5810 12 2017-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Supercaliber
lvl.1
Flight distance : 249364 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have 4 DJI drones. Inspire 1 v.2, Phantom 4 pro, Mavic Pro, and the Spark..My Mavic flies longer and farther with much better reception (video telemetry) than either my I1 and P4P.. both Lightbridge drones have picture breakup and disconnection problems compared to my  Mavic. I feel most comfortable flying my Mavic and Spark than the other more expensive drones. Anybody feel the same about these 2 different technologies?  I really think the Occusync is superior..
2017-9-22
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Agreed.   My Mavic flies way farther without any video breakup as compared to my P4.   So much so that I was beginning to wonder if my P4 had a broken antenna or something.
2017-9-22
Use props
Drshiwas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 892339 ft
Spain

I have P4 and some time ago i try to fly as i thought an open area but have poor range and image problems, but then i try to fly from top of the hill and succeeded up to 5km in range. so i think it only depends on how you holding your controller and where your antennas pointed at.
2017-9-22
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't own a Mavic, so I cannot comment on Occusync.  

However, in 5.8 GHz Auto HD Lightbridge connection mode, I can consistently fly my P4Pro out as far as 25,000 feet maximum distance from RC with no video issues and no loss of control as long as there is clear signal line of sight between the RC (with an inexpensive parabolic reflector behind the upright antenna) and the P4Pro.  I just flew a 21,495 feet max distance flight and a 25,283 feet max distance flight back to back this past weekend over flat open rural landscape.  With P4Pro at max distance on both these flights I still had 4 bars each of RC and HD signal strength showing on the DJI GO 4 app. Max distance of P4Pro in 5.8 GHz mode was limited only due to remaining battery life.

25,000 feet max distance is about the limit on my P4Pro with a high-capacity battery on a windless day with battery level at 3% on return landing. I have definitely found 5.8 GHz HD mode superior to 2.4 GHz HD mode on the P4Pro both in urban and rural flying environments. I rarely see any signal interference on any channel on the channel signal interference chart on the HD tab in 5.8 GHz mode while there is minor to major signal interference activity indicated on almost every 2.4 GHz channel, especially in urban areas.

25,283 Feet Max Distance from Home Point Flight - P4Pro in 5.8 GHz HD Mode

25,283 Feet Max Distance from Home Point Flight - P4Pro in 5.8 GHz HD Mode
2017-9-22
Use props
Pardal-Voador
lvl.2
Flight distance : 989281 ft
Brazil

I had a Phantom 4 standard during 6 months and I had longer flights (5km - no issues).

Now I have a Phantom 4 Advanced (with Lightbridge upgrade) and I can't fly more than 2km, terrible video transmission. I have tried a location with no interference and when the aircraft was 2 km away, the video has gone.

Important: I'm flying in the same location than Phantom 4 std.

I'd like to know where DJI flies 7km away without issues.
2017-9-22
Use props
Supercaliber
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-9-22 06:50
I don't own a Mavic, so I cannot comment on Occusync.  

However, in 5.8 GHz Auto HD Lightbridge connection mode, I can consistently fly my P4Pro out as far as 25,000 feet maximum distance from RC with no video issues and no loss of control as long as there is clear signal line of sight between the RC (with an inexpensive parabolic reflector behind the upright antenna) and the P4Pro.  I just flew a 21,495 feet max distance flight and a 25,283 feet max distance flight back to back this past weekend over flat open rural landscape.  With P4Pro at max distance on both these flights I still had 4 bars each of RC and HD signal strength showing on the DJI GO 4 app. Max distance of P4Pro in 5.8 GHz mode was limited only due to remaining battery life.

Ok, 5.8Ghz, thats really interesting..with clear line of sight your getting 5+ miles..I've always believed that 5.8GHz didn't help with distance as it does with 2.4..How about more dense terrain?..Are you getting video issues?..The problem I have with all this is that Ocusync seems much more reliable for transmission/connection than Lightbridge..My Mavic stays "locked" solid (in 2.4) until about the 2.5 mile mark in my area then it gently starts to flicker, if that makes sense..I've never disconnected from my Mavic completely but have with both I1 and P4P..I have little trust with both..Theres no doubt in my mind that Ocusync is a better technology.
2017-9-22
Use props
Supercaliber
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Pardal-Voador Posted at 2017-9-22 08:10
I had a Phantom 4 standard during 6 months and I had longer flights (5km - no issues).

Now I have a Phantom 4 Advanced (with Lightbridge upgrade) and I can't fly more than 2km, terrible video transmission. I have tried a location with no interference and when the aircraft was 2 km away, the video has gone.

Thats unbelievable!..Should be the other way around!..Even contacting DJI seems fruitless but you never know..It just frustrates me when DJI does these things behind our backs..
2017-9-22
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Pardal-Voador Posted at 2017-9-22 08:10

" ... I'd like to know where DJI flies 7km away without issues ..."

I - for change - would like to know why the speedometer in my utility vehicle is scaled up to 220km/hr ...
2017-9-22
Use props
Pardal-Voador
lvl.2
Flight distance : 989281 ft
Brazil

Supercaliber Posted at 2017-9-22 09:44
Thats unbelievable!..Should be the other way around!..Even contacting DJI seems fruitless but you never know..It just frustrates me when DJI does these things behind our backs..

Yes...

It just frustrates me too..

Solution?! There is, I'll sell my P4 ADV and buy a mavic!

I don't recommend anybody to buy a P4 ADV.
2017-9-22
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Pardal-Voador Posted at 2017-9-22 10:48
Yes...

It just frustrates me too..

Was just flying to check my animals and then thought I should test the distance and I'm sure the Mavic will go past the 4000 m in CE mode as Dji say.
Fly log
2017-9-22
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Supercaliber Posted at 2017-9-22 09:41
Ok, 5.8Ghz, thats really interesting..with clear line of sight your getting 5+ miles..I've always believed that 5.8GHz didn't help with distance as it does with 2.4..How about more dense terrain?..Are you getting video issues?..The problem I have with all this is that Ocusync seems much more reliable for transmission/connection than Lightbridge..My Mavic stays "locked" solid (in 2.4) until about the 2.5 mile mark in my area then it gently starts to flicker, if that makes sense..I've never disconnected from my Mavic completely but have with both I1 and P4P..I have little trust with both..Theres no doubt in my mind that Ocusync is a better technology.

Unfortunately there was some incorrect information disseminated on this forum about 5.8 GHz not being useful at long distances. That is completely bogus.  In rural areas with little to no signal interference and no signal line-of-sight obstructions (trees, buildings, etc.) both 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz frequencies are solid at distances up to 4+ miles. In more urban areas, I have difficulty getting past 8,000 feet in 2.4 GHz mode due to interference from WiFi routers, baby monitors, wireless phones, etc. on almost all available 2.4 GHz channels. But I have successfully flown 20,000+ feet following green belts between neighborhoods with thousands of homes in 5.8 GHz mode. Apparently, 5.8 GHz internet routers either don't penetrate roofs or they are very limited in range, so they don't interfere with the P4Pro in 5.8 GHz mode at elevations of 150+ feet AGL.  I rarely see ANY signal interference on ANY of the 32 available 5.8 GHz channels on the Signal Interfernce chart on the HD tab of the DJI GO 4 app and that allows me to safely choose AUTO channel mode in 5.8 GHz mode. This use of AUTO 5.8 GHz HD mode has the added benefit of providing the highest resolution, highest bit-rate Live video transmission between the P4Pro and the RC.  In 2.4 GHz mode, unfortunately, for long-distance flying it is essential to choose a manual channel with the lowest interference signal activity as indicated on the signal level chart in the HD tab AND also to choose the lowest (4 Mbps) signal transmission rate.

With regard to foilage penetration, in my experience, at distances greater than 3,000 feet, even a single tree hundreds of yards away in the signal line-of-sight can cause loss of signal in either 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz HD mode.

For successful long distance flights you MUST keep your antenna upright, parallel to one another with wide, flat sides aimed precisely at the distant aircraft. Even a momentary tilt in RC position towards the ground because your hands got tired can sever the signal connection. Make sure you set your RTH height above the highest possible landscape item in the return flight path - that includes cell towers.

Also, an inexpensive aluminum parabolic refector (I use $30 Windsurfer type) is HIGHLY recommended for maintaining 4-5 bars RC and HD signal strength out to 25,000 feet distances. No fancy, expensive, warranty-voiding antenna mods are required to your RC.  These antenna mods could possibly provide better foilage penetration, but are unneeded for obstruction-free long-distance flying.  
2017-9-23
Use props
Supercaliber
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-9-23 08:43
Unfortunately there was some incorrect information disseminated on this forum about 5.8 GHz not being useful at long distances. That is completely bogus.  In rural areas with little to no signal interference and no signal line-of-sight obstructions (trees, buildings, etc.) both 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz frequencies are solid at distances up to 4+ miles. In more urban areas, I have difficulty getting past 8,000 feet in 2.4 GHz mode due to interference from WiFi routers, baby monitors, wireless phones, etc. on almost all available 2.4 GHz channels. But I have successfully flown 20,000+ feet following green belts between neighborhoods with thousands of homes in 5.8 GHz mode. Apparently, 5.8 GHz internet routers either don't penetrate roofs or they are very limited in range, so they don't interfere with the P4Pro in 5.8 GHz mode at elevations of 150+ feet AGL.  I rarely see ANY signal interference on ANY of the 32 available 5.8 GHz channels on the Signal Interfernce chart on the HD tab of the DJI GO 4 app and that allows me to safely choose AUTO channel mode in 5.8 GHz mode. This use of AUTO 5.8 GHz HD mode has the added benefit of providing the highest resolution, highest bit-rate Live video transmission between the P4Pro and the RC.  In 2.4 GHz mode, unfortunately, for long-distance flying it is essential to choose a manual channel with the lowest interference signal activity as indicated on the signal level chart in the HD tab AND also to choose the lowest (4 Mbps) signal transmission rate.

With regard to foilage penetration, in my experience, at distances greater than 3,000 feet, even a single tree hundreds of yards away in the signal line-of-sight can cause loss of signal in either 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz HD mode.

Excellent post..Sounds too simple to be true, but it is..Well I can still say my Mavic hooks up better and stays hooked up, than either my P4P or I1v.2..regardless of freq. used..The Lightbridge technology is fading fast and either needs upgrading or cancel it out,,My bet says the next generation DJI drones are all using Ocusync or something new, but not Lightbridge..
2017-9-23
Use props
cthetoy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 656703 ft
United States

I can fly the P4P further than my Mavic in semi busy area. Auto 5.8Mhz on a P4P has better range than the Mavic Pro. 2.5 miles each way  (4km) on my p4p and 1.25 miles (2KM) on my Mavic Pro.

If anyone know how to force 5Ghz on a Mavic that will help the range.

At least in the US (FCC) the 5.8 and 2.4 Ghz on the p4p has equal range than the Europe (CE) flyers
2017-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules