1145 19 2017-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Noticed that the compass needle on screen is off by about 30degrees when my OTG is plugged in.
(Everything up to date and on iphone6s+)
Tried to calibrate with no positive result. Once I unplugged the OTG the heading was accurate again. Any ideas?
2017-9-22
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Sparky is pointing directly at me.
IMG_3832.PNG
2017-9-22
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rawsome Posted at 2017-9-22 10:33

Firstly, thats out by over 90 degrees, not 30. You may also want to check your altitude and range limitations as using an OTG now sets the max distance to 100m and altitude to 50m...
Bottom line is NOT to use an OTG with the Spark anymore as it's totally unsupported by DJI. The good news is that you can manually switch frequency bands before take off from 5.8 to 2.4 and the WiFi connectivity from the iPhone to the RC has greatly improved with the latest GO 4 and firmware updates.  
2017-9-22
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Sorry yes more like 90.
No range limitations on the newest version during flight. How ever I do suspect the OTG to be the culprit as the compass showed normal heading with out it.
Could it be the rotation of the phone as it is 90degrees turned when in the RC?
2017-9-22
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

ACW Posted at 2017-9-22 11:41
Firstly, thats out by over 90 degrees, not 30. You may also want to check your altitude and range limitations as using an OTG now sets the max distance to 100m and altitude to 50m...
Bottom line is NOT to use an OTG with the Spark anymore as it's totally unsupported by DJI. The good news is that you can manually switch frequency bands before take off from 5.8 to 2.4 and the WiFi connectivity from the iPhone to the RC has greatly improved with the latest GO 4 and firmware updates.

Before the dji go update , you already could change ghz manually by chosing a channel,so on this point not much has changed. I think when new fw comes (i hope) you only have to push the 2.4 ghz , so without chosing channel
2017-9-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Rawsome Posted at 2017-9-22 12:01
Sorry yes more like 90.
No range limitations on the newest version during flight. How ever I do suspect the OTG to be the culprit as the compass showed normal heading with out it.
Could it be the rotation of the phone as it is 90degrees turned when in the RC?

Just to clarify, this only happens when you're using an OTG cable and not when it's connected to the WiFi as intended?
2017-9-22
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Jamie - yes just with the OTG. Once unplugged, the heading is normal again.
2017-9-22
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

What does the sceenshot prove?
Which way are you facing?
As the spark is facing 265 degrees West, you must be facing 85 degrees East?
How do I see if that is not so?

The home point appears to be about 1,5 meter in front of you, but I can’t see if the arrow points at it, because it’s almost on the top of it.
2017-9-22
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

ACW Posted at 2017-9-22 11:41

Where did you find this absolutely wrong information about range limitation with OTG?
Gosh, sometimes one can find really funny stories in this forum...
2017-9-23
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-23 00:00
Where did you find this absolutely wrong information about range limitation with OTG?

I 'found it' in my GO 4 App V.11 on my iPhone 7+ on iOS-11 when linked to my RC with an OTG adaptor and my Spark... Thats where - link it all up with the OTG and check your settings... May be that will take the smile off of your face!
2017-9-23
Use props
fansb8d59c7f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38209 ft
United States

Yep , it's true . You are now limited to 50 meters when using a OTG cable. This stinks but did just try it out on both my spars using my Iphone 7 plus and Ipad mini 4.
2017-9-23
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansb8d59c7f Posted at 2017-9-23 00:47
Yep , it's true . You are now limited to 50 meters when using a OTG cable. This stinks but did just try it out on both my spars using my Iphone 7 plus and Ipad mini 4.

It's true alright - guess some people on here think they know it all eh!
2017-9-23
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-23 00:00

This is the funniest story...
2017-9-23
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Romania

They snuck that in the last update, no more OTG can only use it flying indoors LOL
2017-9-23
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rawsome Posted at 2017-9-22 10:33

my guess is its related more to the cable in use..  here is my logic on this, its using your phone's compass to get your direction relative to the direction of your aircraft, you said this vanishes pretty much moment you pull cable..

try this.. use wifi to connect to the RC get it up[ and running as you are in the pix, then plug the cable into the RC and phone.. if my theory is right about the cable itself causing it the compass should go out of whack again without even using it to connect via OTG (only power being sent).  if that causes it what is happening more then likely is you are creating some induction loop or something where the cable is creating its own weak magnetic field..

to further confirm this use an compass app switch to compass app without cable plugged into the RC just on wifi.. then plug cable in, and watch it rotate 90 degrees..
2017-9-23
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Heliman- it proves spark is pointing directly at me, I am pointing directly at spark, yet the compass is off by 90 degrees.
As to the limitations on the otg I can't account for that on iOS as there simply weren't any for me.
Hereforthebee - I will conduct a few tests and report back, thanks for hint.
2017-9-23
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

I could not see that the little black ring on the radar says H(ome) and not N(orth).
My mistake.
2017-9-23
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Here you will find the results of my today's test flight (made for some of the "great experts" here): https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 948&fromuid=1025012

P.S. My compass has also worked perfectly with OTG. Very strange, I must be doing something "wrong"
2017-9-23
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-23 11:12
Here you will find the results of my today's test flight (made for some of the "great experts" here): https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 948&fromuid=1025012

P.S. My compass has also worked perfectly with OTG. Very strange, I must be doing something "wrong"

Clearly with an android device - obviously not expert enough to realise that the range limitation is with IOS, as clearly stated.
2017-9-23
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

As always, it is not recommended to use the OTG cable. Anyway, for this issue, I would recommend you try to calibrate the compass of your phone, see if it will be better.
2017-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules