4k 60 fps?
9758 26 2017-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aradise
New
United States

My new iPhone 8 shoots 4k at 60 fps for flawless slow motion. However, the DJI Go app doesn't allow me to select that in the camera settings. The best I can pick is 4k 30 fps. Any chance that'll be updated in the firmware anytime soon?

2017-9-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry that there is 60FPS for 4K with DJI Go, we will forward your request to our engineers to improve our product.
But there is slow motion function which you can select directly.
2017-9-24
Use props
TokyoStreetView
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1211378 ft
  • >>>
Japan

http://www.filmicpro.com/ should allow you to shoot in 60p and still control your Osmo Mobile (I haven't tested since I do not have an iPhone8).
2017-9-25
Use props
kubasmyk
New

United Kingdom

Aradise have you seen the small jitter on iphone 7 with Osmo mobile. How is the Iphone 8 compared to 7?. Is the optical image stabilisation still a problem? Or does look like its been fixed? Post some videos goddammit!
2017-9-25
Use props
Ru BenBen
New
Spain

kubasmyk Posted at 2017-9-25 01:08
Aradise have you seen the small jitter on iphone 7 with Osmo mobile. How is the Iphone 8 compared to 7?. Is the optical image stabilisation still a problem? Or does look like its been fixed? Post some videos goddammit!

I have the 8plus since yesterday, at the moment all the tests that I did not detect the problem of jitter that if I did the 7. The quality of image to increase having much less noise the image (Recording to 4k60fps).
But with the application of Filmic pro it is impossible to record at 4K60fps Filmic extreme.
2017-9-25
Use props
Ru BenBen
New
Spain

the Filmic Pro application has become very unstable in 8+, with several sudden closures after recording and in some occasions not to save the videos, both mounted on the Dji and without it. in 7 has not happened to me.

Does anyone have a Filmic pro with the Log profile, it's worth it to then make the color correct ?.
2017-9-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Ru BenBen Posted at 2017-9-25 06:46
I have the 8plus since yesterday, at the moment all the tests that I did not detect the problem of jitter that if I did the 7. The quality of image to increase having much less noise the image (Recording to 4k60fps).
But with the application of Filmic pro it is impossible to record at 4K60fps Filmic extreme.

Ben, appreciate your feedback about iPhone 8 plus and Osmo Mobile.
Though our device is compatible with Filmic Pro, yet it is not our official App, so we cannot provide many support to the function of Filmic. Appreciate your understanding.
2017-9-26
Use props
Ru BenBen
New
Spain

Thanks for the clarification Mindy.
Because in a forum many people with similar knowledge ask and answer, I have tried to expose from my experience the possible implications of using your device with "professional" recording software, in case this experience is helpful. I imagine that many users of Osmo Mobile also use the same software, I tried to respond to two users with questions in relation to the topic I have commented. Hence the question about the log in Filmic Pro and my interest.

I understand that members of DJI do not have, nor should they enter into answers about third party software, but the rest of users just can contribute something.

I will be very aware of your update at 4k60fps
Greetings.
2017-9-26
Use props
Aradise
New
United States

kubasmyk Posted at 2017-9-25 01:08

I like just it got it two days ago, so I'm still paying with it. I did use the OSMO Mobile with an iPhone7 and didn't notice any jitters. In fact, we did a whole video shoot using it and my Phantom 4 Pro. Killer!
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Ru BenBen Posted at 2017-9-26 02:46
Thanks for the clarification Mindy.
Because in a forum many people with similar knowledge ask and answer, I have tried to expose from my experience the possible implications of using your device with "professional" recording software, in case this experience is helpful. I imagine that many users of Osmo Mobile also use the same software, I tried to respond to two users with questions in relation to the topic I have commented. Hence the question about the log in Filmic Pro and my interest.

Totally understood, Forum is a place for discussion, sharing, and ask for assistance, you are welcomed to post any thoughts.
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Aradise Posted at 2017-9-27 14:10
I like just it got it two days ago, so I'm still paying with it. I did use the OSMO Mobile with an iPhone7 and didn't notice any jitters. In fact, we did a whole video shoot using it and my Phantom 4 Pro. Killer! https://youtu.be/uBe3e8VT50g

Glad to know you have a great time with it, nice video, thanks for your sharing and support to DJI.
2017-9-28
Use props
knakaneezee
New

United States

How can the DJI Go app not support 4k @ 60 at release of the Osmo Mobile 2? To me this is a non-starter and i consider the device DOA. If i dont see the update in a week im returning mine.  This is terrible.
2018-2-7
Use props
FeGo
New

Japan

knakaneezee Posted at 2018-2-7 09:06
How can the DJI Go app not support 4k @ 60 at release of the Osmo Mobile 2? To me this is a non-starter and i consider the device DOA. If i dont see the update in a week im returning mine.  This is terrible.

The same here.

I got my Osmo mobile 2 yesterday. I was surprised it did not support 4k@60fps.
I bought it specifically to work with my iphone 8.

I am thinking of returning it as well if there will not be 40@60fps support soon.
2018-2-8
Use props
holgersson
New

Switzerland

the same problem here. i need 4k @ 60fps.

also i think the slow-mo is not 240fps but 120...
2018-2-12
Use props
bss8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 273110 ft
United States

I have an iPhone X and just got my Osmo Mobile 2, but I too am disappointed that DJI GO doesn't seem to support 4k 60fps or 1080 at 240fps.  Can I use the stock camera app to record in these modes while still using the Osmo Mobile 2?
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ru BenBen Posted at 2017-9-25 06:52
the Filmic Pro application has become very unstable in 8+, with several sudden closures after recording and in some occasions not to save the videos, both mounted on the Dji and without it. in 7 has not happened to me.

Does anyone have a Filmic pro with the Log profile, it's worth it to then make the color correct ?.

I do have FP with the cinematography module on.
I seldom use it.
Lot's of noise on my iPhone SE. Even in high light conditions (iso manually set to the lowest value).
But that might also be because the iPhone SE does not allow for true raw output so they just boost the dynamic range in post.
All I know that it eats battery like mad.
You can always buy and test and get a refund within 14 days if I'm correct.
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

bss8 Posted at 2018-2-12 09:31
I have an iPhone X and just got my Osmo Mobile 2, but I too am disappointed that DJI GO doesn't seem to support 4k 60fps or 1080 at 240fps.  Can I use the stock camera app to record in these modes while still using the Osmo Mobile 2?

Yes you can.
You only don't have the physical buttons because the native app does not support these.
But it works (far) better than with the GO app.
I use 3rd party apps all the time, almost never the GO app.
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

holgersson Posted at 2018-2-12 08:22
the same problem here. i need 4k @ 60fps.

also i think the slow-mo is not 240fps but 120...

Just uses the native camera app. Works very decent (only without the buttons, but you still have your screen.
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

FeGo Posted at 2018-2-8 22:41
The same here.

I got my Osmo mobile 2 yesterday. I was surprised it did not support 4k@60fps.

Just use it with the default camera app. Works very smooth.
You only miss the physical buttons (start / stop) but that can be done on screen.
I almost never use the Go app anymore.
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

knakaneezee Posted at 2018-2-7 09:06

Just use the native camera app you have.
Works much better than the go app.
I only use that for motion timelapses now.
You loose the start / stop button, but that can be done on screen right?
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Aradise Posted at 2017-9-27 14:10
I like just it got it two days ago, so I'm still paying with it. I did use the OSMO Mobile with an iPhone7 and didn't notice any jitters. In fact, we did a whole video shoot using it and my Phantom 4 Pro. Killer! https://youtu.be/uBe3e8VT50g

Amazing video!
2018-2-12
Use props
fansb05cb444
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12772 ft
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-12 11:26
Just use it with the default camera app. Works very smooth.
You only miss the physical buttons (start / stop) but that can be done on screen.
I almost never use the Go app anymore.

That's not an option in my case. You lose object tracking and physical controls.
2018-2-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansb05cb444 Posted at 2018-2-15 18:36
That's not an option in my case. You lose object tracking and physical controls.

I almost only use the Movie Pro app (without the physical buttons, since it does not support the Osmo Mobile).
That is working perfectly for me.
I press rec on the screen and that is all the buttons I need right?

The active track is true, but I never use that anyway.
I just follow my subject by hand

I'd rather have buttery smooth footage and use the screen when I want to start / stop than have jittery footage and be able to use the physical buttons.
2018-2-16
Use props
fansb05cb444
lvl.2
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-16 00:20
I almost only use the Movie Pro app (without the physical buttons, since it does not support the Osmo Mobile).
That is working perfectly for me.
I press rec on the screen and that is all the buttons I need right?

I sold my old gimbal and bought this exclusively for the extra features it had, mainly smoother panning with the physical controls, and object tracking to allow me to make hyperlapse footage. So this isn't really ideal at all.

It isn't possible to do a smooth hyperlapse by following a subject manually without using active track.
2018-2-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansb05cb444 Posted at 2018-2-18 15:37
I sold my old gimbal and bought this exclusively for the extra features it had, mainly smoother panning with the physical controls, and object tracking to allow me to make hyperlapse footage. So this isn't really ideal at all.

It isn't possible to do a smooth hyperlapse by following a subject manually without using active track.

Don't get me wrong, I think DJI should fix it.
But I'm not sure if it is DJI that has the issue or Apple.
Apple 'should' add a way to fix the lens inside the phone. Now it is either floating freely OR correcting motion. Both are unwanted in a gimbal setting.
That is at least what I understand from an app developer of Filmic Pro. (they have the same issue, because they normally disable stabilization in the iPhone.

I would start a support question if I was you. See what DJI states.
Add some footage and ask for a solution!

The panning will work btw, the only button that does not work is start / stop (ok, maybe the mode selection button, but that I never use in GO either).

Even with active track I don't get decent hyperlapses, but that might be my unsteady hand....
;)
2018-2-18
Use props
fansb05cb444
lvl.2
Australia

I appreciate your reply but I think you misunderstand.

> Apple 'should' add a way to fix the lens inside the phone. Now it is either floating freely OR correcting motion. Both are unwanted in a gimbal setting.

I have zero issues with the OIS built into the iPhone conflicting with the new Osmo Mobile 2. This is a documented issue with the original Osmo and why I didn't buy it, but I have not experienced the issue with the new one. So no problems there.

> That is at least what I understand from an app developer of Filmic Pro. (they have the same issue, because they normally disable stabilisation in the iPhone.

Developers (including Filmic Pro Developers) do not have write access to change the stabilisation of the camera on the iPhone. We as developers can READ (but not change) the status of the lens stabilisation via the AVCaptureDevice.LensStabilizationStatus enumeration in the AVCaptureDevice framework provided by Apple.

Either way, whilst it would be nice to have the option to disable it, the original problem with the Osmo (and some other stabilisers) is that the closed-loop latency between the gyroscope in the stabilizer that measures movement, and the corresponding reaction speed of the motors of the stabiliser to counteract the measured movement was too slow. This would cause the iPhone itself to detect the movement too before it was corrected and counter act it with its own lens stabilisation, followed by the Osmo motors eventually responding and causing a "double stabilisation". The iPhone would then revert its stabilisation now that the Osmo motors moved, and this double stabilisation followed by a correction is what caused the jitter.

This was likely a hardware limitation of the original Osmo processor, and why a firmware update was not released (nor possible). The new Osmo Mobile 2 seems to have a faster processor, which would increase the refresh rate of this closed loop and not give the iPhone OIS time to "step in". I have analysed the footage from my Osmo Mobile 2 and can see no measurable jitter.

> Add some footage and ask for a solution!

No footage is needed. The option of recording at 4K @ 60fps is not available in settings. A DJI representative just needs to open the app to see this.

> The panning will work btw, the only button that does not work is start / stop (ok, maybe the mode selection button, but that I never use in GO either).

Ah, I see it does, thanks for that. At least that's a plus

> Even with active track I don't get decent hyperlapses, but that might be my unsteady hand....

I've gotten really great hyperlapses so far, although if you lose your subject for a second a 5 minute hyperlapse (translating to a few seconds of actual footage) could be ruined!

I simply just want support for 4k@60fps.

Interestingly, the video here:   clearly shows 4K60 available in the DJI Go app settings around the 2:35 mark.

My suspicion is that it was available in betas available to reviewers, but DJI Go still records using the older h.264 codec and is having trouble recording at this high data rate without dropping frames, so they removed it for the final release. Apple on the other hand have switched to HEVC as of iOS 11 in their camera app, (aka the High Efficiency Video Codec), which as the name suggests is more efficient, lower bitrate for the same quality, and likely doesn't have the problem. The iPhone may however be able to support encoding 4k60 content in h364 also, so not sure exactly why this was available in betas to reviewers, but isn't available now to customers.

I'm just hoping that DJI don't get lazy and avoid implementing the new codec, and subsequently adding support for 4k60

2018-2-19
Use props
Pabloitaly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50932 ft
  • >>>
Italy

please active 4k 60p
2018-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now