Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Brand new motors smoked up on first test?
1076 11 2017-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rob8888
lvl.2
New Zealand

Hi all

I was building a badly crashed P4P and gimbal.  Installed 2 new flying motors and on first test flight in the kitchen, it flew fine, but two of the motors smoked up.  Landed it quickly and shut down.

What on earth happened? All soldering was correct.  Someone said they think I may have had to replace the motor controllers too?

Any wisdom out there?  I don't suppose sending some smoke out is part of the break in procedure?

2017-9-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yup, you should probably have replaced the two ESC's as well.

No, motors don't smoke on first startup....

RedHotPoker
2017-9-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-15 20:09
Yup, you should probably have replaced the two ESC's as well.

No, motors don't smoke on first startup....

You can't replace the ESCs on a P4P, they are part of the main board.
2017-9-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-15 20:13
You can't replace the ESCs on a P4P, they are part of the main board.

Ah yeah, of course. Yes, they want to sell you a new board too. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-9-15
Use props
Rob8888
lvl.2
New Zealand

So I'm a bit confused.  Do you normally have to replace the ESCs when you replace a motor?
2017-9-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Rob8888 Posted at 2017-9-15 20:28
So I'm a bit confused.  Do you normally have to replace the ESCs when you replace a motor?

Not always. Did you test the motors before powering them up to see if they were spinning freely? Also, are you sure you got the wiring correct, that can smoke them too.
2017-9-15
Use props
Rob8888
lvl.2
New Zealand

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-15 20:31
Not always. Did you test the motors before powering them up to see if they were spinning freely? Also, are you sure you got the wiring correct, that can smoke them too.

It did take off, fly and hover.  I would assume that if I had wired them wrong it wouldn't have flown?
2017-9-15
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Rob8888 Posted at 2017-9-15 20:28

I'm just stating my opinion here, but something was wrong. I have replaced motors on my own P3A and several other units and never had an issue. If you are positive the wires were connected correctly, I wonder if the motors were good to begin with. I don't see how the ESC's would smoke a motor that is wired correctly. These are very sensitive controllers and the slightest deviation or feedback from the motors would signal an error I would think. Although I have not worked on a P4, only P3 standard and Advanced & pro. I may be wrong but I would double check everything before you install a new board. Good luck!
2017-9-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-9-15 20:44
I'm just stating my opinion here, but something was wrong. I have replaced motors on my own P3A and several other units and never had an issue. If you are positive the wires were connected correctly, I wonder if the motors were good to begin with. I don't see how the ESC's would smoke a motor that is wired correctly. These are very sensitive controllers and the slightest deviation or feedback from the motors would signal an error I would think. Although I have not worked on a P4, only P3 standard and Advanced & pro. I may be wrong but I would double check everything before you install a new board. Good luck!

I agree with RicardoGray, something was wrong with the motors I suspect. If the aircraft flew, then the wiring was correct. And the same applies to the ESCs, if it flew, then they should be OK.
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear such a news. We do not suggest to repair the drone at your end. Please contact the support and send it in for fully repair: http://www.dji.com/support.
2017-9-15
Use props
jessicataylor99
lvl.1

India

You should contact them.
2020-4-15
Use props
DJR00
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8817585 ft
  • >>>
United States

Where did you get the motors from ?

I had one do that but didn't smoke just got very hot quickly.  Look inside the motor to see if the copper windings are burnt.

Replaced it and everything is fine.

It was a bad motor to begin with !!  Return it for refund and buy another !

2020-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules