Gimbal reset mid-flight (gimbal freak out)
123Next >
4668 81 2017-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
YouserName
lvl.2
Flight distance : 185892 ft
United Kingdom

AviatorDante Posted at 2017-10-9 06:03
This is my first post, just to say that I have this exact issue with my new Mavic. Mavic has only 1 hour flight time, newly calibrated IMU, Compass, Gimbal, Vision with the latest firmware. I am afraid of flying now. I am sure it is not the Gimbal as my friend has the exact problem on his new Mavic.

Hope you can help.

Don't be scared to fly it. I've been flying mine with no problems other than the gimbal reset. It happens so often that I am now not worried of the aircraft doing anything other than what I tell it to when this happens.
2017-10-9
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-9 01:10
Very appreciate your feedback, please send the original video from the SD card to Dropbox so I can download it. That's what I have been looking for, it is said the engineers' need.

How do I do this? I am not familiar with Dropbox. Do I need to make an account?
2017-10-9
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-29 18:16
And I had checked the serial number, the drone needs to obtain warranty in Chinese repair center if it is a warranty case. DJI couldn't offer you the shipping label, if you have a friend in China, you can ship to him and ask him to help to ship to the repair center, or you can contact your dealer. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Am I able to pay to have my Imported Mavic repaired at a European base?
2017-10-9
Use props
AviatorDante
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48005 ft
United Kingdom

YouserName Posted at 2017-10-9 16:05
Don't be scared to fly it. I've been flying mine with no problems other than the gimbal reset. It happens so often that I am now not worried of the aircraft doing anything other than what I tell it to when this happens.

Should I bring my mavic back for warranty? It only happened once.
2017-10-10
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
Flight distance : 192244 ft
United Kingdom

I had the same thing happen to me last Sunday afternoon.  I had flown for around 20mins without any problems.  I them put in a new battery and moved to a nearby location.  Just after 3 mins of flying and video I switch to camera mode to take a single shot and when I tried to switch back to video mode nothing happened.  I tried several times then the screen on my mini iPad 4 went blank and I started to panic because after a short while the picture came back on and was all over the place.  I thought the Mavic was crashing into the sea, but I soon realised that it was the gimbal resetting.  Panic over!
I then continued to fly as normal taking video and still shots with no more problems.
I’ve had 37 flights before and they have all been great till now.  I’m running the latest firmware in the Mavic with a fast 64gb card which I format in the Mavic before every flight.
2017-10-10
Use props
AviatorDante
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Little John Posted at 2017-10-10 08:42
I had the same thing happen to me last Sunday afternoon.  I had flown for around 20mins without any problems.  I them put in a new battery and moved to a nearby location.  Just after 3 mins of flying and video I switch to camera mode to take a single shot and when I tried to switch back to video mode nothing happened.  I tried several times then the screen on my mini iPad 4 went blank and I started to panic because after a short while the picture came back on and was all over the place.  I thought the Mavic was crashing into the sea, but I soon realised that it was the gimbal resetting.  Panic over!
I then continued to fly as normal taking video and still shots with no more problems.
I’ve had 37 flights before and they have all been great till now.  I’m running the latest firmware in the Mavic with a fast 64gb card which I format in the Mavic before every flight.

Exactly what happened with mine as well apart from takinga photo. I was trying to record a new clip. Sunday afternoon in London, Newly changed battery and ipad mini 4.
2017-10-10
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

AviatorDante Posted at 2017-10-10 07:07
Should I bring my mavic back for warranty? It only happened once.

I would monitor it for a bit. Happens to me every flight so I know my one is F'd. If your one is quite new, see if you can take it back to the retailer as DJI are replacing faulty Mavics with refurbished ones.
2017-10-10
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Little John Posted at 2017-10-10 08:42

The first 20mins, were you recording? This problem is reported to happen while recording. I don't have any problems when it's not.
2017-10-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

YouserName Posted at 2017-10-9 16:09
Am I able to pay to have my Imported Mavic repaired at a European base?
For Dropbox, you might need an account to upload the video and sharing the link. Yes, you need to pay the repair fee if you want to repair it on the Netherlands repair center. "Customers can obtain warranty service only at a designated DJI repair center in the region where he/she purchased the product. However, depending on part availability, customers can obtain cross-regional repair service at an additional charge".
2017-10-10
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
Flight distance : 192244 ft
United Kingdom

YouserName Posted at 2017-10-10 15:06
The first 20mins, were you recording? This problem is reported to happen while recording. I don't have any problems when it's not.

I was recording and taking still image on both flights, but I had just taken a still image and after that the gimbal reset in flight.
2017-10-10
Use props
AviatorDante
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-10 18:51
For Dropbox, you might need an account to upload the video and sharing the link. Yes, you need to pay the repair fee if you want to repair it on the Netherlands repair center. "Customers can obtain warranty service only at a designated DJI repair center in the region where he/she purchased the product. However, depending on part availability, customers can obtain cross-regional repair service at an additional charge".

Hi Thor,

Should we wait for a fimrware update or just send/return drone to be replaced or repaired?
2017-10-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

AviatorDante Posted at 2017-10-11 00:55
Hi Thor,

Should we wait for a fimrware update or just send/return drone to be replaced or repaired?

Hi there, if it is possible, we would like you to offer the assistance, if you are recording at that time, please upload the original video from the SD card to Dropbox for a further investigation. Any related photos on the SD card are also appreciated.
Also, we will take care of your drone if you send it back. Very sorry for the inconvenience and thank you so much of your assistance.
2017-10-11
Use props
Siriusdave
lvl.3
Flight distance : 896818 ft
United Kingdom

I have just got a replacement back from care refresh and this has happen on both the two flight I have had so far. first thing I did was make sure all the FW was up to date . even tested with and without the filter I use but still the same ... I would like to know the fix for this as well please .. hoping its just a FW issues
2017-10-11
Use props
AviatorDante
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-11 01:49
Hi there, if it is possible, we would like you to offer the assistance, if you are recording at that time, please upload the original video from the SD card to Dropbox for a further investigation. Any related photos on the SD card are also appreciated.
Also, we will take care of your drone if you send it back. Very sorry for the inconvenience and thank you so much of your assistance.

Hi Thor,

I can't seem to find the recording on my SD Card it might have been deleted/glitched because of the gimbal/camera reset, I only have the clip on my  Video Cache which is posted here already. I do not want to send the drone if it can be fix by a firmware update as it might happen again on a new drone.

Regards,

Dante

2017-10-11
Use props
AviatorDante
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Siriusdave Posted at 2017-10-11 02:31
I have just got a replacement back from care refresh and this has happen on both the two flight I have had so far. first thing I did was make sure all the FW was up to date . even tested with and without the filter I use but still the same ... I would like to know the fix for this as well please .. hoping its just a FW issues

May I know what did you do when you experience the glitch?

Thanks
2017-10-11
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Ouch... what's your plan?  
2017-10-11
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-10 18:51

Can you give me more information on this please as I don't mind paying a few for cross regional warranty repair. If possible a quote for the repair.
2017-10-11
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Siriusdave Posted at 2017-10-11 02:31

I've been hoping it's FW related too. Been reluctant to send it in for repair as I've heard of cases the same as yours were the replacement had the fault too.
2017-10-11
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

YouserName Posted at 2017-9-19 04:18
Can I ask if you have the plastic protection sticker still on on top of the gimbal? Could that be a factor?

Congratulations on having the scary "gimbal gone wild" experience. It's a kind of a rite of passage - teaches you not to panic in any situation

I had it only once - on my first flight. The sticker was on the top of the cam, btw. After asking around, I remove it on DJI Thor's (I think it was) advice. Don't know if it was a contributing factor, but I've never had ginbal gone wild since (fingers crossed).
2017-10-12
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

AviatorDante Posted at 2017-10-9 08:55
Here is my video from my video cache. It is not exposure problem, nothig hit the gimbal. The blue thing that you see on the video is my hood. Recorded more than that but it seems it only took 3 seconds clip, camera resets to 4k 24fps as well, originally my setting is 30fps 4k. https://youtu.be/HCLhZYTRUU8

That looks like a camera reboot connected to switching of the coding standard, in you case it seems to have gone from NTSC to PAL
2017-10-12
Use props
fzlot
New
United States

I am seriously considering getting a Mavic Pro refurb, but I am also concerned about all the complaints I'm hearing about camera gimbal issues. That's really alll that's holding me back. Have they been addressed? Any thoughts?
Thank you!
2017-10-12
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fzlot Posted at 2017-10-12 11:06
I am seriously considering getting a Mavic Pro refurb, but I am also concerned about all the complaints I'm hearing about camera gimbal issues. That's really alll that's holding me back. Have they been addressed? Any thoughts?
Thank you!

They clearly have not. They tried to address it on the latest FW but it's still happening.

The Mavic Pro is a great drone when everything is working right.

I would advise, if you have to get a refurb, make sure you have a valid warranty.
2017-10-12
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-10-12 04:58
Congratulations on having the scary "gimbal gone wild" experience. It's a kind of a rite of passage - teaches you not to panic in any situation

I had it only once - on my first flight. The sticker was on the top of the cam, btw. After asking around, I remove it on DJI Thor's (I think it was) advice. Don't know if it was a contributing factor, but I've never had ginbal gone wild since (fingers crossed).

I've just removed it but a bit of it is still stuck on as the sticker ripped while I was taking it off and now i cant get a grip on the smaller piece that remains. Haven't flown it yet but I'm not expecting it to fix the issue.
2017-10-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

YouserName Posted at 2017-10-11 12:50
Can you give me more information on this please as I don't mind paying a few for cross regional warranty repair. If possible a quote for the repair.

I am so sorry, I can't offer the quotation for it because we need to diagnose when it arrives the repair center. But you can refer to the web below for the accessories price, help it can give you some tips. Appreciate your understanding. https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/PriceQuery
2017-10-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

AviatorDante Posted at 2017-10-11 05:20
Hi Thor,

I can't seem to find the recording on my SD Card it might have been deleted/glitched because of the gimbal/camera reset, I only have the clip on my  Video Cache which is posted here already. I do not want to send the drone if it can be fix by a firmware update as it might happen again on a new drone.

So, I would like to know that were you recording before the gimbal reset? You didn't manually stop the recording, right? If yes, and you have the original clips reserve on the SD card, would you mind sending it to me for a further investigation? Besides, please also help to name the firmware info on About of General Settings on the app. Thank you so much.
2017-10-13
Use props
Siriusdave
lvl.3
United Kingdom

This happen again to me today , this is only my third flight with the replacement dji sent me , it record on my phone but when i got home it was not on the SD card at all ????
I did not notcie at the time as i was looking at the drone not the screen it was only when i look and at the videos on the way home

http://www.siriusplex.tv/dji/2017_10_14_12_08_04_reset1.mp4
http://www.siriusplex.tv/dji/2017_10_14_12_08_30_reset2.mp4
http://www.siriusplex.tv/dji/2017_10_14_12_08_37_reset3.mp4

All FW up todate ect
2017-10-14
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Siriusdave Posted at 2017-10-14 06:07
This happen again to me today , this is only my third flight with the replacement dji sent me , it record on my phone but when i got home it was not on the SD card at all ????
I did not notcie at the time as i was looking at the drone not the screen it was only when i look and at the videos on the way home

Scary isn't it?

Are you saying there's no video at all on the SD card or just the gimbal reset is not there?
2017-10-15
Use props
Mike Warren
lvl.2
Flight distance : 421532 ft
Australia

Just as another data point, I've had this happen on maybe 10% of my flights. It's always been recording when the reset occurs and the recording stops just before the reset so there's no evidence on the SD card.
2017-10-15
Use props
Siriusdave
lvl.3
United Kingdom

YouserName Posted at 2017-10-15 14:07
Scary isn't it?

Are you saying there's no video at all on the SD card or just the gimbal reset is not there?

Just no video of the reset on the sd card all the rest of the video is there
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Siriusdave Posted at 2017-10-14 06:07

Could you please help to upload them to Dropbox so I can download them and forward to our engineers. Please kindly send the original videos from the SD card of this case, it doesn't matter if it couldn't capture the gimbal movement right at the moment in the original version. And please tell me the operations before the gimbal reset if you can remember the details. Thank you so much.
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Mike Warren Posted at 2017-10-15 14:36
Just as another data point, I've had this happen on maybe 10% of my flights. It's always been recording when the reset occurs and the recording stops just before the reset so there's no evidence on the SD card.

Hi, please refer to my answer on 70#, if you were recording when that reset happened, please help to send the video files on that flight for a further investigation. Appreciate your assistance.
2017-10-17
Use props
SteWong
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3119432 ft
Hong Kong

I got a replacement Mavic Pro recently, the new drone is having the same problem too. The camera resets almost every flight.
2018-2-26
Use props
SteWong
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Is there any update to this problem?
2018-2-26
Use props
SteWong
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Any thoughts?
2018-2-27
Use props
Kiranos
lvl.1
France

Hi,

I had the gimball reset thing today.

So until now, I did around 30 flights, always the lastest firmware and android app.

I was using the 16GB Sandisk Extreme card from DJI.
I was always filming in 2.7k/30
This card was in FAT32.
My files cut at 3.8Go due to the FAT32 system. This is normal.
All was fine.

Today I tried a new 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro card.
System file is exFAT, so I should be able to have bigger video. But I already know that there's a limitiation in the firmware, I'm still stuck with 3,8Go.
Didn't notice that I switched in 4k/24.
Everything was fine, until the picture started acting like crazy, showing the sky and blades. I thought my drone was crashing.
Screen went black for 1 sec, it come back all blurry and still moving too much. Then it stops. Still cannot focus the picture for 1 minute more...

Really scary...

Ok ok so now, I was filming at this time, and the video cut right before the incident.
Coincidence, it was right when the video file reached the 3.8Go size.

My guess is that this gimball reset bug is related to the video size limit.
I need to try again in 4k and 2.7k to see if it specifically does it in 4k.
Or maybe it could be from the card file system. exFAT may not be supported correctly.

For those who have a exFAT card, try to convert it in FAT32. I can't with mine.
2018-3-18
Use props
Jay W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259462 ft
Singapore

Hi.. Excuse me for reviving an old topic.

I was flying the MP today and the gimbal/camera reset itself twice. Gave me a little scare but the video feed was still going on so I could see where I was flying. Controls were still OK and the aircraft was responsive. Only the gimbal rotated all over, I guess it was re-initializing.

Oddly all the camera OSD controls on the GO4 app stopped working. The camera sort of reset itself to defaults, ie camera mode. I could change to video mode but the settings for Auto/manual were frozen.

Was there a solution for this problem?

I am on the following:
AC: 1.04.0300
RC: 1.04.0300
GO4: 4.2.14 IOS

I was using DJI ND4 filter. Big otherwise all else was stock. The reset happened about 10mins into the flight.
2018-5-16
Use props
djiuser_xvM41dHgRFue
New
Cyprus

Bought it 3 days ago and had this issue twice. Any ideas
2018-5-28
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Jay W Posted at 2018-5-16 23:44
Hi.. Excuse me for reviving an old topic.

I was flying the MP today and the gimbal/camera reset itself twice. Gave me a little scare but the video feed was still going on so I could see where I was flying. Controls were still OK and the aircraft was responsive. Only the gimbal rotated all over, I guess it was re-initializing.

I had this happen to me just one time though and the wind was very strong and did a sudden stop and it then caused the gimbal to reset like explained.  Think it has something to do with the sudden stop of it trying to correct itself and that was the only time it happened to me.  
2018-5-28
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

djiuser_xvM41dHgRFue Posted at 2018-5-28 12:15
Bought it 3 days ago and had this issue twice. Any ideas

Are you doing any sudden stops/movements and are you flying in sports mode?  That is what caused mine to happen once.
2018-5-28
Use props
Jay W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259462 ft
Singapore

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-28 12:20
Are you doing any sudden stops/movements and are you flying in sports mode?  That is what caused mine to happen once.

No sudden stops. actually I was hovering around 120m altitude and trying to capture an oncoming storm.

it was a bit windy but the MP kept its position very well.

then the reset happened and I had to pull it back. I was more afraid that anything else could happen.
2018-5-31
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules