8935 17 2014-10-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pctomlins
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi guys
Problem outlined below
(computer – windows 7 professional – everything up to date. All latest firmware updates also uploaded to the phantom)

I bought the phantom 2 vision plus two weeks ago. Anyway took my first video and as I did not have a card reader (I have one on order but as of writing this I still have not had it) I hooked the phantom up to my computer. Trying to transfer the video clip (no problem at all with the photos) crashed my computer multiple times so I gave up and just thought it was a glitch. I took some more videos a week later (bad weather so no flying during the week) and this time because I’m using the DJI vision app on my iPad air I synched the phots via Wi-Fi from the micro SD card that came with the phantom to my iPad air. Again this was no problem. I could view the photos and the videos but because of the barrel distortion I needed to clean them up so I need to transfer them to my pc. I hooked the iPad air up to the pc but again trying to transfer the video files (MP4 format) it crashed my computer. The other option was to upload the videos to Dropbox. I eventually managed to transfer the videos to Dropbox but this took all night (size of video files in total around 300mb) and when I got up in the morning the dreaded BSOD (blue screen of Death) appeared on my computer. I rebooted, checked Dropbox, and found that the files had been uploaded, bar 1 file. It then took me some 10 hours to download them. When I eventually did I converted the MP4 to both avi and mpv format. The videos in avi format were badly pixilated so basically unwatchable. However in mkv format they were fine. The saga continues. I them tried to delete the MP4 files from my computer which again caused multiple crashes. After banging my head I stopped windows explorer and entered DOS mode from the command prompt. From here I eventually managed to delete them.
I could not watch the MP4 files at all on my pc with any of my video players
Some questions
1.        Has anyone else suffered from this?
2.        I’m thinking the same thing is going to happen when I get the card reader?

I can only think it is a codec problem (?) or they might be some DRM stopping me from copying the files though I do not see why this should be.

The obvious way forward is to
1.        Try another card (which I do not have at the moment)
2.        Try my new card reader which again as of writing this I do not have.

Anyone have any ideas
any help appreciated

thanks
2014-10-20
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.2

China

Do you have another computer? Please try it on a different computer.
2014-10-21
Use props
pctomlins
lvl.2

United Kingdom

thanks
that was my next step - i'm still waiting for a card reader. will let you know when i do this

thanks for the reply
2014-10-21
Use props
pctomlins
lvl.2

United Kingdom

pctomlins@hotma Posted at 2014-10-22 03:26
thanks
that was my next step - i'm still waiting for a card reader. will let you know when i do this ...

Update - tried the new card reader and new sc card but problem still persists. Banging my head at the moment
2014-10-28
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.2

China

pctomlins@hotma Posted at 2014-10-29 07:00
Update - tried the new card reader and new sc card but problem still persists. Banging my head at  ...

Did you tried a different computer? It seems a computer issue to me.
2014-10-28
Use props
insitb
lvl.3

Singapore

What application do you play the files in? Is it set to that exe by default or did you manually set it to be the default player?

FYI, I play my MP4 direct in Windows Media Player. As a simple viewer it works. This is Windows 8.
2014-10-28
Use props
pctomlins
lvl.2

United Kingdom

insitb@singnet. Posted at 2014-10-29 12:09
What application do you play the files in? Is it set to that exe by default or did you manually set  ...

hi guys
thanks for the replies
yes i've tried another computer, another card, another reader, different video players  etc. it works on two other computers i tried it on so it appears for the moment to be a problem with my pc. however i have downloaded a variety of MP4 files (different resolutions and formats) and do not have a problem playing them. the only files i can't play are the mp4 files from the phantom. it might be a win 7 explorer problem but i've carried out about 10 suggestions so far none have worked. apart from formatting my HD which i'm not going to do i'm stumped. however i can get the video files off because my video converter program has its own 'shell' which means it can see the files on the Sd card and convert them to another format - it just takes a lot longer. it's no good copying the files from another computer either because it's the actual files themselves my pc does not like. anyway i'm still battling away to find a solution.
thanks fro the replies
2014-10-31
Use props
djstansel
New

United States

pctomlins@hotma Posted at 2014-11-1 04:37
hi guys
thanks for the replies
yes i've tried another computer, another card, another reader, diff ...

Had mine about two weeks and only one video which would not work on my computer using a card reader.  Hooked the camera to my computer and bingo it worked and got the video to my computer.  my only issue was the samsung note 3 kept diconnecting the wifi.  Tried many things and finally it worked.  I am waiting for the wind in Texas to get below 5 mph as this is only my third flight coming up and the wind has been up to 20mph almost everyday.
2014-10-31
Use props
pctomlins
lvl.2

United Kingdom

djstansel@gmail Posted at 2014-11-1 07:37
Had mine about two weeks and only one video which would not work on my computer using a card reade ...

yeah
i got a workaround which is not too much trouble but it still bugs me at to why it doesn't transfer - my TV tells me it might be an audio codec problem?
and i was out today with it - first time in 3 weeks the weathers been fine (excluding time at work and it gets dark early these days). still when your not flying there's plenty to read!
2014-11-1
Use props
pctomlins
lvl.2

United Kingdom

pctomlins@hotma Posted at 2014-11-2 02:45
yeah
i got a workaround which is not too much trouble but it still bugs me at to why it doesn't tr ...

hi guys
update on the problem. it still exists but not causing me to much grief. however I was out a couple of weeks ago taking photos in jpg mode. when I got home I noticed that the camera had taken the same picture twice - once in jpg mode and also in RAW mode. I contacted support to ask if this was even possible - I thought you could only take a picture in one or the other format. apparently it's not possible so it points to a problem with the camera. I contacted support but at the moment it's a bit of an uphill struggle to get an intelligent response. still - here's hoping. I posted this in case anyone else had the same problem
2014-12-2
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

When you select RAW it takes both RAW (DNG) and JPEG photos.
All this is explained In the manual.
Check your app settings to see what photo and video settings are saved.
2014-12-2
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

I got one of these very early on and just download the photos and videos straight into the computer via usb port.  Only 6 euros.

http://www.studiosport.fr/lecteur-cartes-memoires-usb-p-491.html
2014-12-2
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Wow, it's been years since I bought a computer that didn't have a card reader built in; just exactly how old is your computer and what processor is in it?  One of my systems is an intel quad-core with dual boot Windows Vista pro and windows 7 and it sometimes has problems with playing my Phantom files -- so I got an i7 and haven't had a problem since.  
Oh, almost forgot!  Get rid of that crappy $4.00 class 4 card that comes with the camera (DJI, have you no shame?) and get a decent class 10 card!  Cyber monday sales are still going on in lots of places.  For the next 12 hours you can pick up some 32Gb class 10 cards for $9.99 from  woot.com
2014-12-2
Use props
Jeff212
New

United States

Always format your sd cards after you transfer files to computer, if you just delete them you can get corrupt files when you record over deleted files... As a photographer, I have in the past lost very important files that were corrupt because I did not format the sd cards all the time.  With the vision plus, I had many corrupt video files that made me lose some great videos and then it dawned on me that I was not formatting my micro sd cards like I do with my DSLR cards.....  Formatting regularly will limit your headaches....
2014-12-2
Use props
pctomlins
lvl.2

United Kingdom

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-12-2 21:50
When you select RAW it takes both RAW (DNG) and JPEG photos.
All this is explained In the manual.
Ch ...

thanks for pointing that out
I did get in touch with support who implied that it should not take the picture in both formats. I'm pretty sure I was in jpg mode but would not swear on it
thanks for your input
2014-12-5
Use props
pctomlins
lvl.2

United Kingdom

talk2t_c Posted at 2014-12-2 22:18
I got one of these very early on and just download the photos and videos straight into the computer  ...

hi
yes - I'm using one of these. I bought one after uploading the movies from the quad and it started crashing windows explorer. I had the same problem. I also used my son in laws reader and had the same problem
2014-12-5
Use props
pctomlins
lvl.2

United Kingdom

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-12-3 00:37
Wow, it's been years since I bought a computer that didn't have a card reader built in; just exactly ...

yes I have got a built in card reader - it just does not work. I have bought a new one.
I have a top of the range pc - well it was 2 years ago when I bought it - which is why I am querying the problem I'm having.
thanks for the reply
2014-12-5
Use props
pctomlins
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Jeff212 Posted at 2014-12-3 02:18
Always format your sd cards after you transfer files to computer, if you just delete them you can ge ...

hi
at the moment I can't delete anything from the card from the computer - it crashes windows explorer. the only option I have is to reformat it every time which, as you say, is a good thing. the file system is always compatible with the software of the camera.
thanks
2014-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules