Phantom 4 Shutter Half Press
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dingoz
lvl.3
Australia

Hi,

Can someone explain if this is normal. My shutter button does not half press as far as I can tell (nothing like any other camera's half press to focus). Its just the same as the record button. Press it and it takes a photo instantly. There is no middle or half sensitivity at all (no 2 stage that I can feel... its just on/off for me)?

Confused

2017-9-19
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

DJI hasn't mastered that one yet. what you feel is what ya get.
2017-9-19
Use props
Dingoz
lvl.3
Australia

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-9-19 17:52
DJI hasn't mastered that one yet. what you feel is what ya get.

But material talks about half-press to focus? Manual states its a 2 stage button. How does half-press to focus work then?
2017-9-19
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Somebody  else on here smarter should be able to help.
2017-9-19
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

My experience is its inconsistent, I'm using the + symbol as the middle screen symbol if I push the button easy I will get a square symbol in the screen which I assume is focused then when I push to the stop the picture is snapped however this is not constant some times it just snaps the picture. If I use the button symbol on the screen it just takes the picture. That just from my observations, someone out there should know the answer, I'm assuming the change from the + symbol to the square box indicates focus---- but I could be wrong.

Would be nice to know if my assumption is right or wrong.
2017-9-19
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

The issue comes down to what is a "two-stage button" as the manual does describe the shutter button as two stage.  However, no where does it describe auto focus using two-stage.  As nearly as I can tell it only says the shutter button is two-stage and that is it.
My guess only, but it is either a misprint (highly possible), or it was an intended feature that did not get activated or implemented, or it is a feature that they will activate in the future.
Either way the button does not operate like you would prefer, for now.
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

May I know which drone do you refer? Phantom 4 Standard, Phantom 4 Advanced or Phantom 4 Pro?
2017-9-19
Use props
Dingoz
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-19 18:35
May I know which drone do you refer? Phantom 4 Standard, Phantom 4 Advanced or Phantom 4 Pro?

Phantom 4 Advanced. Manual states 2 stage button (same as Phantom 4 Pro). Someone mentioned elsewhere the shutter button should have 2 clicks (one click when lightly pressed half way for focus and the pressed in fully another click to take photo). Is this correct? My shutter button feels and acts just like the record or pause button - just one click and it takes the photo (no in between at all). Remote is a GL300C.
2017-9-19
Use props
Dingoz
lvl.3
Australia

So I have spoken with DJI support today twice (online chat). Despite asking for a clarification (is the manual wrong or is the controller wrong/faulty design) no one could give me a definite answer. Just send it back with eta 4 weeks turnaround. Really trying to figure this out as what a waste of time and money if its just the manual/marketing that is wrong. I mean it should have the same 2 stage shutter button as the P4P because the camera needs focusing just like the Pro and unlike the fixed P4 Standard and all other Phantoms before it.

But the question remains is it meant to. Do others with P4 Advanced have 2 stage shutter button???

2017-9-20
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

In the phantom 4 pro the first stage of button press will give you a zoomed in view centered on the centre of your current screen and im assuming this is for fine focus this is a digital zoom so all its really doing is magnified the current image once you push button to second stage then you take the photo. Dont get fooled into thinking tho that you can or the drone will take photos at the zoomed in 1st stage this is not the case the image produced will be at normal viewing ie what you see is what you get.
2017-9-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Dingoz Posted at 2017-9-19 19:35
Phantom 4 Advanced. Manual states 2 stage button (same as Phantom 4 Pro). Someone mentioned elsewhere the shutter button should have 2 clicks (one click when lightly pressed half way for focus and the pressed in fully another click to take photo). Is this correct? My shutter button feels and acts just like the record or pause button - just one click and it takes the photo (no in between at all). Remote is a GL300C.

Phantom 4 Advanced supports half press to focus. Please switch the AF and try again.
2017-9-20
Use props
Dingoz
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-20 01:10
Phantom 4 Advanced supports half press to focus. Please switch the AF and try again.

Thanks Susan. In that case I must have a faulty controller (or a controller that somehow got an old design shutter button put into it because as far as I know the GL300C supplied with P4A is not cross compatible with any other Phantom.

I know how to use technical equipment so its not a setting or user error... I can tap on the phone screen  to focus (with or without the zoom assistance just fine). But the mechanical button on the controller is a single stage button just like the pause or video record button (no way to half press it at all like on a Phantom 4 Pro). I assume then that if I send it back I will get a controller back that has a 2 stage mechanical shutter button on the controller that can be half pressed to focus.
What makes me concerned is where this info comes from. Susan are you relying on the manual or have you held one in your hands or seen this in person and know for sure?
2017-9-20
Use props
Dingoz
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-20 01:10

Will keep this updated as something is not right. I asked other owners of P4A for some feedback and so far 1 other person confirm their P4A remote also only has a 1 stage shutter button. So I am not alone at least that's some info to start. Did early batches get built wrong and has it been added to more recent batches or does it actually not exist at all other than in the manual (which is wrong then). I will be very upset if I send my remote back to DJI based on their advice 'it should have' and wait a month to get it back and then find its exactly the same anyway.
2017-9-20
Use props
M109
lvl.4

New Zealand

Dingoz Posted at 2017-9-20 03:04
Will keep this updated as something is not right. I asked other owners of P4A for some feedback and so far 1 other person confirm their P4A remote also only has a 1 stage shutter button. So I am not alone at least that's some info to start. Did early batches get built wrong and has it been added to more recent batches or does it actually not exist at all other than in the manual (which is wrong then). I will be very upset if I send my remote back to DJI based on their advice 'it should have' and wait a month to get it back and then find its exactly the same anyway.

And I can confirm my P4P (and I'd presume the P4A would be the same since it uses the same camera) has a 2 stage shutter button and 1/2 press will zoom in so you can get a better idea of the focus (only if you turn the zoom to focus on of course) otherwise it will just focus and then a full press will take a photo.
2017-9-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Dingoz Posted at 2017-9-20 02:05
Thanks Susan. In that case I must have a faulty controller (or a controller that somehow got an old design shutter button put into it because as far as I know the GL300C supplied with P4A is not cross compatible with any other Phantom.

I know how to use technical equipment so its not a setting or user error... I can tap on the phone screen  to focus (with or without the zoom assistance just fine). But the mechanical button on the controller is a single stage button just like the pause or video record button (no way to half press it at all like on a Phantom 4 Pro). I assume then that if I send it back I will get a controller back that has a 2 stage mechanical shutter button on the controller that can be half pressed to focus.

I have checked the Phantom 4 Advanced with build-in screen at my hand, it is available to focus with half pressing. Just to verify, do you refer the one with build-in screen or not? It is a feature of RC with build-in screen.
2017-9-21
Use props
Dingoz
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-21 02:13
I have checked the Phantom 4 Advanced with build-in screen at my hand, it is available to focus with half pressing. Just to verify, do you refer the one with build-in screen or not? It is a feature of RC with build-in screen.

No I do not have the built in screen version I have the GL300C (with no screen). That said the manual states both versions have the 2 stage shutter button. Are you saying that ONLY the version with built in screen does in reality (that the manual is wrong?). To my understanding the phantom 4 Pro without the built in screen also has the 2 stage button too.
2017-9-21
Use props
Dingoz
lvl.3
Australia

Here is a summary of all the info I have gathered so far on this matter:

- The Phantom 4 Advanced manual states both versions of the supplied remote controller (with or without built in screen) have a 2 stage shutter button for focusing with a half press.
- The GL300C version (without screen) supplied with the P4A is missing the 2 stage button (to date no other owner has said they do and several have said they do not also).
** So that means the controller has not been updated for the P4A to include the 2 stage button as the manual states, OR ???
** The manual/marketing is wrong and DJI decided not to include the 2 stage button at all (although never mention this in the what's different between the models. ???

- In fairness the P4A should have a remote with a 2 stage focus button as its the same variable focus camera as P4P.
- Additionally all versions of the P4P remote have the 2 stage button and the P4A with built in screen version has the 2 stage button. Just the P4A GL300C version does not.
- The GL300C remote is the same model number for Phantom 4 Standard + Phantom 4 Advanced (P4A just has range increased in software by boost of the 2.4 signal).
- Why DJI did not also update the remote to include the 2 stage button I can only guess but I might assume because its a hardware change.
- The P4P remote works with P4A but can not use the 5.8 frequency (is this the solution to replace my remote with the GL300F version)?

2017-9-21
Use props
Valentiaman2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 156276 ft
Ireland

I'm a professional photographer, and I have the P4A. I'm at a loss to know how it could possibly operate a 2-stage focus, using the app on a phone or even a screen, as the screen may not be able to determine a "half press" from a "full press".

However, I have been pre-focusing the P4A since I got it, by pressing gently on the screen, over the object that I wish to be sharply focused. This causes the camera to focus at that point (the app zooms in on the object and focusing point turns green). I then press the shutter release to take the shot.
2017-9-22
Use props
Dingoz
lvl.3
Australia

Valentiaman2 Posted at 2017-9-22 03:01
I'm a professional photographer, and I have the P4A. I'm at a loss to know how it could possibly operate a 2-stage focus, using the app on a phone or even a screen, as the screen may not be able to determine a "half press" from a "full press".

However, I have been pre-focusing the P4A since I got it, by pressing gently on the screen, over the object that I wish to be sharply focused. This causes the camera to focus at that point (the app zooms in on the object and focusing point turns green). I then press the shutter release to take the shot.

a 2 stage remote button operates no different to a dslr camera or the tap to focus on the phone app. Half press the button to focus (just the same as a tap on the screen to ficus but without risk of moving the focus point/box) and a full press to take the picture (just like pressing the red circle button n the app.
2017-9-22
Use props
Valentiaman2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 156276 ft
Ireland

Dingoz Posted at 2017-9-22 06:54
a 2 stage remote button operates no different to a dslr camera or the tap to focus on the phone app. Half press the button to focus (just the same as a tap on the screen to ficus but without risk of moving the focus point/box) and a full press to take the picture (just like pressing the red circle button n the app.

Sorry, but there is a huge difference between depressing a DSLR's shutter release button and the image of a button on a screen, a tablet or a smartphone.

The difference is that with a DSLR (and I have used cameras for over 40 years professionally and I am the Associate Editor of a prestigious UK camera magazine), the shutter release button physically moves downwards. That's how you know it's "halfway" and you can hold it there, while you refocus.

I'm using the touch the screen where you want to focus the drone method with good effect. It might just take a bit of practice.
2017-9-22
Use props
Dingoz
lvl.3
Australia

Valentiaman2 Posted at 2017-9-22 07:30
Sorry, but there is a huge difference between depressing a DSLR's shutter release button and the image of a button on a screen, a tablet or a smartphone.

The difference is that with a DSLR (and I have used cameras for over 40 years professionally and I am the Associate Editor of a prestigious UK camera magazine), the shutter release button physically moves downwards. That's how you know it's "halfway" and you can hold it there, while you refocus.

I think you are missing the point or context here. This thread is not discussing focusing using the phone screen with the app. This thread is discussing focusing using the physical shutter button on the remote control. On Phantom 4 pro's (all models) and Phantom 4 Advanced (model with built in screen) there is a 2 stage shutter button just like on a DSLR - you can half press it to focus and fully depress to release the shutter/take the picture.

Of course a half press makes no sense on a phone screen or in the app. We are not talking about the app.
2017-9-22
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Valentiaman2 Posted at 2017-9-22 07:30

You're a professional photographer who has been using cameras for over 40 years and you didn't realize your controller has a shutter button on it?  And you've been screwing around with the silly app button to take photos?  Wow.
2017-9-22
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Dingoz Posted at 2017-9-20 00:38
So I have spoken with DJI support today twice (online chat). Despite asking for a clarification (is the manual wrong or is the controller wrong/faulty design) no one could give me a definite answer. Just send it back with eta 4 weeks turnaround. Really trying to figure this out as what a waste of time and money if its just the manual/marketing that is wrong. I mean it should have the same 2 stage shutter button as the P4P because the camera needs focusing just like the Pro and unlike the fixed P4 Standard and all other Phantoms before it.

But the question remains is it meant to. Do others with P4 Advanced have 2 stage shutter button???

My understanding is that other than the sensor banks there is no fundamental difference between the P4P and P4A to include Camera and flight capabilities.
2017-9-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Dingoz Posted at 2017-9-21 04:31
Here is a summary of all the info I have gathered so far on this matter:

- The Phantom 4 Advanced manual states both versions of the supplied remote controller (with or without built in screen) have a 2 stage shutter button for focusing with a half press.

Sir, I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I have PMed you, please check the message.
2017-9-26
Use props
shamot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1515246 ft
Czechia

Hello, I have P4A+ and there is half press of shutter button although it sometimes work strange e.g. when I half press the shutter it actually focuses but sometimes the focused part of image gets zoomed and sometimes not. What is even stranger is it only makes the picture of the zoomed area instead of whole picture when I don't wait for a while for a zoomed view to disappear but press the shutter buttonimmediately after the half press instead.
2017-9-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

shamot Posted at 2017-9-29 01:44
Hello, I have P4A+ and there is half press of shutter button although it sometimes work strange e.g. when I half press the shutter it actually focuses but sometimes the focused part of image gets zoomed and sometimes not. What is even stranger is it only makes the picture of the zoomed area instead of whole picture when I don't wait for a while for a zoomed view to disappear but press the shutter buttonimmediately after the half press instead.

Sometimes the focused part of image gets zoomed and sometimes not.

You can turn off the Autofocus Assistant in the app and you won't have it magnifying part of the image
2017-9-29
Use props
shamot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1515246 ft
Czechia

Labroides Posted at 2017-9-29 02:27
Sometimes the focused part of image gets zoomed and sometimes not.

You can turn off the Autofocus Assistant in the app and you won't have it magnifying part of the image

will do, thank you !
2017-9-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules