RC disconnected mid flight
1301 13 2017-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8e2bcf7d
lvl.1
United States

Had my first issue after many sucessful flights. The RC lost connection with the Mavic even though it was only about 30 feet away. it would not respond to any controls. Tried restarting the app, unplugging and rebooting the tablet but nothing helped. After a while it returned to home but just hovered about 6 feet off the ground. I could not get it to descend. Reached up and grabbed it but it fought to hold its altitude. I let go and it eventually landed. What can you do in this situation? Should I have shut down the RC and restarted it.
Afraid to fly now. Should I send it in for service?

2017-9-23
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

You need to have a look at the log files to see if there are any error messages. Initially, in the DJI GO 4 app, have a look at the flight record. Also have a look at the warning messages. You can also upload your flight record from your tablet to Phantom Help to get more info:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Please let us know what firmware versions you are on for the Mavic and RC, the type of tablet and the version of the DJI GO 4 app.
2017-9-23
Use props
fans8e2bcf7d
lvl.1
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-9-23 20:06
You need to have a look at the log files to see if there are any error messages. Initially, in the DJI GO 4 app, have a look at the flight record. Also have a look at the warning messages. You can also upload your flight record from your tablet to Phantom Help to get more info:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Here is the log file:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8WID5PQZ38B34FAQP4YH/
It just stopped at 36.2 seconds with no error messages.
Mavic is on .700 firmware, Go4 app was 4.13. Tablet was Nexus 7 (2013) running android 6.01.

I am asking again. What should I have done to try to reconnect the RC with the Mavic?
2017-9-24
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

sometimes mine will disconnect at least you had the disconnect feature set and return t home. Did it say on remote disconnect or did you just see the icon blinking? did you try flipping it into sport mode and see what happen? hopefully it get figured out. maybe something with new update?
2017-9-24
Use props
LivinLarge
lvl.1
United States

GroTToFlyeR Posted at 2017-9-24 05:54
sometimes mine will disconnect at least you had the disconnect feature set and return t home. Did it say on remote disconnect or did you just see the icon blinking? did you try flipping it into sport mode and see what happen? hopefully it get figured out. maybe something with new update?

No error message on remote. Did not switch to sport mode but it would not have helped since the remote was not communicating with the Mavic.
2017-9-24
Use props
LivinLarge
lvl.1
United States

fans8e2bcf7d Posted at 2017-9-24 05:18
Here is the log file:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8WID5PQZ38B34FAQP4YH/
It just stopped at 36.2 seconds with no error messages.

To be more precise, The Mavic firmware is V01.03.0700, the RC firmware is V01.03.0550, the GO4 app is 4.1.3
2017-9-24
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

LivinLarge Posted at 2017-9-24 08:29
To be more precise, The Mavic firmware is V01.03.0700, the RC firmware is V01.03.0550, the GO4 app is 4.1.3

Well the first thing you need to do is update the firmware in both the Mavic and RC preferably to the latest and definitely so they are both the same. You really should not fly with different firmware in those two. Also update your DJI GO 4 app.
Normally, if the app disconnects, there is no need to panic, just use the remote to fly the drone home.
Are you certain that the RC was not working?
In a case where the RC is not working then it is possible to turn it off and restart it but that will trigger the drone to return home. If you reestablish the connection then you can continue flying but I would be seriously looking at why the RC disconnected. It is not unusual for the app to disconnect.
2017-9-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

If the connection between the drone and RC is unable, restart the app or replug the cable would not help. You can try to adjust the antennas of the drone, or restart the RC which takes guts. So is there any impact damage on the drone and is the connection recovered? For your case, I would suggest updating the firmware to see if everything gets back to work.
2017-9-25
Use props
LivinLarge
lvl.1
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-9-24 19:33
Well the first thing you need to do is update the firmware in both the Mavic and RC preferably to the latest and definitely so they are both the same. You really should not fly with different firmware in those two. Also update your DJI GO 4 app.
Normally, if the app disconnects, there is no need to panic, just use the remote to fly the drone home.
Are you certain that the RC was not working?

Is there a known issue with this firmware that causes the RC to disconnect? Is this something that has been fixed in later firmware?
I am certain that the RC was not connected. None of the sticks or buttons had any effect. The Mavic detected the loss of signal and returned to home. I have not had a single incident where the app disconnected.
2017-9-25
Use props
LivinLarge
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-25 01:20
If the connection between the drone and RC is unable, restart the app or replug the cable would not help. You can try to adjust the antennas of the drone, or restart the RC which takes guts. So is there any impact damage on the drone and is the connection recovered? For your case, I would suggest updating the firmware to see if everything gets back to work.

There is no damage, never even a hard landing. I have since flown two flights with full batteries to empty and no issues. If this happens again, I will shut off and restart the RC as a last resort.
2017-9-25
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

all your firmware should be on the same version..
2017-9-25
Use props
LivinLarge
lvl.1
United States

DJ Enertia Posted at 2017-9-25 07:04
all your firmware should be on the same version..

Having different firmware versions caused the RC to disconnect?
2017-9-25
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

LivinLarge Posted at 2017-9-25 11:14

Well it very well could have. There is a good reason for having the same firmware in both the RC and Mavic and that is compatibility. You may be risking your warranty by flying with different firmware versions.
2017-9-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

LivinLarge Posted at 2017-9-25 11:14

It could be. The drone might get disconnected due to the inconsistent version.  
2017-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules