Video of kayaking with DJI Spark
1561 7 2017-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eric04401
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4531 ft
United States

This is a video of my first time flying the Spark while kayaking.  I took off out of my hand in gesture mode, which was a little scary because it was flying right in front of my face and its hard to back up when you're seated in a kayak!  After flying with the RC to put it in position, I then put it in Active Track and had it fly in a circle around me as I paddled.  To land, I couldn't get gesture control to work (difficult when not standing) so I just positioned the drone above me, then hit swipe to land on the phone screen and caught it with my hand.  If anyone has any tips on how to operate the drone while kayaking, I'd love to hear them.  My biggest concern was that if the Spark tried to Return to Home, it would go into the water because I was moving, so I brought the Spark back with plenty of battery life remaining.  
2017-9-26
Use props
Kardinal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 260591 ft
United States

Great video!  I am trying to get fishing footage off my kayak.  Not so much me but my 12 year old son who is a pro staff for several companies as well as locally sponsored by a raft and kayak store so I need to get some good photos and videos to keep them happy.  

Our solution so far focuses on safe retrieval of the drone off a moving platform like a kayak,  We just couldn't consistently catch it by hand unless it was dead calm if you are out alone.  Especially tough when 99% of our fishing is done in the ocean and you factor in a couple of foot of swell.   I think we have a method figured out after some trial and error.  It's not foolproof yet.  My spark has ended up on the bottom of a lake for about 2 minutes once.  Amazingly, my spark still flies perfectly.  Once I have it a little more refined I will try and post it.  Our catch rate off of kayaks was over 95%...but 5% failure rate is about 4.9% too high I think still.  lol.  

Thanks for posting!  
2017-9-26
Use props
TonyFonagerDK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245013 ft
Denmark

Looks amazing - must be scary doing all that taking off/landing from a kayak - thumbs up for that ;-)
2017-9-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great video.
Thanks!
2017-9-26
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

I think you did a great job as it was your first time flew your spark while kayaking.
2017-9-26
Use props
Javey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503458 ft
United States

Love the vid, I have not tried the follow feature yet.  Seems that it works flawlessly!
2017-9-27
Use props
Ryan's Sparky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302316 ft
Norway

good work
2017-10-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

A good beginning! The green and water always please me. Happy flying!
2017-10-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules