Replacement Motor Arm Has Different Wiring
4691 12 2017-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
invictus
lvl.1
United States

One of the arms on my Mavic developed stress lines in the plastic and then eventually cracked.

I ordered a replacement arm from an "authorized DJI dealer" on ebay.

The new replacement arm looks and feels almost identical to the original, but I noticed the wiring is different.

The original motor wire is a 2-strand copper wire. The replacement motor wire is a finer multi-strand wire that is silver colored.

Was this a change DJI made, or is the authenticity of the replacement arm I purchased questionable? Images attached.

After installing the new arm I am getting:

3No.ESC Error
Contact DJI Support if it persists after restart.

Anyone have experience with this?

Wiring Differences

Wiring Differences

2017-9-28
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

U could just swap motors problem solved if unsure
2017-9-28
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

If it were me, I'd order three more.  That wiring is a lot better than the original.
2017-9-28
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-9-28 15:45
U could just swap motors problem solved if unsure

that sounds like best answer
2017-9-28
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

I believe the esc error is due to the soldering work. What type did you use. Lead free with very hot iron?
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I would strongly suggest sending the drone in for repair for the safety of flight and the maintenance of the warranty. Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back if there is a need. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.
2017-9-28
Use props
invictus
lvl.1
United States

Jeff7577 Posted at 2017-9-28 18:53
I believe the esc error is due to the soldering work. What type did you use. Lead free with very hot iron?

I don't use lead free solder for electronics. I've heard it's gotten better but I still think of it as only for plumbing.

MG Chemicals 63/37 Rosin Core Leaded Solder, 0.025" to be specific.

Hakko FX888D at 315C/600F.

They are surface mount, fairly large solder points. Hard to screw up.
2017-9-29
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Can you see where each wire leads to in the motor?
Compare this with the original.
You may have to invert the two white wires.
Just my 2 cents...
2017-9-30
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

You most likely have a bad connection. Especially if it only started after replacement. DJI uses lead free solder and coats their wiring with enamel. Try scraping the wire and using 800 degree tip.
2017-9-30
Use props
invictus
lvl.1
United States

Jeff7577 Posted at 2017-9-30 04:10
You most likely have a bad connection. Especially if it only started after replacement. DJI uses lead free solder and coats their wiring with enamel. Try scraping the wire and using 800 degree tip.

Thanks for the tip.
2017-9-30
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

Most likely if he got the wires backwards  the ESC should just spin the motor backwards, most likely u have a cold solder joint /bad connection....anyway it looks way different than the original so if it were me I would just put the original motor in problem solved
2017-9-30
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

Jeff that motor should be good to go....its probably from a shotty place/business. Wires should not have to be scraped especially for Little Motors like these...even for my rc helis i domt have to do that. You just have to tin them. If he screws up with scrake being the enamel it's going to not work out well like I said I would just change to the original motor. brushless motors don't go bad  like brushed , yes bearings do but that would be a long time away!!!
2017-9-30
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

Also every brushless motor has the enamel on the wires except for where it will be soldered anyway I use the solder for my Phantom 4 that had lead in it it was a 60-40 rosin core and everything was fine. Sorry for the posts I can't edit on my mobile I do not know why and talk to text sucks!
2017-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules