I do hope you find a way to get your drone back but it seems like it is far gone. Good luck with everything and stay positive.
2017-9-15
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I cant say I approve of flying from a moving car at all.  Seems super dangerous.
2017-9-15
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-15 10:54
Did you already try to locate your drone using "Find my drone" in DJI GO 4?
There is a slim chance that you can see your drone's current location.
Keep trying, because the thief will have to turn on your Mavic one day.

Only turning on the MP will not tell you where it is... First MP must have GPS lock and there must be a device connected that communicates to MP via RC or Wi-Fi that has internet connection.

So if the thief blocks GPS (and flies ATTI mode) or uses a device without internet connection you will never know where the MP is...
2017-9-15
Use props
Alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

stolen mavic

I was fly my mavic this morning as usual. my wife was driving and i was controlling it from my car. we had a good time and captured some really nice footages. I kinda lost my direction and decided to get my mavic return to home. it did landed well and we are just about 500 meters away from my drone where it landed as i can see from my iphone. suddenly, i saw a rider took my drone and went off. all the while my drone was in contact with me and i can see from my iphone. seconds later, i lost contact with my mavic. and it's gone..

last month, i send my mavic to DJI Shenzhen for some repair works and just got it back some 2 weeks ago. So i do have my done's ID. Is there any possible way or method that i am able to get it back ?? that person who stole it will definitely need to buy a controller and some other accessories as he only got my drone and nothing else.

please suggest me any possible way to get my mavic back ? thanks...
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

unfortunately dji tends to not cover stolen drones... best bet is to contact the police and work with dji and the police on locating it.. your drone has a unique DI and serial that is traceable within the app..  how much  info dji will give you is a toss up, so i suggest working with the police and dji..
2017-9-15
Use props
Alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-15 15:39
unfortunately dji tends to not cover stolen drones... best bet is to contact the police and work with dji and the police on locating it.. your drone has a unique DI and serial that is traceable within the app..  how much  info dji will give you is a toss up, so i suggest working with the police and dji..

thanks bro..
2017-9-15
Use props
Alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

Mari Posted at 2017-9-15 12:31
Only turning on the MP will not tell you where it is... First MP must have GPS lock and there must be a device connected that communicates to MP via RC or Wi-Fi that has internet connection.

So if the thief blocks GPS (and flies ATTI mode) or uses a device without internet connection you will never know where the MP is...

thanks for the info..
2017-9-15
Use props
Alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

lost mavic

last month, i send my mavic to DJI Shenzhen for some repair works and just got it back some 2 weeks ago. So i do have my done's ID. Is there any possible way or method that i am able to get it back ?? that person who stole it will definitely need to buy a controller and some other accessori

2017-9-15
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Might try to offer a reward.
2017-9-15
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

I would have started the motors and went full power.
2017-9-15
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

You'd think DJI could have a black list that stolen drones could be put on similar to cell phones. I've seen quite a few stolen drone posts on different forums, so it seems to be a growing issue.
2017-9-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I'm afraid your best bet is as IHTC has said go to police report it, but I know recovery will be very slim. I think dji may be bound by privacy data both in helping you and the police.

It is a pity that we as owners can't have a code that will render AC useless to work for anyone else, at least you might have the satisfaction of denying thieves access to a free stolen drone.
2017-9-15
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-15 16:58
I'm afraid your best bet is as IHTC has said go to police report it, but I know recovery will be very slim. I think dji may be bound by privacy data both in helping you and the police.

It is a pity that we as owners can't have a code that will render AC useless to work for anyone else, at least you might have the satisfaction of denying thieves access to a free stolen drone.

'It is a pity that we as owners can't have a code that will render AC useless to work for anyone else, at least you might have the satisfaction of denying thieves access to a free stolen drone.'

I hope DJI admin are tuned in.  
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your drone. But if the drone was taken by others, then it might get disconnected with your controller, so you will not get the signal from your drone. And we don't support tracking the drone in this case. I suggest reporting your case to the local police and try to seek an assistance from them, thank you for your understanding. Hope you can get the drone back in the end.
2017-9-15
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

Jeff7577 Posted at 2017-9-15 16:27
I would have started the motors and went full power.

Can you imagine how startling that would be to someone not expecting it?  Especially if the drone managed to stay airborne and fly away.
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

it is a shame that dji just lets it happen.  and they really are just letting it happen, and thus creating incentive for thieves...  also, thieves deserve zero privacy.   Apple doesn't give thieves that luxury, if that iPhone is activation locked and you use find my iPhone you can locate it to precise GPS location, and it self updates every minute if you are watching it or you can manually refresh it..

i hope DJi corrects this act before it turns into issue that Iphones had years ago.  thieves had a name for it for stealing iPhones, called it "apple picking" and because no enforcement from apple at the time, it was extremely lucrative for people to snatch phones from people's hands, cut pockets, and steal handbags from women at gunpoint. the police had an epically low recovery rate of less then 1/10th of a percent in most locations.    i seen it happen back before apple had a remedy, people were brave and ballsy..   however as drones get more popular and easier to access, if DJI does not remedy this, then Dji will be fueling illegal activity.

while i never participated in "Apple Picking"  i have heard that some people making thousands of dollars per day doing it in NYC and los angeles.. that's a fairly attractive price to put on the risk involved....and risk of being caught was very low, usually being caught was simple having a roughing up by a bystander... police usually didn't care or failed to prove they cared.  i guess it didn't fill their quota..
2017-9-15
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-15 17:55
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your drone. But if the drone was taken by others, then it might get disconnected with your controller, so you will not get the signal from your drone. And we don't support tracking the drone in this case. I suggest reporting your case to the local police and try to seek an assistance from them, thank you for your understanding. Hope you can get the drone back in the end.

How useful is the "Find my drone" feature available in the DJI GO 4 app with regard to tracking a stolen DJI drone?
2017-9-16
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Mari Posted at 2017-9-15 12:31

So, when you steal a Mavic Pro drone, you'll block GPS and fly it in ATTI mode?
Interesting...
2017-9-16
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Flycaster Posted at 2017-9-15 10:41
Sorry, but the reality is it is gone.
DJI has no way to "kill", retrieve, locate, or track a stolen unit.
The only thing you can do is try your homeowners/renters insurance for stolen property.

These cases are always frustrating but what is stated is true. You may try to contact local authorities and provide your serial number on the unlikely chance that police sometimes do get a lost drone.
2017-9-16
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-16 02:21
So, when you steal a Mavic Pro drone, you'll block GPS and fly it in ATTI mode?
Interesting...

... no I would Use a device without internet connection... But I don't steal, I buy my drone(s)... Everybody should be able to fly in ATTI mode if for some reason GPS doesn't work...
2017-9-16
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Mari Posted at 2017-9-16 05:09
... no I would Use a device without internet connection... But I don't steal, I buy my drone(s)... Everybody should be able to fly in ATTI mode if for some reason GPS doesn't work...

There are too many ifs here...
2017-9-16
Use props
Alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

after hearing from eveyone, i am really disappointed with dji as in terms of the technology dji has, that's one of the main reason why i own a total of 3 dji drones. technology is never a new thing for everyonr here (i'm sure).. and i am willing to bet with my very last dollar that dji has really got what it takes to hunt down my drone as long as it is still alive. but for some reasons, dji was kinda refuse to do that. i guess everyone agrees that to make a local police report is as good as nothing cause what they can do to track or to recover my drone.. i do really love and support for all the technology dji had done to flying machines all these years and i'm sure that we all agree DJI produces the best drones in the world. but sad to have made such a decision that this is going to be my last dji drone. if i were to manage to get the drone back, thanks god and me.. if not, then too bad, i will either stop this hobby or turn to another brand of flying machines or might even go back to my DIY days...
2017-9-16
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

No way you can blame DJI for this one.  Accept that it's  gone and move on.
2017-9-16
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-9-16 10:17
No way you can blame DJI for this one.  Accept that it's  gone and move on.

I agree. In one thread  customers will complain about all the data the DJI can collect and discuss the ways to circumvent the collection. They complain about the fact that they can be prevented from take off in NFZ's. The same pilots will then turn around and bitch because DJI won't help them track a stolen drone. You can't have it both ways.
2017-9-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Alanrmx Posted at 2017-9-16 08:07
after hearing from eveyone, i am really disappointed with dji as in terms of the technology dji has, that's one of the main reason why i own a total of 3 dji drones. technology is never a new thing for everyonr here (i'm sure).. and i am willing to bet with my very last dollar that dji has really got what it takes to hunt down my drone as long as it is still alive. but for some reasons, dji was kinda refuse to do that. i guess everyone agrees that to make a local police report is as good as nothing cause what they can do to track or to recover my drone.. i do really love and support for all the technology dji had done to flying machines all these years and i'm sure that we all agree DJI produces the best drones in the world. but sad to have made such a decision that this is going to be my last dji drone. if i were to manage to get the drone back, thanks god and me.. if not, then too bad, i will either stop this hobby or turn to another brand of flying machines or might even go back to my DIY days...

Really sorry for this situation, we would like to help but locking and locating the drone cannot be achieved at the moment, the only possibility is to ask for help from police.
We will keep improving our technology and service to assist customers in the future. Thanks for your understanding.
2017-9-17
Use props
Alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

The person that stole my mavic pro definitely activates either in singapore or malaysia. He will definitely need to buy battery, charger, and might even the controller as he only got purely the drone with a flat battery. I sure he will definitely need to buy something. Just if DJI could forward my done's incident together with my mavic's ID to all DJI re sellers and distributors, I am sure in the matter of time he will be track down...
2017-9-24
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

That is not DJI task/responsibility. "Maybe" in time, that yes, they could come up with the infrastructure to "lockdown" a reported stolen Mivac/Phantom whatever.
But in reality for now, all you can do file a report, toss it to your insurance company and hope that it is covered.
Besides, you don't need any identifying numbers to buy a controller/battery etc.
And thinking that all the retailers, resellers, and vendors are going to "watch out" for a particular numbered AC, is just.............
2017-9-27
Use props
djiuser_Eddie7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 90515 ft
Brazil

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-17 03:49
Really sorry for this situation, we would like to help but locking and locating the drone cannot be achieved at the moment, the only possibility is to ask for help from police.
We will keep improving our technology and service to assist customers in the future. Thanks for your understanding.

I had open a repair ticket for my Mavic pro (already paied for), and while moving it to be delivered, the aircraft was stolen...

Is there any chance to get it covered by DJI refresh care?
2018-4-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_Eddie7 Posted at 2018-4-4 05:18
I had open a repair ticket for my Mavic pro (already paied for), and while moving it to be delivered, the aircraft was stolen...

Is there any chance to get it covered by DJI refresh care?

Sorry for your loss but unfortunately DJI Care Refresh will not cover any loss, may I have the case number so that I can check more details for further support? Thank you. GTScreenshot_20180405_125436.png
2018-4-4
Use props
Eddie7mail
lvl.1
Flight distance : 90515 ft
Brazil

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-4 20:57
Sorry for your loss but unfortunately DJI Care Refresh will not cover any loss, may I have the case number so that I can check more details for further support? Thank you.[view_image]

Thanks for the clarification.

Said that, I still have 2 more questions about.

1-Can DJI refund me the tax I payed for the care refresh service?
2- Can DJI let me know if the aircraft serial number become alive,or if someone try to register it on the system?
2018-4-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Eddie7mail Posted at 2018-4-11 10:51
Thanks for the clarification.

Said that, I still have 2 more questions about.

Hi Eddie, I managed to get your case number via your Forum account CAS-1558684-C3W7G0, if the aircraft was stolen before you went to UPS store, I'm afraid there is nothing we can do. Please report the issue to the local authority for further assistance.
For the refund of the DJI Care Refresh Express, I will escalate to the appropriate department to follow up, we will have someone to contact you about the next step.
We can only check the activation info from our system, sorry that we cannot track the drone or investigate if the drone has been registered by others.
2018-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules