Gimbal control issues
1937 19 2017-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pashas_dad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 982723 ft
United States

Have had a recent problem with the gimbal control on my Spark. As I fly and rotate slowly in yaw to shoot video, the resultant image doesn’t stay level!  It behaves like it does in sport and/or FPV mode. It again stabilizes with a 5-10 sec time constant.

Even when I attempt to do a 180 panorama, as the aircraft yaws (rotates) to capture the 21 individual images, the horizon becomes un-level in the image captures.  It slowly returns to level after about 5-10 seconds. Now it even frequently does not complete a 180 panorama and gets “stuck” after the first image is grabbed and aborts.

I have all the latest firmware installed, recalibrated the IMU and compass, and I have refreshed the aircraft firmware but nothing helps. There is nothing obstructing the gimbal it works smoothly and can pitch up and down with the thumb wheel control.
The best way to describe the problem is that it behaves like it’s in sport or FPV mode with respect to the image not being stabilized during slow yaws.

2017-9-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

This issue happens in Follow Mode, right? Is it possible to upload a short video to us for analysis?
2017-9-23
Use props
pashas_dad
lvl.4
United States

Yes it happens in Follow mode. Also, in case it matters, I had just received a replacement RC from DJI after I had returned it to you for repair, the USB plug had broken. Is there a setting perhaps I did not reset?  By the way it came back to me set in Mode 1, that was scary for me !!!

Here is a link to a short video showing how it loses stability and then settles back:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... zg/view?usp=sharing

Here's a link to a failed set of 17 images of a 180 deg panorama showing the tilted horizon as the aircraft moves around:

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... VzJBNnc?usp=sharing

Please let me know how to proceed. Would I have to mail the aircraft back to you?
2017-9-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

pashas_dad Posted at 2017-9-23 20:22
Yes it happens in Follow mode. Also, in case it matters, I had just received a replacement RC from DJI after I had returned it to you for repair, the USB plug had broken. Is there a setting perhaps I did not reset?  By the way it came back to me set in Mode 1, that was scary for me !!!

Here is a link to a short video showing how it loses stability and then settles back:

I don't think so, I will feedback to our engineers for analysis on Monday, will come back to you soon, appreciate your patience.
2017-9-24
Use props
pashas_dad
lvl.4
United States

Ok I will wait, please do not forget !!
Also not sure if for the same reason, the panorama mode aborts and does not work either, I get the error saying:

"Warninginking cancelled due to shooting timeout."

Hopefully they will open a case and send me a label to return it for repair/replacement.. It has NEVER been in any crash. I hadn 't used it for a month while I was waiting for the RC to be repaired. As soon as I got it back, now the aircraft has an issue !  Oh boy.

I also have DJI Care/Refresh
2017-9-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

pashas_dad Posted at 2017-9-24 08:06
Ok I will wait, please do not forget !!
Also not sure if for the same reason, the panorama mode aborts and does not work either, I get the error saying:

We are confirming with our engineers, may I know if the tilting issue persists after compass calibration? If so, we also need the flight log and black box, and screenshot of ''Warninginking cancelled due to shooting timeout'', does it happen every time?
Here is the tutorial video to export log and black box for your reference, appreciate your time.
2017-9-24
Use props
pashas_dad
lvl.4
United States

I have calibrated the compass several times and the problem still occurs. The panorama failure happens every time.  I'm not sure how to get a screengrab you asked for but I sent the flight logs too.
Here is a link to all the data. Please help expedite this ASAP. I cannot fly.

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... Mkg1aTg?usp=sharing

2017-9-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

pashas_dad Posted at 2017-9-25 03:07
I have calibrated the compass several times and the problem still occurs. The panorama failure happens every time.  I'm not sure how to get a screengrab you asked for but I sent the flight logs too.
Here is a link to all the data. Please help expedite this ASAP. I cannot fly.

Thanks for your log, we have escalated it to our engineers for analysis, will keep you updated soon.
2017-9-26
Use props
pashas_dad
lvl.4
United States

Hi Mindy,
This issue has been going on since this past Sunday, can we kindly get some action on this please? I am trying to be patient but things are moving very slowly and I still have the horizon tilt problem very bad on my Spark.
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

pashas_dad Posted at 2017-9-27 09:21
Hi Mindy,
This issue has been going on since this past Sunday, can we kindly get some action on this please? I am trying to be patient but things are moving very slowly and I still have the horizon tilt problem very bad on my Spark.

Really sorry to have kept you waiting. Here is the suggestion from our engineers: please adjust Gimbal Roll to 0 in Gimbal Settings, then have a try.
For the Panorama failure issue, since the black box you provided has little info after analysis, we still need the screenshot of error message, the screenshot of version info in General Settings, the model of your mobile device and new black box data.
We apologize if there is inconvenience caused, thanks for your time.
2017-9-27
Use props
pashas_dad
lvl.4
United States

Oh boy, looks like we have to do this all over again, 5 days later ! I'm sorry but this is getting ridiculous.
I checked that the Gimbal Roll was set to 0, (it never was set any different).

I am using an iPad mini 4 running iOS 11.

Here is a link to the new Black Box data.=, Data Upload files, a video showing how bad the horizon tilt is, two screen grabs of pano error messages and screen grab of version info:

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... Mkg1aTg?usp=sharing

Can you please, please expedite this analysis quickly and possibly issue a return label ASAP?  I do have DJI care for this Spark also. This only started happening right after my Spark RC controller was replaced and sent back to me if that matters.
Please respond ASAP !!!
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

pashas_dad Posted at 2017-9-28 11:48
Oh boy, looks like we have to do this all over again, 5 days later ! I'm sorry but this is getting ridiculous.
I checked that the Gimbal Roll was set to 0, (it never was set any different).

Really appreciate your time and patience, this issue hardly occurs, please allow us some time to analyze, I have informed our engineers to expedite the process, will keep you updated shortly.
2017-9-28
Use props
pashas_dad
lvl.4
United States

Thank you. I appreciate your help and expediting.
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

pashas_dad Posted at 2017-9-29 04:06
Thank you. I appreciate your help and expediting.

Really appreciate your patience.
2017-9-29
Use props
pashas_dad
lvl.4
United States

Would you kindly give me a status of this?  It has been 3 days!  I have been patient.
2017-10-1
Use props
pashas_dad
lvl.4
United States

I have just submitted a request to DJI service repair request since I am not getting anywhere by waiting on this forum. I mentioned that you, Mindy, have been trying to help me but am getting nowhere after 10 days of waiting and submitting multiple data to you. Perhaps they will open a case for this shortly. I am very disappointed in how slow things are moving.
Things are moving much much too slowly.

This horizon tilting issue is a problem that was NOT there ever before and recently developed. There is obviously something wrong that needs immediate attention !!  Additionally the panoramas also fail possibly due to the same reason. As soon as the gimbal moves in azimuth it tilts as the two videos I sent you clearly show.

2017-10-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

pashas_dad Posted at 2017-10-2 17:21
I have just submitted a request to DJI service repair request since I am not getting anywhere by waiting on this forum. I mentioned that you, Mindy, have been trying to help me but am getting nowhere after 10 days of waiting and submitting multiple data to you. Perhaps they will open a case for this shortly. I am very disappointed in how slow things are moving.
Things are moving much much too slowly.

We are so sorry to let you down, the result didn’t come out before Chinese National Day Holiday. We are unable to give you an update at moment. It’s good to know you filled in online repair form, it’s better to send in and local repair team will take care of it.
If you need any assistance during the repair process, please let us know without hesitation, we will do our best to assist.
2017-10-2
Use props
pashas_dad
lvl.4
United States

I would appreciate if you could still follow up and let me know ASAP of what the analyses of all the data I have sent shows.
I eagerly await their response!
2017-10-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

pashas_dad Posted at 2017-10-3 15:56
I would appreciate if you could still follow up and let me know ASAP of what the analyses of all the data I have sent shows.
I eagerly await their response!

Sorry for keeping you waiting. Our engineers suggested you to send it in for fully diagnosis. Please start a case and send it in: http://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav. Please tell us your case number once you got it. Sincerely apologize for all inconvenience.
2017-10-3
Use props
墨老爷子
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

Please confirm the gimbal roll and gimbal pitch  settings are both 0. If they were already set to be 0, and the un-level issue still exit, please contact repair services.
2017-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules