Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark Circle mode
3345 10 2017-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse1cd9cc8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6001 ft
United States

Ok first post and new Spark owner, I purchaed it for ease of use, Hobby fun as well as a Video and Photpgraphy tool for my Small Construction Business. I was flying the P3 before using POI to circle buildings and it worked fine. Spark does not have POI which is a bit of a bummer but I am wondering if anyone has suggestions as to how to use Cirlcle or other modes to get smooth video of a building. I am not a talented enough pilot to fly the AC and yaw it smoothly to keep the subject center focus. I can take simpler shiots, Pass bys pull backs but I always liked that orbit shot.

I appreciate constructive comments.

Thanks
B

2017-9-20
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I like the circle quickshot, and it's probably my most used shot.

I'm not certain if you are asking how to "technically" us a circle quickshot, or if you are asking about filming techniques for the highest quality shot.  Assuming you are asking about quality and not technical...

My personal opinion is that a circle of a stationary object is tedious and hard to watch unless one of three criteria is met:

1)  I have a pre-conceived interest in the object being circled.  Say I'm searching to purchase something (a boat, a house, etc).  Or say the video is intended to help me do an overview for damage.  Then the entire circle is of interest to me.
2)  There are dramatic changes of interest to see in changing the perspective around the object.  If the object is of a construction such that one angle of view is dramatically different from another angle of view, then the entire circle has interest.  Otherwise, the shot will get boring quickly.
3)  The purpose of the shot less about the object (building) and more about what's happening around that object.  In case it's other objects (what's around the building) that makes a lot of sense.  If it's about what people are doing around the object, that also makes sense.

Just circling something because the drone can isn't very compelling to me.  But circling something because it offers me something interesting that I otherwise couldn't get becomes the perfect use case.

P.S.  I'm not a professional photographer or videographer.  This was a hobby of mine that I immersed myself in some years ago.  Other hobbies have since grabbed my attention, and this drone has re-perked my interests in the photo and video hobby.
2017-9-20
Use props
fanse1cd9cc8
lvl.1
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-20 09:34
I like the circle quickshot, and it's probably my most used shot.

I'm not certain if you are asking how to "technically" us a circle quickshot, or if you are asking about filming techniques for the highest quality shot.  Assuming you are asking about quality and not technical...

Thanks for the feedback, I have been looking into other common shots for buildings/real estate. I would think the Dronie and Helix would be interesting shots as well.

I guess my main question is how well does spark recognize and lock on to an object or building vs a person. All examples I have seen videos of lock on to the operator and not an object.

Of course I intend to test this but I thought I would begin to educate myself here in the forum first. I am a newbie pilot with lots of learning to do.

B
2017-9-20
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

fanse1cd9cc8 Posted at 2017-9-20 10:37
Thanks for the feedback, I have been looking into other common shots for buildings/real estate. I would think the Dronie and Helix would be interesting shots as well.

I guess my main question is how well does spark recognize and lock on to an object or building vs a person. All examples I have seen videos of lock on to the operator and not an object.

And you have my greatest respect for your attitude.  When I started out, I recognized I was a beginner, I didn't think I would be "that guy" that had natural talent, and instead focused (as you have) on forum information and testing.

I believe that the ability to focus on the object is dependent on the contrast of the object to the background.  My boat on the water (for example), or a subject on a paddle board has a lot of contrast to the background (water).

I have no idea if the contrast will be sufficient if you are trying to track around a tall building amongst other tall buildings, but I speculate that it won't track very well.  Or a building that is of roughly the same color as the surrounding environment.

I have never tracked around an object where I wasn't able to select the object from within the app in it's entirety (surround the entire subject with the rectangle).  I envision a use case you may have where you want to circle around a tall building from it's side (a profile shot).  I have no idea how the spark would behave in these circumstances (where you draw a rectangle that doesn't bind the entire building from top to bottom).  That's an interesting use case, and I'd love to hear if it can be done.
2017-9-20
Use props
fanse1cd9cc8
lvl.1
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-20 10:47
And you have my greatest respect for your attitude.  When I started out, I recognized I was a beginner, I didn't think I would be "that guy" that had natural talent, and instead focused (as you have) on forum information and testing.

I believe that the ability to focus on the object is dependent on the contrast of the object to the background.  My boat on the water (for example), or a subject on a paddle board has a lot of contrast to the background (water).

Thank you again, and I appreciate the kind words. I will move forward with baby steps, testing different objects for ability to sense them and use the quick shots. I will post anything that I feel might be of use in the forum.

I will say the forum has put a healthy dose of fear into me. Not because I am not careful and follow all instructions but because I am getting the impression the Spark can go haywire at any moment of no fault of my own. This worries me greatly, I hope I am not one day posting on here about a fly away.

This fear is perhaps a good thing and will make me a better pilot, I launched yesterday in 15-20mph winds and I did not like the drift, landed and packed up waiting for another day to try to get that shot.
2017-9-21
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

The fear of the flyaway is ever present.
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

You can find the Spark tutorial video from here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-99957-1-1.html

Practice makes perfect. Looking forward more great works from you.
2017-9-24
Use props
DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-24 20:08
You can find the Spark tutorial video from here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-99957-1-1.html.

Practice makes perfect. Looking forward more great works from you.

That link doesn't go anywhere. Is there a more current link?
2018-5-3
Use props
Blellow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think of the spark as more of a selfie drone with exceptional talent.  Bicycles, cars, and people are perfect for it.  Anything else takes more effort than a professional drone.
2018-5-3
Use props
Greg Glasson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284843 ft
Australia

Just remembered I used helix mode to take this shot of a building....   
2018-5-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

jhog72@outlook. Posted at 2018-5-3 15:03
That link doesn't go anywhere. Is there a more current link?

Sorry, please check this later: https://forum.dji.com/thread-99957-1-1.html
2018-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules