A different perspective...
2110 19 2015-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

I have been a photographer for many decades (I am in my late 50'S now) and have only recently delved into video with a quad/aerial platform.  But what I have noticed is this:  I used to go out with my camera and shoot on average 100 to 150 shots a day.  Now I go out with my camera and plan out how I can get the quad to video the same scene - either using way points or GPS or manual flying.  It makes me think in a whole new way.

If I ever become any good at it makes no difference.  I love how this hobby has made me use my mind and vision and imagination in a whole new way.

Just something I was pondering on while looking at the 15 shots I took with my DSLR while out tonight.

2015-4-4
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Nrg,

"I love how this hobby has made me use my mind" again.

Same here, nice thought.

Jerry
2015-4-4
Use props
cathalspot
lvl.2

Ireland

Hi Jerry
I know the feeling.
Just wondering in your opinion what are the best camera settings.
Do you use Awb?
Do you shoot soft or standard?
Any tips would help, a lot of different settings, I started using soft settings as found the standard too harsh.
Catha

2015-4-5
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

cathalspot@yaho Posted at 2015-4-5 20:02
Hi Jerry
I know the feeling.

Cath,

You're talking to the wrong dude when it comes to that kind of stuff. My professional photography experience ends at snapping pictures with my iPhone! Nrg could probably provide some helpful tips, it's in his blood. I'm sure he'll chime in. I'm too worried with going fast and far right now. All I have to worry about is turning the camera on before I take off!

Jerry
2015-4-5
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Jerry
I know the feeling.

Depends on your scenes and your workflow.
If you are going to work on the photos a lot afterwards, use RAW - then you can adjust most everything after.

If you are going to take them stock from the camera, AWB is probably best - but still pay attention to the time of day, angle of the sun, shadows, etc.
If in bright sun a lens hood will help. Some people swear by the ND (neutral density) filters which suppress sunlight to a degree.

I think the angle, altitude, time of day and other factors are the most important criteria to get a good picture. As nrg notes, you have to "think different". Newbies will often think that max distance and altitude are important...when, in fact, most aerial photos look best (at least to me) from much lower altitudes and closer in. After all, we are all (mostly) used to looking out of airplane windows but much less at looking from 100-300 feet up. Also, most man made objects are relatively small.

Video is a whole different ball game. I actually prefer still shots...

I think a big secret with still shots is getting rid of the wide angle curvature - at least to a degree. These can be taken care of in various ways from software adjustment to cropping to proper initial angle and setting of the camera(s).

I'm no pro - but I have an eye for what looks good and what does not. Wide angle has it's place in close up sports and other ventures, but it can tend to put too much in the picture with some aerial shots (plus the bent horizon, etc.).
2015-4-5
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Hi Jerry
I know the feeling.

I have seen these questions/threads asking this a hundred times.  I have refrained from answering since there is no answer.  Even if I equate what I know about my DSLR to imaging, I have no idea how that equates to video.  I have never shot more than one frame at a time until now.  I know what ISO means and how to adjust - does that equate to video, probably;  I know what white balance is and how to adjust in my composition, does that equate to video?  I don't know yet.  Shutter speed?  Aperture? F-Stop? Blah, blah, blah.

What I do know is this:  Everything on how you set up your camera to shoot - whether for video or still shots, DSLR or FPV system of one sort or another - depends on your understanding of photography, or more precisely, light and the actual situation you find yourself in as far as available light/artificial light, etc.  If you understand the relationships between aperture, shutter speed, ISO (film speed/light sensitivity) then to set up your camera on the Phantom should be no different.  You should go through the settings for each and every flight to get the best results from any  given clip.  Every given natural/artificial light quality will require different settings to achieve consistent quality.  It does not come easy, it comes with experience.

BUT - all of that depends on your willingness and ability to post-process and what tools you have available.  There are so many variables that to say one set of settings is better over another is simply not reasonable.  

For me, personally, I would shoot all stills in RAW and all video as neutral as possible with the widest tonal range for the scene I am shooting.  Allows for the most post processing ability.  Auto white balance (unless you shoot a greyscale frame for reference in post - a good idea if you use advance software like Final Cut Pro).  Other than that, I am learning just like the rest of you.  Got any tips?

ETA: (sarcastically) I could write a primer, but...
2015-4-5
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Nrg,

"Got any tips"

Not just no but hell no! It'll take me a week just to figure out what the hell you're talking about! When I said it was good to use my mind again, I meant to get the damned bird in the air!

Jerry
2015-4-5
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Houston - we have contact!  All systems go!

The bird is in the air!

2015-4-5
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

nrgwise@gmail.c Posted at 2015-4-6 11:08
Houston - we have contact!  All systems go!

The bird is in the air!

I think it was: "Houston, we have a problem"...
2015-4-5
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-6 11:12
I think it was: "Houston, we have a problem"...

We do?  Oh, sh*t!  Who forgot to close the hatch?
2015-4-5
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

I'm going to bed. Nice chuckling with you. Have a great evening!

Jerry
2015-4-5
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Very good inspirational post Nrg. Seems like us older folks are attracted to these high tech devices. I really enjoy mine. I have been thinking about different places to fly to get some interesting video and have come up with some ideas. It has inspired me as well. It's encouraging me to get out of the house more often.....see the world!
2015-4-6
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-6 23:05
Very good inspirational post Nrg. Seems like us older folks are attracted to these high tech devices ...

Well I have driven almost every road within 100 miles of me over the last 35 years with my camera.  I have a lot of locations I am going to visit when the weather gets better or it is the right season (as in autumn).

There are a lot of mountains around me in those hundred miles.  A lot of gorges, waterfalls, bridges, covered bridges, beautiful valleys for sunset/sunrise over the ridges.  And just a bit farther and I have the coast which is a favorite spot in the summer.

Me and dozbot are going places!
2015-4-6
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'm going to put some of my hints (well, really just my experiences) into an article soon...I'll be sure to link it when I do.

Video is less about settings and more about perspective. Just as with still photos, you have to "think different" about what angles and lighting may look decent, but you then have to add the other dimension - that is, the capabilities of your quad to do crazy things...

Very few quad pilots are going to do post processing on video. So, in general, what you see is what you get. Even plain editing can take hours - to put together a video of a few minutes. You have to look though (and sometimes log) all the footage, make decisions, titles, transitions, sound and then exporting and uploading.

We are all spoiled (programmed) by commercials, trailers and fast moving scenes....that is, the best videos are going to be those which move quickly. You may have 2 minutes of a particular scene, but 10-15 seconds will probably tell that part of the story and allow you to move onto the next scenes. Videos of 1-4 minutes are probably best in terms of actually entertaining a general audience.

nrg - all of those places are in your memory banks so you can start thinking about the perspectives that people never get to see - but that your quad will allow you to capture. That's the magic, IMHO.

For example, we have a set of waterfalls near us that cannot be seen by a visitor except in numerous parts. You have to walk up and down the falls or paths next to them because of the length and it being hidden in the woods. I took one of my first quadcopters out there and captured this - this is a $150 setup (toy quad with mobius).

I'm not saying that video is great - but if I go back with a Phantom and do something similar the perspective could be cool - I could add in some aerials from way up. This will then provide a finished product that no one in history has ever seen - a unique take!

Thinking out loud there are a number of little moves which might be able to be listed out which would give pilots ideas in terms of camera moves which hold the viewers attention.

Examples:
1. Starting close to the subject and zooming out looks better to my eyes than zooming in.
2. Pans should usually be very slow
3. Liftoff moves are a nice part of the story - that is, the quad lifting off from our normal perspective and then rising above the tree line

There are probably a lot of similar techniques which might improve videos.

The real pros do a LOT of post processing - but it's hard for me to imagine most pilots spending hours in FCP dealing with matching clips in terms of colors, etc...as with all the other stuff, it depends on what the end use is. If you are going to get thousands upon thousands of views, it provides more impetus to hone the final product. But if it's "hey, here's a video from today", then it's here today, gone (or not watched much) tomorrow.
2015-4-6
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-4-7 08:38
I'm going to put some of my hints (well, really just my experiences) into an article soon...I'll be  ...

I see your point.  All I can say is this:  I love the things I do and want to do the best I can at them.  It doesn't mean my end product will be good by others standards, but if I publish it I am at least happy with my efforts to that point of my ability.  I am used to post-processing as I have been doing it for years and when I am comfortable with the software I am using, will publish my results. I am not proud, so to speak, that everything I do has to be perfect.  It just has to be true to my abilities.  That is both what I represent in the flight itself as well as the video representation of such.

I just want to have fun most of all.  If I can capture and post a video that others appreciate, that is good enough for me.

All I am is me.  No more, no less.
2015-4-6
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-7 09:17
I see your point.  All I can say is this:  I love the things I do and want to do the best I can at ...

That ain't your avatar speaking....
2015-4-6
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'm definitely not a perfectionist - jack of all trades and master of none.
Back when I made my first video (hired a company but I wrote the script and acted), it was about $1000 per minute for low-end pro (commercial/industrial) video. A lot of editing was required...I guess! Ours was a sales video and it cost about 10K back in 1990.

These days you could shoot a much better video quality with a camera phone  and edit it with free and cheap programs.  But the part that can't be replaced easily is the script and the story.  

That's the key - as you say - making something that others will appreciate. Showing them a unique perspective on the world and a place they've never seen. If no one looks at my stuff I lose my incentive....

2015-4-7
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

There is drone training on shooting video on CreativelLive as well as Kelbyone.  Also look up Aaron Grimes
2015-4-7
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-7 09:26
That ain't your avatar speaking....

I heard a voice the other night while trying to sleep...do you think it was my avatar?  I haven't slept well since.  Either it was my avatar or my not soon enough to be ex wife.  All I know is I need a good night of sleep and a good day for flying to get this all out of my system.  I mean a four battery morning and four battery afternoon day of flying.  Where is that Itelite anyway?  I need to test something!  
2015-4-7
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

I feel you Brother. 'nough said...

Jerry
2015-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now