My inspires motors stopped mid flight and fell into the water.
12Next >
5475 41 2015-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hecticshit
New

United States

So I was on flight 6 with a new inspire 1 everything was working fine.
Compass was calibrated pre checks done full battery antenas set flit well for about 4 minutes and then I was doing some 360 degrees turns while decending and I got a Facebook message on my iPhone 5s. but also I may have put both toggles down and in. In this momment all motors stopped and the thing plummeted into the river. .

Is it possible to shut the motors off mid flight with landing gears up???? If not what else could cause all motors to just shit offffff??????

Raahhhhhhhh.   Help please
2015-4-5
Use props
johnmont250
lvl.3

United States

wow, that sux, sorry.  it sounds like you might have shut the motors off with the csc command(kill switch) but I would think you would have to be going backwards and downwards corkscrewing to do this.  both sticks in and down will shut down the motors.  any chance of recovery?
2015-4-5
Use props
woodielb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78061552 ft
United States

Both sticks down & in is the CSC to start/kill the motors. If you did this and held it for a sec it will kill the motors whether in flight or not.

I do really steep spiral dives all the time, but it's left stick full back & a little in, (right) & right stick full forward, for a right turning spiral. You'd be flying backward & crabbing left while yawing right & descending with the sticks in the CSC position.

Sorry to hear about your loss, but it sounds like you may have cut off the motors. If the flight log recorded to your IPhone you can go to the user center in the pilot app & replay it, with the option to show stick position.
2015-4-5
Use props
woodielb
lvl.2
United States

There have been some complaints that you should not be able to do this in flight, but I think it's there for safety purposes, in the event you need to drop the bird out of the sky in an emergency, shut the motors down in the event of a crash into a tree, etc.

One possible solution would be for DJI to program the firmware to require the sticks be held in the CSC position for a solid 3 seconds. Right now it doesn't quite do it instantaneously, but you don't have to hold them there very long to stop the motors. Lengthening the time to a full 3 seconds would keep it from happening accidentally if someone did it momentarily inflight. But 3 seconds would seem like a long time if your Inspire were caught in a tree or something else with the motors burning up or causing damage while you're trying to shut them down via the CSC.

There are no manuvers in normal flight where the sticks should be in the position, but I can see where you might flinch in the surprise of receiving a FaceTime call during flight. Putting the phone in Airplane mode will avoid that. Again, sorry to hear you lost your Inspire. Is the water to deep to dive for it? If you recovered it, let it dry & sent it back to DJI, maybe they could salvage some of it.
2015-4-5
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with Woodie, Sounds like you accidentially shut the Inspire down. It happens. Were you able to retrieve the Inspire and get it to run again after drying it out?
2015-4-5
Use props
SkySight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143566828 ft
United States

Let's say you are at 400 feet and CSC to kill the engines. They shut off and it drops. If you do the same thing with the sticks will they restart in mid-flight?
2015-4-5
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

SkySight Posted at 2015-4-6 10:58
Let's say you are at 400 feet and CSC to kill the engines. They shut off and it drops. If you do the ...

Theoretically yes, but don't know if anyone has been game to confirm it!   

Hectic, very sorry to hear about your loss, it's our worst nightmare anytime we fly!    I was flying over the ocean yesterday and was freaking out every time I went out.
2015-4-5
Use props
woodielb
lvl.2
United States

Yeah, they'll start back up, I've done it with my Phantom 2 but not willing to risk it with my Inspire.
2015-4-5
Use props
Hecticshit
New

United States

johnmont250@hot Posted at 2015-4-6 03:05
wow, that sux, sorry.  it sounds like you might have shut the motors off with the csc command(kill s ...

I've disassembled the whole thing and there is electrolisis on some of the circuit boards :/ I'm hopping I can buy replacement parts or a wrecked inspire, but no luck as yet.  The camera components look fine throughout so it may be ok :/ time will tell basically going to be a full rebuild
2015-4-5
Use props
Hecticshit
New

United States

Thanks for the input guys pretty costly pilot error, dam it why did I have to try and be tricky.  
I think I'll buy another and use this one for parts in case of future crashes. (Touch wood).

I dove for it and the thing was still flashing lights but most of the circuit boards are toast it won't fly again without a hell of a lot of work. Anyone got a smashed up inspire I can salvage parts off.?????  
2015-4-5
Use props
Hecticshit
New

United States

Btw thank you guys for confirming my incompetence as a pilot hahahaha bastards FML. Hopefully this helps make others aware to not do the same thing cause it really sux a huge bag of dicks watching it go into the drink.

I thought I was in a matrix glitch for a minute after the splash.
2015-4-5
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Hecticshit Posted at 2015-4-6 11:43
Thanks for the input guys pretty costly pilot error,  dam it why did I have to try and be tricky.  ...

Some guys have done some really nasty things to their copters and DJI has rebuilt them at surprisingly cheap prices! At least that's what some have posted. You may want to see about a repair? The frame and hardware are more than likely ok, electronics can be fairly cheap to fix unless you require extensive replacements?
2015-4-5
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

I just spoke with a guy recently who accidentally CSC'd his craft midair with the sticks down and OUT.  I thought it was just down and inward, but I haven't tested this on the ground.  Maybe another position to watch out for while flying.
2015-4-6
Use props
fullyestablishe
lvl.2

United States

FrostyThe2nd Posted at 2015-4-7 01:50
I just spoke with a guy recently who accidentally CSC'd his craft midair with the sticks down and OU ...

Yes, CSC is down and out as well as down and in. They have even modelled this in flight shutdown and restart in the simulator. I believe that the left hand full down will not shut down the engine in mid-flight however, just the two CSC positions. I suspect that DJI may really come through for you if you send it off to them. As we keep reading in the news airline captains also shutdown engines by mistake in flight with similar consequences.
2015-4-6
Use props
Hecticshit
New

United States

I looked at my flight record and was confused because I also put the sticks down and out wow wow dji should fix this issue I think. Too many ways to turn it off.
2015-4-6
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-6 11:01
Theoretically yes, but don't know if anyone has been game to confirm it!   

Made test in SIM on this.
Yes, motors start again with another CSC.
But the bird drops +/- 50meters between 1st. CSC and 2th CSC followed with left stick full up
So no chance recovering if you fly lower than 50meter (150feet)
A 3sec delay on the SCS as woodie suggests would make it almost impossible to recover.
2015-4-6
Use props
woodielb
lvl.2
United States

Dundee, I was thinking the 3 second requirement would only be to kill the motors. They should start instantly with the CSC when they're off. Seem like the software should be able to know if the motors are on or off. If on, you have to hold the CSC position 3 sec to shut them off. If off, the CSC starts them instantly.  
2015-4-7
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

woodielb@xmissi Posted at 2015-4-7 19:52
Dundee, I was thinking the 3 second requirement would only be to kill the motors. They should start  ...

Yes woodie, i now totaly agree with you.

There was even a discussion here to activate or deactivate CSC in the app settings.
A solution to keep everybody happy.

But the 3sec delay when motors on, and 1sec delay when motors off is better.
I will report this in the Beta-program.
Thanks
2015-4-7
Use props
fabsmet
New

Netherlands

Or maybe the option to have the sticks down with a combination? (in-out-in OR out-in-out, within 1 second?)

Just an idea, there might be someone who needs the 'down in-out-in' for a very nice move I don't know yet ;-).

I haven't flown any 3D with the Inspire and I am thinking of keeping it that way.
I'll leave that up to Curtis Youngblood .
2015-4-7
Use props
ryan6.me
lvl.1

United States

The CSC should require the autopilot to also cross check with the z-axis accelerometer before shutting off the motors to verify it is on the ground.  It's stupid to have this option while flying.   
2015-4-7
Use props
qido
lvl.1

Slovakia

SkySight Posted at 2015-4-6 10:58
Let's say you are at 400 feet and CSC to kill the engines. They shut off and it drops. If you do the ...

Yes, tested by me
2015-4-7
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

What about just a flippin' button on the remote that you hold for 3 secs (like the "return home" button).

Yesterday was my first flight with the I1. When I landed, I did both sticks down and in to shut down the motors. By the time I was getting visual clues that the motors were shutting down, they were getting ready to spool back up, (cause I didn't release the sticks at the proper moment).

I REALLY don't like this at all!
The very first thing I have ALWAYS done after walking up to a powerful bird after landing was to disconnect the power, via switch or unplug.
I need to know that there is NO WAY that thing could start back up while I pick it up or carry it away.

Please DJI, we need a dedicated "kill switch" in the event of an emergency, (not create one).

(when your "accidental" kills quadruple the number of "intentional" kills, something NEEDS to be done, anyone agree?)

Bob
2015-4-7
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

All you have to do to shut down the landed aircraft is hold the Throttle stick down for ~3 sec.
CSC is not required.
Then, you won't confuse the shutdown and startup CSC.
This shutdown feature has been in the DJI FC's firmware for some time...

CSC has been DJI's chosen method of start/stop motors from day one.
Thousands of pilots have flown thousands of aircraft with it and not had problems.
I don't suspect DJI will be changing it...

In flight, CSC = drop as fast as possible + rotate (CW or CCW) as fast as possible + fly back and to the right or left as fast as possible.
Just not something the average pilot would want/need to do...
Can you do it?
Sure
Going at highway speeds do you turn your steering wheel to the right or left as far as it will go?
Can you do it?
Sure

Results for both "Can you do?" questions are the same...
2015-4-7
Use props
woodielb
lvl.2
United States

dundee Posted at 2015-4-7 20:11
Yes woodie, i now totaly agree with you.

There was even a discussion here to activate or deactiva ...

Thanks Dundee, hope that makes it through.
2015-4-7
Use props
ajweber1980
lvl.2
Flight distance : 306716 ft
United States

@Hecticshit i think i did the same thing.  Did DJI cover this?
2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

ajweber1980@gma Posted at 2016-1-6 10:31
@Hecticshit i think i did the same thing.  Did DJI cover this?

during the warranty period DJI covers issues caused by machine failure, but  not pilot errors
2016-1-5
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

SkySight Posted at 2015-4-5 21:58

Yes that does work, I've done it but was not able to regain control of the bird.
2016-1-6
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

Was it in really cold temperatures that day?
2016-1-6
Use props
seanmotox250
lvl.1

United States

20#

A small E-stop button, somewhat hard to depress and maintains, with a bright red LED light would solve all this.  It's the industry standard in all automation.  You would know when it's depressed, could see that clearly, and could reset and restart if done quickly since you can clearly see what happened.  Located correctly on the RC it would only be pressed deliberately.   
2016-1-7
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Sorry to hear about the crash! Gezzzz that truly sucks!
2016-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2016-1-9 00:03
Sorry to hear about the crash! Gezzzz that truly sucks!

His original post about the crash was 8 months ago, I'm sure he's been having a blast with his Inspire since then.
2016-1-8
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-8 10:39
His original post about the crash was 8 months ago, I'm sure he's been having a blast with his Ins ...

lol I apologize I didn't look at the date on the post. I sure hope so thanks Ken...
2016-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2016-1-9 01:01
lol I apologize I didn't look at the date on the post. I sure hope so  thanks Ken...

No problem, I've done that many times myself
2016-1-8
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Ken- are you in Hong Kong or the USA? Or neither? I was just curious.
2016-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2016-1-9 10:51
Ken- are you in Hong Kong or the USA? Or neither? I was just curious.

Im in the US
2016-1-8
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss!

hope you can get this repaired by DJI at a reduced cost.

I do not like the CSC feature the way it works today. I hope this can be improved somehow while maintaining the safety of being able to shut the aircraft off.

Rich
2016-1-8
Use props
ajweber1980
lvl.2
Flight distance : 306716 ft
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-1-8 23:27
Sorry for your loss!

hope you can get this repaired by DJI at a reduced cost.

@RichJ53 I m sending mine in to DJI today so we'll see how much it cost to repair the bird after the CSC command.  Honestly I understand the CSC but there should be an audible warning alerting you that you are activating it.

My bird did reactivate midflight about 100 ft up but it was titled to the right.  I had no idea that  i had activated the CSC.  So i was throttling upward which was causing the bird to go to the right instead of upward,

Its a tough 5k lesson.  I hope DJI implements an audible warning for this safety feature as this would alleviate accidental activation.  I hope you guys learn from my mistake.
2016-1-12
Use props
Gootch
lvl.2

United States

ajweber1980@gma Posted at 2016-1-12 16:00
@RichJ53 I m sending mine in to DJI today so we'll see how much it cost to repair the bird after t ...

Shouldn't be something you have to learn from..... just boggles my mind that this has not been "adjusted"
FYI I have seen CSC prevent plastic pieces you can install on your radio.... might be an option for the new people doing some reading.
2016-1-12
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

ajweber1980@gma Posted at 2016-1-12 13:00
@RichJ53 I m sending mine in to DJI today so we'll see how much it cost to repair the bird after t ...

Yes, we shouldn't be learning this way!! And I hope they treat you right. Keep us informed and best of luck to you

Rich
2016-1-12
Use props
domidragon90
lvl.2

Switzerland

Why not just add another button you need to press to activate the CSC?
Like both C buttons. You need to press C1 and C2 with the sticks down in/out. This combination is nothing you do in flight - even unexpected.
2016-1-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules