Improved image quality or overexposed?
4315 23 2017-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lay
lvl.3
Flight distance : 185449 ft
Finland

Anyone else noticed that since firmware version v01.03.1000 and with so called "improved image quality" the camera tends to overexpose all the time?

Is there going to be a fix for this?

I have to use EV at -0.7 or -1.0 to get a proper exposure. RAW images are not that flexible in Mavic to correct the overexposure in Post-processing.
2017-9-20
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Can't say I noticed this, but I'm mostly using manual exposure and referencing the histogram to set my exposure levels.
2017-9-20
Use props
Asainz320
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

I did notice yesterday that the Mavic was overexposing the shots a bit, but I was using the exposure picker instead of the focus to adjust for proper exposure.
2017-9-20
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

^^^ yeah I do like that exposure picker feature. I've found that to be very helpful to sort out those overexposed shots.
2017-9-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Please try to reset the camera settings. I had yet heard this case, so please let me know if the case persists, it would be greatly appreciated if some original pictures which were shot in AF mode from SD card can be uploaded to Dropbox and provided the link to us so we could help to have a check. Thanks.
2017-9-20
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-20 22:39
Please try to reset the camera settings. I had yet heard this case, so please let me know if the case persists, it would be greatly appreciated if some original pictures which were shot in AF mode from SD card can be uploaded to Dropbox and provided the link to us so we could help to have a check. Thanks.

I sent Dropbox link to some original pictures and videos with PM.

I did not have overexposure issues with the original Mavic but then again there is some YouTube videos and writings about overexposure issue with at least firmware v01.03.1000 that I did not have with my original Mavic.

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... ed-it.24589/page-21
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Lay Posted at 2017-9-21 06:22
I sent Dropbox link to some original pictures and videos with PM.

I did not have overexposure issues with the original Mavic but then again there is some YouTube videos and writings about overexposure issue with at least firmware v01.03.1000 that I did not have with my original Mavic.

I received that, will forward to the engineers. And we have v01.04.0000 for the latest update. You can also try this version.
2017-9-21
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-21 23:34
I received that, will forward to the engineers. And we have v01.04.0000 for the latest update. You can also try this version.

DJI_0006.JPG, DJI_0009.JPG, DJI_0011.JPG and DJI_0015.JPG are taken with firmware version v01.03.1000

Rest of them should be after v01.04.0000  update
2017-9-22
Use props
DJI_camera
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

Thanks for your feedback. In every high dynamic range scene, you'll find something over-exposed. Judging whether a photo is over-exposed is a complex issue. Do you judge on RAW or JPEG? Some people like the photo to look bright, but some others prefer very dark ones.

From the release we've been listening to users' feedback and fine-tuning the tone profile of our camera. In v01.03.1000 firmware we changed the default look of the camera to be a brighter one but nothing is lost in the RAW compared with the old firmware. You can still get back the highlights that seem as if over-exposed.

We also understand that our customers have their own sense of  aesthetics and we now offer the choice. If you prefer the old look, you may try the "Vivid" color profile to achieve a darker and flat tone. (This requires the latest DJI GO 4 app.)
2017-9-27
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

DJI_camera Posted at 2017-9-27 03:40
Thanks for your feedback. In every high dynamic range scene, you'll find something over-exposed. Judging whether a photo is over-exposed is a complex issue. Do you judge on RAW or JPEG? Some people like the photo to look bright, but some others prefer very dark ones.

From the release we've been listening to users' feedback and fine-tuning the tone profile of our camera. In v01.03.1000 firmware we changed the default look of the camera to be a brighter one but nothing is lost in the RAW compared with the old firmware. You can still get back the highlights that seem as if over-exposed.

Thank you for the reply and clarification. I really appreciate this.  I shoot RAW and I have been pulling the hilights back in lightroom since I got the Mavic. Sometimes with success and sometimes not. I allso shoot with Canon 5D IV and I understand the limits of the small sensor.

It might be that I judge the situation worse after v01.03.1000 firmware based on the JPEG previews from the phone.

I admit that I'm usually a bit allergic to to find anythin overexposed in the picture besides sun and parts of the sky. I will have to try the Vivid color profile. Thank you for the tip.
2017-9-27
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Hey DJI_Camera,

A point of curiosity and clarification: when you say gamma was adjusted for the default look, was this adusted on just the Normal color mode, or was the change applied globally to all color modes?

Thanks!

2017-9-27
Use props
Worth it or Not
New
United States

Here is my latest video showing the overexposure issue with the latest firmware on the Mavic.  I also did a side by side comparison of the Mavic vs the Phantom 3 standard with the same AWB and color mode of "Normal" on my YouTube channel Worth it or Not?
For some reason it wont let me post or attach the video here.
2017-9-27
Use props
Worth it or Not
New
United States

Worth it or Not Posted at 2017-9-27 18:55
Here is my latest video showing the overexposure issue with the latest firmware on the Mavic.  I also did a side by side comparison of the Mavic vs the Phantom 3 standard with the same AWB and color mode of "Normal" on my YouTube channel Worth it or Not?
For some reason it wont let me post or attach the video here.

2017-9-27
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

Nice video and comparison. Have you tried the Vivid color profile with the latest DJI GO 4 app? I will try it as soon as this foggy and rainy weather stops.

Soon it will be winter and 24/7 dark here in north Finland... then I will not have to worry about overexposure issues for a long time. Problem fixed
2017-9-27
Use props
Worth it or Not
New
United States

Lay Posted at 2017-9-27 22:42
Nice video and comparison. Have you tried the Vivid color profile with the latest DJI GO 4 app? I will try it as soon as this foggy and rainy weather stops.

Soon it will be winter and 24/7 dark here in north Finland... then I will not have to worry about overexposure issues for a long time. Problem fixed

I did try "vivid" the other morning for Sunrise with the DJI GO4 app, and while it looked good with vivid colors on a sunny day I would have to do a lot of post color correction.  I just hope that they maybe add "normal" back to normal and add another profile for "bright" for those that like bright/overexposed images.  I thought that comparing it to the Phantom 3 was a real world showing of the difference where the Phantom "normal" can be used straight out of the camera.   24/7 dark ? wow, maybe the brightness will definitely be useful to you haha
2017-9-28
Use props
fansf01c745c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 487759 ft
Singapore

I had the same issue. When can dji resolved the issue
2017-11-3
Use props
fansf01c745c
lvl.2
Singapore

I had the same issue. When can dji resolved the issue.The attached video foe information. Before I updated the later firmware the video not over exposure
thumb_a106230470cc1e04_1509498320000.jpg
thumb_0117e03ce66c6fcf_1509498251000.jpg
2017-11-3
Use props
bmbk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5085 ft
Malaysia

the update messed up my setting. I just wondering did they really test it. You better fire who did this changes to the firmware. My video quality is totally crap after the update. I am going back to older firmware.

before firmware.png
after firmware.png
2017-11-4
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Are you by chance using D-Log for video when you get the overexposure?
2017-11-4
Use props
DJEyeintheSky
lvl.1
New Zealand

With me, haven't really noticed it. Use an ND filter. those are really good.
2017-11-4
Use props
fansf01c745c
lvl.2
Singapore

Dji can give us the option to roll back to old firmware ( Before 22 Aug 17 firmware).
2017-11-4
Use props
fansf01c745c
lvl.2
Singapore

Dji can give us the option to roll back to old firmware ( Before 22 Aug 17 firmware).
2017-11-4
Use props
fansf01c745c
lvl.2
Singapore

CAN dJI give us option to roll back to V01.03.0900 firmware, this version the video and photo was good as well the exposure.
2017-11-5
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

ND filters have helped and seem even more important since last fware update
2017-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules