14347 26 2017-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BManCan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2085810 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Is there any option to change the default file name convention through the DJI Go app?  I have both an Inspire 1 and a Mavic Pro, and they both use the same name format DJI_####.jpg.
I usually store my photos and videos in separate folders based on the location of the shoot.  I have run into a few instances where the Mavic and Inspire file names were identical when transferring from the SD Card to storage folder. This leads to the possibility of accidentally overwriting the previous file or having to manually rename the newer file.
I would really like to have an option to change the default naming from DJI_#### to something user defined, maybe IN1_#### for the Inspire 1 and MVP_#### for the Mavic Pro.

Maybe this could be a feature request for and upcoming software or firmware release.

BManCan

2017-9-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Good idea, I would forward this need to the engineers. But, it doesn't support changing the files' name at the moment. For your case, I would really suggest using a different SD card.
2017-9-24
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-24 18:17
I would really suggest using a different SD card.

He is using different SD cards (it sounds like); his problem is when it comes time to move the files into "the" storage folder.

BMan-  Is it too much trouble to create subfolders with the aircraft name?

If you don't like that straightforward approach, then what I'd do is write a .bat file which renames and copies the files all in one click.  It would be much faster than what you're doing now and hassle-free.  Errr I guess setting the destination folder would be a hassle, but certainly a .bat script which simply renames the files on the SD card would be painless.
2017-9-24
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I also think we need an option to have the name in format year-month-date-hour-minute-second!!! Then we will avoid duplicates ever sorting will be a breeze
2017-9-24
Use props
BManCan
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-24 18:25
He is using different SD cards (it sounds like); his problem is when it comes time to move the files into "the" storage folder.

BMan-  Is it too much trouble to create subfolders with the aircraft name?

Thanks for the suggestions. I have decided to do something similar for now.  I leave  the Inspire filemames with the DJI prefix, and have setup a batch file to rename the Mavic files to DJM_###.jpg.

2017-9-25
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-24 18:17
Good idea, I would forward this need to the engineers. But, it doesn't support changing the files' name at the moment. For your case, I would really suggest using a different SD card.

Hi Thor.

In fact, I would suggest that DJI uses the name/format "YYYY-MM-DD_HH-MM-SS" for the time the recording starts (video) or the image is taken. Then it should be possible to prevent two recordings from getting the same name so we do not have to keep the files separate if we have two DJI products.   

Regards Leif.
2017-9-25
Use props
PESMITH
New
United States

Yes, please improve the file naming convention for pictures and movies.  The format suggested by LANDBO would be a great solution as it codifies the date in the name field.  Even if the file modified date gets changed while copying, then the picture date/time is preserved in the name field.  Very good idea.

I too have problems with duplicate file names but from a different operation than BMANCAN.  For example, when my 64 GB SD card gets full I copy the files to my PC and then erase files from the SD card and re-insert into my Mavic. When next files are written to the empty SD card they start with duplicate names, i.e., DJI_0001.JPG, DJI_0002.JPG, etc.  When the SD card gets full again, and i copy the files to my PC, i now have different files with the same name.  Windows copies and renames the second batch of files so the names are now like this DJI_0001.JPG, DJI_0001(2).JPG, DJI_0002.JPG, DJI_0002(2).JPG, etc.
2017-9-25
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

PESMITH Posted at 2017-9-25 20:26
so the names are now like this DJI_0001.JPG, DJI_0001(2).JPG, DJI_0002.JPG, DJI_0002(2).JPG, etc.

Sounds like you do not have your Mavic set to resume with the number it left off at.  I forget what DJI Go 4 calls this setting.  That would solve most of your problems right there, at least until it wrapped around from 999 again.

It also seems like you might have a ton of files in the same directory?  You shouldn't be dumping thousands and thousands of files in the same directory as it slows performance.  I only mention this because organizing your files a bit better would kill two birds with one stone:  No name collisions, and better filesystem performance.
2017-9-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Very appreciate all the suggestions above. We will forward to the engineers to see and we hope we will take the most optimization one and bring it to the reality.
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Update, it is from our engineers:

Hi BManCan,

Thanks for your advice. We will talk this feature with related guys. Maybe we will support this feature in the subsequent firmware.

BTW, now, I advise you to set the naming rules as serial, then it will generate the different file names in the SD, then when you do the file copy, the file name will be different.
2017-9-28
Use props
BManCan
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Are you referring to the setting for File Index Mode? The two options available are Reset and Continuous.
Please explain what you mean by Serial setting, and how it will provide different file names.

Thanks again.
2017-10-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

BManCan Posted at 2017-10-9 18:30
Are you referring to the setting for File Index Mode? The two options available are Reset and Continuous.
Please explain what you mean by Serial setting, and how it will provide different file names.

Yes, it means continuous in this text.
2017-10-11
Use props
JCFP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3681729 ft

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-28 01:30
Update, it is from our engineers:

Hi BManCan,

2nd (or third, or 4th) the YYYYMMDDHHMMSS format!
2018-8-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

JCFP Posted at 2018-8-16 15:46
2nd (or third, or 4th) the YYYYMMDDHHMMSS format!

Thanks for your suggestion, JCFP. I will note it down.
2018-8-18
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
Flight distance : 395072 ft
United States

How would this work exactly?  Does the DJI Go app communicate the initial filename format to the Mavic, but what if the Mavic is 'out of range' for a moment and a second video file needs to be created due to the 4gb threshold? Where would the time/date file format originate from? The device with DJI Go or the Mavic?  (I didn't think the Mavic kept time/date).  Additionally, I use Litchi for mission runs where it's not unusual to lose signal for a minute or so. Would this work in 3rd party apps like Litchi? Just curious.
2018-8-18
Use props
urielp
New

Is that solved? I'm looking how to change the file name in Osmo Pocket into YYYY-MM-DD HH-MM-SS. Is that possible?
2019-10-4
Use props
squarehead
New
Flight distance : 25220 ft

United States

Any update/resolution to this?  I've got a Phantom Pro, 2 Osmo Actions, and a Pocket, and the uniform DJI_ prefix complicates my file management workflow.  Would be awesome to be able to set prefix per device.
2021-4-22
Use props
Astmens
lvl.1

Spain

I have DJI pocket 2, and I would love to have a time-based file naming structure as well so there are no duplicates after I import them in my computer!
Any updates?
2021-7-31
Use props
BaddogTwo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2783189 ft
United States

Bulk Rename Utility is the tool I use to quickly change file names.  It is free on Windows 10
2022-3-9
Use props
djiuser_9tmDFOg6c1nn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204140 ft
United States

I ran into this too.  I've gone ahead and made a Python script sync_data_from_dji_sd_card.py to take care of renaming files using date modified.
Gist: https://gist.github.com/petered/da8ba1018a79e795119baaacc514da4d

You plug the SD card into reader, find the location of the DCIM folder (eg. /Volume/Untitled/DCIM on my mac), and run e.g.

python sync_data_from_dji_sd_card.py -s /Volumes/Untitled/DCIM -d ~/dji_data

Here's the doc on what it does:

Syncs data from DJI SD card to a local destination folder, renaming files using modified date (GMT).
    Does not re-copy files that already exist at the destination (unless override is selected or file-size does not match)
    This is useful because DJI's original file names are just sequence numbers like DJI_0214 - which will reset once card is reformatted.

Files and folders are renamed using the modified date and original sequence number on the drone.  E.g.
        /Volumes/Untitled/DCIM/100MEDIA/DJI_0214.JPG -> /Users/peter/dji_data/dji_2022-06-15_20-50-18_0214.jpg
        /Volumes/Untitled/DCIM/100MEDIA/DJI_0215.MP4 -> /Users/peter/dji_data/dji_2022-06-16_12-36-51_0215.mp4
                                                                   ^ Sequence Number                           ^ Date          ^ Time    ^ Sequence Number

Panorama source files (not - not the panos themselves, which only exist on the phone) will have their folders renamed, e.g.
        /Volumes/Untitled/DCIM/PANORAMA/100_0050/DJI_0015.JPG -> /Users/peter/dji_data/PANORAMA/dji_2022-04-09_10-03-28_0050/DJI_0015.JPG
        /Volumes/Untitled/DCIM/PANORAMA/100_0050/DJI_0016.JPG -> /Users/peter/dji_data/PANORAMA/dji_2022-04-09_10-03-28_0050/DJI_0016.JPG

2022-6-26
Use props
peteredoc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204140 ft
United States

The best though, would probably be to just use a ULID in the name like `DJI_ 01G6GR97VGSB0DVQGW5XX3DHTA.mp4`.

Then
- Sorting by name also sorts by timestamp.
- you can extract the creation date from the filename (see the ULID spec - the timestamp is embedded)
- you're basically guaranteed never to have a filename collision, not only between recordings from a single drone but between all recordings on all drones.
2022-6-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

second vote for bulk rename utility, though I'd rename the photos on the card before moving them to storage.
2022-6-26
Use props
BByt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57100 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-27 01:02
Very appreciate all the suggestions above. We will forward to the engineers to see and we hope we will take the most optimization one and bring it to the reality.

This thread seems several years old.  Did DJI every make this more user friendly at all?  I use different SD cards and it is a real pain when it generates the same file names.  Simply add a timestamp to the name would solve this issue and should be a very easy thing to add.  It is causing me so much extra work.
2023-3-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BaddogTwo Posted at 2022-3-9 10:39
Bulk Rename Utility is the tool I use to quickly change file names.  It is free on Windows 10

Bulk rename utility is very good but there is one thing I really wish they would add or explain in non computer -speak .......how to add 'x' to the value of a number e,g, if you had files dji_0001, dji_0002, dji_0003 and wanted to add 2 to each count,  so that they became dji_0003, dji_0004, dji_0005.

I might have seen mention of the use of "regular_expressions" in connection with this but that sends my brain into a fog.

I end up having to delete the old numbers and add new ones over limited consecutively named/numbered file ranges, then do the same thing over the next range of consectutively named files. That can get tedious if multiple 'random' single files are missing through out the folder being processed.
2023-3-19
Use props
BaddogTwo
lvl.4
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-19 09:57
Bulk rename utility is very good but there is one thing I really wish they would add or explain in non computer -speak .......how to add 'x' to the value of a number e,g, if you had files dji_0001, dji_0002, dji_0003 and wanted to add 2 to each count,  so that they became dji_0003, dji_0004, dji_0005.

I might have seen mention of the use of "regular_expressions" in connection with this but that sends my brain into a fog.

I use regular expression a lot because I am a programmer, but in your scenario, which I run into a lot for large mapping missions with 4K to 5K worth of images,  I just simply append the letter "_A", "_B", "_C", etc... to each group, then through all of them in one folder
2023-4-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BaddogTwo Posted at 4-1 08:24
I use regular expression a lot because I am a programmer, but in your scenario, which I run into a lot for large mapping missions with 4K to 5K worth of images,  I just simply append the letter "_A", "_B", "_C", etc... to each group, then through all of them in one folder

Could you perhaps explain "regular expressions" in a non computer speak way?
2023-4-1
Use props
BaddogTwo
lvl.4
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-1 09:56
Could you perhaps explain "regular expressions" in a non computer speak way?

Sorry for the late response, been off the forum for  little bit.  Busy teaching drone classes.

Regular Expression Explained...https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/r/regex.htm

Howver, Bulk Rename Utility sort of does it for you.
https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/
2023-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules