Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 2017-9-23 01:48
It's all academic , no need to talk about OTG again on the forum, given the limits (50m height and 100m range) set by the latest version of the app, it is no longer viable with the Spark

they really did that?  dji is really stupid if they enforced a limit you cannot change.., i wont be buying another spark if i can't use OTG, and i was actually considering it...  wifi is not superior to OTG, OTG offers lower latency, specially on weaker devices that have slower transcoding..adding delay from wifi to the delay in transcoding = no thanks..

as someone who owned a spark and tested out wifi and OTG a lot.. i dont care if dji claims that wifi is superior in every way, i stick with what works for me..

2017-9-23
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

It is first of all a pity that such a debate emerges because just two users pretend to have this limitation caused by the OTG cable without providing any evidence. Once the first experienced user of this forum will confirm I'll believe it. And I shall test it again myself today and inform about the result here. I am using OTG by default and have never had any limitation of the alledged kind, that is all I can say.
2017-9-23
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-23 03:46
It is first of all a pity that such a debate emerges because just two users pretend to have this limitation caused by the OTG cable without providing any evidence. Once the first experienced user of this forum will confirm I'll believe it. And I shall test it again myself today and inform about the result here. I am using OTG by default and have never had any limitation of the alledged kind, that is all I can say.

I've haven't flight tested the limitation, but in OTG mode every time I change the flight parameters (distance and flight) it defaults back into 50 and 100m, when I change to wireless there is no restriction to them.

This is with IOS DJI Go4 app 4.1.10, AC Firmware 01.00.0600
2017-9-23
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Yes it's certainly not viable anymore.
Next problem . Neither is alternative.
Full day's testing shows regardless of height, weak transmission signal and very laggy  picture occurs from 10 metres away and unuseable from there on. DJI owe me(us) an  explanation but I have no hope this will be produced.
2017-9-23
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Ok, I had promised to do a test flight today and here we go with the full screen recording. It was with Android DJI GO 4.1.9 which I believe to be at the same level as iOS 4.1.10. The latest Android version 4.1.10 is not availble here in Playstore yet and the one from APK Mirror did not install on my tablet. The settings that you see in the screen recording remain stable (and do not return to 50/100 when OTG is plugged in) and were also not changed when I updated the App. From what is reported above I can only conclude that the problem might be with the iOS verson but not with Android.
And here comes the screen recording. It's in full lengh of the flight but you can of course hop through to see the altitude (100 meter is the legal limit here) and distance values:

2017-9-23
Use props
VinceC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6010 ft
United States

Can the Mavic RC cable,which is used to connect the Mavic Remote to a mobile device, be used for the Spark to connect a mobile device to the remote?  They both have the same Micro USB on the remote.
2017-9-23
Use props
VinceC
lvl.1
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-20 09:35
I am also glad although I never had "unfriended" you . Also no reason to get confused. What we see on the screenshot is a function that Mavic has. And even for Mavic it is probably only availabe when a RC is used (you really don't want to fly Atti without RC from all I have heard about it). Thus to make sure that these functions are only available in combination with a RC, DJI has linked them to the use of an OTG cable, which is supported for Mavic. This is my explanation/conclusion after thinking about it.
We all know that OTG works well for Spark too (I use it since day one), but this is not yet officially supported by DJI. It is my sincere hope that this will change soon.

Can the Mavic RC cable,which is used to connect the Mavic Remote to a mobile device, be used for the Spark to connect a mobile device to the remote?  They both have the same Micro USB on the remote.
2017-9-23
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Yes you can, but what's the point with such limited range locked in?
2017-9-23
Use props
VinceC
lvl.1
United States

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-9-23 10:17

So using the RC cable from the Mavic will limit the range for the Spark?  To what limits ?
2017-9-23
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-9-23 10:17

Have you tested it, do you have limits? It helps to mention on which operating system you are. So far and as described above, I don't have these limits on Android. And therefore I still won't believe that these "limits" were intentionally introduced by DJI until they confirm this here.
2017-9-23
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-23 10:58
Have you tested it, do you have limits? It helps to mention on which operating system you are. So far and as described above, I don't have these limits on Android. And therefore I still won't believe that these "limits" were intentionally introduced by DJI until they confirm this here.

It is obviously an IOS limitation following the IOS11 update. Just because you use android does not give you the right to come on here and undermine other users experience. YES - there is a clear limitation using an iPhone/iPad with an OTG now and many people across the forums have acknowledged the same. As for experience, you'll see in my profile that the Spark is my fourth DJI drone having been flying these quads with great success for over 2 years - I see you only own the Spark... I think that says everything!
2017-9-23
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

ACW Posted at 2017-9-23 11:53
It is obviously an IOS limitation following the IOS11 update. Just because you use android does not give you the right to come on here and undermine other users experience. YES - there is a clear limitation using an iPhone/iPad with an OTG now and many people across the forums have acknowledged the same. As for experience, you'll see in my profile that the Spark is my fourth DJI drone having been flying these quads with great success for over 2 years - I see you only own the Spark... I think that says everything!

I am so sorry, but it is certainly not my intention to undermine anyone's "user experience". The only thing I did and continue to do as honest as I can, is to share my own experiences. Nothing else than that. But reading the consistent tone of your messages "says everything" indeed! Thus please simply ignore my messages and let me continue to fly my Spark very happily as it does.
2017-9-23
Use props
VinceC
lvl.1
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-23 09:47
Ok, I had promised to do a test flight today and here we go with the full screen recording. It was with Android DJI GO 4.1.9 which I believe to be at the same level as iOS 4.1.10. The latest Android version 4.1.10 is not availble here in Playstore yet and the one from APK Mirror did not install on my tablet. The settings that you see in the screen recording remain stable (and do not return to 50/100 when OTG is plugged in) and were also not changed when I updated the App. From what is reported above I can only conclude that the problem might be with the iOS verson but not with Android.
And here comes the screen recording. It's in full lengh of the flight but you can of course hop through to see the altitude (100 meter is the legal limit here) and distance values:

So that looked like a perfect flight beyond the limits with Android.
my question is f I use the Mavic RC cable, would the be the same as using the OTG cable and using a phone USB connected between the phone and OTG cable?

Thanks for your Test Flight....
2017-9-23
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-23 12:06
I am so sorry, but it is certainly not my intention to undermine anyone's "user experience". The only thing I did and continue to do as honest as I can, is to share my own experiences. Nothing else than that. But reading the consistent tone of your messages "says everything" indeed! Thus please simply ignore my messages and let me continue to fly my Spark very happily as it does.

Thats more than fine with me - be sure to NEVER reply to one of my messages to another user on here again... I found your unprovoked and highly dismissive response to my post to be both arrogant and very condescending - neither of which are 'qualities' I appreciate. This is a forum for people to learn from each other - not to be undermined and discredited. Thank you!
2017-9-23
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ACW Posted at 2017-9-23 11:53

ACW, on behave of Watchtberger, I don't think he intended any offense with his comments.  As he already stated, many of us do share our experiences and also convey the equipment we use.  Though I don't fly with IOS, I've learned a lot already from these forums about the IOS experience and I've been able to provide assistance to IOS users.  Hopefully we will learn from your experiences as well.
2017-9-23
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

VinceC Posted at 2017-9-23 12:12
So that looked like a perfect flight beyond the limits with Android.
my question is f I use the Mavic RC cable, would the be the same as using the OTG cable and using a phone USB connected between the phone and OTG cable?

Thank you. I do not know the Mavic RC cable, but if it is the original one delivered by DJI I would assume so. Users who have both Mavic and Spark should better confirm this. Right now I am using the original DJI OTG adapter (for Goggles) combined with a normal USB cable and it works well. I have ordered but not yet received a special one piece third party OTG cable availble on the market from which I know from other users that it works very well too.
2017-9-23
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-23 12:19
ACW, on behave of Watchtberger, I don't think he intended any offense with his comments.  As he already stated, many of us do share our experiences and also convey the equipment we use.  Though I don't fly with IOS, I've learned a lot already from these forums about the IOS experience and I've been able to provide assistance to IOS users.  Hopefully we will learn from your experiences as well.

This was on another post whereby when I advised another user that there are recent range limitations to using an OTG adaptor then this fella came on and replied that I am "absolutely wrong" and "how funny it is what some people write on here" whilst making references to awaiting feedback from only experts with experience to prove it. Many have commented on this limitation so his comments were totally unfounded and unprovoked. It's only when several others came out of the woodwork to say the same limitations as me that he then felt compelled to do a test to prove us all wrong with more condescending remarks. I do not appreciate this mans attitude and will not hesitate to report it to DJI and have him removed from this forum if it happens again.
2017-9-23
Use props
VinceC
lvl.1
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-23 12:19
Thank you. I do not know the Mavic RC cable, but if it is the original one delivered by DJI I would assume so. Users who have both Mavic and Spark should better confirm this. Right now I am using the original DJI OTG adapter (for Goggles) combined with a normal USB cable and it works well. I have ordered but not yet received a special one piece third party OTG cable availble on the market from which I know from other users that it works very well too.

Why risk a 3rd party cable..  I know that the Mavic uses their RC Cable which is a double micro usb and it has right angle connectors and it fits into the remote.  see link below... can buy direct from DJI for $8-19 depending on whether you need standard micro usb connectors, reverse micro usb connectors, lightening connector, type-c connector.

Mavic RC Cable

medium_65d9b67f-3e00-4198-9869-d36ca8dbd3de.jpg
medium_d1edfc8a-04f3-42c0-91e1-abfb4f326c02.jpg
2017-9-23
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

I am using a tablet and therefore the original Mavic cable is too short for me.
2017-9-23
Use props
Legacy0ne
lvl.2

Australia

VinceC Posted at 2017-9-23 13:35
Why risk a 3rd party cable..  I know that the Mavic uses their RC Cable which is a double micro usb and it has right angle connectors and it fits into the remote.  see link below... can buy direct from DJI for $8-19 depending on whether you need standard micro usb connectors, reverse micro usb connectors, lightening connector, type-c connector.

Mavic RC Cable

Most likely comes out of the same factory as all the other $1 cables. I cant tell the difference between a DJI supplied one, or an eBay cheapie, my controller or phone doesn't know any different either.    
2017-9-23
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ACW Posted at 2017-9-23 12:29
This was on another post whereby when I advised another user that there are recent range limitations to using an OTG adaptor then this fella came on and replied that I am "absolutely wrong" and "how funny it is what some people write on here" whilst making references to awaiting feedback from only experts with experience to prove it. Many have commented on this limitation so his comments were totally unfounded and unprovoked. It's only when several others came out of the woodwork to say the same limitations as me that he then felt compelled to do a test to prove us all wrong with more condescending remarks. I do not appreciate this mans attitude and will not hesitate to report it to DJI and have him removed from this forum if it happens again.

I've read his post again, and the "voice in my head" that I'm hearing when I read his response is conveying something different than what you are reading.  I don't think he intended or conveyed any disrespect, and I sense that you feel differently.  And that's ok (we are all unique).

And (me) getting back to the topic:  This is behavior that the android users have not experienced.  The IOS users are on a more advanced version of the app (at least by version number).  I hope that DJI is not imposing an intended and purposeful "OTG" flight limit in the app.  This would defeat the primary reason to use OTG (for more stable communication when in flight).  My observations are that there is a higher likelihood of a fly-away if one risks "ATTI" mode simultaneously with a spark to RC communication failure.  I tested 5.4Ghz (non-otg, on android) last week, compared to an OTG flight.  The non-OTG fight was pitiful.  I had two communication breaks in excess of 10 seconds each.

EDIT:  And to note...  today I tested a non-otg 2.4Ghz flight, and it went really well.  I think I prefer OTG, but in fairness I wanted to report to all that in my tests, I've had a very positive flight when using the 2.4Ghz frequency.

2017-9-23
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I'm losing the plot.
Yesterday  connecting by otg (android) forced distance to 100m and alt to 50, and greyed out the box.
Used wifi today instead and despaired since  range less than 20 metres before video scrambled.
After reading above tried otg again  and range and distance adjustable again with blue digits, but with warning I might be contravening FAA regs.
I'm in the UK.
Also mode switch now functions but not sure of effect.
It's different every time.
2017-9-23
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-20 09:56
This is an entirely hypothetical answer, only DJI can answer this question officially.

My opinion is that the combination of SPARK, RC and GOGGLES consists entirely of DJI hardware.  There is no "uncontrolled" component in this configuration.

DJI has addressed it in other forums. It is because it isnt, and they will never be, MFi certified for Apple.
2017-9-23
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16502930 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am using OTG with the Samsung Tablet and just flew Spark out to 5,599 ft at 221 ft altitude.  No limits that I can see other than 400 Feet Altitude.
2017-9-23
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

JCStorbeck Posted at 2017-9-23 20:17
I am using OTG with the Samsung Tablet and just flew Spark out to 5,599 ft at 221 ft altitude.  No limits that I can see other than 400 Feet Altitude.

It appears the limits are only with the latest IOS version of the app, don't upgrade the android when it comes out just it case changes have been made there as well
2017-9-23
Use props
Jojo10
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69633 ft
Germany

Hello

Until now I used OTG on 95% of my flights with android S7. Works perfect. Because I forgot the cables yesterday I had to use WIFI connection. It was unusable. The video signal dropped all the time. In two flights with WIFI it dropped more than in all other 80 flights before with OTG together. So of  DJI limit any function when using OTG, I will sell it because it's useless than.

2017-9-23
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

That's what I'm finding now, but it seems inconsistent still.
Not sure what to expect now.
2017-9-23
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Germany

fans61699a75 Posted at 2017-9-20 02:00
Check your height, distance and rth height.
But apparently it resets to 50m,100m and rth 50 m when using otg

Not on my android device.
Is that a iOS thing?
2017-9-23
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

If anyone's still reading this thread, I offer my last anaysis of the haywire situation.
Using my android tablet at home, video lag is 10 sec or more and scrambled.
But on the field yesterday better, by not adequate.
As described above, phone dropping out out from 10 metres.
Now is this a result of wifi noise? I gather it can't channel hop, and flying at my club probably had 4-6 cellphones nearby presumably scanning for wifi all the time.
It can't be distance, because the 2.4 is only used for rc to device which is inches away. At home 10 or more routers from neighbours generating plenty of noise.
Any thoughts?
2017-9-23
Use props
LX2000
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37477 ft
Netherlands

Updated the DJI Go App yesterday, now I am also facing the same distance and altitude limits when using OTG :-( Before the update, the limits were the same for WiFi and OTG.
2017-9-24
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

It's not consistent. I seem to be able to set limits on otg again now. Probably change by lunchtime.
2017-9-24
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-9-24 02:19
It's not consistent. I seem to be able to set limits on otg again now. Probably change by lunchtime.

I'm finding in IOS you can change the parameters, but once you leave and come back in to the menu it resets it to 50m an 100m
2017-9-24
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Well it might not be supported but I'm forced to use  otg or not fly. It's fine , better than it was in fact, till it isn't.
I simply can't afford to go through a large selection of devices in the hope one might work.

2017-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules