What happens when you lose connection??
2353 9 2015-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.2

Malta

I was flying as usual today and experienced my first 'connection lost' message.  I was at around 70 meters altitude directly overhead...  I paniced a little as I wasnt sure what was going on..   It seemed like i still had control over it, descended a little and everything turned to normal..   Should i still have control if i lost connection? Or just coincedence.   I noticed vid stopped recording...
2015-4-4
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

You may have just lost the connection to the video stream is all.  That has happened to me, alarming at first until you realize you are still very much in control.  And video, if recording, is still recording.
2015-4-4
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Losing video does not mean you lose control of the Phantom, unless you see RTH come on the screen you still have control...if you have RTH enabled you should be confident the Phantom will RTH as you have preferences to set in the Vision Assistant, you can set the video to stop recording or continue recording in the DJI app,
2015-4-4
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

nrgwise@gmail.c Posted at 2015-4-5 01:36
You may have just lost the connection to the video stream is all.  That has happened to me, alarming ...

Nrg,
There is a selection in the Dji phone app that lets you set to stop recording or continue under "when connection breaks"..
I have mine set as "stop recording is off" and "stay in idle" as checked and this way it has never stopped recording as best I can tell when I have lost connection from 2,900' away...
image.jpg
2015-4-4
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-5 01:44
Nrg,
There is a selection in the Dji phone app that lets you set to stop recording or continue unde ...

Yeah, I forgot about that.  That is how mine is set as well.
2015-4-4
Use props
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4
United States

This has been my experience: When the Wifi is still connected, but the control signal is lost, the message you get is "Control Signal Lost" which will be followed by the "Coming Home" message should the control signal not recover its connection. When the Wifi connection breaks, you no longer get the information fed back to you as to altitude, distance, speed, etc. and your picture normally will just freeze. You will still have control of the Phantom. Unless, of course both signals are lost, at which point you just cross your fingers and hope that it goes into RTH mode. I have been lucky and not lost either (Both are P2V+, but one is version1 and the other version 3) of my Phantoms yet.
In my humble opinion: Some people say you should never turn off your controller until it is a last resort. I feel that it adds a sense of security to know that their investment will come home should it become unable to communicate with the controller, so recommend that new flyers go out and try it to be sure that it is working properly. RTH mode is RTH mode whether it is due to issues, or manually induced. Just know what your RTH altitude is set, hover the Phantom 100-200 meters or feet away from you and shut off the controller and see if it does what it is supposed to do. It should ascend to the set RTH altitude, fly over to its "Home" position (at the RTH altitude), wait a couple of seconds to see if it can find its signal, and then land should it not find the control signal.   Barney
2015-4-4
Use props
mike
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

What exactly does the "Stay in Idle" setting do above?

Wouldn't the ideal setting be "Start Recording"? If not recording, you could start recording. And, if already recording, it seems nothing would change.
2015-4-4
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-4-5 02:51
What exactly does the "Stay in Idle" setting do above?

Wouldn't the ideal setting be "Start Record ...

Mike,
Valid point, I would think it would mean don't start or don't stop (may be chinese for "do nothing")...though as I recall I have never lost recording with my settings, now, just checking the manual...and see attached, pretty certain the way it is stated Is if stop recording is off, selecting start recording will start recording, selecting start continuous capture will start continuous capture and selecting stay in idle will stay in current state...
image.jpg
2015-4-4
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

I have mine set for "stay in idle" as well and I have intentionally gone well beyond the limits of both control and FPV in a 3rd party Ground Station app and the recording does continue throughout the Ground Station mission. I've also gone outside of control and FPV in the DJI Vision app and the recording does continue after the RTH is self-initiated by the bird. I can also gladly say that the self-initiated RTH feature has worked flawlessly for me (so far).

Jerry
2015-4-4
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-5 04:44
I have mine set for "stay in idle" as well and I have intentionally gone well beyond the limits of b ...

Thanks Jerry,
Glad my Chinglish is correct..
2015-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules