3924 57 2017-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Actually, I don't want to open a new thread. But since DJI did not release new aircraft firmware for P4 with 2017-09-12 released, I start having less hope to get my problem of P4 to be resolved soon.

May I tell you this. I currently have  3 P4s

1st one worked well with 1.2.602, I bought this one on 2016 May. After updated to 02.00.106 I have aircraft shaking when flying fast against light wind which had never occurred with 1.2.602 and also the camera gimbal lost its power.

2nd one works pretty well with 02.00.106. No problem at all. I bought this one a month before the new P4P was released.

3rd one I just bought end of 2017 August, it came with 1.2.602 and it flies well.

After I realised that there might not be any further new firmware from DJI to correct the problem that I have with 1st P4 because there was no new firmware released together with 2017-09-12 released and because my 2nd P4 has worked pretty good which make me understand that the problem of 02.00.106 affect to only some lots, probably those manufactured in early 2016. I sent my 1st P4 to local support, not official one, and they sent me back with 01.02.602 firmware, no hardware replacement or repair was done. It now flies perfectly as before.

My point here is. DJI should give hand, if you do not have plan to make new firmware for those who are having problem. Otherwise, being left alone, they will finally decide to do what I have done because their aircraft are end of warranty and they have nothing to loose.

They do love their P4.

2017-9-20
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

I think you got a point here, I bought mine in July 2016. I think DJI already know this but they will never acknowledge it. Hopefully, they are not making 2nd category of customers...
2017-9-20
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha fansa7dc,

Interesting deductions you have made regarding your three P4s.  As wangrin notes, it is an interesting point.  So far it has not stood up to scrutiny though because no one has seen that pattern before.  Maybe others can help you with this.

However DJI has made out a pattern that there are two major areas that have led to flight issues for the P4.  One is the device used to run the DJI GO 4 app.  If the device is not powerful enough and or does not have enough RAM, there can be problems with the flight of the P4 because the DJI GO 4 app is a very powerful app.

The second issue is the one that DJI recently addressed.  Since you have already verified that the firmware works just fine in two of your three P4s, we can see that the problem is not with the firmware.  But, firmware does not work in a vacuum.  Firmware has to be downloaded and installed on the P4 and Remote Controller.  The process of downloading and installing the firmware can create a lot of problems.  

The conduit for this process is the DJI Assistant 2 software.  So, just recently, DJI released a new, reworked DJI Assistant 2 software version 1.1.6.  This version is only for the P4 so that the download and installation process can be better controlled.  The Remote Controller also gets a firmware update.  The release notes are on the Downloads page of the DJI web site.  This is what it says for the latest of the Release Notes:

Overview

• Remote Controller Firmware: v1.9.3.0
• DJI GO 4 App iOS: v4.1.10
• DJI GO 4 App Android: v4.1.10

What’s New
• Added support for Head Tracking function when connected with the DJI Goggles.

Notes
• Make sure you restart both the aircraft and remote controller after updating them to the latest
firmware. Otherwise, video downlink may be unstable. Re-link the aircraft with the remote controller
if they are disconnected.

• If you are updating via DJI GO 4, make sure you update the aircraft but only after restarting the
updated remote controller. Otherwise, there will be an error in the progress bar of the aircraft update.

• Please note that firmware update may reset various Main Controller Settings, such as the RTH Altitude
and Maximum Flight Distance, to factory defaults. Before the update, take note of your preferred DJI
GO settings, and readjust them after the update to suit your preference.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-20
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

Nothing is new. There is no new firmware for P4 yet. New RC firmware just for Goggles function as described.
The Assistant 2, though new, but does not help the problem P4 to fly good. What was told is, it disable unauthorised changing some parameter in debugging mode. It is not intend to help solving P4 problem,
2017-9-20
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

Thank you for reading. I hope you will come up with some solution to help people in trouble. Allow to rollback P4, atleast,
2017-9-21
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Flight distance : 523799 ft
Ireland

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-20 22:59
Aloha fansa7dc,

Interesting deductions you have made regarding your three P4s.  As wangrin notes, it is an interesting point.  So far it has not stood up to scrutiny though because no one has seen that pattern before.  Maybe others can help you with this.

WTH did I just read?

Seriously, if you've nothing to add better refrain from posting such misleading and nonsensical stuff!

OP deducts from the behaviour of his three drones manufactured at different times that the stability issue might be related to different hardware revisions of the P4, possibly explaining the flight stability issues some report after the latest fw update. And this is something a few of us wondered as well...

What is this about patterns and other non-sense about DJI GO App being powerful, firmwares in vacuum and updating being a dangerous process...No sense whatsoever.

Sorry but such content can only be confusing to inexperienced or less technical savvy (just like yourself) members.

Back on topic, yes I believe this might be related to silent hw revisions and DJI should be more transparent over what is going on and how it's being addressed. But sadly transparency ain't DJI's forte...
2017-9-21
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dnerve Posted at 2017-9-21 17:17
WTH did I just read?

Seriously, if you've nothing to add better refrain from posting such misleading and nonsensical stuff!

Aloha Dnerve,

Apparently you seem to have an issue with what works and would rather focus on an unproven theory.  That is your prerogative.  Now personally, I have nothing against developing fansa7dc's theory.  You should help fansa7dc further develop his theory if you think there is substance to it.  

I have said nothing that should be interpreted as somehow against that action.  However, I am more interested in helping those who want to fly and pass on what I know to work for members to try to see if it can work for them.

As for the rest of what I wrote, there is nothing misleading or nonsensical about it.  It works and has been shown repeatedly to work.  You may not want to believe it works but to do so you have to try it first.  Try it, you may be pleasantly surprised.  DJI has responded to the recent P4 issue very responsibly and is currently assisting customers who want to fly their P4s.

It is clear from what you wrote that you did not actually read what I wrote.  I am sorry that you also prefer to shoot from the hip in a crowded room.  Not a good idea.  Should people with your pattern of thinking and action expressed in your post really be flying?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-21
Use props
fanscf5de830
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1023320 ft
United States

Dnerve Posted at 2017-9-21 17:17
WTH did I just read?

I agree with everything you said,I have a early production model (bought on April 2016)and my bird flue well for over a year, until update Ver 106. Since then it’s been unstable in flight.Ive done every possible that has been suggested to do in this forum and by DJI technical support and nothing has work.I own a P2v+, P4 ,and Mavic and been flying for two years,and the only problem I encounter was with Ver 106.And your right cetacean doesn’t make much sense.
2017-9-21
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

Cetacean, there is a proverb in my culture, "don't try to hide a dead elephant under a lotus leaf".
2017-9-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fanscf5de830 Posted at 2017-9-21 21:42
I agree with everything you said,I have a early production model (bought on April 2016)and my bird flue well for over a year, until update Ver 106. Since then it’s been unstable in flight.Ive done every possible that has been suggested to do in this forum and by DJI technical support and nothing has work.I own a P2v+, P4 ,and Mavic and been flying for two years,and the only problem I encounter was with Ver 106.And your right cetacean doesn’t make much sense.

Aloha fanscf5,

Have you tried DJI Assistant 2 version 1.1.6?  It will load RC Fw v1.9.3.0.  Are you running RC Fw v1.9.3.0?  If you are not doing this, you have no cause to comment because you are not trying to get your P4 in the air flying properly.  

It is real simple, use the tools available to you or accept that your Phantom will not fly right.  But, do not blame DJI because if you do not do what DJI suggests, you are the problem, not DJI.  If you will not try what DJI says you need to do to get your P4 flying properly, it is not DJI's fault that your P4 will not fly right.

There has never been a problem with the aircraft firmware v.106.  The problems are as noted previously, all peripheral issues.  The new Assistant 2 software improves the download and installation function and replaces the previous RC Fw v1.9.2.0 with RC Fw v1.9.3.0.  The earlier RC Fw may have had an affect on downloads and installations and maybe even downloads and installations on the "early production model" you note.  Because of this, you will have to also refresh the Aircraft Fw v 106 to make sure the download and installation is proper.

This could even be addressing the theory you are proposing.  Are you ignoring the solution?

So, what is it you are going to do, get your bird in the air flying properly or dream of flying.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-9-22 00:00
Cetacean, there is a proverb in my culture, "don't try to hide a dead elephant under a lotus leaf".

Aloha fansa7dc,

To which the the answer is;

"If there is no dead elephant, then there is no need to use a lotus leaf to try to cover your tracks."

Do you want to fly or keep trying to cover your tracks?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-22
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

RE: The 02.00.0106

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-22 00:08
Aloha fanscf5,

Have you tried DJI Assistant 2 version 1.1.6?  It will load RC Fw v1.9.3.0.  Are you running RC Fw v1.9.3.0?  If you are not doing this, you have no cause to comment because you are not trying to get your P4 in the air flying properly.  

You say     “it is not DJI's fault that your P4 will not fly right.    There has never been a problem with the aircraft firmware v.106.”

How can you possibly continue to make ridiculous claims like that?  To continue to blame owners for DJI’s  failed firmware makes no sense at all. There are many owners in forums (many with far greater experience than yourself, I would think) who have tried all possible solutions to get 106 to work but, for them, it simply won’t. They all have one thing in common which is that their drones were flying perfectly before the update and then failed afterwards.  If you had some luck getting yours to work then good luck to you but don’t use your own luck in order to suggest that everyone else must be the cause of their own firmware issues. There is clearly a problem with the latest firmware. If it was as simple as taking out the SD Card etc etc etc then DJI would have said that already. The fact is that owners should be able to use the official DJI tools to update their drones once only in the knowledge that it will work correctly. Clearly that has not been the case for many owners in this forum and most have tried several methods (including your suggestion) without any success. Hopefully, DJI will come to the party and fix it but I don’t think that anyone is expecting that to happen soon.
2017-9-22
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-22 00:08
Aloha fanscf5,

Well, we will see. I went thru the upgrade with the new assistant 2 v1.1.6 and RC 1.9.3. I am just waiting a better day to test it out as it's been raining here the last 2 days. But, I still doubt it's going to fix the issue even I have hope,  want badly the tripod feature...
2017-9-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JockC Posted at 2017-9-22 00:34
You say     “it is not DJI's fault that your P4 will not fly right.    There has never been a problem with the aircraft firmware v.106.”

How can you possibly continue to make ridiculous claims like that?  To continue to blame owners for DJI’s  failed firmware makes no sense at all. There are many owners in forums (many with far greater experience than yourself, I would think) who have tried all possible solutions to get 106 to work but, for them, it simply won’t. They all have one thing in common which is that their drones were flying perfectly before the update and then failed afterwards.  If you had some luck getting yours to work then good luck to you but don’t use your own luck in order to suggest that everyone else must be the cause of their firmware issues. There is clearly a problem with the latest firmware. Hopefully, DJI will come to the party and fix it but I don’t think that anyone is expecting that to happen soon.

Aloha Jock,

The Aircraft Fw v. 106 does not have a problem.  Therefore, there is no Aircraft Firmware problem for DJI to be responsible for.  AC Fw v. 106 works just fine.

The people on other forums have no idea what the problem with the P4 is.  Plain and Simple.  They have a lot of experience spinning wheels apparently.  This is all science and technology, which seems to be in short supply on other forums.

Now DJI has found almost all of the problem, but if you think the problem is in the firmware, you are only half right.  The perfectly good firmware gets slightly corrupted during some downloads and some installations.  That is the problem!

DJI is constantly providing tools for P4 customers to get their P4s up in the air flying properly.  But if you think the problem is bad firmware, will you try the solutions DJI keeps suggesting?  DJI will not come out with another Aircraft Fw as long as Fw v. 106 keeps working properly and there are no new upgrades like the new Tripod.   

If you want to get your P4 flying properly, you will have to do what DJI suggests.  If you wait until DJI comes out with a new Fw, you may wait a long time because what you think is your problem is not a problem, it is the thinking that is the problem.  So do not hold our breath, because you will not live very long.

The latest tool DJI has come out with is the new DJI Assistant 2 v. 1.1.6 that is noted above numerous times.  It improves downloads and installations and provides a better Fw for the Remote Controller.  Now try that and get in the air with the perfectly fine AC FW v. 106.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-22
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-22 01:19
Aloha Jock,

The Aircraft Fw v. 106 does not have a problem.  Therefore, there is no Aircraft Firmware problem for DJI to be responsible for.  AC Fw v. 106 works just fine.

You are welcome to your own opinions on the firmware as are the rest of us.
The overwhelming school of thought within this forum is that there are real problems with the latest firmware and we live in hope (but with ever diminishing patience) that DJI will fix them. Recently, DJI produced a beta 300 version which they stated was intended to try and resolve the video problems that were introduced with the latest official firmware; the same firmware that you say has no problems.

It’s great that you have managed to get yours to work but being a self appointed expert and telling everyone else that they are the cause of their own problems is both wrong and only serves to make them even more angry about their current situation
2017-9-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

wangrincreation Posted at 2017-9-22 00:50
Well, we will see. I went thru the upgrade with the new assistant 2 v1.1.6 and RC 1.9.3. I am just waiting a better day to test it out as it's been raining here the last 2 days. But, I still doubt it's going to fix the issue even I have hope,  want badly the tripod feature...

Aloha wangrin,

Mahalo for giving it a try.  In a communication with one of the other contributors, I did a test with my P4 and in a fast return to home, I did notice a wobble at high speed that I passed off as a wind effect.  But the SD card video showed no wobble or other effect.  That is the closest I have gotten to the problem reported by others.  So I am very interested in doing the retesting and then the update myself.

The Tripod is real interesting but does not have the "Narrow Sensing" that the P4 Pro has.  At least as far as I have been able to find.  Another thing is that the top speed may be slightly faster with the P4 Tripod.  But, then the P4 Pro Tripod has a real slow top speed.  I still need more air time.  We have had strong trade winds here for the last month, and I have been so busy, my only relaxation has been this Forum.

Let me know how the update goes!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JockC Posted at 2017-9-22 01:36
You are welcome to your own opinions on the firmware as are the rest of us.
The overwhelming school of thought within this forum is that there are real problems with the latest firmware and we live in hope (but with ever diminishing patience) that DJI will fix them. Recently, DJI produced a beta 300 version which they stated was intended to try and resolve the video problems that were introduced with the latest official firmware; the same firmware that you say has no problems.

Aloha Jock,

Have you tried what DJI has suggested?  Opinions mean nothing if they are opposed to facts.  If you try what DJI suggests and it works, that is not longer an opinion, it is a fact.  Give it a try.

The P4 Aircraft Firmware: v02.00.0106 works just fine.

There are peripheral issues that have caused problems and DJI has tried to address them as you have noted.  Would you like DJI to waste their time chasing windmills or use their time wisely solving problems?

I am no self-appointed expert as many on this Forum will testify.  I am a good listener and I write fairly well.  All I have done is listen to DJI and understood what they have said.  I have tried to chronicle what DJI has said that worked on this Forum.  But apparently many on this Forum have preferred to not listen to DJI and they are suffering for it by not being able to fly their P4s.  

Get over it!  Do the latest update, as noted above, and fly your heart out!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-22
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-22 01:52
Aloha Jock,

Have you tried what DJI has suggested?  Opinions mean nothing if they are opposed to facts.  If you try what DJI suggests and it works, that is not longer an opinion, it is a fact.  Give it a try.

There’s no point discussing this further with you because you have already  made up your mind that everyone else  in these threads who has problems with the latest firmware is wrong and that you are right.  I have tried multiple alternatives (including what you’ve suggested). I would love for it to have been a magic solution but like many others, it has made no difference at all. If it’s worked for a couple of people then that’s great but it is absurd to say that it will work for everyone. The  only thing that has worked for me (and multiple others in this thread)  was to use that special utility to install the previous version which works perfectly.If the solution was as easy as doing what you say then why has DJI sat back for more than two and a half months listening to all the abuse in these threads when, according to you, they could simply advise people to do what you say?  It makes no sense at all. DJI knows there is a problem and they are working on it in DJI time which we know from experience is not fast.
We all want a reliable solution but  that solution lies with DJI. They have already released a beta which they say tries to resolve the video problems (which you claim don’t exist) and they have alluded to a further beta to fix the wobbling problem yet you claim that problem also does not exist. I am all for people trying any means to get their drone working but stating that what works for one person will also work for everyone makes no sense. Naturally, I will keep an eye on these threads and if anyone comes up with a new possible solution then I will give it a go, just as I did with what you suggested.
2017-9-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JockC Posted at 2017-9-22 02:34
There’s no point discussing this further with you because you have already  made up your mind that everyone else  in these threads who has problems with the latest firmware is wrong and that you are right.  I have tried multiple alternatives (including what you’ve suggested). I would love for it to have been a magic solution but like many others, it has made no difference at all. If it’s worked for a couple of people then that’s great but it is absurd to say that it will work for everyone. The  only thing that has worked for me (and multiple others in this thread)  was to use that special utility to install the previous version which works perfectly.If the solution was as easy as doing what you say then why has DJI sat back for more than two and a half months listening to all the abuse in these threads when, according to you, they could simply advise people to do what you say?  It makes no sense at all. DJI knows there is a problem and they are working on it in DJI time which we know from experience is not fast.
We all want a reliable solution but  that solution lies with DJI. They have already released a beta which they say tries to resolve the video problems (which you claim don’t exist) and they have alluded to a further beta to fix the wobbling problem yet you claim that problem also does not exist. I am all for people trying any means to get their drone working but stating that what works for one person will also work for everyone makes no sense. Naturally, I will keep an eye on these threads and if anyone comes up with a new possible solution then I will give it a go, just as I did with what you suggested.

Aloha Jock,

How come you do not want to engage in a civil discussion about a straightforward problem?  This is the third or fourth accusative dialogue you have made and only now you have said you tried DJI Assistant 2 V. 1.1.6.  How come you never said you tried that update earlier?  So, what happened when you tried the latest (Sept. 12) DJI Assistant 2 V. 1.1.6 update?  Did you refresh the controller with that update?  Did you refresh the Aircraft Fw v. 106 with that update.  These are the solutions.  Have you tried them as instructed by DJI?  If you do not say these things how am I supposed to know that you have tried them?  

How about we have a civil discussion instead of you making all these absurd accusations?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-22
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

Cetacean, your words are empty. It cannot overcome the truth that a significant number of P4 do have problem with 02.00.0106. And this thread is for DJI, not you. But if you love to stand for DJI then you are empty because you can do nothing to help people.
2017-9-22
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

FYI: No matter how good Dji Go 4 and Assistant 2 are, they are irrelevant to the P4 problem because the control codes that cause problem are not there they are inside P4 along with those hardware.
2017-9-22
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

The firmware problem is the dead elephant. You are the lotus leaf,
2017-9-22
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Australia

RE: The 02.00.0106

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-22 03:11
Aloha Jock,

How come you do not want to engage in a civil discussion about a straightforward problem?  This is the third or fourth accusative dialogue you have made and only now you have said you tried DJI Assistant 2 V. 1.1.6.  How come you never said you tried that update earlier?  So, what happened when you tried the latest (Sept. 12) DJI Assistant 2 V. 1.1.6 update?  Did you refresh the controller with that update?  Did you refresh the Aircraft Fw v. 106 with that update.  These are the solutions.  Have you tried them as instructed by DJI?  If you do not say these things how am I supposed to know that you have tried them?  

As noted earlier, I am happy to try any proposed solutions including your own and am happy to consider other people’s opinions.  What I am not happy about is anyone who simply asserts that anyone who has problems with the firmware  has somehow brought the problems upon themselves. It is an insult to many people who have put many hours into trying to get their drones back in working shape after the firmware update.
I have not given up and will try any solutions.i accept that  your solution may well have worked for some folk but that’s no guarantee that it’s the magic solution for everyone. There is clearly an issue with the firmware itself.
The weekend is now here and I fully intend to try the latest firmware and DJI Assistant (again, yes I have tried it already) in the hope that things will magically change although I have low confidence.  
You obviously have an opinion that anyone can have the latest version working by following your process. It didn’t work for me and it didn’t work for several others but we don’t all assert  that it will therefore fail for everyone else.
Clearly, many people in these threads have experienced serious problems with the firmware. What is missing is any consistency from  DJI in terms of how or even if it can be resolved. Instead, we get the usual “try an IMU calibration”, “return it to our support team”, “try relinking the RC”, “try the latest Assistant”  and the list goes on.
We could save all these discussions if DJI simply acknowledged that some people have had problems and properly document a solution (if there is one). The current disparate and inconsistent responses from DJI is not helping anyone.  
Whilst some may have been able to find a workaround, there are many who have not and I believe their solution will only arrive in the form of a new version of firmware, hopefully sooner than later.
2017-9-22
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

My intention in opening this thread is to ask DJI to provide help for the customers rather than leaving them stay with problems. It has been proved by many that rolling back to 1.2.602 restore the all good to the problem P4. There are help out there that we can get to restore the firmware. But they are not welcome by DJI and that is why I am asking DJI for help. I myself did not want to go that way but being hopeless I decided to go for the help and I am glad to have my P4 good again. But wouldn't it be better if the 1.2.602 firmware will be made available by DJI as before.
2017-9-22
Use props
BSilverthorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95144 ft
United States

JockC come over here to this thread: Aircraft Unstable and aggressive

There is a problem someplace with the latest firmware, be it how it gets written, or corrupt in transfer, or the firmware itself for P4. So far no one can tell exactly what is going on.  I have assisted a few friends in rolling back to 1.2.602 and the bird flies great. Its doesn't appear to be device that is running the app, my Iphone 7S, Nvidia Shield, Nexus 7 and friends latest IPAD have all been tested, and the same results are across the board in erratic behavior.  

If you pop over to this thread you will get some help from the guys in it. If your bird is of the 2016 flavor, the only common thread I have found so far you may have to sit 1.2.602. I have flashed 503,602 and the latest thru numerous tools not just DJIs. No matter how 02.00.106 is flashed, or the number of times the flash is performed it still causes issues on all the P4s that I have around me to test with friends.

I have no proof other than going back to the previous firmware build, along with finding anyone with a 2016 bird other than a few friends mine. They all cant use v2 either at this moment. Mine was so bad I went back to my P2 for awhile as I was afraid to fly the P4.
Now its sitting on the older firmware and its like a new drone ;-). I will be bummed as well if they or us can't figure out what is up, as my bird just turned 1 year old ;-).

I have full faith in DJI and hopefully an answer, they are the leader for a reasson ;-).
2017-9-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JockC Posted at 2017-9-22 03:52
As noted earlier, I am happy to try any proposed solutions including your own and am happy to consider other people’s opinions.  What I am not happy about is anyone who simply asserts that anyone who has problems with the firmware  has somehow brought the problems upon themselves. It is an insult to many people who have put many hours into trying to get their drones back in working shape after the firmware update.
I have not given up and will try any solutions.i accept that  your solution may well have worked for some folk but that’s no guarantee that it’s the magic solution for everyone. There is clearly an issue with the firmware itself.
The weekend is now here and I fully intend to try the latest firmware and DJI Assistant (again, yes I have tried it already) in the hope that things will magically change although I have low confidence.  

Aloha Jock,

Where do you get the Idea that,

"What I am not happy about is anyone who simply asserts that anyone who has problems with the firmware has somehow brought the problems upon themselves."

is somehow related to what I contribute to this Forum?  Nothing could be further from the truth.  In defense of your comment though, what you describe is a mistake, plain and simple, again.  

I make mistakes all the time.  In fact most of my comments are derived from mistakes I have made. My mistakes are regularly corrected on this forum but so far this issue is still open, no mistake on my part, yet.  There is nothing wrong about making a mistake.  What is a real problem is not learning from your mistakes!

Fortunately, you do not seem to be in that category.  If I may clarify your statement to, "There is an illusion that there is an issue with the firmware itself."  In fact, there are many peripheral issues that can mislead people into thinking that there is an issue with the firmware.  But the problem is with the peripheral issues, not the firmware.

1.  Can downloads corrupt files?

2.  Can installations corrupt programs?

3.  What is Error Correction and why is it used?

These questions are well known to computer users.  Why are they excluded as reasons that the v. 106 firmware is perceived as not working properly?  Are they not part of every other download and installation problem?

Just because I point out that these are problems when one has to deal with firmware, does not mean I am faulting anyone for having these issues.  These are mistakes involved in the process.  I can fault myself, and often do, but I do my best to not fault others because that is not helpful.  My goal on this forum is to be helpful.

DJI is doing what you asked them to do in your post.  In turn you should do what DJI suggests.  I plan to.  

Start with a fresh version of DJI Assistant 2 v. 1.1.6.  Install it on a computer that is similar to your device, PC for Android and Apple product for iOS device.  After fresh download and installation, refresh or install Remote Controller Fw v1.9.3.0 first.  This is important because, "If you are updating via DJI GO 4, make sure you update the aircraft but only after restarting the updated remote controller. Otherwise, there will be an error in the progress bar of the aircraft update."

Then update or refresh the Aircraft to v.106.  The complete Release Notes text is posted above.

Hope this helps, because if it helps you it will help me!  I am in the same boat.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-22
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-22 16:59
Aloha Jock,

Where do you get the Idea that,

After more than 35 years marketing and supporting firmware in various devices, your description of what can go wrong with firmware has added nothing to my understanding of the current firmware issues. Whether the firmware itself is faulty or whether DJI's installation process is at fault is irrelevant. It is all part of the firmware release and DJI clearly got it wrong for many users.
What is possibly worse than the faults, though, is DJI's handling of the issues.  Specifically, they have not categorically acknowledged the shaking problem nor have they stated what reloading the firmware with the new Assistant 2 is meant to fix. Instead, they give a loose acknowledgement of some firmware issues and then advise people to reinstall the firmware using the new Assistant2 but give no explanation as to what it may or may not fix.

In support of the above concerns, I note that the latest release notes for DJI Assistant 2 have a paragraph of changes for each of the drone types but they have absolutely nothing as far as the P4 is concerned other than restating the latest level of drone firmware. If this latest Assistant 2 was meant to be a cure all for the P4 then surely it would rate a mention.

I will continue to monitor the threads and when I see anything that looks like a reliable fix I try it but, at this stage, there is no conclusive evidence that anything is currently working 100%. Some say it has whilst others say there's no difference.

When you say you are "in the same boat" what specific problems are you experiencing? (I thought you were one of the lucky ones with no current issues).
As per my previous posts, I'm always following your posts and that of many others who are not having the same level of luck. The fact that there are still many people with problems is indicative of an issue with the firmware and/or its delivery. Any owner should be able to confidently use the Assistant 2, DJO G4 etc to update their drones without the fear of having it all go wrong. If there is problem of any kind then the provider should either provide a roll back facility or resolve the problem(s) promptly. Unfortunately, that has not been the case with my P4 or previous P3A.
2017-9-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JockC Posted at 2017-9-22 19:08
After more than 35 years marketing and supporting firmware in various devices, your description of what can go wrong with firmware has added nothing to my understanding of the current firmware issues. Whether the firmware itself is faulty or whether DJI's installation process is at fault is irrelevant. It is all part of the firmware release and DJI clearly got it wrong for many users.
What is possibly worse than the faults, though, is DJI's handling of the issues.  Specifically, they have not categorically acknowledged the shaking problem nor have they stated what reloading the firmware with the new Assistant 2 is meant to fix. Instead, they give a loose acknowledgement of some firmware issues and then advise people to reinstall the firmware using the new Assistant2 but give no explanation as to what it may or may not fix.

Aloha Jock,

Somehow, you are not communicating to me.  Sure thirty five years marketing and supporting firmware shows some experience, but to me, that experience should impress upon you the risks and downsides of cutting edge technology.  Have you ever even worked with cutting edge firmware in your thirty five years?  

Another point that seems to completely fly over your head, is that the US and Australia are markets for a company based in China.  Now, it is a Chinese Company that is developing and marketing cutting edge technology.  China has a completely different way of doing business and this difference even goes so far as looking at the world itself.  What is important to Australians and the US is not as important to the Chinese.  So, there are cultural differences that come into play.  For some reason, you seem to want to hold the Chinese Company to a US and Australian standard they have no interest in.  Do you want their product or not?  It is OK for DJI to be very "bottom line".  They hold the standard.  Kind of like the Apple of Asia.  I am not very fond of Apple and their products at all.

Basically, it seems to me that if you are not happy with your DJI product, you should vote with your pocketbook and buy another product that will match your expectations.  Clearly the Chinese product does not.

However, having said that, it is good that you keep monitoring the possibilities for a breakthrough for your P4.  Personally, I think you should try what DJI recommends, after all they developed the technology.  Maybe you will find some solution or just roll back your system.  It is totally up to you.

Like some have said on the Forum, every update is like Christmas morning - new presents.  If you are satisfied with last years P4, roll back the firmware and fly last years firmware.  There will be no Tripod, etc., but you will have last years product flying the way you want it to fly.

As for me, I was able to get my P4 up and out to test the high speed wobble that is the closest I get to the problems seen by others.  It turns out that vertical and horizontal max speed efforts are straight with no wobbles.  But a max speed descent or rise at 30-60 degrees does indeed produce a wobble.  It looks to me that I should be able to remove the wobble with setting changes, but it is indeed there.

Tomorrow and Sunday, I will try the refreshed and new firmware installed with the new DJI Assistant 2.  At least I have a test to see if there is a difference.  

Mahalo for the conversation.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-22
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-22 23:20
Aloha Jock,

Somehow, you are not communicating to me.  Sure thirty five years marketing and supporting firmware shows some experience, but to me, that experience should impress upon you the risks and downsides of cutting edge technology.  Have you ever even worked with cutting edge firmware in your thirty five years?  

All my career involved the provision and support  of leading edge, mission critical firmware and yes, I do want to hold DJI to western marketing and support standards since that’s where they are focusing their sales efforts. The fact that they are a Chinese company and have adopted a Chinese “no care” culture does not make it OK.  It’s a common courtesy that customers be provided with release notes that accurately reflect any changes. It is also common courtesy that a manufacturer acknowledges issues when they inevitably occur from time to time and provides some consistent and meaningful advice as to what they’re doing abou it. DJI does neither.
When I search the web, I note that there are now numerous drone manufacturers chasing a lucrative market. Whilst DJI has clearly taken the initiative and has a head start on the others, the companies that will do well in the long term will be those that treat their customers with respect.

As per previous posts, I am keen to try anything that might resolve the shaking issue, in particular, you state that there is no issue with the firmware itself and that DJI has provided information that shows people the “correct” way to reinstall it (despite the new DJI Assistant release notes making no reference at all to any P4 changes). So that I don’t make any mistakes,  can you please point me to the DJI post which clearly articulated the correct procedure AND the list of problems which that correct procedure will address?   Given the hundreds of posts from owners with issues (and just as many deleted posts and threads), this one procedure fixes everything solution must have come as a great relief to DJI, so much so that there will undoubtedly be a separate thread for it but I can’t find it.

Further, a question for the DJI reps in this forum who I know do try to help but are often not privy to all the relevant information.  Can one of the DJI reps please confirm what Cetacean has claimed which is that developers believe that fhe shaking issue (in particular) is not  a firmware issue and that it can be corrected by simply reinstalling the firmware the  “correct” way? If that is, indeed, the case then I would become a very happy P4 owner but, if it’s  the case then I’d also ask DJI  to create  a separate thread on the correct procedure including a list of  problems it addresses. I know this forum community would be extremely grateful. Personally, I don’t believe it is the case but this is one issue where I would dearly love to be wrong.

2017-9-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JockC Posted at 2017-9-22 23:45
All my career involved the provision and support  of leading edge, mission critical firmware and yes, I do want to hold DJI to western marketing and support standards since that’s where they are focusing their sales efforts. The fact that they are a Chinese company and have adopted a Chinese “no care” culture does not make it OK.  It’s a common courtesy that customers be provided with release notes that accurately reflect any changes. It is also common courtesy that a manufacturer acknowledges issues when they inevitably occur from time to time and provides some consistent and meaningful advice as to what they’re doing abou it. DJI does neither.
When I search the web, I note that there are now numerous drone manufacturers chasing a lucrative market. Whilst DJI has clearly taken the initiative and has a head start on the others, the companies that will do well in the long term will be those that treat their customers with respect.

Aloha Jock,

DJI Joe is already putting your suggestion through the process.  DJI does make an assumption that their product users have some knowledge about Internet use and browsing.  Flyiing drones is like RC.  It is very much a DIY hobby and business.  

I am glad you noticed that the vast majority of posts on firmware are not substantive at all and tend to lean toward commiserative.  This is the problem.  No one wants to help others, they just want to bellyache with each other.

Finally, you appear to have not heard of "Point of Diminishing Returns" and "Cost Benefit Ratio.  Basic business tools.  If you compare the very few who continue to have problems, including yourself, with the vast majority who do not have a problem, it is not really worth the time to spend money down a money pit to placate those who prefer commiseration rather than problem solving.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-23
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-20 22:59
Aloha fansa7dc,

I'm sorry but this would have to be one of the most nonsensical posts I've read on here to date. There's too many people posting absolute garbage from an assumed position of knowledgable authority, when in reality, the opposite is true. People on here should stop posting misleading and objectively incorrect nonsense!

1. The DJI Go app does nothing other than provide a video stream from the remote control, provide a map overlay, display some HUD data and a few other things. 99% of the smarts and communication occur between the remote control and the bird.

2. Your claims that there is nothing wrong with the firmware is the biggest pile of steaming garbage. I don't need to elaborate further since anyone with half a brain can read the hundreds/thousands? of other threads, replies regarding various firmware issues with 106 etc. and deduce this for themselves.

I'd suggest you play a passive role in these forums. Your nonsense will only cause confusion and mislead others.
2017-9-24
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Flight distance : 523799 ft
Ireland

gyrex Posted at 2017-9-24 13:25
I'm sorry but this would have to be one of the most nonsensical posts I've read on here to date. There's too many people posting absolute garbage from an assumed position of knowledgable authority, when in reality, the opposite is true. People on here should stop posting misleading and objectively incorrect nonsense!

1. The DJI Go app does nothing other than provide a video stream from the remote control, provide a map overlay, display some HUD data and a few other things. 99% of the smarts and communication occur between the remote control and the bird.

lol I tried to tell him but I gave up...

These posts remind me of this somehow:

http://tinyurl.com/lgme3zu

Sorry for the tinyurl but DJI’s forum bot wouldn’t allow posting original url for some reason....
2017-9-24
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

Dnerve Posted at 2017-9-24 14:17
lol I tried to tell him but I gave up...

These posts remind me of this somehow:

LOL!!! Holy crap, that's pure gold! I was going to make a second post asking if his posts were generated by his cat randomly jumping on the keyboard but this is so perfect haha Very nice
2017-9-24
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Australia

" anyone with half a brain can read the hundreds/thousands? of other threads, replies regarding various firmware issues with 106 "

Not to mention the countless additional threads and posts that were deleted. I tried to argue common sense but there was no end to the fantasy world replies that I received. It's enough to make me believe that "Galaxy Quest" might have been a true story.
I have no doubt that if there was really a "fix all" solution then DJI would have posted it long ago. After all, they would hardly want to keep receiving all this negative publicity in these threads if they were really able to resolve the various issues.
2017-9-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha gyrex,

Yes, I am sorry, but I agree whole heartedly, your post has to be the most nonsensical of all the posts here in this thread.  How could you ignore the obvious.  An extremely small number of P4 customers are having a problem with the v.106 firmware.  The vast thousands of DJI P4 customers are flying their hearts out and having fun.  Apparently there is a small, and very vocal, minority that is so stubborn they refuse to do what DJI suggests or roll back their product or just vote with their pocket book and buy a better drone.  Please go join them and leave us in peace.

Apparently you have no interest in solving your own problems like many of the rest who just like to complain and not help the others.  We prefer to help those who want help on this Forum.  You cannot help a complainer.  Complaining appears to be their life mission.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-24
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-24 18:46
Aloha gyrex,

Yes, I am sorry, but I agree whole heartedly, your post has to be the most nonsensical of all the posts here in this thread.  How could you ignore the obvious.  An extremely small number of P4 customers are having a problem with the v.106 firmware.  The vast thousands of DJI P4 customers are flying their hearts out and having fun.  Apparently there is a small, and very vocal, minority that is so stubborn they refuse to do what DJI suggests or roll back their product or just vote with their pocket book and buy a better drone.  Please go join them and leave us in peace.

Tell us again how DJI Go is responsible for all these flight instability, camera/gimbal and COFDM issues since it's so "powerful". Can you explain how these issues also occur when using Litchi since you're the self professed DJI forum expert technician?

I must be seeing things on this and other forums where hundreds (maybe over a thousand) of people are complaining about the firmware. Keep trolling bud.
2017-9-25
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

gyrex Posted at 2017-9-25 00:27
Tell us again how DJI Go is responsible for all these flight instability, camera/gimbal and COFDM issues since it's so "powerful". Can you explain how these issues also occur when using Litchi since you're the self professed DJI forum expert technician?

I must be seeing things on this and other forums where hundreds (maybe over a thousand) of people are complaining about the firmware. Keep trolling bud.

Aloha gyrex,

Now, let us do the math, a thousand people are too intimidated by the cutting edge technology to actually try solutions to the problems they appear to be having and would rather complain that it is not easier.  Hmmm.  Then there are the 100 thousand (or many more) who have no problem because if they do have a problem, they try to solve their problems through research or asking questions.

Well, this is simple, 1 percent seems to be having a problem but by making big-body they are trying to make themselves seem like many more.  Why not just get real and try to get it right?

The answer is to ask questions and get answers.  DJI monitors this Forum implicitly.  At some point someone is going to ask just the right question that is going to get a DJI engineer thinking in just the right direction to get an answer that solves the problem.  We are all in this together!

This is cutting edge technology. NEVER FORGET THAT!!!  With cutting edge technology there are sometimes very difficult problems.  All of us have an interest is solving those problems if we want to have fun in the sky.  Well, we sometimes like to make nice photos and videos to.

Come on.  Join us in trying to solve problems rather than making it seem like these problems are trouble.  In my years on this Forum, I have only come across a very few businesses that totally screwed up and failed to have a "bail out" plan if something went wrong.  In those cases, it was plain and simple that they had no business being in the drone business.  If they worked for me, I would have fired them.

Have you tried the DJI Assistant 2 v. 1.1.6?  Have you upgraded your Remote Controller to v. 1.9.30?  What is your device?  Is it a iOS or Android device?  What type of computer do you have Assistant installed on?  Is it similar to or the same as your device?

There are many questions.  If we have no answers, we will continue to have a small group who are having problems.  Help us solve those problems rather than getting in the way.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-25
Use props
Zimmerman 61
lvl.4
Flight distance : 730052 ft

Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-25 01:09
Aloha gyrex,

Now, let us do the math, a thousand people are too intimidated by the cutting edge technology to actually try solutions to the problems they appear to be having and would rather complain that it is not easier.  Hmmm.  Then there are the 100 thousand (or many more) who have no problem because if they do have a problem, they try to solve their problems through research or asking questions.

Wow,, all this talk about a lot of nothing. I am a P4 owner who simply would like a straight answer on what I need to do to get my P4 flying like it used to. Yes, I have the shakes/wobbles like very one else. I have currently rolled back to the previous firmware using the 3rd party procedure.

Can someone advice me on the course of action that is being suggested by DJI. I am quite willing to have a go of the new procedure but as yet have not downloaded the latest version of Assisnat 2 DJIGO 4.1.11 and also my mini ipad4 is not on the latest IOS 11.

I don't care for pages of arguing on this forum just a plain simpl process that can be followed by an individual without years of experience in the IT world.

Thanks
2017-9-25
Use props
F.KOK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18954370 ft
  • >>>
Namibia

I did not want to downgrade the unofficial way to .602 but I lose too much and eventually decided to do it after trying for 72 days to solve the unstable problem. I have tried everything that have been said about this issue, and still trying and listen to advice and input from others, but still no fix. On unofficial .602 the Drone is not totally stable when hovering, but it flies quite stable and I can use it comfortably. On the latest official version .106 the Drone then hovers stable and in slow flight, but get really unstable, wobbling, erratic when gaining speed, like on some of the videos that have been posted, and it is unuseable. Can't get it fix, but is still open for any secessions, name it, I think I have tried it already. Here are just 100 guys listed that said they have this problem. Can all of you who solved the unstable issue post on this forum thread what you have done that fix it totally. There will be a lot of us who will grab the solutions that had fixed this unstable problem totally and definitely, on latest firmware version .106. It surely can be fix just name it and I will do it right away. The camera problem was fixed with Beta .300 although not all had that problem, what then about the unstable problem.?      
Moshe.mmm.   MaBou.  Barnston.   BVB.   fans229232c7.   Moto1981.   Wangrincreation.   JockC.   SomeoneELsesDro.   M109.   Punchbuggy.   Bugbee.   Calmax.   Pakawan.   Sajidshah.   ibuyufo.   Pareja.
Cian McLian.   fans90b2bb2d.   fanse6dz3c78.   Windy Hill Flye.   fans6bf2456f.   Duchunter.   Callatis.   fans9660f229.   fansd5fef3dc.   Black90221.   Julio Haesbaert.   usarfireman.   Elsmeghead.   AcriallmageryME
Oz Phantom.   DroneDirector.   Vfrailing.   nickzavi.   Satstream.   Pllphoto.   fans987d2789.   fans978c4f59.   Jgrimmy.   Gablopez.   pgrog.   Crazyant.   Icer.   fans72310882.   fans6d4e2456.   GrangerFX.   gtsdart.
RyanBirdsVideo.   northbaydrones.   rdrone.   F.KOK.   Uruguayo.   Raider Ryan.   Taddpole 808.   PandaFlyingcat.   dhutch.   Lean.   Bulcsu.   Mugrunty.   fanse3f97986.   Kolbasatka.   Slipsrm 111.   jesper n.
Rockafilly.   Mugrunty.   Mmastof 7.   user7ad040d4d0.   milnefish.   alexir59.   fans8b273dba.   Movie Aerials.   Zisojohn.   fansf7c87c68.   phantomfan.   RobW.   rosen 9449.   fansa2c27898.   Dmg.   
fans885fic00.   fans3cbef814.   Ben M16.   Xpatarrao.   Im51-sp.   Tomzilla.   glowvideos.   fansOeOOebfc.   Alex Dw.   Qba73.   rclzzz.   fansf7c87c68.   Arkon.   1HPC.   irsaadinugraha.   userc9d16876e4.   Maxnew.
fansie968941.   Hakan K.   fireman 02.   Irate Retro.  

2017-9-25
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Zimmerman 61 Posted at 2017-9-25 03:09
Wow,, all this talk about a lot of nothing. I am a P4 owner who simply would like a straight answer on what I need to do to get my P4 flying like it used to. Yes, I have the shakes/wobbles like very one else. I have currently rolled back to the previous firmware using the 3rd party procedure.

Can someone advice me on the course of action that is being suggested by DJI. I am quite willing to have a go of the new procedure but as yet have not downloaded the latest version of Assisnat 2 DJIGO 4.1.11 and also my mini ipad4 is not on the latest IOS 11.

Aloha Zimmerman,

The DJI recommended update is in the Release Notes for;

Overview
• Remote Controller Firmware: v1.9.3.0
• DJI GO 4 App iOS:v4.1.10
• DJI GO 4 App Android:v4.1.10

What’s New
• Added support for Head Tracking function when connected with the DJI Goggles.

Notes
• Make sure you restart both the aircraft and remote controller after updating them to the latest firmware. Otherwise, video downlink may be unstable. Re-link the aircraft with the remote controller if they are disconnected.

• If you are updating via DJI GO 4, make sure you update the aircraft but only after restarting the updated remote controller. Otherwise, there will be an error in the progress bar of the aircraft update.

• Please note that firmware update may reset various Main Controller Settings, such as the RTH Altitude and Maximum Flight Distance,to factory defaults. Before the update, take note of your preferred DJI GO settings, and readjust them after the update to suit your preference.

This will allow you to refresh Aircraft Firmware v. 2.0.106 that is being corrupted during downloads and installations.  Carefully follow the instructions.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules