Gimbal reset mid-flight (gimbal freak out)
123Next >
4662 82 2017-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
YouserName
lvl.2
Flight distance : 185892 ft
United Kingdom

What are your thoughts on this guys?

This happened right out of the box, first flight. Happened around 6/7 times during 1 batteries worth of flight time.

Video recording ends and the gimbal looks around for a few seconds.

https://vimeo.com/234308558

2017-9-18
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

I've had this happen once to me in about 35 flights. Just shooting in the dark here, but since you said "out of the box", did you upgrade your MP to the latest firmware when you received it? Do you anything obstructing the gimbal (like a 3rd party filter)? Is the gimbal seated properly in the mount (are the three rubber tabs tucked under the chassis)?
2017-9-18
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Paul_IA Posted at 2017-9-18 05:11
I've had this happen once to me in about 35 flights. Just shooting in the dark here, but since you said "out of the box", did you upgrade your MP to the latest firmware when you received it? Do you anything obstructing the gimbal (like a 3rd party filter)? Is the gimbal seated properly in the mount (are the three rubber tabs tucked under the chassis)?

Stock FW was .800, I've tried a different FW and it had the same problem so I'm guessing it's not FW related. Read that others were having the same problem on FW .1000.

Is there a photo anywhere of how the bands should look like? I can see the bands just not sure how they're supposed to be. Only had two flights so far and it did give me at least 6mins of recording without it happening.

Was recording in 2.7k and using the 16gb extreme SD that came with the Mavic
2017-9-18
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Is it doing this by moving the camera up/down; looks like the video is cutting in/out.
It maybe the ribbon cable on the camera itself that is bad. I had experienced gimbal freaked out mid flight, the video doesn't cut in/out it just stopped.
This is from my own experienced only.
2017-9-18
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-9-18 06:51
Is it doing this by moving the camera up/down; looks like the video is cutting in/out.
It maybe the ribbon cable on the camera itself that is bad. I had experienced gimbal freaked out mid flight, the video doesn't cut in/out it just stopped.

The video is not cutting in and out. I should've been a bit more clear, the video posted is a compilation of clips from the first flight. At times I wasn't even aware the video cut out as I was flying by looking at the drone. I'd then look at the screen and see that it's stopped recording. When I did witness it happening on the screen, I saw the camera make those movements and then the horizon tilts but the recording doesn't capture the whole reset as it cuts off early.
2017-9-18
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-9-18 06:51

Did it continue to happen after the first time? How did you go about fixing the problem?
2017-9-18
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

YouserName Posted at 2017-9-18 08:44
Did it continue to happen after the first time? How did you go about fixing the problem?

After the 1st/2nd time it happened diff days, it just went away; for sure it will happen again (hoping not anymore). Just don't panic keep it under control; it's just the gimbal resetting and you still have full control of the AC.
2017-9-18
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-9-18 10:31
After the 1st/2nd time it happened diff days, it just went away; for sure it will happen again (hoping not anymore). Just don't panic keep it under control; it's just the gimbal resetting and you still have full control of the AC.

Haven't had much time to fly but I hope it stops happening on mine as no one has pin pointed the cause of this fault yet.
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

So you had updated the firmware to the latest version and the issue still persists, right? If no, please try the latest firmware and test again. And our engineers are working further for this question, hope it can be addressed soon. Sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.
2017-9-18
Use props
Hitty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7822 ft
Russia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-18 23:51
So you had updated the firmware to the latest version and the issue still persists, right? If no, please try the latest firmware and test again. And our engineers are working further for this question, hope it can be addressed soon. Sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Thor, I have a latest firmware on my Mavic and have this trouble once. I thought thaf drone was falling or stolen by a bird -- I saw sky, propellers, turning horizont and other scary pictures. But it was a camera reboot -- recording interrupts at that moment.
It was normal (P) mode, not the "direct sun" flying and not some random joystick slams. Just a normal linear flight...
Please, find a solution in a new firmware
2017-9-19
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hitty Posted at 2017-9-19 01:03
Thor, I have a latest firmware on my Mavic and have this trouble once. I thought thaf drone was falling or stolen by a bird -- I saw sky, propellers, turning horizont and other scary pictures. But it was a camera reboot -- recording interrupts at that moment.
It was normal (P) mode, not the "direct sun" flying and not some random joystick slams. Just a normal linear flight...

Yea it is quite acary when you see what's happening on the screen. 3 minutes into my first flight I see it happen

It looks like something that could be fixed with a FW update.
2017-9-19
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Can I ask if you have the plastic protection sticker still on on top of the gimbal? Could that be a factor?
2017-9-19
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-18 23:51

So DJI are aware of this problem? Is there any news on it?
2017-9-19
Use props
Hitty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7822 ft
Russia

YouserName Posted at 2017-9-19 04:18
Can I ask if you have the plastic protection sticker still on on top of the gimbal? Could that be a factor?

I carefully removed it right after unpacking.
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Our engineers are aware of this and working on it. Hope it could be resolved shortly.
2017-9-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

YouserName Posted at 2017-9-19 06:50
So DJI are aware of this problem? Is there any news on it?

Yeah, our engineers are working on it, don't have more news at the moment. Feel regretful for this.
2017-9-20
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-20 01:32
Yeah, our engineers are working on it, don't have more news at the moment. Feel regretful for this.

So I should hold onto my Mavic and not send it in for repair?
2017-9-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

YouserName Posted at 2017-9-20 02:36
So I should hold onto my Mavic and not send it in for repair?

If you send the drone back, we will also help to take care of it for you. Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back if needed. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.
2017-9-22
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-22 00:02
If you send the drone back, we will also help to take care of it for you. Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back if needed. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.

Lastly, could you confirm some details regarding warranty for me please. Im in the UK and bought my Mavic from a internet retailer based in China.

I understand that I would have to ship it to China for warranty repairs. Will DJI provide a shipping lable for me for UK to China? And will the Mavic be shipped back to the UK when repair is complete?

Thanks
2017-9-22
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Any DJI moderators able to help me with the question above?
2017-9-25
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

So I was trying to film this shot but the gimbal reset at more or less the exact same spot. Could it be the exposure?
2017-9-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

YouserName Posted at 2017-9-22 05:59
Lastly, could you confirm some details regarding warranty for me please. Im in the UK and bought my Mavic from a internet retailer based in China.

I understand that I would have to ship it to China for warranty repairs. Will DJI provide a shipping lable for me for UK to China? And will the Mavic be shipped back to the UK when repair is complete?

Sorry for the late reply, please provide me with your drone's serial number, I'll check it first.  
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

YouserName Posted at 2017-9-25 22:13

So I was trying to film this shot but the gimbal reset at more or less the exact same spot. Could it be the exposure?

Are you recording at that time? Could you please upload the original videos or the gimbal reset and camera reset issue that happened to your drone from the SD card to Dropbox so I can forward to the engineers to have a look into it?
2017-9-27
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-27 02:43
Sorry for the late reply, please provide me with your drone's serial number, I'll check it first.

08QUE77028372!:!
2017-9-28
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-27 02:47
Are you recording at that time? Could you please upload the original videos or the gimbal reset and camera reset issue that happened to your drone from the SD card to Dropbox so I can forward to the engineers to have a look into it?

Yes I was recording. The video captured on the SD card stops a second before what you see on these clips so you don't see anything other than a clean cut of the video like the user had manually stopped recording.
2017-9-28
Use props
Olde Gunner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 109140 ft
Finland

I had this same phenomenon happen today for the first time, sortie number 21 after 9:05 minutes of flight time. I've got the latest firmware (upgraded the same day it became available) and GO 4 App Android V 4.1.9. Altitude was 150 meters just crossing a highway, freaked me up good because the feed on the display looked like the MP was falling down on a violent spin of death...

After the incident the camera remained crooked so it looked like the MP was falling down its side first, but it was just a momentary illusion which corrected itself after a while. Too bad the recording stopped the very moment the troubles began. Hit the RTH button and the MP was recovered without further drama.
2017-9-28
Use props
HyLenz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

Olde Gunner Posted at 2017-9-28 11:25
I had this same phenomenon happen today for the first time, sortie number 21 after 9:05 minutes of flight time. I've got the latest firmware (upgraded the same day it became available) and GO 4 App Android V 4.1.9. Altitude was 150 meters just crossing a highway, freaked me up good because the feed on the display looked like the MP was falling down on a violent spin of death...

After the incident the camera remained crooked so it looked like the MP was falling down its side first, but it was just a momentary illusion which corrected itself after a while. Too bad the recording stopped the very moment the troubles began. Hit the RTH button and the MP was recovered without further drama.

Exactly the same thing happened to me several times. Scares the crap out of you, especially if you are not VLOS, like most of us. Not limited to latest firmware. Happened a couple months ago, too. The SD video does not pick it up. Camera simply cuts off. Takes a minute or so to get itself back together to where you can record again. Camera operations (play-record) seemed to be "frozen" in the app for that minute, like its rebooting. Maybe this will get fixed with the CPU Overload issue in the next release. Fingers crossed.

IPad Mini2 32GB, IOS 11, all latest firmware and Go 4 app...
2017-9-28
Use props
MPV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32753 ft
Italy

Olde Gunner Posted at 2017-9-28 11:25

@Olde Gunner kindly note that at 9m5s the file recorded at 4k resolution was filled up at 4gb and the sd filesystem doesn't allow the file to grow more.
The aircraft has to rotate the recording to a new file but sometimes failed (firmware bug) and probably the exception forces something in video subsystem reboot
2017-9-28
Use props
Olde Gunner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 109140 ft
Finland

Actually, the max file size for exFAT (64GB SD is formatted exFAT) filesystem is 128 PiB which is 128x1125899906842624 bytes (=a big file). But I do think you are on to something, since the max file size of 4GB is coded into the firmware and the bug bit at the exact moment of starting a new video file.

Guess I should reformat the SD, since the media tends to act weird if you just create and delete files without formatting. This is what I've done before and there were no problems then.

Thanks for the food for thought, MPV!

2017-9-28
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Not everyone is getting cut off at the 4GB point. My last clip that was posted I got cut off at 10 and 11 seconds
2017-9-29
Use props
MPV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32753 ft
Italy

YouserName Posted at 2017-9-29 02:12
Not everyone is getting cut off at the 4GB point. My last clip that was posted I got cut off at 10 and 11 seconds

I personally had the cut at 9m5s with also simultaneous temporary uplink/downlink data loss for 10s at the same moment of gimbal freak out. The AC entered to RTH Failsafe.
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

YouserName Posted at 2017-9-28 09:44
Yes I was recording. The video captured on the SD card stops a second before what you see on these clips so you don't see anything other than a clean cut of the video like the user had manually stopped recording.

Thank you so much of your feedback, I will forward this point to the engineers. And we would be inspired if you could provide the original footage also. If the drone is by your side, could you also please help to confirm if it happens when you are not recording, and when there is no SD card inside the drone? Really sorry for the inconvenience, appreciated your help.
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

And I had checked the serial number, the drone needs to obtain warranty in Chinese repair center if it is a warranty case. DJI couldn't offer you the shipping label, if you have a friend in China, you can ship to him and ask him to help to ship to the repair center, or you can contact your dealer. Sorry for the inconvenience.
2017-9-29
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-29 18:03
Thank you so much of your feedback, I will forward this point to the engineers. And we would be inspired if you could provide the original footage also. If the drone is by your side, could you also please help to confirm if it happens when you are not recording, and when there is no SD card inside the drone? Really sorry for the inconvenience, appreciated your help.

Haven't noticed it happening when not recording. Only when recording. Haven't flown without an SD card yet.
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

YouserName Posted at 2017-9-29 20:31
Haven't noticed it happening when not recording. Only when recording. Haven't flown without an SD card yet.

OK, is it convenient for you to provide me some original video from the SD card? It's alright if it is not.
2017-9-29
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-29 23:13
OK, is it convenient for you to provide me some original video from the SD card? It's alright if it is not.

I'm not sure if I have any at the mo. When I fly next and capture anything I'll send. Would a YouTube link of the original footage be ok? Or you need the actual file?
2017-9-30
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

So this is the what's happening now

https://vimeo.com/236410857

Looks like the frame of the video is changing just before the cut off.

On the app, it changes from video recording to camera. I selected Video recording quite quickly after the reset this time and noticed a screen with lots of purple lines. Switched back to the camera and then to the vodeo again and ot was gone.

I can upload the original video, please confirm how I should go about doing that and of YouTube will be ok?
2017-10-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

YouserName Posted at 2017-10-2 05:32
So this is the what's happening now

https://vimeo.com/236410857

Very appreciate your feedback, please send the original video from the SD card to Dropbox so I can download it. That's what I have been looking for, it is said the engineers' need.
2017-10-9
Use props
AviatorDante
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48005 ft
United Kingdom

This is my first post, just to say that I have this exact issue with my new Mavic. Mavic has only 1 hour flight time, newly calibrated IMU, Compass, Gimbal, Vision with the latest firmware. I am afraid of flying now. I am sure it is not the Gimbal as my friend has the exact problem on his new Mavic.

Hope you can help.
2017-10-9
Use props
AviatorDante
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48005 ft
United Kingdom

Here is my video from my video cache. It is not exposure problem, nothig hit the gimbal. The blue thing that you see on the video is my hood. Recorded more than that but it seems it only took 3 seconds clip, camera resets to 4k 24fps as well, originally my setting is 30fps 4k.
2017-10-9
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules