Flying over water
1584 25 2017-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37500 ft
Australia

I see that it is not recommended that you fly the Mavic Pro over water. Yet some of the best video footage has been fllying over water. What is the problem for the MP when flying over water and is there some precaution that needs to be implemented before flying over water?

Similar comments are made about flying in low light but more and more videos are around showing great footage in the late evening. Is there a common problem here for both types of fllying. I realise that there would be extra risks for both types of flight due to the conditions not being optimal but is there something additional we need to be doing to prevent real problems developing flying with these conditions? Thanks
2017-9-24
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1386637 ft
United States

I fly over water 99% of the time and i have had zero issues, i got my Mavic 1 week after it's release and have countless flights !
2017-9-24
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

If you are going to fly low, you should turn off Landing Protection, to avoid the quad to start an automatic landing sequence which you can't  abort...
2017-9-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There is no problem flying Mavic over water, in fact flying over water is one of the safest places to fly almos no obstacles much less radio interference.
2017-9-25
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1386637 ft
United States

My longest flight was 3.4 miles each way over the ocean at 10' of elevation
2017-9-25
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Australia

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-9-24 23:19
If you are going to fly low, you should turn off Landing Protection, to avoid the quad to start an automatic landing sequence which you can't  abort...

I am not familiar with 'Landing Protection' - I will have to go look for it in the settings. Is that what it is called in the menu? Thanks for the warning though I wasn't aware of it before when flying low.
2017-9-26
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Australia

Mavvy Posted at 2017-9-24 19:14
I fly over water 99% of the time and i have had zero issues, i got my Mavic 1 week after it's release and have countless flights !

Thanks Mavvy
2017-9-26
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-25 10:35
There is no problem flying Mavic over water, in fact flying over water is one of the safest places to fly almos no obstacles much less radio interference.

Thanks hallmark007 - reassuring.
2017-9-26
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Australia

Mavvy Posted at 2017-9-25 10:47
My longest flight was 3.4 miles each way over the ocean at 10' of elevation

Thanks good to know.
2017-9-26
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've flown dozens of time over water without any issues. Typically fly in (S) Sport mode with turns of the sensors - both front and bottom and I've gone as low as 17 feet over water with no issues.
2017-9-26
Use props
dlauchen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1442201 ft
Ghana

Me too, I have had many flights over water without problems. Until this happened https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=114336&pid=974787&page=1&extra=&mobile=2#pid974787
It's still unresolved what the reason was at the end. But be careful and keep in mind that if your baby goes down, it will go for a dive. Not exactly what the mavic is designed for...
2017-9-26
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Australia

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-9-26 16:43
I've flown dozens of time over water without any issues. Typically fly in (S) Sport mode with turns of the sensors - both front and bottom and I've gone as low as 17 feet over water with no issues.

I was watching a video yesterday on Youtube and the bottom sensors ARE working in sports mode - this guy was able to prove it a number of times because it was a surprise to him too - if I can find the video link I'll put it up but not all the sensors are off in sports mode (apparently). I'm new to the Mavic Pro so I don't want to sound like I'm the expert but the video was interesting.
2017-9-28
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

mpwobbly Posted at 2017-9-28 15:43
I was watching a video yesterday on Youtube and the bottom sensors ARE working in sports mode - this guy was able to prove it a number of times because it was a surprise to him too - if I can find the video link I'll put it up but not all the sensors are off in sports mode (apparently). I'm new to the Mavic Pro so I don't want to sound like I'm the expert but the video was interesting.

Would you re-check and post that link right on here?

When I turn on (S)port mode, the sensors icon is lit in red. This means inactive. I've even tested having the Mavic head straight into my direction and it doesn't stop nor any alerts which indicates inactivity.

For reference see below.   

Straight from MP Manual:

S-mode (Sport) - The aircraft is using GPS for positioning. As Forward and Downward Vision Systems are disabled, the aircraft will not be able to sense and avoid obstacles when in Sport Mode. Ground Station and the Intelligent Flight functions are also not available in Sport Mode.
Note: Aircraft responses are optimized for agility and speed making it more responsive to stick movements.
  The Forward Vision System is disabled in S-mode (Sport), which means the aircraft will not be able to automatically avoid obstacles on its route.
The aircraft’s maximum speed and braking distance are signi cantly increased in S-mode (Sport). A minimum braking distance of 30 meters is required in windless conditions. Descending speed is signi cantly increased in S-mode (Sport).
The aircraft’s responsiveness is signicantly increased in S-mode (Sport), which means a small stick movement on the remote controller will translate into a large travel distance of the aircraft. Be vigilant and maintain adequate maneuvering space during  flight.
2017-9-28
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Australia

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-9-28 15:52
Would you re-check and post that link right on here?

When I turn on (S)port mode, the sensors icon is lit in red. This means inactive. I've even tested having the Mavic head straight into my direction and it doesn't stop nor any alerts which indicates inactivity.

Hi Sportbike-Pilot, here is the link  

Go to option 2 (Sports Mode) at about 3.07 along the video time line and watch carefully. Let me know what you think?

Cheers
2017-9-28
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I've seen that video before and found that strange b/c it toggled between the two modes. Looks like it remained off then switched on. When I tested mine, it did not avoid obstacles.
2017-9-28
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Australia

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-9-28 16:28
I've seen that video before and found that strange b/c it toggled between the two modes. Looks like it remained off then switched on. When I tested mine, it did not avoid obstacles.

Not clear to me what you’re saying but the video clearly shows bottom sensors are active in ‘Sports ‘ mode do you agree?
2017-9-29
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-9-28 16:28

It's only the bottom senors that are active in sport mode. test it yourself!
2017-9-29
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2017-9-29 02:53

I think I'll do a test run.
2017-9-29
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

mpwobbly Posted at 2017-9-29 02:40
Not clear to me what you’re saying but the video clearly shows bottom sensors are active in ‘Sports ‘ mode do you agree?

Yeah based on that video it's definitely active in the hovering position. guess the manual is obsolete.
2017-9-29
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2017-9-29 02:53

Strange b/c the manual clearly says;

Forward and Downward Vision Systems are disabled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For Moderators:

Is the manual inaccurate with the printed info or is the copter's downward sensors active in a hovering position?

S-mode (Sport) - The aircraft is using GPS for positioning. As Forward and Downward Vision Systems are disabled, the aircraft will not be able to sense and avoid obstacles when in Sport Mode. Ground Station and the Intelligent Flight functions are also not available in Sport Mode.
Note: Aircraft responses are optimized for agility and speed making it more responsive to stick movements.
  The Forward Vision System is disabled in S-mode (Sport), which means the aircraft will not be able to automatically avoid obstacles on its route.

2017-9-29
Use props
fans015d3523
lvl.3
Flight distance : 467799 ft
Spain

mpwobbly Posted at 2017-9-28 16:10
Hi Sportbike-Pilot, here is the link  https://youtu.be/tK6Ln1KnSLE

Go to option 2 (Sports Mode) at about 3.07 along the video time line and watch carefully. Let me know what you think?

If the Landing Protection is disabled, the result is the same.
2017-9-29
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Australia

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-9-29 04:44
Strange b/c the manual clearly says;

Forward and Downward Vision Systems are disabled.

Crazy eh - when the manual says one thing and it doesn't match? Bit like watching a dubbed Chinese/Japanese movie. Love the emoji with the spinning eyes I can relate to that.
2017-9-30
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wondering if anyone knows if the sensors are actually disabled ?? or the manual has misprint? or a fluke?
Is the manual inaccurate with the printed info or is the copter's downward sensors active in a hovering position?

Per manual:

The Forward Vision System is disabled in S-mode (Sport), which means the aircraft will not be able to automatically avoid obstacles on its route."
2017-10-1
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

mpwobbly Posted at 2017-9-30 21:45
Crazy eh - when the manual says one thing and it doesn't match? Bit like watching a dubbed Chinese/Japanese movie. Love the emoji with the spinning eyes I can relate to that.

Agree, just bizarre.
2017-10-1
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It only mentions that the visual systems will be disabled, no mention is made of the ultrasonic sensors used to maintain vertical position being inoperative.

2017-10-1
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-10-1 06:45
It only mentions that the visual systems will be disabled, no mention is made of the ultrasonic sensors used to maintain vertical position being inoperative.

"ultrasonic sensors used to maintain vertical position being inoperative."

Interesting. I always thought the GPS kept the copter lock in place when it hovered in sport mode but sensors were disabled. Guess I was wrong.
2017-10-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules