Protective film for front sensor and camera lens
4763 15 2017-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tom39
lvl.1
United States

In an effort to protect the camera lense and front sensor on my Spark, I was considering adding a protective film ,similar to a glass screen protector that you would apply to a phone. I did a Forum search for it but was unable to find an answer. I find it hard to believe that this topic has not been discussed prior, so I am guessing that I am just not formulating the correct key words or sequence in the search box.
Anyway, has anyone tried adding a protective glass/film and if so, were there any negative side effects?
Additionally, if you happen to know of a thread on this topic, I would greatly appreciate you sharing the link.

Thank you in advance for you help and advice,
Tom
2017-9-23
Use props
Neeon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 453701 ft
Fiji

check this out this might help u out.
2017-9-23
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Absolute BS
2017-9-23
Use props
polguixe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 165030 ft
Spain

Don’t do it. Worst money spend ever.

Invest in DJI care insurance if you are worried of damaging it.
2017-9-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I see little use for that. Only some protection for the starting and landing process when you are flying close to the ground.
2017-9-24
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'd probably look at something like a gimbal protector, which will almost protect the lens as well.
If you put a plastic film on your lens the image quality will be very poor, best leave it uncovered

Camera-Lens-hood-Sunhood-Sunshade-Anti-glare-Gimbal-Protector-for-DJI-SPARK.jpg_.jpg
2017-9-24
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

If something hits the lens hard enough to damage it the gimbal will be toast anyway. Get the gimbal protector.
2017-9-24
Use props
SG123
New
Flight distance : 9557 ft
Singapore

I just installed too. Hope the stickers will not cause problems to the 3D sensing system..
2017-9-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

lannes Posted at 2017-9-24 05:39
I'd probably look at something like a gimbal protector, which will almost protect the lens as well.
If you put a plastic film on your lens the image quality will be very poor, best leave it uncovered

Looks like a good solution
2017-9-24
Use props
I love Drones
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I am using these so far so good https://www.amazon.com/Lens-Prot ... 272483&sr=1-101
2017-9-24
Use props
Tom39
lvl.1
United States

I have purchased a gimble protector for storage and flight and I have purchased DJI Refresh. However, my thought for the use of the protective film was not to protect it while in flight but while it is being handled prior to flight, during setup or while in a storage bag or case.  Accidents happen and I am trying to do all that I can to protect the investment.

Thank you all for your help and advice,
Tom
2017-9-24
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Tom39 Posted at 2017-9-24 11:28
I have purchased a gimble protector for storage and flight and I have purchased DJI Refresh. However, my thought for the use of the protective film was not to protect it while in flight but while it is being handled prior to flight, during setup or while in a storage bag or case.  Accidents happen and I am trying to do all that I can to protect the investment.

Thank you all for your help and advice,

If you look carefully at the Spark lens, you'll see  that it's recessed a fair way into the housing, I think that there is a piece of protective glass already in place
2017-9-24
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Technically Don't do it. Your sensors will be less sensitive or misjudge the obstacle. Your image quality will be worse. If you do want to use it. Find something similar to DSLR protective filter to protect just lens not sensor.
2017-9-24
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Please do not add protective film, like the post 13# mentioned, your sensors will be less sensitive or misjudge the obstacle and your image quality will be worse.
2017-9-24
Use props
Tom39
lvl.1
United States

Thank you all for your advice and reasoning. I will be abandoning the idea of adding the lens protectors.

Again, thank you
Tom
2017-9-28
Use props
Mue
lvl.1

Japan

I purchased the protective lens clear covers.  I am removing them before my next flight.  The one which covers the camera creates a flash back glare into the camera creating a  very distracting and virtually scene ruining glare throughout the entire video which cannot be edited out.  Also the front sensor sometiems senses it is near something when it is not, which worries me that the Spark could activate RTH erroneously.  Im removing mine.  To me, it was a fantastic waste of money..
2018-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules