Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
When I have to use Tripod mode?
3211 17 2017-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
allyssongemelli
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2562467 ft
Brazil

I'm in doubt about tripod mode. Should I use this mode to take photos or record smooth scenes, more stable?
2017-9-23
Use props
fans61699a75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I personally dont like tripod mode, too slow. Normal mode is what i normally use for video , photo . When taking photo i usuallyl hover
2017-9-23
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

You should use tripod mode when your skill as a pilot is so poor that you cannot maneuver your aircraft at a very slow speed without it.  That's basically what it comes down to.  Pilots with degenerative muscular diseases I can understand.  Or even myself with a bad case of the DT's.  But a healthy person should be able to move the sticks subtly to accomplish the same thing or they have no business being PIC.  EXP settings are your friend.
2017-9-23
Use props
allyssongemelli
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2562467 ft
Brazil

The EXP settings, do you set in 0.2 or 0.4?
2017-9-23
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

allyssongemelli Posted at 2017-9-23 12:38

My rudder is set to 0.29 and both axis of the right stick are set to 0.40.  Also you've got the physical adjustment on the stick height which I take full advantage of (on my P4 at least).

From what I've seen, people use tripod mode so they can mash the sticks all over the place several mm at a time and still have the aircraft move slowly.  Don't mash the sticks, move them with precision. It ain't rocket science.

Plus you never know when you're going to have to make a quick getaway from a hiker who likes throwing rocks.  This is kinda like putting a wad of paper under your car accelerator so you don't press the damn pedal too far down.
2017-9-23
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-23 12:54
My rudder is set to 0.29 and both axis of the right stick are set to 0.40.  Also you've got the physical adjustment on the stick height which I take full advantage of (on my P4 at least).

From what I've seen, people use tripod mode so they can mash the sticks all over the place several mm at a time and still have the aircraft move slowly.  Don't mash the sticks, move them with precision. It ain't rocket science.

LOL   Yes they do.   Lots of shotguns in Alabama too.
2017-9-23
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

allyssongemelli Posted at 2017-9-23 12:38

Aloha allyssongemelli,

Yes, Irate does have a point about the use of Tripod, but if you are flying a P4 Pro, there is also "Narrow Sensing".  Narrow Sensing is only used in Tripod (and Beginner Mode) and will allow the side sensors to "open the door" so to speak between large objects with an opening between them that the Phantom can pass through.  But, this is a side issue because you fly the P4 Advanced.  But people will speak about this when using Tripod and the P4 Pro.

Irate and ALABAMA make good points about EXPO.  The lower settings make the stick softer.  .50 puts the stick in default mode.  Any number above .50 makes for super quick responses and you should use them only if you are a drone racer with very quick reflexes.

Remember that you can also use EXPO for Sport Mode.  The same reasoning applies.  Because Sport Mode is so responsive keeping EXPO in the .2-.3 range can really tame Sport Mode.  Look at the graphs when you set the numbers and try to make sense of how these settings change how the Phantom responds to stick input.  It is very helpful since we use sight to figure out so much in our lives.  If you look at the graph after you make a setting, you can see how the response is by moving a stick.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-23
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

I use tripod mode when I am filming it gives stability and also fluid shots.... yea the speed drops but i just get out of tripod mode if i am trying convay speed
2017-9-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

In tripod mode, the movements will be reduced and you can get smoother videos. I would recommend you to try this if high quality and professional videos are required.
2017-9-24
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 426375 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-23 17:47
Aloha allyssongemelli,

Yes, Irate does have a point about the use of Tripod, but if you are flying a P4 Pro, there is also "Narrow Sensing".  Narrow Sensing is only used in Tripod (and Beginner Mode) and will allow the side sensors to "open the door" so to speak between large objects with an opening between them that the Phantom can pass through.  But, this is a side issue because you fly the P4 Advanced.  But people will speak about this when using Tripod and the P4 Pro.

Thanks for the excellent explanation of what the settings translate to as far as the bird's motion.
2017-10-20
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JamesWhenman Posted at 2017-10-20 13:54
Thanks for the excellent explanation of what the settings translate to as far as the bird's motion.

Aloha James,

Mahalo for the appreciation.  Happy to be of service.  Each option provided by DJI allows for some different maneuver or capabilty.  As a result, each one gives you a different type of fun when flying.  Explore them all for a full experience and the experience of learning of how to make each option work for you is half the fun.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-20
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JamesWhenman Posted at 2017-10-20 13:54

Aloha James,

Do you and Sam Drucker share the same Avatar?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-20
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-10-20 23:25
Aloha James,

Do you and Sam Drucker share the same Avatar?

Aloha Cetacean,
I am THE Sam Drucker avatar in real life here in Tucker. Got that nickname when I moved here 20 some odd years ago and it stuck, even after the beard.

Mahalo ,
2017-10-21
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JamesWhenman Posted at 2017-10-21 04:40
Aloha Cetacean,
I am THE Sam Drucker avatar in real life here in Tucker. Got that nickname when I moved here 20 some odd years ago and it stuck, even after the beard.

Aloha James,

So, do you prefer James or Sam?  Or are you like me, "Call me anything you like, just do not call me late for dinner!"

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-21
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-10-21 11:38
Aloha James,

So, do you prefer James or Sam?  Or are you like me, "Call me anything you like, just do not call me late for dinner!"

I prefer Sam as that is what my friends have called me for a long time. Family calls me Jim. Ex-wife still calls me James.

I'm the one cooking dinner so I'm never late, unless I burned it again.
2017-10-22
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JamesWhenman Posted at 2017-10-22 08:13
I prefer Sam as that is what my friends have called me for a long time. Family calls me Jim. Ex-wife still calls me James.

I'm the one cooking dinner so I'm never late, unless I burned it again.

Aloha Sam,

Best response ever!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-23
Use props
stefgo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5081736 ft
France

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-24 22:54
In tripod mode, the movements will be reduced and you can get smoother videos. I would recommend you to try this if high quality and professional videos are required.

Hello Susan, does tripod mode gives an advantage to shoot photos on P4p ?
Yes tripod mode reduce movement when filming, but for stills images ?
Give it more stability for long exposures, like a real tripod on the ground or you can not notice any difference between normal mode when the drone is in static position ?
2017-12-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

stefgo Posted at 2017-12-23 23:46
Hello Susan, does tripod mode gives an advantage to shoot photos on P4p ?
Yes tripod mode reduce movement when filming, but for stills images ?
Give it more stability for long exposures, like a real tripod on the ground or you can not notice any difference between normal mode when the drone is in static position ?

Personally, I'd like to take the still pictures in this mode, so that more time can be spared and focus on the pictures only. Also, the side sensors will work in Tripod Mode and enhance the flight safety.
2017-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules