Connecting and disconnecting continually
3626 9 2017-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
krystufer
New
Flight distance : 55361 ft
United Kingdom

I cannot connect from my RC to my Spark for more than 5 seconds. It was working fine for a few weeks, then during a flight it lost connection and landed, luckily not injuring anyone.

Now on repeat attempts to connect it will connect for max 5 seconds.

I have uploaded black box here - https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... cnE2a2c?usp=sharing
I have uploaded video here - https://photos.app.goo.gl/egyfXXwneNNIsJBz2

Additional info - Same issue with OTG and direct wifi connection to controller. Tried on iphone and android devices, same issue. Battery fully charged. Same issue in home area and in country area with zero wifi nearby. Not a hot day. No sign of heating on spark or controller. Issue happens immediately (cool devices)

Ticket raised with DJI support, after 24 hours I was told to resync the controller with the spark o_0 - I dutifully followed this instruction but not unsurprisingly this didn't work. I did learn that without the phone connected it will maintain a constant connection, it is only when the phone is connected and video streaming begins that it immediately disconnects after a few frames are received. This says to me that it is a DJI app or firmware issue, but I am no issue.

I see loads of threads with similar disconnect issues, but DJI seem to be pushing back with generic cut and paste advice. From my perspective I have paid a lot of money for a device that lastest 1 month and now doesn't work for more than 5 seconds at a time. The support organisation don't seem to be taking it seriously. It's pretty disheartening.

Can anyone else help me?

Chris
2017-9-18
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I watched the video, and I observed the "chronic" disconnect in action.  A few observations which may or may not be of any help to you.

1.  You kept the antenna collapsed.  The proximity of RC to spark may make "deploying" the antenna moot, but I'd deploy the antenna and see if there's a difference.
2.  Have you tried altering the frequency from 5.8Ghz to 2.4Ghz (or visa versa)?
3.  Is your environment (home or office) "crowded" with wireless activity?  If you are in a different location, do you observe the same behavior?
4.  A complete and total shot in the dark:  Can you try to put your phone in airplane mode for this exact same test?  I see that you are connected to the phone using OTG, but I've heard reports of Bluetooth having detrimental impact as well as other "noise" from the phone.  I really don't expect your phone to have any impact, but it is a variable that is easy enough to "control".
5.  As another test (which will just provide data to help determine a cause), have you tried to connect to the spark from just the phone (no RC)?  What is the behavior of the connection when just using the phone?
2017-9-18
Use props
krystufer
New
Netherlands

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-18 12:23
I watched the video, and I observed the "chronic" disconnect in action.  A few observations which may or may not be of any help to you.

1.  You kept the antenna collapsed.  The proximity of RC to spark may make "deploying" the antenna moot, but I'd deploy the antenna and see if there's a difference.

Thanks for getting back to me Charles.

1) antenna in or out doesn't impact it.
2) can't seem to do this, it doesn't stay connected long enough for me to make this change, however, my 5.8ghz band is completely empty in my area.
3) Yes - tried it on a country walk, in fact that's when it started.
4) Yes - tried this also, with iphone & android, no difference.
5) I just tried this now. Exactly the same issue. Video here -> https://photos.app.goo.gl/vmPprA8D7QqXDTRN2

No response from DJI support, tempted to return it to the store I purchased it from and let them deal with DJI. Shame, it had such promise as a drone, but this fail is unacceptable after only 1 month and limited uses.

Any advice is appreciated,

Chris
2017-9-19
Use props
krystufer
New
Netherlands

DJI Support have not provided me with a solution, have not offered a repair / replacement, I am within my rights set out in the UK Consumer Rights Act 2015 to receive a full refund. DJI have not responded to this request. I am very disappointed with DJI. I have learned my lesson and it has cost me ~ £750 including the cost of care refresh - I laugh that I purchased care refresh - as if I would get enough opportunities to damage it.

As support seem reluctant / unable / unwilling to assist - I ask again - does anyone have any ideas on how I proceed.
2017-9-19
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

krystufer Posted at 2017-9-19 02:35
DJI Support have not provided me with a solution, have not offered a repair / replacement, I am within my rights set out in the UK Consumer Rights Act 2015 to receive a full refund. DJI have not responded to this request. I am very disappointed with DJI. I have learned my lesson and it has cost me ~ £750 including the cost of care refresh - I laugh that I purchased care refresh - as if I would get enough opportunities to damage it.

As support seem reluctant / unable / unwilling to assist - I ask again - does anyone have any ideas on how I proceed.

Your video demonstrates that just using the phone has the same chronic behavior, of a disconnect within five seconds.  That's another data point, and a good indicator (to me) that the failure of this system is with the spark.  I am curious how this behaves with another mobile device (a separate phone or a tablet), but I don't think that the phone is a factor, because the app is showing disconnect to the spark (which occurs between phone and spark with no RC and occurs between RC and spark with using RC).

It would be another data point, but this evidence thus far is a defective spark.
2017-9-19
Use props
Dave-r
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1214 ft
United Kingdom

this it what i would do reinstall dji go app. run dji assistant 2 and roll back the controller and spark firmware and see what happens then got to be worth a try,good luck
2017-9-19
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Yes, and write a personal message to one of the DJI moderators here to draw their attention to your case.
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

krystufer Posted at 2017-9-19 02:35

Sorry for the late response, just come back from vacation.
Did you try to reset your wifi? Please press the power button for 9 seconds and you will hear 3 beep.  
Please try to relink RC to aircraft. Press pause +Fn+C1,release the button when you hear the beep
Long press the power button of spark, release the button when you hear the beep.
Keep us updated, thanks.

Please keep us updated, thanks.
2017-9-19
Use props
krystufer
New
Netherlands

Hi Elektra, yes - I mentioned what I did in my earlier update.

Hi all, just to let you know, DJI admitted that this needed repair. I sent it in. They assessed it as being a controller fault which - when you consider the fact that I bypassed the controller and still had the error - would be an incorrect assessment IMHO. Today the case was closed and UPS delivered me a new controller. Problem is that I sent them my aircraft, battery and controller. I have emailed support and not received a reply, most likely because the case was closed (I had a survey request). I now consider this a failure to repair my item. I am tired of wasting my time with DJI. My experience of this substandard product and poor support has left me no further options. The UK Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes it an implied term of the contract that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. The DJI Spark is none of these things. I've owned the product for less than 6 months and a previous attempt at repair or replacement with DJI has also failed, therefore I am within my statutory rights to ask for a full refund of the original cost paid + a refund of the DJI care package. I will let you know how I get on with this. I suspect I will have to use section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act to reclaim the money via my credit card. I regret falling for the DJI hype and will not make the mistake again.
2017-10-3
Use props
djiuser_mjx68zLZrv4j
New

United States

krystufer Posted at 2017-10-3 03:44
Hi Elektra, yes - I mentioned what I did in my earlier update.

Hi all, just to let you know, DJI admitted that this needed repair. I sent it in. They assessed it as being a controller fault which - when you consider the fact that I bypassed the controller and still had the error - would be an incorrect assessment IMHO. Today the case was closed and UPS delivered me a new controller. Problem is that I sent them my aircraft, battery and controller. I have emailed support and not received a reply, most likely because the case was closed (I had a survey request). I now consider this a failure to repair my item. I am tired of wasting my time with DJI. My experience of this substandard product and poor support has left me no further options. The UK Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes it an implied term of the contract that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. The DJI Spark is none of these things. I've owned the product for less than 6 months and a previous attempt at repair or replacement with DJI has also failed, therefore I am within my statutory rights to ask for a full refund of the original cost paid + a refund of the DJI care package. I will let you know how I get on with this. I suspect I will have to use section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act to reclaim the money via my credit card. I regret falling for the DJI hype and will not make the mistake again.

So disappointed at this ending! I have two DJI Spark devices and they are experiencing the same problems. They were both preowned so I don’t know what they went through before they came to me but they were both in excellent working order for the last six months and suddenly one day one of them started doing everything exactly as you describe and about two weeks later the other one wound up the same way! I’ve also done everything that you describe having done to no avail. I haven’t tried contacting support yet as I thought the faster answer would be in the forums. Which I guess it was.
2020-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules