ND filters
1448 13 2017-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jinlarse
New
Flight distance : 25545 ft
Norway

Hi, I have DJI ND filters, but I think they are not so clear. I use on my photo equipment BW filters and they are much more clear, I think. What filters would you recommend for Mavic pro for use in strong sunlight? Someone have experiences with NiSi filters?

2017-9-19
Use props
Mountaindrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>
France

Polar Pro, ND32 and 64
http://amzn.to/2eJV3wO
2017-9-20
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237733 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

I also bought DJI ND filters but rarely use it.
They are not coated and will spoil the picture unless you camera is positioned at the same direction as the light source.
If you try to shoot at any other angle with filters you will see "ray" artefacts
2017-9-20
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PM'd Oliver from Polar Pro to send you some info. Hopefully he will get back to you.
2017-9-20
Use props
jinlarse
New
Flight distance : 25545 ft
Norway

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-9-20 01:07
PM'd Oliver from Polar Pro to send you some info. Hopefully he will get back to you.

Thanks a lot!
2017-9-20
Use props
PolarProSupport
lvl.2

United States

Hi jinlarse,

I work at PolarPro and would be happy to provide some suggestions.  In strong sunlight, the Mavic tends to benefit most from either an ND16 (4-stop) or an ND32 (5-stop) filter, depending on the environment and the user's preferences.  If glare or lens flaring is a problem you encounter often during shoots, then picking up at least one polarizing filter would also come in handy.  Ensuring the filters are coated to be anti-reflective will also help, so that you don't get the rays and other artifacting utkin mentioned.

When it comes to our filters specifically, we usually see folks start with either the Shutter or Vivid Collection for the Mavic, depending on their needs.  The Shutter Collection offers ND-only filters, while the Vivid Collection offers hybrid ND filters that are also circular polarizers (these show ND-PL on the sides).

Hopefully this information helps!  Please feel free to reach out if you would like any additional information.

- Oliver from PolarPro
2017-9-20
Use props
tkhour3
lvl.2
United States

PolarProSupport Posted at 2017-9-20 12:37
Hi jinlarse,

I work at PolarPro and would be happy to provide some suggestions.  In strong sunlight, the Mavic tends to benefit most from either an ND16 (4-stop) or an ND32 (5-stop) filter, depending on the environment and the user's preferences.  If glare or lens flaring is a problem you encounter often during shoots, then picking up at least one polarizing filter would also come in handy.  Ensuring the filters are coated to be anti-reflective will also help, so that you don't get the rays and other artifacting utkin mentioned.

I have the ND4,ND8 and ND16. Thoughts on 4 and 8? When best time to use them? Also Im confused as to ensuring the filters are coated? I just slap them on and fly away. Thanks
2017-9-20
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ND4 & ND8 are generally used early morning sunrise and early evening sunset. Used ND8 on my misty morning shots posted on here the other day.
2017-9-21
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

RE: ND filters

tkhour3 Posted at 2017-9-20 17:50
I have the ND4,ND8 and ND16. Thoughts on 4 and 8? When best time to use them? Also Im confused as to ensuring the filters are coated? I just slap them on and fly away. Thanks

I use nd-8 early morning, late afternoon, cloud days. I use nd -16 on partly to sunny days. Never found much use for nd-4.
2017-9-21
Use props
PolarProSupport
lvl.2

United States

tkhour3 Posted at 2017-9-20 17:50

As CoreyB10 mentioned, sunrise and sunset are great times to use those filters.  The ND8 also tends to come in handy on cloudy/overcast days when there is less available light.

Regarding the coating, this is part of the manufacturing process rather than something that you need to do to the filters.  Apologies for any confusion about that.  Some filters on the market (including ours) offer anti-reflective coatings on the glass as a feature, and others do not.  This can make a difference in image quality, which is why I mentioned it - it's a good thing to look for when deciding on a filter purchase.

- Oliver from PolarPro
2017-9-21
Use props
tkhour3
lvl.2
United States

PolarProSupport Posted at 2017-9-21 15:06
As CoreyB10 mentioned, sunrise and sunset are great times to use those filters.  The ND8 also tends to come in handy on cloudy/overcast days when there is less available light.

Regarding the coating, this is part of the manufacturing process rather than something that you need to do to the filters.  Apologies for any confusion about that.  Some filters on the market (including ours) offer anti-reflective coatings on the glass as a feature, and others do not.  This can make a difference in image quality, which is why I mentioned it - it's a good thing to look for when deciding on a filter purchase.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Helpful
2017-9-21
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

I always use ND8.
2017-9-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Why are you using only the ND8?
Normally you have to adjust according to the amount of light that is available to keep the shutterspeed at the 'best' setting .
Or are you only flying in the same light conditions?
2017-9-29
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Dear Montfrooij,
I always use the ND8 because here in Brazil we have sunny days, with such a similar conditions, and it fits better, than 16 or 32.
Cheers.
2017-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules