P4 - is RC firmware update causing battery problems?
2864 23 2017-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kite Surf Colle
New
Flight distance : 99997 ft
Aruba

Hello, I have the same problem with my P4 RC as many people right now. The controller won't charge fully, and then discharges more quickly than normal. It's only good for about 3 flights.

This seemed to happen after an RC firmware update. I spoke to DJI and they said I could send it in for repair. Great.

However, it seems to me the RC firmwate update is the problem, not the controller battery. I say this because I actually have a another, much older P4 remote. I hadn't used my old remote for about 6 months. I turned it on for a couple of hours and it kept its charge really well, no battery problems evident. It even worked fine, after I paired my P4 to it - the whole time is kept its battery level fine. Then, I applied the firmware update, after which battery suddenly showed as dead and now won't charge properly fully.

I'm not sure how this could happen, but for sure the RC firmware update is causing it.

Is it worth sending my RCs in to fix, or will a subsequent update fix the problem?

Thanks for any advice.

Alex

2017-9-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Kite, we are sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties, please send it in for repair or replacement if it is still under warranty period.
2017-9-23
Use props
rantomhero
lvl.1
Flight distance : 351 ft
Finland

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-23 19:12
Kite, we are sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties, please send it in for replacement if it is still under warranty period.

Well I did update my phantom 3 pro remote today since the go app told me to do so, after that the battery will drain out any second it wants to, did charge it fully twice and goes out from full to zero in a second.
Nice update and well done, any plans to fix this or should I trash this thing?
2017-9-23
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

May I suggest you to send the RC to repair. This happened to me also. But rollback RC firmware did not help. After sent for repairing it is OK. You can send just RC, no need to send the aircraft. If you want to fly you may link the old RC to the P4.
2017-9-23
Use props
fansd1d40f34
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1330495 ft
  • >>>
United States

For what it's worth the same occurred to me.  My RC's ability to fully charge became worse and worse after the last 3 updates.  I sent it in and it was receive Thursday September 21.  To this point no work has been done or recorded on my case.  My RC is not under warranty either.  It will be interesting to see if they'll charge to repair a component their firmware update broke or not.  And, how long it will take them to update my case and or even open my package.
2017-9-23
Use props
Professor Paoli
New
Flight distance : 26621 ft
Belgium

Hello everybody,
it also causes problems in Belgium .  I updated the firmware on my R/C (I own a P4) and I have lots of problems.
One of the problems is that my iPhone 6 isn't charging anymore on my R/C.  I did a reset of my P4 but I can't reset the R/C.  After reset to factory settings...same problem.
I never had problems with the R/C until this firmware update.  I contacted DJI and they said, on chat, that I need to reset the P4 to factory settings....but I have the same problem.
So my iPhone 6 isn't charging anymore on the R/C...the battery of my iPhone seemed to be drained by the R/C and that will stop my flight activity because my phone (and controlscreen) are out of battery in no time.

What can I do?  Thank you very much!
Bjorn
2017-9-24
Use props
Normn8or
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1466611 ft
United States

Typical DJI Update. Use the "*Forced Mandatory* updates" and sure enough it breaks something else and along with it a plethora of other problems, and then told the same old story of send it in for evaluation *just because of an update*. And then there's the Gaggle of  forum Admins and forum officers that totes the DJI mantra of it's never our fault it's the users fault for not understanding the system but yet to send it in for evaluation.  DJI sends out a help call to Hackers and told that if you can fix our problems for us we will pay you for your time and trouble. Obviously that has also failed just as badly as their failing updates that fix nothing but sure do cause more problems on top of problems. Its sad when a company has to turn to outside help to fix their so called cutting edge technology that ALL of us are told that we just don't understand the technology when in reality they themselves can't make head or tails of their own supposed technology. Can't wait to start hearing about the Part 107érs  that are paid to fly events and survey business properties  and ending up causing major damage to property and individuals. I wonder what DJI's excuse will be then. I find it funny that DJI can come out with one bad update after another but seem to not be able to even update the list of usable devices to run their so called cutting edge technology that is said to be putting more and more demand on the device that is supposed to be running their so called  power and memory demanding cutting edge technology. If DJI would be one individual that individual would be diagnosed with a disorder called Narcissism. I guess if you would apply  that disorder to an entire company it would be called "Lock Step Narcissism"  Now the new problem is send your bird up for a flight with full battery on the RC and the AC and halfway through that flight you notice that your RC is about ready to die and you have 0 time to even get your Bird even close to coming back home before it goes dead. Isn't that nice, but hey it's User Fault- User Problem in the book of DJI send it in for evaluation. Now watch the problems intensify after the new iOS update v11. DJI will just say it's our fault for updating our equipment and shouldn't have done it but yet we are made to Update our RC's and AC's with their "MANDATORY" Updates and we are also stuck with having to update the system with hopes and prayers of  FIXING something without breaking something else.
2017-9-24
Use props
cthetoy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 656703 ft
United States

DJI: You know that some P4 remotes are having issues when firmware has been updated and the problem is with the components of the remotes that you made as several threads and youtube videos state. Please extend the warranty just for the remotes. I was lucky that I was able to return the P4 back to the store and paid more for the P4 pro since it does not have remote issues and firmware issues for the P4.
Perhaps its useless to post this on a forum because you as a forum moderator probably is just like one of us who can not directly contact the engineers but perhaps just forward comments to them.
2017-9-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

cthetoy Posted at 2017-9-24 10:46
DJI: You know that some P4 remotes are having issues when firmware has been updated and the problem is with the components of the remotes that you made as several threads and youtube videos state. Please extend the warranty just for the remotes. I was lucky that I was able to return the P4 back to the store and paid more for the P4 pro since it does not have remote issues and firmware issues for the P4.
Perhaps its useless to post this on a forum because you as a forum moderator probably is just like one of us who can not directly contact the engineers but perhaps just forward comments to them.

Sir, I do not think the issue of OP is related with RC firmware update directly. Our engineers will do damage assessment once they received the unit and free repair will be applied for warranty case. I'm sorry if this bothers you, and would like to help you if you have the same issue.
2017-9-24
Use props
Professor Paoli
New
Netherlands

I know that after installing the new firmware, I'm having big problems...
I've just chat with the help desk, but they are going to let me know on the website if there's a solution.  In meantime I have a bird which I can't fly properly.  I still have warranty on my bird and I'm also very disappointed in DJI.  I thought that such a big company like DJI wil deliver quality products.  If you read the forum...a lot of people have these issues.
2017-9-25
Use props
Professor Paoli
New
Netherlands

Several days passed...nothing is happening!  Thanks DJI !
2017-9-27
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Professor Paoli Posted at 2017-9-24 01:50
Hello everybody,
it also causes problems in Belgium .  I updated the firmware on my R/C (I own a P4) and I have lots of problems.
One of the problems is that my iPhone 6 isn't charging anymore on my R/C.  I did a reset of my P4 but I can't reset the R/C.  After reset to factory settings...same problem.

You mentioned you had done a reset on your controller, was this the procedure you used:-

To reset the RC

* Turn on the controller, the aircraft should be off.
* Press C1, C2 (The two buttons on back of RC), and shutter (top right button nearest antenna) on the controller and hold for about 2 seconds or so until it beeps (D-DDD), then turn the controller off.
* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller and link the remote if needed.
2017-9-27
Use props
Professor Paoli
New
Belgium

Aardvark Posted at 2017-9-27 08:07
You mentioned you had done a reset on your controller, was this the procedure you used:-

To reset the RC

Hi there.  Nope, nothing.  Same issue.  
2017-9-27
Use props
fansd1d40f34
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fansd1d40f34 Posted at 2017-9-23 19:55
For what it's worth the same occurred to me.  My RC's ability to fully charge became worse and worse after the last 3 updates.  I sent it in and it was receive Thursday September 21.  To this point no work has been done or recorded on my case.  My RC is not under warranty either.  It will be interesting to see if they'll charge to repair a component their firmware update broke or not.  And, how long it will take them to update my case and or even open my package.

Just to provide an update.  DJI received my RC 9/21/2017, VERIFIED it on 9/25/2017.  And, as of 9/29/2017 that's where it stands.
2017-9-29
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

What about controllers out of warranty? If bad design of hw or firmware messes then up surely it's DJIs responsibility?
2017-9-30
Use props
fansd1d40f34
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

calls4u2 Posted at 2017-9-30 00:44
What about controllers out of warranty? If bad design of hw or firmware messes then up surely it's DJIs responsibility?

I agree but, how would anyone prove it?  If you send it in and they charge for repair/replacement, what can you do?  I'll be in that position soon.
2017-9-30
Use props
rudyasho
lvl.3
Flight distance : 547320 ft
Indonesia

My same case..
20171003_160703.jpg
2017-10-2
Use props
fansd1d40f34
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fansd1d40f34 Posted at 2017-9-29 07:12
Just to provide an update.  DJI received my RC 9/21/2017, VERIFIED it on 9/25/2017.  And, as of 9/29/2017 that's where it stands.

Just to provide an update.  DJI received my RC 9/21/2017, VERIFIED it on 9/25/2017.  And, as of 10/5/2017 that's where iT stands.

DJI Susan said last week she'd look into the status and such but she's not replied.  I've PM'ed her 2 times.
2017-10-5
Use props
cthetoy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 656703 ft
United States

calls4u2 Posted at 2017-9-30 00:44

Its a bad batch of remote. The firmware works but unfortunately the battery not charging thoroughly was a manufacturing fault that effect only certain batch of controller. There are youtube videos explaining it but the fix is to resolder a component that is semi hard to perform.
2017-10-5
Use props
PowerBand1
lvl.3

Australia

cthetoy Posted at 2017-10-5 16:22
Its a bad batch of remote. The firmware works but unfortunately the battery not charging thoroughly was a manufacturing fault that effect only certain batch of controller. There are youtube videos explaining it but the fix is to resolder a component that is semi hard to perform.

Has anybody tried a controller reset by opening up the rc unit and unplug the power connector cable and connect again ? might be worth a try.
2017-10-6
Use props
fansd1d40f34
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

PowerBand1 Posted at 2017-10-6 04:24
Has anybody tried a controller reset by opening up the rc unit and unplug the power connector cable and connect again ? might be worth a try.

I have not.  I've heard stories of people switching batteries between remotes where on one it shows full charge and on the other it shows low.  During that test if that would include unplugging the power connector,,, I don't know.
2017-10-6
Use props
Mungo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 122717 ft
South Africa

The update caused my problem on my 3rd remote!!
2017-10-11
Use props
Quino Designs
New
United States

Hello, I received my new drone last Tuesday and everything was fine until I updated the firmware and app. Now, the controller will not charge. At first, it got stuck on 68%, now it's down to 17% and losing batter while still plugged in.  All the chargers and adapters I'm using are the originals. I tried other chargers and doesn't make a difference. This is clearly a software issue and not a hardware issues. Please, advice if there is any way to reset the remote to an older firmware or a fixed version soon. I would hate to have to return the drone for such a small, but important bug. Thanks, Joaquin
2018-6-28
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Quino Designs Posted at 2018-6-28 08:54
Hello, I received my new drone last Tuesday and everything was fine until I updated the firmware and app. Now, the controller will not charge. At first, it got stuck on 68%, now it's down to 17% and losing batter while still plugged in.  All the chargers and adapters I'm using are the originals. I tried other chargers and doesn't make a difference. This is clearly a software issue and not a hardware issues. Please, advice if there is any way to reset the remote to an older firmware or a fixed version soon. I would hate to have to return the drone for such a small, but important bug. Thanks, Joaquin

Return your new drone (or just controller) what ever it might be for a model to where you bought it for a replacement.
It would not be the firmware but the hardware that fails.
2018-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules