Poll: Forum user ranking. Confusing or fun?
123Next >
10200 118 2017-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

I'm fine with whatever you guys decide on.  

While we're on the subject, does anyone have a list of how many points are currently required to reach each rank?
2017-9-19
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-9-19 15:15
That's a great idea. Thanks!

I like it the way it is. There needs to be a way of knowing the sort of experience the person posting has. If you base it on the number of posts, you will just get people posting for the sake of posting and not contributing anything useful. I have seen some people posting answers to queries and they don't even own a drone yet.
2017-9-19
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

I think it's fine. The purpose of the forum is to my understanding about knowledge sharing, troubleshooting, tutorials or other links to footage, photos and tips. After a while you see that some persons have more knowledge then others so you learn where to find good knowledge. I think this forum is a great resource for finding answers to different questions that different people might have.
Don't change it to some kind of social media plattform with likes and stuff like that. I think that will dramatically increase the number of posts with "no content".

I think instead of fixing this you should put your resources to evolve some other functionality in the forum

1. Change the order of the posts, i.e. let the latest one be the first one you see
2. Show only the new/unread posts in threads that you "subscribe" to (if there is something you want to follow closely you can subscribe to a thread). (make it a choice so you can do it the way you want it).
3. When you guys from DJI have something "new" to inform about create a new thread for instance "new software" release make it a new thread
4. Create a # function so you can send an alert to #DJI_JOE cause many people don't understand that you have to reply to someones post to get the functionality.

So to summarize try to make it a good user experience instead on focus on the ranking function.

my 2 cents
2017-9-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-9-19 14:04
Great insight, everyone. You all have some good ideas. To start, the choices I've given are going to some of our only options since dev resources are limited. I like the idea of   - [downvotes] = [level], but it's important to avoid malicious actions by users with a score to settle.

Ok now that you say downvote can be used to settle old scores. And has some negative connotations.

I propose getting rid of upvote/downvote, it serves no use.

Replace with a TIP BUTTON
Clear Tip Button when it receives 1 clicks it changes to green (goodTip)
When it gets 5 clicks it changes to Blue (very good tip)
When it gets 10 clicks it changes to Red (excellent tip)
When it gets 20 clicks it changes to Gold (Rare Tip)

A system to get to know good tipsters can be derived from when posters tips get different levels of colours so members can have certain colours attached to their avatar, to show their level of good and positive tipping.

This type of system may have the effect of users giving a little more taught to information given.
I also think there is a good amount of camaraderie on this forum, many funny threads many supportive threads, and friendships will have struck up as well as from time to time adversaries and most of this helps making this forum a success, which in turn gives support and great help to all users, it would IMHO be a mistake to make this forum all about tech and trouble shooting.
My 2p worth.
2017-9-20
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-9-19 14:04
Great insight, everyone. You all have some good ideas. To start, the choices I've given are going to some of our only options since dev resources are limited. I like the idea of   - [downvotes] = [level], but it's important to avoid malicious actions by users with a score to settle.

I actually had the original poster in mind with an issue, problem or simply a question, who hands out points (Upvotes) to the most useful/helpful replies and possibly Downvotes for wrong/useless replies.
This would virtually eliminate two things:
1) votes by users who "have a score to settle"
2) users who are merely guessing the correct solution

It would motivate the users to supply a correct and helpful solution to a particular problem based on facts.
Let's leave the "alternative facts" in the White House...
2017-9-20
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

15matjan Posted at 2017-9-19 11:05
Flight experience should prevail instead of forum activity and posts.

That way, it would not supose to be a forum, but a flight club!
2017-9-20
Use props
15matjan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1158258 ft
  • >>>
Spain

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-9-20 03:14
That way, it would not supose to be a forum, but a flight club!

I supose you buy a DJI drone for flying. I doubt any will buy a drone just to have the legal excuse and ownership rights to posts topics on this or any other related forums.
I think everything we discuss here is related to flying, moreover when for any particular reason we can't.
2017-9-20
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Not directly related but also a suggestion: New users should be obliged to enter a proper name for their profile instead of attributing the fansXXXXXXX names by default. It is very difficult to distinguish the participants of a discussion when they have this generic name and no profile picture.
2017-9-20
Use props
Eric ncfwa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322526 ft
Australia

I like the idea of flight distance as a guide to experience, but Litchi doesn't show up like another post has shown, Litchi now has the option to sync all your DJI flights, maybe DJI would consider syncing Litchi flights to DJI
Regards
Eric
2017-9-20
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

I would prefer the flight time/distance. I posted here a few weeks ago and asked a question. I got a response that implied I was an idiot rookie because my status was beginner. I got over 600k feet, over 120 hours, but was treated as a newbie. This is the first time I've been back to this forum since then. And I still didn't get my question answered.
2017-9-20
Use props
Mountaindrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>
France

the flight experience (calculated with the flight distance) should give more points (50/50)
and maybe the number of pictures posted in skypixel shouuld give some points ...
2017-9-20
Use props
BernieB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18737 ft
United States

I find the ranking useful in gauging the the accuracy of advice that is proffered.  It is, however, still a mystery to me why the flight distance never updates for my profile despite routinely syncing flight records.
2017-9-20
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Joe,
I have seen many improvements since you have joined the DJI team. Thank you for your continued support and help.
I think the ranking helps forum members see at a glance your experience. Some of us have much experience that is from our education, electronics,  life long knowledge of radio controlled aircraft and full scale aviation. This experience is not only flying drones.  Showing your experience level and the DJI products you own can add creditability to your value on the forum.  It is a nice information to see, and you can ask questions from a member that has the same product as you own by looking at their profile.  

The information is useful and a welcome addition to the forum stats.

Joe, I feel leaving the system alone is best and believe this is forward progress for all the members.

Rich
2017-9-20
Use props
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
Flight distance : 429114 ft
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-9-19 17:20
I think it's ok the way it is... Show forum contribuition with ranks, and experience of the pilot showing the drones and distance... The only thing is the point system... there are some guys who clearly like to say anything stupid, trolling  threads, and posting useless comments just to rank up... this point system encourages more people flood threads with those useless comments...

Flight distance is posted, but it doesn't say if that is hours flown, miles flown, inches flown or what.  I guess we should just know that it is meters.  Why not feet or miles?   I also think that time flown, not distance flown, should be a contributing factor, along with time.     Thanks
2017-9-20
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

rank shmank, credibility is perhaps all i care to know when looking for advice. and if you've read forums you know there is always another opinion, no matter how absolute one person may feel on the subject. In any case, most folks in forums are a quick study with the ability to see their posts and all. If anything I'd like to see skypixel accounts (posts) linked.
2017-9-20
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

The points system should also be improved.  The higher the ranking the more points should be given due to more knowledge and post reply submissions.
2017-9-20
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

15matjan Posted at 2017-9-20 04:13
I supose you buy a DJI drone for flying. I doubt any will buy a drone just to have the legal excuse and ownership rights to posts topics on this or any other related forums.
I think everything we discuss here is related to flying, moreover when for any particular reason we can't.

Dear 15matjan,

Thanks for your reply. It is very important to discuss, mainly different opinions.
And someone having a different opinion than mine does not implicate any of us are right or wrong.
When I questioned your assertive, I would trying to say that, in my humble opinion, different objects may be treated differently.
For example: If I am a forum user about video games, doesn’t indicate that I am obliged to have a video game. And if I have one, as a forum user it doesn’t matter if I finished one game or twenty; if I have unlocked 1000k of achievements or if I am noob.
The matters is that I should be an interesting guy, help each other, discuss with politeness and this will determine my status on this specific “object”: the forum.
And bringing the discussion to our reality: to be part of DJI forum I don’t HAVE to have a vant.
And being a good user, should determine my status in the forum.
It doesn’t depend on my capacity of flying.
Different things should be treated different.
But as I said: it is my opinion. I would never say I am right. It is just the way I believe it should be.
2017-9-20
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

1)  Flight distance is not recorded when using DJI Goggles (or I've not found how to get that recorded/recognized).  This will discourage me from using the Goggles if I care about the flight distance (and I really don't).

The current system is interesting, but it isn't driving my behavior, and I really don't have any preference or care if it's changed.

I think that there's something DJI might want to consider...  the business purpose of the forums is to decrease the costs of DJI support by having the community provide self-support.  This is an excellent business approach, and it might be good to enhance the forums in a manner that helps facilitate this business purpose.

What I'm getting at is a system where someone in DJI can designate a forum participant as a "respected" or "trusted" source of knowledge and aid.  Obviously this would need to be done in a manner that doesn't increase the liability of the company.  But it would be good for users to be able to weigh the value of advice from one user vs. another user.  I'm thinking of circumstances where one user is advocating for breaking of rules/regulations or manual instructions, and another user is advocating for following rules and instructions.  If the second user is someone who has consistently offered sound advice that does not conflict with DJI's interests or policies, it would be great to have this person designated as a "trusted" or "respected" source of aid and knowledge.

OR give the forum participants a means of designating other forum participants as such.  A "trusted" score.  "This person is trusted by 7 other forum participants".
2017-9-20
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-20 01:18
Ok now that you say downvote can be used to settle old scores. And has some negative connotations.

I propose getting rid of upvote/downvote, they really serve no real purpose.

hallmark, this is actually one of the most compelling ideas I've seen suggested.

I'm thinking it would look like this:

5-10 upvotes = 1 bronze point
10-20 upvotes = 1 silver point
>20 upvotes = 1 gold point

Underneath each username will be each badge (bronze, silver, gold) with the number of earned points beside each one.

It would undoubtedly take a long time to implement if we have the dev resources at all, but if this post gets a large number of upvotes I'll pitch the idea to whomever I can.

What do you fellas think?
2017-9-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-9-20 10:32
hallmark, this is actually one of the most compelling ideas I've seen suggested.

Very good but I would do away with downvote, I think it can be used to negatively . Go for it.
2017-9-20
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-9-20 10:32

I like that approach!
2017-9-20
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-20 01:18

I propose getting rid of upvote/downvote, they really serve no real purpose.

That's a good way to derive my idea of "trusted", but as you state you need to get rid of "downvote" or have "downvote" not factor into this equation.  Downvote could remain, but it only impacts the score of the post and doesn't impact any derived scores.
2017-9-20
Use props
Sidd Finch
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

Why not have both so that the user can sort on what is more interest to them. Someone who has lost and lots of hours might not articulate well and someone who is a regular contributor is more interested in helping others get the best reply to their question than doing as much flying. Both have their merits.

Sidd
2017-9-20
Use props
stalters
lvl.2
United States

I am new here, so I'm a Beginner. I think the rankings are fine so far. Eventually, I may change my mind.
2017-9-20
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

No strong preference.  Seems fine thee way it is but it would definitely be nice as a beginner to be able to see how experienced the operator is that is responding to a post.  It is always nice to know who is speaking from real experience.
2017-9-20
Use props
Zamboon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
Zambia

15matjan Posted at 2017-9-19 11:05
Flight experience should prevail instead of forum activity and posts.

Yes I agree 100%. That is what its all about.

Saying that there is some very useful advice posted now and again but not sure how to credit that!
2017-9-20
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Flying huge distances across a desert devoid of obstacles does not necessarily give people much knowledge about flying.
Reading all the training manuals ten times over doesn't either, but it does give people a lot of important background knowledge.

The current user rank is effectively giving a measure of peoples knowledge gained through reading and when giving advice on the forum is probably a lot more relevant than flight distance, it is good to be able to see both.  

Of course a real captain doesn't get to be captain until he has both flight hours and knowledge gained in other ways, but that can't be implemented since not everyone's flight hours are known by the forum.
2017-9-21
Use props
fans4f8954b4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18275925 ft
  • >>>
France

Dji, maybe you can rank those are waiting for the ultra CS and the cadence radio upon the time they are waiting?? If so I'm an admiral if so.
2017-9-21
Use props
Zamboon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
Zambia

Some very good points raised, as one of them said try not to reward the folk who post meaningless comments so as to get up the ranking scale, it wastes all of our time and sometimes starts arguments!
2017-9-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Zamboon Posted at 2017-9-20 22:39
Yes I agree 100%. That is what its all about.

Saying that there is some very useful advice posted now and again but not sure how to credit that!

I feel every system has it's con's and pro's, but right now the forum point don't correlate with experience with DJI products OR how meaningful one's replies have been.
I am not sure if you really need such a ranking and think that also gives new 'problems' (who will tell if a reply is meaningful).

My own contribution to this forum has been limited from the 'advice' point of view as I don't own a drone yet.
Sometimes I read a question I do know an answer to, or give my opinion on a shared video, but that's about it.
I do really like to read about the questions and info posted here to make a good buying decision in the near future and this forum is a great way to do that!
2017-9-21
Use props
EagleEyeUAV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

my only complaint is yopu cannot see fully what you can do on the forum on the sides the wording is cut off by half of the descriptiond
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

NOTE: User groups have been adjusted. The following changes have been made:

• Renamed user groups to be more innocuous. "Second Officer", "First Officer", and "Captain" remain so users can have at least some prestige for having earned so many points.
  • Changed points rules. It is not a lot easier to rank up.

• New = <10 points
  • lvl.1 = <100 points
  • lvl.2 = <300 points
  • lvl.3 = <500 points
  • lvl.4 = <1000 points
  • Second Officer = <2500 points
  • First Officer = <5000 points
  • Captain = >5000 points
2017-9-21
Use props
Mafia16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-9-21 09:06
NOTE: User groups have been adjusted. The following changes have been made:

Please add flag in country we flown in the forum.
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Mafia16 Posted at 2017-9-21 09:46
Please add flag in country we flown in the forum.

The forum currently doesn't support this functionality. I'll bring it up to the devs when I can.
2017-9-21
Use props
Mafia16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-9-21 09:48
The forum currently doesn't support this functionality. I'll bring it up to the devs when I can.

Thanks Also to see if devices like m200, m100, Crystalsky can be add to the equipment we own
2017-9-21
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2017-9-19 11:20
How would you describe flight experience? By years? By distance?
Maybe it should be determined upon how many drones someone has crashed yet :-)

I would have thought it to be time flying and experience with different aircraft and then posts added or commented / helped with.
2017-9-21
Use props
Da Lata
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008297 ft

Brazil

DJI Joe why my flight distance apear on my ranking and my drone (P3S) don't?
2017-9-21
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

I would say,....leave it the way it was.
Or change to whatever anyone wants.
In other words who cares about this status?
As long as we can distinctive the DJI representatives it's all fine to me.
2017-9-21
Use props
Slic Ric
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4393 ft
United States

Nice. I like the ranks. It helps to rank a persons response legitimacy.
2017-9-21
Use props
KEDDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

"it does have some purpose in limiting new users' abilities to post to the forums (to avoid spam),"

This makes absolutely no sense, all we got is a lot of irrelevant postings so that people can get a lot of points!

Please make your devs fix the pages and add some help as much of the "Rights" say nothing and some can't even be read (using Firefox).
What does "read perm. : 30" say tex.

As far i can figure out, i have the right to use the signature editor, where do i find this? - i think it could be nice if we could write in a signature what equipment, fw v., software etc. we use.

Often users are asked by both mods and other users to post a video of a problem and/or a picture in full resolution, i think it was an idea to make the platform support this and not put in a limit of 1MB or whatever ones "Level" allow.

Never the less, can i please have the title of "On parole", if i need to have title i think it sounds a lot cooler than the new "Lvl. 3" thing and i really can't take this level thing serious anyway!

My Group?

My Group?

2017-9-21
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules