Osmo Mobile with iPhone 8 plus
36100 62 2017-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thobasse
New

Hey,

I got an iPhone 8 Plus recently and decided to buy a DJI Osmo Mobile  to test the two together.

I have tried the following:
* handheld and stock camera app
* osmo mobile and DJI Go
* osmo mobile and Flimic Pro with stabilization off
* osmo mobile and Flimic Pro with stabilization on

All shot in 4K 60fps (30 fps using DJI Go) and edited using iMovie. You can find the video here:

Since it's my first gimbal/stabilizer, I am not sure what to expect! Using the Osmo Mobile the video is obviously way less shaky than when I hold the phone with my hand, but on the last 20 seconds we can still see some jiggle. Can somebody tell me if that's expected or if it's way too much and wouldn't happen with a lighter mobile?

Thanks!
2017-11-2
Use props
mgfx
New
United States

thobasse Posted at 2017-11-2 07:31
Hey,

I got an iPhone 8 Plus recently and decided to buy a DJI Osmo Mobile  to test the two together.

From Filmic Pro manual:
Image Stabilization: Enable this when capturing footage hand held for more steady footage. If you are using a tripod or stabilizing gimbal turn this off.

2017-11-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hey,

I think this video will help you to improve the shooting experience, please check it out.
2017-11-2
Use props
SprayingMango
New

United States

I have been having problems with bluetooth and my iPhone X with Osmo Mobile. I called DJI support and they stated that their engineers say "The bluetooth chip in iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X is not compatible with Osmo Mobile."

Can I just use the Oslo without the DJI GO app and capture directly to the phone using the iPhone Camera App? Anyone know if what DJI Support told me is true?
2017-11-22
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

SprayingMango Posted at 2017-11-22 15:00
I have been having problems with bluetooth and my iPhone X with Osmo Mobile. I called DJI support and they stated that their engineers say "The bluetooth chip in iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X is not compatible with Osmo Mobile."

Can I just use the Oslo without the DJI GO app and capture directly to the phone using the iPhone Camera App? Anyone know if what DJI Support told me is true?

Don't think that is true, I have the new iPhone x and it works fine.
2017-11-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

SprayingMango Posted at 2017-11-22 15:00

To be precise, the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 plus and iPhone X are new-released products and the compatibility hasn't been fully tested.
I have replied your own thread for a simple troubleshooting, please check it out.
For your second question, sure it can just a stabilizer of your iPhone, you can use the Camera APP for shooting, but if you don't connect to Bluetooth, the function buttons in Osmo Mobile handle would be useless.
2017-11-22
Use props
fans20fea7e7
New
United Kingdom

Osmo Mobile & iPhone 8 Plus.

I received my Osmo Mobile yesterday and i have the iPhone 8 Plus, the Osmo Mobile has balancing issues with the iPhone 8 Plus, with the roll arm fully extended the gimbal is unbalanced and by quite a lot, the roll arm tips to the left.

When the Osmo mobile is turned on it does hold the phone in position and it will work but not to its full capabilities (iPhone 6+ has no problems) due to the gimbal being unbalanced it will have a significant impact on the battery life.

Forget about using the Rode external mic
if you will be using the iPhone 8+ with the Osmo Mobile, you have to use a lightning to 3.5mm jack adapter (Which is supplied with the iPhone 8+) which plugs into the iPhone's charge port in the bottom of the phone, this means you would have to have the iPhone sticking out a further 10 - 15mm to the left adding to the already unbalanced state.

currently trying to think of a workaround but i dont think its possible, stick to the iPhone 8, iPhone 7, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6 and below (not the iPhone 7/8 plus if your thinking of using a Rhode external mic)

2017-11-28
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116165 ft
United States

I just bought an iPhone 8 Plus and Osmo Mobile. I tested it last night for only a few minutes and thought it balanced and worked fine. I will be doing more testing today, but unfortunately I am leaning toward returning the Osmo because the DJI Go App doesn't allow me to film 4k @ 60fps. I found this thread: https://forum.dji.com/thread-63766-1-1.html and over a year ago DJI said they were developing it. If it has been a year and its still not out, I think I'll return it and wait DJI to allow me to use the full potential of my phone.
2017-11-28
Use props
Pat Malone
New
Flight distance : 72943 ft
Australia

My Osmo arrived today and while I had a little trouble balancing it (another .5mm on the balance adjuster would be good)  i had more trouble getting the device to recognize the phone was in the cradle.
I mounted my (now redundant) 6+ and it connected up no problem.
After some reading on this forum, Google and YT I find the glass back on the 8+ could be the problem .
I put some tape on the back of the phone to create a contrast and Bingo, it was all sorted.
Some people suggested placing tape over the sensor but i was reluctant to block the sensor, its also a bit fiddly.  The tape can stay on the phone and will be covered by the case.

Now i just need get the GoPro set up like some guys on YT are doing.
2017-11-30
Use props
fans4af367d8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2723 ft
Canada

Hey,

I think it's a problem because of the OIS of the 7+ that fights to "stabilize" in the same time as the gimbal
2017-11-30
Use props
ampand
lvl.2
Flight distance : 231381 ft
  • >>>
Austria

sTcA Posted at 2017-9-25 09:51
so, did anybody out there personally tested this combination (OsmoMobile+Iphone8plus) ?

tells me too that it is out of balance (iphone 8plus) ... how about counterwights?
2017-12-9
Use props
ampand
lvl.2
Flight distance : 231381 ft
  • >>>
Austria

fans85367c81 Posted at 2017-9-29 18:15
Why did you say it was a mess? Was the iPhone 8 plus too heavy? I am reluctant to get the 8 plus for that very reason.

I really don't want to get the iPhone X because of the lack of a fingerprint scanner but may have to because it is smaller.

same issues with the iphone 8 plus ... balancing does not work
2017-12-9
Use props
fans594b4091
New
United States

It is very bad to use with iPhone 8 Plus because it could not balance.
2017-12-12
Use props
jemsmark
New

India

Here Gimbals list for iPhone X: https://www.howtoisolve.com/best-gimbals-iphone/
2017-12-20
Use props
Lindert
lvl.1
Belgium

I have my Osmo mobile for a few weeks now and I haven't encountered  any problems. When balancing it doesn't tilt to the right or left. The only problem I seem to have is that when balancing (when the power is still off) the screen of my phone faces down instead of to the front, but I don't think that's such a big deal.
2017-12-20
Use props
Zeek Rock
New

Canada

When I use my iPhone 7 plus the Osomo gets so hot that you can touch it. This doesn't happen with a lighter phone. Anyone else experience this?
2018-5-11
Use props
Herblopez71
New

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-28 23:38
Toffi, sorry that we are still waiting for the iPhone 8 to test.
Did you balance the gimbal before power on? As far as I know, the iPhone 8 plus can balance with our Osmo Mobile, please don't put any case.

It doesn't work, we are well into 2018 and there still isn't a fix for the 8 what a waste of my money
2018-6-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Herblopez71 Posted at 2018-6-4 21:44
It doesn't work, we are well into 2018 and there still isn't a fix for the 8 what a waste of my money

iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X have been compatible with Osmo Mobile series device, may I know what is the current problem with the device? More details would be appreciated.
2018-6-5
Use props
Vyacheslav Ka
lvl.1
Flight distance : 207556 ft
Russia

I just purchased Osmo Mobile head (Zenmuse M1) to replace the standard one from Osmo+, which form-factor I did not like too much due tonpersonal preferences. As I understand, M1 head is absolutely equal to the original Osmo Mobile.

As a result, my M1 is not capable to work correctly with my iPhone 8 Plus. The problem is permanently drifting horizont, which I’m not able to fix by inputing appropriate manual corrections in DJI GO app, neigher to apply auto-correction. Initially, I was thinking that it’s kind of “normal” behaviour of my M1, because I have some experience with Phantom, where the gimble time to time is also loosing the horizont. Here, in M1 I was trying to manually correct the horizont by setting something like -1.4...-1.7, but as soon as I was starting to continuously using and filming with 8 Plus, initially corrected horizont was drifting again right after 1-2 minutes of usage or in case of significant movements of the gimble. Also, I was feeling strong enough noise and vibration from one of the gimble motors. Of course, the gimble leg was extended to its possible maximum. Auto calibration did not help at all, as  the gimble hirizont was drifting again and again.

Being in 1 step to finally decide to throw the gimble away, I decided to check it with my iPhone SE, which is significantly lighter and smaller than 8 Plus. What was a surprise when after inserting SE into M1 I’ve got absolutely stable and perfectly working gimble! The only one problem is I want to use iPhone 8 Plus instead as logically its camera is much better than the one from SE. Moreover, most probably  SE will go to the garbage bin in the nearest future. Will be a pity in case newly purchased M1 will follow it due to the fact it does not want to work correctly with new Plus phones...
I can’t also underline that I’m a bit disappointed due to the fact that nobody officially mentions at least about potential problems, giving a final choice to the customer under his own responsibility, neighter DJI, neither Apple. Instead all says that it works fine together )) Not a big deal, as I still like DJI themselves for their drones and technological progress moved to the wide range of the people, but...
2018-6-13
Use props
Vyacheslav Ka
lvl.1
Flight distance : 207556 ft
Russia

UPD: just checked Apple web store. They removed 8 Plus from the list of compatible devices, as well as 8 small and X. So, now there is now way for DJI to insist on the compatibility with 8 and 10 series.
2018-6-13
Use props
FlyingFish82
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3662503 ft
  • >>>
United States

works great, and the footage comes sweet!
2018-7-5
Use props
FlyingFish82
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3662503 ft
  • >>>
United States

works great, and the footage comes sweet!
2018-7-5
Use props
Windfred
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

My iPhone 8 plus in a otter box symmetry case fits in the Osmo Mobile 2 clamp much better since I pulled the two rubber pads off and flipped them around.
2018-7-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules