36101 62 2017-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cougar1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Will iPhone 8 plus work with Osmo Mobile?  iPhone 8 plus seems to be a bit heavy on the camera side, and some suggest it will not balance with Osmo Mobile?
2017-9-23
Use props
Aradise
New
United States

It works great, no issues.
2017-9-23
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Aradise Posted at 2017-9-23 11:54
It works great, no issues.

Thank you for the confirmation that it works fine.
2017-9-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Our engineers will test the compatibility once we get iPhone 8. will keep you updated.
2017-9-24
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-24 04:41
Our engineers will test the compatibility once we get iPhone 8. will keep you updated.

Thank you Mindy, also have the same question regarding the upcoming iPhone X, especially how DJI will manage the "notch" on the display so it does not interfere with menus etc. in the Go App.
2017-9-24
Use props
Maxam1111on
New
United Kingdom

Hi DJI Mindy, with the 8 the Osmo Mobile only just balances using the maximum width possible.

If I keep the iPhone 8 in the silicone case it does not balance.

Have you had any experience adding counterbalances to the right arm of the Osmo to fully balance the phone?

2017-9-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Maxam1111on Posted at 2017-9-24 10:13
Hi DJI Mindy, with the 8 the Osmo Mobile only just balances using the maximum width possible.

If I keep the iPhone 8 in the silicone case it does not balance.

We don't suggest to mount mobile device to Osmo Mobile with any case especially iPhone 7/8 plus, the size is too big to keep balance. Besides, the sensor may be affected if you put in case.
We will keep improving our product to make it compatible with more mobile devices, thank you for your understanding.
2017-9-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-9-24 05:09
Thank you Mindy, also have the same question regarding the upcoming iPhone X, especially how DJI will manage the "notch" on the display so it does not interfere with menus etc. in the Go App.

Well, that is quite a challenge, hope our engineers will work it out.
2017-9-25
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
Flight distance : 955587 ft
  • >>>
United States

Moondog labs make a counterweight. Some people tape pennies to the arm.... link
2017-9-25
Use props
sTcA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48691 ft
France

so, did anybody out there personally tested this combination (OsmoMobile+Iphone8plus) ?
2017-9-25
Use props
sTcA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48691 ft
France

looking forward...
2017-9-25
Use props
Toffi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 432037 ft
Germany

I tested it a few minutes ago and it worked only sometimes.
The dji go app told me to restart the device again and put it in the correct position (there was a picture how to install the smartphone in the Osmo Mobile).
U tried that many times and it just stabilized some times. Most times it did not stabilize :-(
Maybe you guys could tell me how you did it in another way than I did, otherwise I have to sell it because it’s worthless then...
2017-9-28
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Toffi Posted at 2017-9-28 09:12
The dji go app told me to restart the device again and put it in the correct position (there was a picture how to install the smartphone in the Osmo Mobile).
U tried that many times and it just stabilized some times. Most times it did not stabilize :-(

Thank you for the data point. Yes I am concerned when Apple (or other manufacturer) comes out with new models, if they have shifted the weight balance, it could be hard to balance the phone. Especially with a big phone like the iPhone 8+, where there is no more room to move it.
2017-9-28
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

I use iphone 6plus and ios 11.0.1 the DJI Go 3.1.15 crashes very often. Cannot do selfie, the screen becomes black.
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Toffi Posted at 2017-9-28 09:12

Toffi, sorry that we are still waiting for the iPhone 8 to test.
Did you balance the gimbal before power on? As far as I know, the iPhone 8 plus can balance with our Osmo Mobile, please don't put any case.
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Supong Posted at 2017-9-28 13:36
I use iphone 6plus and ios 11.0.1 the DJI Go 3.1.15 crashes very often. Cannot do selfie, the screen becomes black.

Have you tried to reinstall DJI Go.
Please try other mobile device to see it the problem persists. Or this issue only happens with iOS 11? Appreciate your time to do the troubleshooting.
2017-9-28
Use props
Aradise
New
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-9-23 14:00
Thank you for the confirmation that it works fine.

After shooting today, I retract my statements. It was a mess!
2017-9-29
Use props
fans85367c81
New

United States

Why did you say it was a mess? Was the iPhone 8 plus too heavy? I am reluctant to get the 8 plus for that very reason.

I really don't want to get the iPhone X because of the lack of a fingerprint scanner but may have to because it is smaller.

If there are any others who can comment on 8 plus that would be great!
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans85367c81 Posted at 2017-9-29 18:15
Why did you say it was a mess? Was the iPhone 8 plus too heavy? I am reluctant to get the 8 plus for that very reason.

I really don't want to get the iPhone X because of the lack of a fingerprint scanner but may have to because it is smaller.

Aradise has started a new thread, we are troubleshooting, please check here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-114908-1-1.html
2017-9-29
Use props
Toffi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 432037 ft
Germany

It is no mess! I got the solution now.
The problem why I did not work the first time I tried it, was because the osmo did not recognize that there was a smartphone, because the iPhone 8 Plus (and also just iPhone 8) has a glass finish on the back and I guess the sensor do not work then, so I just used a piece of paper and I attached that to the back of my phone so it did work then!!
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Toffi Posted at 2017-9-29 23:36
It is no mess! I got the solution now.
The problem why I did not work the first time I tried it, was because the osmo did not recognize that there was a smartphone, because the iPhone 8 Plus (and also just iPhone 8) has a glass finish on the back and I guess the sensor do not work then, so I just used a piece of paper and I attached that to the back of my phone so it did work then!!

Glad to hear that, you can also try to close the ''Mobile Device Check'' in Gimbal Settings.
2017-9-30
Use props
Esther
New
Germany

Hey guys, just got my new iphone 8plus a few days ago and and my new osmo mobile yesterday and am starting to test it both.

For me the 8plus was an extreme jump from my old iphone 5 and I waited for the key launch. When deciding for the 8+ I was fully aware of the upcoming possible problems concerning the jiggle with the osmo mobile after having read the threads in the forum here about the 7+ but wanted to give it a try nevertheless.

As a former airline pilot I am technically not completely untalented, but as a 46 year old blonde unexperienced photographer/filmer my gadgets still need to fullfill some standards in private:

- I want them to functionate without studying instrucions for too long or if possible at all
- I need them to be durable and easy to carry
- they shoul be a joy optically, haptically and functionally

as for now both - the 8+ and the osmo - fullfill all of the above basic features

concerning filming I do not intend to ninja walk a lot and also want to use the iphone/osmo combination for horseriding and -filming. Though my horse is a sweetheart and lets my ride single- or freehanded in any gait and he es nicely trained I do not expect him to ninja-trot or -gallop either ;-) so the gadgets will get a great deal of work concerning stabilazation and I expect them to solve that task fair enough for watching the results without eye-pain

Concerning the working together of 8+ and osmo:

I just unboxed the osmo last night very carefully as I thougt I would probably have to send it back anyway and started playing around after watching some tutorials and youtube reviews without big expectations.

To be honest I didn’t even expect the osmo to adjust with the 8+ as it has a new texture and is also made for wireless charging (mine is space grey). So I was getting prepared to stick a paper to the back to trick the osmo sensor like another user here posted and also galaxy 8 users sometimes need to do.

Surprisingly my comination worked from the first minute on and so far each time I tried.

The 8plus weighs 14 grams more than the 7plus and after my old 5 i find it quite heavy and difficult for filming single handed by itself. The osmo solves that problem great and completely.

Balancing the 8plus on the osmo (without switching it on) works obviously by coincidece exactly to the last mm and gramm. It fits neatly in and you simply have to pull the arm completely outward to the end and fix it there. For my intention of use on horesback this is perfect as balancing is easy that way without fiddling around too much.
However it works only without any case but this is probably known to any 7plus user already anyway. Also using a lense without counterbalance will not be possible due to the weight.

Stabilazation also works freehandedly so far without the osmo standing on a surface and restabilazation by doubleclicking also functions perfectly.

What can I say? I will definetely keep the osmo alone from these first little results disregarding the outcome in filming even if there might be a jiggle problem. The first indoor tests showed such a great difference between handheld filming and with the osmo that very obviously filming on horseback without a gimbal is not an option anymore.

I am getting prepared to do the first test shots outdoor with- and without horse in the upcoming next days and weeks and therefore installed the following apps:

- DJI GO
- ProCam 5 including 4k max upgrade
- Filmic Pro

Will keep you updated on the results.
Kind regards from Wiesbaden, Germany

Esther
2017-9-30
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Esther Posted at 2017-9-30 08:25
Hey guys, just got my new iphone 8plus a few days ago and and my new osmo mobile yesterday and am starting to test it both.

For me the 8plus was an extreme jump from my old iphone 5 and I waited for the key launch. When deciding for the 8+ I was fully aware of the upcoming possible problems concerning the jiggle with the osmo mobile after having read the threads in the forum here about the 7+ but wanted to give it a try nevertheless.

Thank you Esther for the nice write up.
2017-9-30
Use props
los0325
New
United States

Works great for me, shot some video at sea world this weekend...  https: //youtu.be/lMDcrnCbpN4 it would not allow me to post the link just remove the space between : and //
2017-10-3
Use props
fansbb20a1f0
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Will the DJI Mobile app be updated to support the new 4k resolution the I phone 8 has?
2017-10-4
Use props
Felipe Olvera
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94849 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-25 03:48
We don't suggest to mount mobile device to Osmo Mobile with any case especially iPhone 7/8 plus, the size is too big to keep balance. Besides, the sensor may be affected if you put in case.
We will keep improving our product to make it compatible with more mobile devices, thank you for your understanding.

What is the weight limit of the Zenmuse M1? Also what is the weight limit of the Z-Axis Pro/Raw?
2017-10-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Felipe Olvera Posted at 2017-10-10 20:46
What is the weight limit of the Zenmuse M1? Also what is the weight limit of the Z-Axis Pro/Raw?

Sorry that we don't this info, but the height of most mobile phones in market is supported except for compatibility in function.
Z- Axis for Osmo Pro/RAW only supports Osmo Pro/RAW and Osmo Mobile, I mean M1.
2017-10-11
Use props
fansbb20a1f0
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks for the response Mindy (Y)
2017-10-12
Use props
Felipe Olvera
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-11 02:49
Sorry that we don't this info, but the height of most mobile phones in market is supported except for compatibility in function.
Z- Axis for Osmo Pro/RAW only supports Osmo Pro/RAW and Osmo Mobile, I mean M1.

If the Osmo Pro/Raw is able to support the M1, having the same connection as the x3 would it not be able to support the x3(Osmo/Osmo+)? thanks!
2017-10-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Felipe Olvera Posted at 2017-10-14 22:48
If the Osmo Pro/Raw is able to support the M1, having the same connection as the x3 would it not be able to support the x3(Osmo/Osmo+)? thanks!

The handles are the same, which means the the handle of Osmo Pro/Raw also supports M1, X3, X3 Zoom.
2017-10-14
Use props
Felipe Olvera
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-14 23:46
The handles are the same, which means the the handle of Osmo Pro/Raw also supports M1, X3, X3 Zoom.

Sorry I meant to ask about the Osmo Pro/Raw Z-axis, not the handle. Would the Osmo Pro/Raw Z-Axis support the M1 and x3 (Osmo Plus).
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Felipe Olvera Posted at 2017-10-16 12:15
Sorry I meant to ask about the Osmo Pro/Raw Z-axis, not the handle. Would the Osmo Pro/Raw Z-Axis support the M1 and x3 (Osmo Plus).

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Osmo Pro/Raw Z-Axis supports the M1 but not the X3 Zoom (Osmo+).
2017-10-17
Use props
gimblefrodo
New
United Kingdom

Hi everyone,
Interesting thread. I just spent a few attempts getting my iPhone 8 Plus to work with my Osmo Mobile but it does not work. Even on its longest setting, the balacing just does not occur and the phone keeps dropping to the left hand side which defeats the purpose of having a gimble. I have upgraded the software in the gimble but this did not do anything. The gimble worked fine with the iPhone 6S so I am very disappointed about the current situation. I am going to an Apple store next weekend to see if they can give me some advice but I am not expecting too much. Interestingly, Apple has listed the device as being compatible with iPhone 8 Plus on their sales pages of the gimbal. I am a bit surprised that DJI have not come out yet with a statement to customers saying clearly 'Yes it is compatible and works fine" or "Sorry, actually using iPhone 8 Plus on this gimble will just not deliver the results we'd hope to give our customers". So far, there's a lot of "try this try that", and not much clarity. I may have overlooked a post but have not seen the results from the engineering test that were promised above. Perhaps someone can point me into that direction. Let's see whether anyone can crack this issue without having to ditch what is a actually a great product.
2017-10-22
Use props
fans807b8a19
New
Flight distance : 36503 ft
France

Hi every body ! I'm Fred... I'm using an iPhone 7+ for a while with the Osmo Mobile and it works fine... but this is not the point for me...
When DJI improve the software to use the hardware capacity of the double optics system ?
best regards
Fred
2017-10-22
Use props
fansca03f17f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25499 ft
United Kingdom

I’ve tested it with my 8+ and it works fine. I can see why some people would have it lean slightly to the left though as the 8+ is a top heavy phone. I wonder if there are minor variations in the manufacturing that means some gimbals extend a fraction of a mm further than others?
2017-10-24
Use props
fansca03f17f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25499 ft
United Kingdom

Also the sensor seems to work fine with the glass back of the Space Grey version.

The only problem I foresee may be battery life of the Osmo Mobile having to deal with the extra weight of the 8+
2017-10-24
Use props
joggluush
New

Germany

i just got an iphone 8 plus and tried it on my osmo mobile earlier today. there is a mysterious issue when using the front camera (video: example of issue ). when i use the back camera (selfie mode) all is good. i turned on/off both the gimbal and phone but that didn't make a difference. when i shoot video without the gimbal all works just fine with filmic pro and also the native camera app by apple. can you pls help?

2017-10-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

joggluush Posted at 2017-10-30 04:01
i just got an iphone 8 plus and tried it on my osmo mobile earlier today. there is a mysterious issue when using the front camera (video: example of issue ). when i use the back camera (selfie mode) all is good. i turned on/off both the gimbal and phone but that didn't make a difference. when i shoot video without the gimbal all works just fine with filmic pro and also the native camera app by apple. can you pls help?

Does the problem persists with other mobile device?
The problem has been escalated to R&D engineers for analysis, will keep you updated once I hear from them.
Appreciate your patience.
2017-10-31
Use props
mgfx
New
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-31 01:27
Does the problem persists with other mobile device?
The problem has been escalated to R&D engineers for analysis, will keep you updated once I hear from them.
Appreciate your patience.

I have exact same issue with attempting to shoot 4K/30fps on iPhone 8+. Other resolutions work fine.  I think latest version of the app introduced this bug. I have filed a bug report and tried to reach out on Twitter. also called support but they were clueless about it. https://twitter.com/morozgrafix/status/925625459349401600
2017-11-1
Use props
mgfx
New
United States

mgfx Posted at 2017-11-1 16:23
I have exact same issue with attempting to shoot 4K/30fps on iPhone 8+. Other resolutions work fine.  I think latest version of the app introduced this bug. I have filed a bug report and tried to reach out on Twitter. also called support but they were clueless about it. https://twitter.com/morozgrafix/status/925625459349401600

I just completely uninstalled DJI Go app from my phone and reinstalled it from the AppStore. I'm now able to select 4K/30fps in video mode. I haven't done much testing yet and will report back in case I find some odd issues. Give it a try and it may work for you as well. I think latest upgrade screwed something up and bug surfaced.
2017-11-1
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules