Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark Disconnects From Remote In Mid Flight
2896 17 2017-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone Techie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 356027 ft
  • >>>
United States

My DJI Spark disconnects in mid flight even if I have a full charge. Also battery loses charge very quickly under normal weather conditions. I am afraid of a fly away. This has been happening since the last update. Any reason why this is happening? Also triPod mode not slow anymore, ascending altitude, decending altitude, and all functions. Any ideas? This is very frustrating.
2017-9-26
Use props
LeChuck71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68786 ft
Germany

Are you sure that the RC is disconnecting or is it the app?
RC disconnect should be indicated by a red led on the RC and a RTH after 2 seconds (or so), if the app has disco then you will "just" loose visual feedback but you can still control the spark

Still both situations are pretty exiting ;)
2017-9-26
Use props
Drone Techie
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

LeChuck71 Posted at 2017-9-26 22:43
Are you sure that the RC is disconnecting or is it the app?
RC disconnect should be indicated by a red led on the RC and a RTH after 2 seconds (or so), if the app has disco then you will "just" loose visual feedback but you can still control the spark

No the remote is still on, but my IPhone says it disconnected. I am hard wired and it disconnects. I can control it, however no visual on the screen. some Youtube videos say bring it down ASAP. I'm concerned of a fly away.  
2017-9-26
Use props
LeChuck71
lvl.4
Germany

Hm, a hard wired (OTG I guess) is something new. I had multiple disco's via wifi - and a complete phone shutdown due to low battery ;)
Still could control the Spark and bring him back. I guess most of the reported "fly aways" are actually the user steering the spark but loose orientation therefor puhsing the sticks and off it goes.

During my power loss I pushed RTH on the RC and everything went perfectly - rises my level of confidence in the Spark.

Maybe you should reinstall the app, some people report that it helped with "strange behavior"

DJI will only tell you the OTG is not supported and thats it

2017-9-26
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Your thread title is misleading - Your Spark IS NOT disconnecting from your RC since you still have control of the aircraft!
What battery loses charge very quickly? Your remotes or your Sparks?
Tripod mode still works as intended on v.060 firmware
What does "and all functions" mean in your post?
2017-9-26
Use props
Drone Techie
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

LeChuck71 Posted at 2017-9-26 23:30
Hm, a hard wired (OTG I guess) is something new. I had multiple disco's via wifi - and a complete phone shutdown due to low battery ;)
Still could control the Spark and bring him back. I guess most of the reported "fly aways" are actually the user steering the spark but loose orientation therefor puhsing the sticks and off it goes.

LOL I also hit the RTH and it over flew and almost hit a park light pole. thank God it the obstacle avoidance was on. Had to bring it back manually. I hate the update, I hate the fact they illegally threatened their customers that we will not be able to fly unless we did the mandatory update. Yeah we own the drone.  we should be able to pick and choose the updates we want. If it has nothing to do with critical, like it will fix bugs, then update. Hopefully hint hint hint to DJI they will fix the disconnect bugs.
2017-9-26
Use props
Drone Techie
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Tharg (from the Posted at 2017-9-26 23:38
Your thread title is misleading - Your Spark IS NOT disconnecting from your RC since you still have control of the aircraft!
What battery loses charge very quickly? Your remotes or your Sparks?
Tripod mode still works as intended on v.060 firmware

lol It's late here. It's disconnecting from the app. My flight is under 10 mins under normal weather with minimal breeze. The tripod mode, is to fast. On my Mavic it goes about 2.5 mph. The Spark 8-10 mph.
2017-9-26
Use props
LeChuck71
lvl.4
Germany

;)
well just make sure your RTH altitude is higher than any obstacle at your home point. During RTH the craft (spark, mavic ... maybe others) can overshoot the homepoint a bit. During descend it will correct this and switch to precision landing if available.

2017-9-26
Use props
Drone Techie
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

LeChuck71 Posted at 2017-9-26 23:43
;)
well just make sure your RTH altitude is higher than any obstacle at your home point. During RTH the craft (spark, mavic ... maybe others) can overshoot the homepoint a bit. During descend it will correct this and switch to precision landing if available.

they should have the precision landing on the park too. It freaked me out on the Mavic Pro when I pressed precision landing and it went up higher than 4 feet! it went to 18 feet! then later that evening it does that to photo the landing area better.  I had the spark at 20 meters, didnt want to go higher since it looks like a fly that high LOL.
2017-9-26
Use props
fansea2846d9
lvl.2
Spain

This happened to me yesterday twice. I was using the RC with OTG, data, WiFi and Bluetooth disabled on my Samsung Galaxy s8+. On my first battery, reached 500m and everything was ok, then turned around the spark to fly it back to my position and it suddenly lost connection and enabled RTH. I was afraid of a fly away son I ran into the direction of the drone and recovered the link when it was around 250m from me.

The second time I wanted to test this behaviour on a non dangerous place and it happened exactly the same, I mean, if the drone is around 500m from the RC and it is facing to you, you will lose connection. This makes me think that the antenna is on the back side of the spark but I cannot remember this happened to me with the older firmware versions.

It would be great to have some moderator confirm if this is true or not, because of so, it a really bad hardware configuration
2017-9-26
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

What is the APP version? As always, it is not recommended to use the OTG cable, please try WiFi connection, see if it is the same. As for the flight time and Tripod mode, could you please check the flight records on the APP? You'll see the specific flight time and speed when you replaying the flight records, please post some screenshots about it for better assistance.
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

fansea2846d9 Posted at 2017-9-26 23:56
This happened to me yesterday twice. I was using the RC with OTG, data, WiFi and Bluetooth disabled on my Samsung Galaxy s8+. On my first battery, reached 500m and everything was ok, then turned around the spark to fly it back to my position and it suddenly lost connection and enabled RTH. I was afraid of a fly away son I ran into the direction of the drone and recovered the link when it was around 250m from me.

The second time I wanted to test this behaviour on a non dangerous place and it happened exactly the same, I mean, if the drone is around 500m from the RC and it is facing to you, you will lose connection. This makes me think that the antenna is on the back side of the spark but I cannot remember this happened to me with the older firmware versions.

The drone was triggered the RTH, right? It seems that your situation is different from the OP's. Have you tried to fly the drone in different open areas? If yes, how is it going?  Actually, 500m is a terrific distance in EU. 1.png
2017-9-27
Use props
LeChuck71
lvl.4
Germany

Drone Techie Posted at 2017-9-26 23:48
they should have the precision landing on the park too. It freaked me out on the Mavic Pro when I pressed precision landing and it went up higher than 4 feet! it went to 18 feet! then later that evening it does that to photo the landing area better.  I had the spark at 20 meters, didnt want to go higher since it looks like a fly that high LOL.

Spark does have precision landing ;)
2017-9-27
Use props
Drone Techie
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

LeChuck71 Posted at 2017-9-27 02:22
Spark does have precision landing ;)

Thank you
2017-11-17
Use props
Drone Techie
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-27 00:41
What is the APP version? As always, it is not recommended to use the OTG cable, please try WiFi connection, see if it is the same. As for the flight time and Tripod mode, could you please check the flight records on the APP? You'll see the specific flight time and speed when you replaying the flight records, please post some screenshots about it for better assistance.

If I fly WiFi, isn’t there a chance I can have a greater chance of a fly away?
2017-11-17
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Drone Techie Posted at 2017-11-17 14:26
If I fly WiFi, isn’t there a chance I can have a greater chance of a fly away?

Why would there be a greater chance?  I assume the RC is managing the video channel, the control channel, and the smartphone wifi channel.  DJI probably doesn't allow the controller's wifi to cause problems like a phone does when it fires up its bluetooth.  

The phone being prone to firing up a bluetooth signal on whatever it feels is confortable to the detriment of the Spark.

So far no one has proved benefits with the OTG cable but there is known issues with how the DJI Go app behaves.
2017-11-17
Use props
Drone Techie
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-11-17 17:16
Why would there be a greater chance?  I assume the RC is managing the video channel, the control channel, and the smartphone wifi channel.  DJI probably doesn't allow the controller's wifi to cause problems like a phone does when it fires up its bluetooth.  

The phone being prone to firing up a bluetooth signal on whatever it feels is confortable to the detriment of the Spark.

Thank you very much. You make a lot of sense. I’ll top using the OTG. cable
2017-11-25
Use props
Drone Techie
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-11-17 17:16

Thank you very much. You make a lot of sense. I’ll top using the OTG. cable

I have an Apple iPhone 6plus and since I followed your advice no issues. Hopefully it stays that way

2017-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules