Inspire 1 crashed during auto landing
1691 10 2015-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ssteenberg
lvl.2

United States

Mine was coming down after I commanded auto land. It was about 2" off the ground and it surged forward. It caught the front landing gears on concrete and flipped over endo style and clipped two bystanders in the leg. Cut one of their legs and broke one prop the other three props are scratched up. I was not inputting any commands when this happened.

Compass and IMU calibrated before flight and running latest firmware on everything.
2015-4-4
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Sorry to hear!   Must have lost GPS at a critical time.   

Still, you would think that if it's auto-landing it would have a safe-guard against this and just keep coming down.   Worst case scenario is you have to manually shut down with the remote.   Would prefer that to a crash!
2015-4-4
Use props
TDL
New

Switzerland

:@

Was prepare to land, landing gear lower, in less than 1M above the ground, then thought of try out the auto landing.
Once launch the auto landing feature, the copter rise to about 30M in speed and then cannot gain any control with the remote, when it reach about 30M all 4 motor cuts off by itself and have a FREE FALL straight & hit the ground!!!! Luckily it was a clear compound. The right carbon, gimbal, 2 propeller and the top all break apart

We have been flying all the DJI IMU & copters for years, never experience anything alike before!!!
2015-4-20
Use props
bostonlines
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1045558 ft
United States

I would never auto land.  Why risk it especially with all of the horror stories out there.  I land manually about 90% of the time and catch the rest.   I only catch when I am on sand or on a boat.
2015-4-20
Use props
justin.mah
lvl.2

Canada

bostonlines@gma Posted at 2015-4-21 02:06
I would never auto land.  Why risk it especially with all of the horror stories out there.  I land m ...

How do you shut down the motors if you catch it? I don't think I can do CSC with one hand holding the bird.
2015-4-20
Use props
bostonlines
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1045558 ft
United States

justin.mah Posted at 2015-4-21 02:10
How do you shut down the motors if you catch it? I don't think I can do CSC with one hand holding  ...

Once you catch it, hold down throttle and the motors will stop.  Then slowly bring it down to let the auto landing gear initiate.  

Watch this video...this is exactly what I do.

2015-4-20
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Notice he says don't do it unless absolutely necessary.  Great Advise.  Too dangerous
2015-4-20
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

mine did the same thing during a return to home.  Luckily I canceled it a millisecond before smashing a tree.
2015-4-20
Use props
presti
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1329 ft

United States

Did anyone have a problem with the auto Iris after the update? it looks like when in sun light it will open all the way and will not adjust I then need to set it in manual and then adjust it. Anyone having this problem, it was fine before the update.
2015-4-20
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

It has nothing to do with auto land and everything to do with you letting the pack run down to almost nothing.
How do I know? - lol
The craft will wig out in ground effect with the last spurts of juice not supplying what the esc's are asking for.

Don't run your packs down to zero - or else

Bob
2015-4-20
Use props
ssteenberg
lvl.2

United States

Wish that was it. I was at 30% when this happened.
2015-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules