DJI Offers Bug Bounty Up To $30,000
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hackers can receive up to $30,000 if they help DJI find flaws in the software for its drones. The Chinese company has unveiled a bug bounty program that's intended to improve the overall security of its products. With its DJI Threat Identification Reward, hackers can obtain payouts of $100 to $30,000.
The amount you receive depends on how significant the reported threat is.
Security researchers, academic scholars and independent experts often provide a valuable service by analyzing the code in DJI's apps and other software products and bringing concerns to public attention. DJI wants to learn from their experiences as we constantly strive to improve our products, and we are willing to pay rewards for the discoveries they make.- Walter Stockwell, DJI
Some of DJI's security has already been bypassed in recent months, with hackers successfully rooting its products to get around built-in speed, altitude, and location restrictions.

RedHotPoker

2017-9-20
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

My recent post was deleted for being "off topic".  Sorry about that.  I'm not sure how discussing hackers from India is off topic from your post that states "hackers can recieve $30,000".  Sigh... well, that shows how much I know about "hacking".  
2017-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-21 19:36
My recent post was deleted for being "off topic".  Sorry about that.  I'm not sure how discussing hackers from India is off topic from your post that states "hackers can recieve $30,000".  Sigh... well, that shows how much I know about "hacking".

There are folks who work in the security industry, and the criminal element.

Hopefully, DJI can hire some smart young hackers to find the loopholes and weak spots, so they can be patched, or filled in completely.

I think offering a handsome reward, is the smart way to go.

Recently, there have been major cyber attacks, that have crippled hostpitals, financial institutions. Yeah, even our Univerity of Alberta, here in the capital city, have had major attacks, that required a lot of diligence to repair.

For several weeks, I refused to turn on my home computer in fear of catching a bug, virus, Trojan horse, or other unwarranted attack.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-21
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-21 19:47
There are folks who work in the security industry, and the criminal element.

I'll pass it on to my brother in law in the Philippines.  He's an IT and works with some of the greatest banks and stores in the U.S.  Hmmm... Get my bro a job at DJI... I wonder if they have a friends and family discount?
Sorry, I spend so much time fighting off the bad hackers, I forget there is a "good" side of hacking too.  Thank you for clarifying that.  -This is why I leave software questions and fixes up to the pros.
2017-9-21
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Here is a thought...as I pull the pin...does getting rid of unwanted and unnecessary restrictions amount to a security issue related to hacking?  Yes I know if you are going to change parameters it would require hacking to some extent and it would void the warranty.  However, as the Cap noted there is good hacking and bad.  All matter of perspective...one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, just sayin.
2017-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-21 19:57
I'll pass it on to my brother in law in the Philippines.  He's an IT and works with some of the greatest banks and stores in the U.S.  Hmmm... Get my bro a job at DJI... I wonder if they have a friends and family discount?
Sorry, I spend so much time fighting off the bad hackers, I forget there is a "good" side of hacking too.  Thank you for clarifying that.  -This is why I leave software questions and fixes up to the pros.

Do you know who John McAfee is?  Surely you have heard of McAfee Internet Security.
He sold his company.  With little left of his $100M worth, John McAfee now lives in an apartment in Canada.
This guy was on the top of the world, now, not so much.... He took his windfall, and essentially blew it.
Now he's down to $4M and perhaps on the run. He was a respected business man, who became a wanted criminal. I won't go into details here, but you can look it up, easy enough.

Cyber terrorist and pirates, could take over the planet, without security like he provided to us.
I have used McAfee security on my home hp desktop for several years , perhaps a decade. And still feel nervous, when on the web.

If a hacker can get into a hostpitals system or telecommunications system, not to mention Equifax,  imagine how easy they could hack this website or the drone firmware downloads area, and give us all a major headache...

Keep your computer security up to date.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-21 20:24
Here is a thought...as I pull the pin...does getting rid of unwanted and unnecessary restrictions amount to a security issue related to hacking?  Yes I know if you are going to change parameters it would require hacking to some extent and it would void the warranty.  However, as the Cap noted there is good hacking and bad.  All matter of perspective...one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, just sayin.

I would much rather stand on the side of the good freedom fighter, than on the terrorists, who only want to inflict misery and pain.

Wouldn't it be great if these evil hackers would implode?

RedHotPoker
2017-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Coincidently ABC's Nightline are discussing hacking tonight.  
More than 103,000,000 people are at risk after the Equifax hack last week.

Thankfully, my firewall is fortified. ;-)

I hope DJI are successful in finding their vulnerabilities and closing all access...

RedHotPoker

2017-9-21
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-21 20:35
I would much rather stand on the side of the good freedom fighter, than on the terrorists, who only want to inflict misery and pain.

There is no "good side" of hacking.  Even my own government has been guilty of hacking a nuclear power plant in Iran.  I guess it depends on which side of the fence you are on.  As for computers, I have been a Mac user for over 10 years.  Zero ... actually I forgot what it was called... oh yeah, zero antivirus software... all these years and never been hacked.
Maybe DJI should conform to Mac software?  hahaha.  If they come out with an iUAV to match my iPhone, iPad and iMac, DJI might finally get some competition.  Until then, I can't complain.
O.k. its late, and I'm rambling again.  I need to stop posting when my brain is too tired to stay on topic.
2017-9-21
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-21 20:45
Coincidently ABC's Nightline are discussing hacking tonight.  
More than 103,000,000 people are at risk after the Equifax hack last week.

I once worked with hackers and they said categorically you will never fix all vulnerabilities and even if you could, you will never close all access.  Their words not mine...
Until we get rid of evil doers, no time soon it appears, we will never stop bad guys doing bad things.  They are the wolves of our world.
2017-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-21 20:55
I once worked with hackers and they said categorically you will never fix all vulnerabilities and even if you could, you will never close all access.  Their words not mine...
Until we get rid of evil doers, no time soon it appears, we will never stop bad guys doing bad things.  They are the wolves of our world.

Yes, I agree.

A good, or I should say a talented hacker can access your bank account, through your smart fridge.

And make a sandwich while doing it. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-21 20:52
There is no "good side" of hacking.  Even my own government has been guilty of hacking a nuclear power plant in Iran.  I guess it depends on which side of the fence you are on.  As for computers, I have been a Mac user for over 10 years.  Zero ... actually I forgot what it was called... oh yeah, zero antivirus software... all these years and never been hacked.
Maybe DJI should conform to Mac software?  hahaha.  If they come out with an iUAV to match my iPhone, iPad and iMac, DJI might finally get some competition.  Until then, I can't complain.
O.k. its late, and I'm rambling again.  I need to stop posting when my brain is too tired to stay on topic.

Yes, please take a break, and put your mind at ease.

6hrs is sufficient for me, but you young fellows, need a full 8hrs.

Go enjoy some REM. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-21
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-21 20:58
Yes, I agree.

A good, or I should say a talented hacker can access your bank account, through your smart fridge.

Yeah kinda like robbing you blind
2017-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-21 21:00
Yeah kinda like robbing you blind

No, please don't hike my eye glasses. ;-) Take the peanut butter, instead.

We live in this laxadasical digital world, and never even consider who might be trying to break into our computers. Yet we lock the car, dead bolt the front door, and keep a loaded, ok never mind that.

Yes, we need to be more mindful, & of our pass words particularly.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-21
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-21 21:04
No, please don't hike my eye glasses. ;-) Take the peanut butter, instead.

Correct...I keep a loaded 12ga
2017-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-21 21:16
Correct...I keep a loaded 12ga

Yes, keep it loaded... Don't ever fire it.

What Grand Momma did, was empty the shot, and fill them shells with course rock salt...

If you think rubbing salt into a wound is painful.... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-21
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-21 21:22
Yes, keep it loaded... Don't ever fire it.

Yes I think those days are over here...lead poisoning is the only cure from some.  Some of these perbs hyped up on God knows what would likely laugh at you with rock salt.

Had a farmer chase us off once with rock salt, I had never been so scared in my life than then
2017-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-21 21:28
Yes I think those days are over here...lead poisoning is the only cure from some.  Some of these perbs hyped up on God knows what would likely laugh at you with rock salt.

Had a farmer chase us off once with rock salt, I had never been so scared in my life than then

AFAIK, lead shot has long been replaced by steel shot.

Too many water fowl and fish were ingesting the deadly lead pellets and getting poisoned.
Which prevented us from killing them. Lead shot Is gone from scatter guns.

I wonder if home computers will ever be completely hack proof, even with a firewall down, and security software uninstalled?

That would be a huge selling feature.

RedHotPoker

2017-9-21
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-21 21:42
AFAIK, lead shot has long been replaced by steel shot.

Too many water fowl and fish were ingesting the deadly lead pellets and getting poisoned.

yes the only hack proof computer is one that is completely stand alone with no connection to the internet Wi-Fi phone line radio and has not input output devices then maybe it would be completely hack proof maybe

Lead poisoning is used as a phrase, not meaning it literally...
2017-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-21 22:01
yes the only hack proof computer is one that is completely stand alone with no connection to the internet Wi-Fi phone line radio and has not input output devices then maybe it would be completely hack proof maybe

Lead poisoning is used as a phrase, not meaning it literally...

For me, a computer, not connected to the web would be a work station.
Similar to my Motif XF8, but atleast my keyboard plays music. ;-)

Yes, lead, is bad. They tore out all the old piping with lead solder, and we still need to wear special suits to remove lead based paint. Nasty stuff.
I wonder what else, they will discover in the future,  that is bad for us? GMO...

It's getting late here, 1:00am MST, time for a snack...

RedHotPoker
2017-9-21
Use props
James Whenman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 426375 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-21 20:55

If you wrote your own software after building your own peripherals and computer, it could be hack proof.
The problem still is the fact that MS code has always been buggy because they chose to let others provide the peripherals with bad coding practices included, hence all the patches and updates over the past decades. Apple products come only from Apple so they can keep the code machine specific.
But both have to connect to the outside world and that introduces the new problems we face.
2017-9-22
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

James Whenman Posted at 2017-9-22 07:37
If you wrote your own software after building your own peripherals and computer, it could be hack proof.
The problem still is the fact that MS code has always been buggy because they chose to let others provide the peripherals with bad coding practices included, hence all the patches and updates over the past decades. Apple products come only from Apple so they can keep the code machine specific.
But both have to connect to the outside world and that introduces the new problems we face.

True to a point
Apple has enjoyed a relatively worry free life in that respect but that is now starting to change too.  Hazards of gaining market share and becoming a big kid on the block, makes them a more lucrative target.  Where as before it was not only harder as you say, but not nearly as much of a target rich environment as the IBM computers.
2017-9-22
Use props
OwlPic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26 ft
United States

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/11/dji-left-private-keys-for-ssl-cloud-storage-in-public-view-and-exposed-customers/
2017-11-18
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And from another source

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42052473
2017-11-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Thank you, for the support. . ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-11-21
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

all we are tagged individuals , with drones also , it ll turn into Electronic harassment in a near future ;)
2017-11-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Flying with our privacy intact, is always much better, than publicly.

Because Trying to keep an eye on all of our flight kit, while answering a hundred question, & flying, is a ______. !!

RedHotPoker

2017-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules