Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why did it crash
12Next >
3149 71 2017-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
virtualimagedes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 364826 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have flown my P4 over a year with over 4 million feet flow and upgraded to the Pro and 3rd flight it crashes. I had it just hovering over a basketball gym about 15 feet from roof top, I was filming my sons football game like I have done many times before with the P4 and all of a sudden it lost connection and next thing I know my screen went blank. I looked at the film from the SD card and the film just stops. I'm thinking something went bad or it just completely shut down on its on. Can't explain it and I do have the log on my phone and looked at it. Everything looks good. What do I need to do. Thnaks
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry for the crash, have you contacted the Support, then provide the log to the Support? If not, please refer to the link below to contact the Support. http://www.dji.com/support
2017-9-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Can you post your log to link below it might give you a better understanding of what happened. Just click on link and follow instructions come back and post here on your thread, some around might help.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-9-21
Use props
Donald O'Neil J
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Will do thanks
2017-9-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I'm not clear on what happened.  Did the FPV crash?  Or did your AC crash?  Did you land your AC safely?  Was it just a connection problem?  

If it was a connection problem, it could have been caused by the signal bouncing off the ceiling of the gym - causing fatal interference.  

If you landed safely and then turned off the AC, the video file would have been corrupted because the system lost power before it had a chance to write the EOF mark.  The end of the video will typically be well before it lost power due to the way it writes the file.  
2017-9-21
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Its a possible but it was fine for a bit. It looks like I'll have to wait to upload. I'm at work right now. Man this sucks, I have a golf event to do on Monday. I'll see what my insurance company does since I have coverage for all my camera equipment including drone
2017-9-21
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

What crashed the AC or the controller?
2017-9-21
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

The AC, the controller said Aircraft disconnected. I never had this problem before at the same area. I was hoping to see a bird or something in the frame but nothing. It wasn't far from me either. I'll upload the data when I get home tonight. But it all looks normal to me.
2017-9-21
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Donny O'Neil Jr Posted at 2017-9-21 04:51
Its a possible but it was fine for a bit. It looks like I'll have to wait to upload. I'm at work right now. Man this sucks, I have a golf event to do on Monday. I'll see what my insurance company does since I have coverage for all my camera equipment including drone

What kind of damage did the AC sustain?
2017-9-21
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Camera came off and will need a new body. I priced the body which will be $150 but I'm not sure about how to connect camera. It does power up like normal
2017-9-21
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/P5V1MY3NKGORKNND6DC5/#
2017-9-21
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Its weird because the footage and the drone both just stopped everything while hovering. Its the first time in over 4 million feet traveled that this happened to me. This was my 3rd or so flight with the Pro and was upgraded on both the remote and bird a few days before. I also flew it for a while over tons of metal cars. WTF. You think its even worth dealing with DJI support. Or should I just bite the bullet and buy another one. I'm at a fork right now
2017-9-21
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Here is a few pics. The gimbal is broke, the shell doesn't have any cracks but the legs are gone.

Shot 2

Shot 2

Shot 1

Shot 1
2017-9-21
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-21 03:44
Sorry for the crash, have you contacted the Support, then provide the log to the Support? If not, please refer to the link below to contact the Support. http://www.dji.com/support

I have the log posted but where exactly do I submit it to on DJI website.
2017-9-21
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Ok so I'm just throwing my son's game together and I captured the fall.
2017-9-21
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Donny O'Neil Jr Posted at 2017-9-21 17:06

You have already posted the link to the record back in post #11. I am no expert at analysing these flights, but it looks like a pretty normal, uneventful flight to me. No errors showing or anything.
2017-9-21
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Yeah I was just letting her know. I have never done this before so this is all new to me and I feel like maybe something in the firmware has caused this
2017-9-21
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

2017-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Video looks good, but why the audio loop?
I found that annoying, but that's just me. ;-)

Hope the repair isn't too costly.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-21
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

It was a loop in case someone missed it thats all. Well I'm not repairing it.
2017-9-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Donny O'Neil Jr Posted at 2017-9-21 16:42
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/P5V1MY3NKGORKNND6DC5/#

Unfortunately the flight record doesn't give any clues.
None of the usual suspects are obvious.
It shows you flying/hovering for 8 minutes and just ends with the Phantom stil up 32 ft higher than the launch point with plenty of battery and all sensors showing no indications of a problem.
Whatever caused the problem happened after 8:06.1.
DJI will be able to see more detailed info on the internal flight recorder, perhaps that will tell them more.

How high was the roof you were close to?

To start things with DJI, upload your flight record to their server by clicking the cloud icon, top right on the flight record page in the app.
Then go to DJI online support and start a chat with one of thei people to get things happening.
2017-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Donny O'Neil Jr Posted at 2017-9-21 18:06

Oh, I see.

Some music would have been more enticing. But it was ok.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-21
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Send in the flight logs/AC and get it analyzed.......you really have nothing to lose even if you get a new one.
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Donny O'Neil Jr Posted at 2017-9-21 17:06

Click the After-sale Service, you can contact the support team. Please tell us your case number once you have got it. We'd like to look into it.
Other Support Options.png
2017-9-21
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I think it would be to everyone's advantage if you did start a case with DJI so that they can find out what the cause was. This crash does not seem to have any indication of what went wrong and it would be nice to know. When you look at the actual flight in the DJO GO 4 flight records, is there anything unusual showing up?
2017-9-21
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I'm going to thanks, appreciate it Susan. The hill I was on was the starting point and was I'd say 10 -15 feet higher than the building. I know when I placed it there I wanted to be not over it and atleast 10 or more feet above it so I could be at a good view of the part of that part of the game. Awesome can't wait to see what they say caused it
2017-9-22
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Ok I upgraded to this drone and sold my P4 I bought this one on eBay. It only had a few flights. I think this may be a problem in trying to make a claim. Am I correct?
2017-9-22
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Donny O'Neil Jr Posted at 2017-9-22 09:23
Ok I upgraded to this drone and sold my P4 I bought this one on eBay. It only had a few flights. I think this may be a problem in trying to make a claim. Am I correct?

If it is still under warranty then I think it will be replaced since it doesn't appear to have landed as it should have, the aircraft logs from the internal memory will confirm if it was an aircraft fault or not.

Being a P4P it is almost certainly still under warranty.   If you are not the original owner then the warranty period will be based on the activation date.
2017-9-22
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-9-22 09:47
If it is still under warranty then I think it will be replaced since it doesn't appear to have landed as it should have, the aircraft logs from the internal memory will confirm if it was an aircraft fault or not.

Being a P4P it is almost certainly still under warranty.   If you are not the original owner then the warranty period will be based on the activation date.

Yeah he said its 2 months old
2017-9-22
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Hope I did this right. First time to ever make a claim on anything, this is all new to me
2017-9-22
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Update. They sent me over the repair report and I can't believe they aren't replacing it with the damage it had. I did call and they said it could be replaced but I would find out when it was shipped if it has a new serial number. Man the gimbal broke off and was bent. I hope they just replace it. Anyone had this happen where they just replaced it with a new one. I did ask and they would let me know what exactly caused it to crash later.
Screenshot 2017-10-04 14.41.05.png
2017-10-4
Use props
Edward John Smi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1852408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Donny O'Neil Jr Posted at 2017-10-4 11:45
Update. They sent me over the repair report and I can't believe they aren't replacing it with the damage it had. I did call and they said it could be replaced but I would find out when it was shipped if it has a new serial number. Man the gimbal broke off and was bent. I hope they just replace it. Anyone had this happen where they just replaced it with a new one. I did ask and they would let me know what exactly caused it to crash later.

I have sent my bird in twice and they have never sent me MY a/c back to me. In fact the a/c I got back the last time was older then the one I sent in for repair. I haven't heard of any one getting their original bird back from DJI repair.
2017-10-4
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Man I hope this doesn't happen. He said if I'm not happy with it I can ship it back to and they will replace it. I said just replace it now haha
2017-10-5
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Donny O'Neil Jr Posted at 2017-10-5 02:37
Man I hope this doesn't happen. He said if I'm not happy with it I can ship it back to and they will replace it. I said just replace it now haha

Don't worry about it, it should come back looking brand new even if it is the same one, they will replace what is damaged, but then probably send it to someone else!

That is a remarkably good repair price for a P4 Pro, good to see that they are only charging for the bits instead of complete modules.  Of course they are paying anyway but good to know for next time.

Since you are in the USA, check it carefully when it comes back, there have been a few issues with the quality of USA service.  Give it a few good test flights before you trust it to hover near people again.

2017-10-5
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Well I told them I don't know how they repaired the gimbal because it was broke and around the lens it was bent so it could't move. I don't see where that was fix on the report.
2017-10-5
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Thanks for updating us, it's always good to know how the process is going from beginning to end and everything in between.  
Hope it works out for you.  From everything I've seen and read it is very doubtful you'll get the original bird back.  Although you should know that some did not care for that because they didn't know the history of the bird.  There is no guarantee, as others have said, that you'll get a brand new bird.
2017-10-5
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I'm just hoping they let me know what exactly did it. Being by a gym shouldn't have done it and it really wasn't windy. I've flown all over metal high school bleachers with no issues and tall buildings. If it was something I did I don't mind saying it one bit but I do believe it was the firmware or some type of short.
2017-10-6
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Donny O'Neil Jr Posted at 2017-10-6 05:55
I'm just hoping they let me know what exactly did it. Being by a gym shouldn't have done it and it really wasn't windy. I've flown all over metal high school bleachers with no issues and tall buildings. If it was something I did I don't mind saying it one bit but I do believe it was the firmware or some type of short.

You are likely correct or they wouldn't be covering it under warranty
Doubt they are going to tell you exactly why, you will more likely get a rather vague explanation, my guess.
2017-10-6
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I get the P4P today. I did notice a different serial number on the ticket so I called and asked. They said I was getting a different one. I then went on to ask for the report to why it crashed. He said there wouldn't be one because its getting replace. Kinda sucks but whatever. Hopefully it won't be an older P4P than the 2 month old one I had.
2017-10-12
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Donny O'Neil Jr Posted at 2017-10-12 05:57
I get the P4P today. I did notice a different serial number on the ticket so I called and asked. They said I was getting a different one. I then went on to ask for the report to why it crashed. He said there wouldn't be one because its getting replace. Kinda sucks but whatever. Hopefully it won't be an older P4P than the 2 month old one I had.

Dude, you are fortunate that it is working out like it is...it will be a factory refurb i.e. good as new or it could be a NIB either way both will be much better than what you had
2017-10-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules