Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
15 min per battery...
12Next >
4350 40 2017-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chrissy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 539833 ft
Switzerland

Hello,

For some reason, I can fly maximum 15 min with one battery. I own 3 of them and it's the case with all the 3. They were new when I bought them, and my first flights were about 20-22min. Now it's clearly 15 min max.

- I flew about 5h with each.
- I leave them uncharged from a flight to another (just charge them when I need to fly).
- I protect them with a plastic on the sensor and they are in their battery bags.
- I've discharged the batteries fully once.
- I don't fly sports mode, I fly gently.
- I use propeller guards and landing gears.

I take well care of them.

What could be the problem? It's a bit frustrating to have 3 batteries worth 45min max of flight time (yeah I love to fly).

Thank you for your help dear mavic fans!

2017-9-20
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Huh, how many flights do you have under your belt? I'm at 166 and I'm routinely getting 20 min flights -- I do pretty religiously return home when I get the first low battery warning.

I recharge when I get home, and then recharge again before going out; typically flying on weekends. 36 hours of flight time, total, and I almost always fly all three batteries-worth when I'm out.

2017-9-20
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Consider all the extra weight that you have added to your Mavic: propeller guards and landing gear.
This weight doesn't fly for free and eats battery power.
Look no further...
2017-9-20
Use props
Mari
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

... I supose it is better to recharge them after flight and let the smart part of the battery discharge it instead of waiting to charge them just before flight... I'm also at 5Hrs of flying each battery, still getting at least 20 minutes of flying...
2017-9-20
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

When they are fullt loaded how much Mah do you have?
2017-9-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Recharge to at least 50% when storing batteries.
Don't store them empty
2017-9-20
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

It's my impression that you are flying a Mavic Pro. If that is so, please review the following information about battery safety: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... tery+Safety+Guides+(EN).pdf
2017-9-20
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

2017-9-20
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-20 13:48
It's my impression that you are flying a Mavic Pro. If that is so, please review the following information about battery safety: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... tery+Safety+Guides+(EN).pdf

Bad link:

<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>9FA7EB7A15BF72CC</RequestId>
<HostId>
dN2Ij+56iObQxJzHUOBbNBSD6cNyDlEFPwdeKKyVhNK/5bcJwPaVSxitth9kP9jp6ZPUh9hsNA8=
</HostId>
</Error>
2017-9-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

The flight time sometimes might be affected by the flight environment and the usage of the sticks. You can try to fully discharge the battery then charge it to full.
We have a tutorial for the use and maintenance of battery for your reference:
2017-9-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry for the inconvenience, it is on our official web, you can also check it there if you need. http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads
2017-9-20
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

If you are leaving the batteries with a low charge then you will reduce the life of them. Preferably leave them at 50% but anything over 40% is ok if you are going to be flying them within a week.
2017-9-20
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I just checked my flight records and an average flight time is around 9 minutes with 2-3 above 20 If I disregard all short ones - normal flight time is around 15 m. !
So not so strange - if You fly for distance (with ~50km/h) flight time is around 15 m. In order to have higher times, You need to have it toned down to 25 km/h or so.
2017-9-20
Use props
Chrissy
lvl.2
Switzerland

Thank you guys for your answers, the informations and the links! I appreciate.

@ ex machina: I've 92 flights under my belt.
@marsan: ok! I ll check without that extra weight today!
@ Mari: ok tx! I had read that it's better to leave them uncharged than charger, that's why I was doing so...
@flybee: i will check tonight.
@montfrooji: ok i will!
@jenee2: thank you i will.

Finally, I dont fly with sport mode often. I gently fly around 20km/h.

2017-9-21
Use props
Deepfreeze
lvl.4
Canada

Flight time is reduced with propeller guards.
2017-9-21
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-9-20 11:06
Huh, how many flights do you have under your belt? I'm at 166 and I'm routinely getting 20 min flights -- I do pretty religiously return home when I get the first low battery warning.

I recharge when I get home, and then recharge again before going out; typically flying on weekends. 36 hours of flight time, total, and I almost always fly all three batteries-worth when I'm out.

Dear Ex Machina,

Despite of reading so many different ways to charge and discharge, I do the same as you; and I assume it is not the most common way to deal with batteries. But for me is the more correct.
And I have at least 20 min. each flight.
2017-9-21
Use props
Chrissy
lvl.2
Switzerland

So I ve 3508 mAH total capacity after 18 flights. Today I've tried without the propeller guard and without the landing gear: I could reach 18min when the 30% mark was reach. Already some improvement.
2017-9-21
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Try this link instead:
https://goo.gl/JNggfC
2017-9-21
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-9-20 15:26
http://www.vixenvarsity.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/scratching-head.gif[/img]

Wow, what happened to you?
You look discharged...
2017-9-21
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-21 13:40
Wow, what happened to you?
You look discharged...

I am.
2017-9-21
Use props
Chrissy
lvl.2
Switzerland

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-21 12:58
Try this link instead:
https://goo.gl/JNggfC

Thank you.
2017-9-21
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

How cold is it in Switzerland??
The lower temps will lower your flight duration.
Maybe try pocketing the batteries or warm them up in your car's heater prior to flight.
2017-9-21
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As a pointer, you should never discharge any Lipo battery fully as it can render them u/s. This is the same for any r/c whether it be a car, plane, race drone or DJI. It even gives me the same warning on the packet for my Airsoft rifle batteries. Just a pointer for all out there.
2017-9-21
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-9-20 11:06

You should only recharge right before flying.... storing LiPo  batteries fully charged is not healthy for them
2017-9-22
Use props
Wes1977
lvl.2
Flight distance : 363862 ft
United States

my longest flight is 18mins.  I land as soon as i get the warning.  I have no extras on my drone.
2017-9-22
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-9-22 02:48
You should only recharge right before flying.... storing LiPo  batteries fully charged is not healthy for them

Seems to be working fine for me so far.
2017-9-22
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-9-22 04:38

Yep, me too.
2017-9-22
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Don't mean to come off as flippant, it's just that I generally don't know when I'll have a chance to fly, so it seems easier to keep them charged and ready to go, and to rely on the "smartness' to discharge if for some reason I can't get out more than a couple times a week.
2017-9-22
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Brazil

It will reduce the lifespan of your batteries... take some time to watch this video
2017-9-22
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-9-22 09:05
It will reduce the lifespan of your batteries... take some time to watch this video https://youtu.be/Uzc45iaYGcY

Thanks, will take a look.
2017-9-22
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

You may want to refresh your firmware...
2017-9-22
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

It will reduce the lifespan of your batteries... take some time to watch this video https://youtu.be/Uzc45iaYGcY

Nicely done video, but I still wonder about how much Impact to a battery's life charging after use really has? Can't find any solid info on that -- most stuff I've read assumes no automated discharge cycle like we have in our intelligent batteries, and DJI's docs only warn against storing fully discharged, which I understand has a dramatic effect on battery life.

I would certainly discharge below 65% if I needed to store them long-term, that makes sense both for any longevity potential and for fire risk.
2017-9-22
Use props
Chrissy
lvl.2
Switzerland

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2017-9-21 21:07
How cold is it in Switzerland??
The lower temps will lower your flight duration.
Maybe try pocketing the batteries or warm them up in your car's heater prior to flight.

Around 20 Celius...it shouldn't affect the flight duration...
2017-9-22
Use props
Chrissy
lvl.2
Switzerland

It's the way I treat my battery since day 1! So that's why I was wondering about the flight time...
2017-9-22
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-9-22 07:11
Don't mean to come off as flippant, it's just that I generally don't know when I'll have a chance to fly, so it seems easier to keep them charged and ready to go, and to rely on the "smartness' to discharge if for some reason I can't get out more than a couple times a week.

I charge mine when immediately after flying for the same reason. I try to fly everyday, sometimes, because of how rainy it's been this year, I sneak a short flight in between showers. So far been lucky to get it down and inside just before the next one. I've not noticed any degradation of any of my 4 batteries doing this.
2017-9-22
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Brazil

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-9-22 14:12
I charge mine when immediately after flying for the same reason. I try to fly everyday, sometimes, because of how rainy it's been this year, I sneak a short flight in between showers. So far been lucky to get it down and inside just before the next one. I've not noticed any degradation of any of my 4 batteries doing this.

If you fly every day it's ok to recharge after flying ... but if you will store them for more than 7-10 days the best option is to leave them with 50% of charge.
2017-9-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-9-21 22:38
As a pointer, you should never discharge any Lipo battery fully as it can render them u/s. This is the same for any r/c whether it be a car, plane, race drone or DJI. It even gives me the same warning on the packet for my Airsoft rifle batteries. Just a pointer for all out there.

first of all you are comparing unprotected lithium batteries to dji smart batteries which have protection. unprotected batteries you shouldn't run down all the way as they can be damaged very easily, however dji batteries have protection.  

on battery #1 i own i have run it down intentionally to the point protection interrupts me..i was originally going to start doing that on battery #3 i own, but i started doing it on battery #1 by mistake, so whatever.  but im still working on notes..

i still have 3755mAh remaining which bounced around a little bit.  i had 2680,  3700, 3755 and 3800 on battery #1 no specific order either, just sort of random when it does change.  right now indicates 100% off charger and been sitting 12 hours, 3755 mAH which makes sense with the quiescent current flow of the circuit in the battery monitoring draws a very small amount,  probably would been 3800 off a fresh charge 12 hours to draw 5 milliamps makes sense.  and i manage without sport mode or anything, around 20 minutes on battery #1, battery #1 has most use on it, over 50 cycles..

2017-9-22
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Chrissy Posted at 2017-9-22 12:45
Around 20 Celius...it shouldn't affect the flight duration...

absolutely not, sounds like perfect temps.
2017-9-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

yes, more danger in leaving the battery at either extreme for extended period of time..  dont store them at 100% or 0%   the smart batteries should help you out if you do have them stored up for a while at max power, but that system has flaws sometimes it doesn't properly measure current power level when its popped into the aircraft, few cases where this has happened after extended storage period..indicates 4 LEDs and app shows 100% but in reality is its much weaker.. its uncommon and rare...but happens.

storing battery at 0% isn't that dangerous on a  protected battery pack, since usually protection cuts power before its true zero to give it a bit of a buffer..  but still far from ideal, at least let it have 30%, 50% is ideal people speak of, makes sense, but 30% is still a lot better then nothing

TL'DR dont store them at full capacity or empty capacity.. shoot for 30-50 % storage capacity.   people will say its bad to discharge a lithium battery to dead, they are correct but that mostly applies to unprotected li-pos.. protected li-pos should stop you physically before truly dead..but dont store them at that state for long, plug it in for atleast 10 minutes or something.   infact if you somehow manage to properly kill the cells in a dji pack, it should completely deny you anything... no charge or discharge... have to get the pack serviced/repaired..
2017-9-22
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Excellent vid.

Rick has a great channel and content; I subscribed some time ago.

2017-9-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules