Dynamic Homepoint for Aircraft Position
4375 15 2017-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tiredtim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51106 ft
United Kingdom

I know that this is very new and that there appears to be very little info on this but what I've read so far regarding Dynamic Homepoint for Aircraft Positioning seems to suggest that it up dates the RTH point to where the aircraft is at any moment. If this is true, why on earth would you want that to happen?If it up dates the controllers position, what happens if you are using a iPad mini which has no GPS?
2017-9-18
Use props
Vannibombonato
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325778 ft
Italy

It's funny, because yesterday night i was thinking at how on earth i would manage the Mavic if i was filming i.e. a car and piloting it to follow the car (obviously i'm not the driver). The Mavic would stop at a certain point, because it would need to return home back were it took off (battery), which is obviously not where you want it to land. You'll want it to land when you finish your "chase". I go to sleep, i wake up, and i found an update which address exactly this very scenario. What can i tell you guys, next time i'll think about something like "it would be cool if the Mavic could be piloted with the mind"...
2017-9-18
Use props
Nick779
lvl.2
Flight distance : 459610 ft
United States

If you read a little youd see that its only for active track and gesture modes. It changes the home point based on the aircrafts position, not the controller...
2017-9-18
Use props
tiredtim
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Nick779 Posted at 2017-9-18 11:03
If you read a little youd see that its only for active track and gesture modes. It changes the home point based on the aircrafts position, not the controller...

Thanks Nick but where have you found the info on this? I apologise if this information is contained within the app, I'm a little reluctant to up date the app at the mo!
I'm guessing that the option to continually up date the RTH point to the aircrafts current location is a selectable option in the app?
2017-9-18
Use props
tiredtim
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Vannibombonato Posted at 2017-9-18 11:02
It's funny, because yesterday night i was thinking at how on earth i would manage the Mavic if i was filming i.e. a car and piloting it to follow the car (obviously i'm not the driver). The Mavic would stop at a certain point, because it would need to return home back were it took off (battery), which is obviously not where you want it to land. You'll want it to land when you finish your "chase". I go to sleep, i wake up, and i found an update which address exactly this very scenario. What can i tell you guys, next time i'll think about something like "it would be cool if the Mavic could be piloted with the mind"...

I can see that in your situation this up date would be useful, but if I'm flying from the comfort of my deckchair, I'd really like the thing to come back to me when RTH kicks in. Heaven forbid I'd have to go looking for it.
PS. Is the any chance you could dream about me winning the Lotto tonight, theres a beer in it for you!!
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

This is a new function added. Users don't need to fresh the current AC Homepoint all the time if he should need, like when you are driving and the drone is doing an active track but suddenly RC signal lost, with this function, when dynamic H point worked and if GPS signal available, the drone flies to the new H point instead of the takeoff point. Note that this is only an example to be listed. More effects for this function depend on the user's need.
But please kindly note that this function is using the drone's GPS function, you can initiate it even your device doesn't have GPS module.
2017-9-18
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-18 20:07
This is a new function added. Users don't need to fresh the current AC Homepoint all the time if he should need, like when you are driving and the drone is doing an active track but suddenly RC signal lost, with this function, when dynamic H point worked and if GPS signal available, the drone flies to the new H point instead of the takeoff point.
But please kindly note that this function is using the drone's GPS function, you can initiate it even your device doesn't have GPS module.

And exactly where in the app can I see this option?
2017-9-18
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
Flight distance : 192244 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-18 20:07
This is a new function added. Users don't need to fresh the current AC Homepoint all the time if he should need, like when you are driving and the drone is doing an active track but suddenly RC signal lost, with this function, when dynamic H point worked and if GPS signal available, the drone flies to the new H point instead of the takeoff point.

If I understand correctly what you are saying, if I have this function set to on and the a/c home point is updated automatically if i was flying over trees or a building and the a/c lost signal it would land automatically in the trees or on a building?
2017-9-18
Use props
tiredtim
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Little John Posted at 2017-9-18 22:10
If I understand correctly what you are saying, if I have this function set to on and the a/c home point is updated automatically if i was flying over trees or a building and the a/c lost signal it would land automatically in the trees or on a building?

Surely it makes more sense to up date the controllers position rather than the MP. Not sure about most folk, but I tend to stand out in the open when flying rather than under a tree!
2017-9-19
Use props
computman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 426194 ft
France

Hi all. Why not juste set the HOVER action when signal lost ? Same result (and disable the RTH on battery low)
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-9-18 21:53
And exactly where in the app can I see this option?

It needs to work with the coming firmware. Please wait patiently.
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Little John Posted at 2017-9-18 22:10

I am sorry for that I forgot to add the sample I added above is just a simulated occasion. This function will also fit for many other cases, and that needs all of us to explore. And, I think you can enable it when there is a need. If you fly the drone in a special environment and you think oh, I don't need this function coz I think it would land my drone in the trees or anywhere else I can not get my drone back, or it might cause a crash etc., you can disable it.
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

tiredtim Posted at 2017-9-19 01:28
Surely it makes more sense to up date the controllers position rather than the MP. Not sure about most folk, but I tend to stand out in the open when flying rather than under a tree!

Please kindly note that Mavic Pro's RC doesn't equip with GPS module, so if there is a relative function, it needs the mobile device's GPS module. And we also hope that we would add more functions on our drone when it is possible in the future. Thanks for your kind attention.
2017-9-19
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

Recently I was inside a car and we were driving and trying to make a good shot with our Mavic on an open field. After a few hundred meters, I noticed that my home point was far away and the Mavic would start to complaint about battery and propose an RTH. To avoid all that I thought I would update my home point to reflect my position.
Unfortunately, the phone's GPS lock was so bad, (not sure why) and if I had continued, I would have lost my drone. The phone's GPS point thought I was 30-40 Km away from my real spot and if I had confirmed that new home point, the Mavic would automatically start RTH to this false Home Point. Thankfully, I didn't select the wrong choice, but it was very close for a mistake to happen.

Having the option to update home point dynamically based on Mavic's GPS lock is a welcome alternative option for those who know how all these systems work and know what they are doing.  
2017-9-19
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-19 01:43
It needs to work with the coming firmware. Please wait patiently.

And why don't DJI release all together? I mean app update, firmware update and most important MANUALS  and DETAILED description of the new features??????????????????????????????????????

I'm not patient regarding flight safety and the loss of my drone because DJI refuses to make things the right way....
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-9-19 07:49
And why don't DJI release all together? I mean app update, firmware update and most important MANUALS  and DETAILED description of the new features??????????????????????????????????????

I'm not patient regarding flight safety and the loss of my drone because DJI refuses to make things the right way....

All are up to date, please check, thanks.
2017-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules