Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark repaired under warranty - weak GPS errors & drifting persist
12Next >
6653 63 2017-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
Flight distance : 944236 ft
United States

my original thread is located here. DJI diagnosed the issue as a bad GPS receiver, & it was replaced under warranty. however when i tested the newly repaired AC @ my local field, there were multiple weak GPS signal errors & even an ATTI mode incident forcing me to fly it back manually. thus, my Spark seems to be exhibiting the exact same symptoms as before (minus compass & IMU errors). i also experienced noticeable diagonal drift which was solved by performing an IMU calibration. unfortunately, the AC still wanders during hover.

right now, i'm about ready to enter a vote of no confidence on DJI altogether.

Diana - can you help? am pretty much at the end of my rope here...

2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Jcwconsulting, sorry for the unpleasant experience. Please tell me your previous case number so I can check more details for you. Thanks for your support.
2017-9-28
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-28 20:14
Jcwconsulting, sorry for the unpleasant experience. Please tell me your previous case number so I can check more details for you. Thanks for your support.

Elektra, thx for your reply - here's my original case #: CAS-980962-C8K4G2

if you can see what my options are, i'd greatly appreciate it. at this stage, i'm kind of ready to return it for a brand new warranty replacement.

thx much
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

jcwconsulting Posted at 2017-9-28 20:28
Elektra, thx for your reply - here's my original case #: CAS-980962-C8K4G2

if you can see what my options are, i'd greatly appreciate it. at this stage, i'm kind of ready to return it altogether for a refund.

Can you provide a screenshot with the error message? Please shoot a video when your AC wander during hover. Thanks for your update.
2017-9-28
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

If outside, AC wander during hover in "ATTI" mode is normal.

2017-9-28
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-28 22:15
Can you provide a screenshot with the error message? Please shoot a video when your AC wander during hover. Thanks for your update.

yes, will do - flying it again later today & should be able to recreate that error pretty easily. i've already captured some footage of the hover drift. will post both in a few hrs...

thx
2017-9-29
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

Ahmed Hussain Posted at 2017-9-28 22:57
If outside, AC wander during hover in "ATTI" mode is normal.

this was not in ATTI mode - it happened w/GPS lock of about 10 satellites
2017-9-29
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

jcwconsulting Posted at 2017-9-29 07:54
yes, will do - flying it again later today & should be able to recreate that error pretty easily. i've already captured some footage of the hover drift. will post both in a few hrs...

thx

That will be interesting to see, thank you for your efforts!
2017-9-29
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-29 08:24
That will be interesting to see, thank you for your efforts!

no worries - it's all in my best interest, anyway...
2017-9-29
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-28 22:15

okay, so i flew 3x today - during the first flight, my Spark threw an ATTI mode error & had to be landed manually (nothing new lately). during the second flight it held GPS lock throughout, for some unknown reason. during the third flight i experienced multiple weak GPS signal errors & hover drift. plus on 2 of the 3 flights, its GPS lock consistently fluctuated between 7-14 satellites (wildly jumping up & down) as i flew it around the venue. below are 3 of the 5 various error screenshots f/today plus a video f/yesterday while it was hovering.

FYI, that NFZ warning in the last screenshot is completely inaccurate since the nearest airport is like 16 miles away.

now, i'm pretty sure something is still bloody wrong w/this unit - what we can we do about it here??

video:
screenshots:

IMG_0117.jpg
IMG_0118.jpg
IMG_0119.jpg
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

jcwconsulting Posted at 2017-9-29 17:05
okay, so i flew 3x today - during the first flight, my Spark threw an ATTI mode error & had to be landed manually (nothing new lately). during the second flight it held GPS lock throughout, for some unknown reason. during the third flight i experienced multiple weak GPS signal errors & hover drift. plus on 2 of the 3 flights, its GPS lock consistently fluctuated between 7-14 satellites (wildly jumping up & down) as i flew it around the venue. below are 3 of the 5 various error screenshots f/today plus a video f/yesterday while it was hovering.

FYI, that NFZ warning in the last screenshot is completely inaccurate since the nearest airport is like 16 miles away.

Just to verify, does the drone drift every time even there is enough GPS signal? According to the screenshots you offered, it seems that the GPS signal quality is not very good(only 2 bars, instead of full).

Also, please kindly offer your DJI account and sync the flight records, we will look into it.
2017-9-29
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-29 22:58
Just to verify, does the drone drift every time even there is enough GPS signal? According to the screenshots you offered, it seems that the GPS signal quality is not very good(only 2 bars, instead of full).

Also, please kindly offer your DJI account and sync the flight records, we will look into it.

the AC drifts almost every time i hover, no matter what the quality of GPS lock is. this poor signal has resulted in the 'weak GPS signal' error & a shift into OPTI mode (plus ATTI mode twice) over the last six flights. i almost always end up in OPTI mode, even if the GPS lock was excellent at takeoff.

flight records:

https://app.airdata.com/main?fli ... ENERALNotifications

flight data: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iso21 ... 92vvlZ1xOpZkGa?dl=0

blackbox data: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xsonj ... I62AznTRHGNfwa?dl=0

i'm will likely return the unit Monday - it's clearly defective, & i'm done wasting time w/these recurring issues after the fact.

2017-9-30
Use props
Jose Ramos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 72825 ft
Portugal

jcwconsulting Posted at 2017-9-30 09:57
the AC drifts almost every time i hover, no matter what the quality of GPS lock is. this poor signal has resulted in the 'weak GPS signal' error & a shift into OPTI mode (plus ATTI mode twice) over the last six flights. i almost always end up in OPTI mode, even if the GPS lock was excellent at takeoff.

flight records:

Regarding your previous drone, did the problem happen right from the start, or only after the mandatory upgrade?
2017-9-30
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

it's actually the same drone, & all of these problems only began after the 0.0600 update. before that, it flew flawlessly on 0.0500.
2017-9-30
Use props
Jose Ramos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 72825 ft
Portugal

jcwconsulting Posted at 2017-9-30 10:44
it's actually the same drone, & all of these problems only began after the 0.0600 update. before that, it flew flawlessly on 0.0500.

I'm starting to think more and more that this is a software problem!
2017-9-30
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

the only way to know for sure is by flying it w/0.0500 loaded, which we can't do b/c of the BS mandatory nature of the 0.0600 update
2017-9-30
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

that's it - flew yesterday & had multiple weak GPS errors plus ATTI mode. this thing is getting returned for repair or replacement tomorrow...
IMG_0122.jpg
2017-10-1
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

attn DJI Moderators: my new case # is CAS-1058842-F6F9G2. can someone see about escalating it? i'm requesting a brand new warranty replacement unit. your assistance is greatly appreciated...
2017-10-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

jcwconsulting Posted at 2017-9-29 17:05

You always need to measure your gps by the bar graph usually 2 bars would not be more than 8 sats.
2017-10-1
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-1 12:50
You always need to measure your gps by the bar graph usually 2 bars would not be more than 8 sats.

there always seems to be a disparity between the bar graph & satellite count numerical displays. correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the bar graph indicate quality of GPS lock rather than actual satellite count? just want to clarify that for my own knowledge. thx for your input...
2017-10-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

jcwconsulting Posted at 2017-10-1 13:29
there always seems to be a disparity between the bar graph & satellite count numerical display. correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the bar graph indicate the quality of GPS lock rather than the actual satellite count? just want to clarify that for my own knowledge. thx for your input...

Yes it does, so if you take it you need 6/7 sats to fly with gps if number reports 12 sats you could have 7 gps 5 glonass, so if you really want to be careful reading numbers of sats 12 or more is the number you should be looking for, 3 bars.
2017-10-1
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-1 13:33
Yes it does, so if you take it you need 6/7 sats to fly with gps if number reports 12 sats you could have 7 gps 5 glonass, so if you really want to be careful reading numbers of sats 12 or more is the number you should be looking for, 3 bars.

good to know - i'll add this to my pre-flight checklist going forward

thx again for the tip
2017-10-1
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-1 13:33

perhaps a useful feature could be 2 separate satellite count displays next to eachother, one for GPS & one for GLONASS - does that make sense to help discern specific positioning lock quality? i'd imagine so...
2017-10-2
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

okay, my Spark is on its way to DJI's repair center in Cerritos, CA. once again, the case # is CAS-1058842-F6F9G2. thx in advance to any DJI Mod(s) who can help escalate this warranty claim in a timely manner!
2017-10-2
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

FYI to DJI Mods - my warranty return has arrived @ DJI's Cerritos, CA repair facility as of 10AM today...thx in advance for any case escalation help you can provide!
2017-10-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

jcwconsulting Posted at 2017-10-9 09:24
FYI to DJI Mods - my warranty return has arrived @ DJI's Cerritos, CA repair facility as of 10AM today...thx in advance for any case escalation help you can provide!

It may take several days to unpack it and update the case in DJI system, please wait patiently, we'll keep an eye on it as well, will escalate it after it shows Received in DJI System.
2017-10-10
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-10-10 00:02
It may take several days to unpack it and update the case in DJI system, please wait patiently, we'll keep an eye on it as well, will escalate it after it shows Received in DJI System.

understood - thx for the update & your continued help, Diana
2017-10-10
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-10-10 00:02

FYI - shows as received in DJI's system as of late this afternoon
2017-10-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

jcwconsulting Posted at 2017-10-10 18:54
FYI - shows as received in DJI's system as of late this afternoon

The local team will do damage assessment according to your description. We will be here to follow up the case status.  
2017-10-10
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-10 23:17
The local team will do damage assessment according to your description. We will be here to follow up the case status.

not my first rodeo & fully understand the process - nonetheless, thx for your clarification
2017-10-11
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

jcwconsulting Posted at 2017-10-11 07:04
already been here once before & fully understand the process - nonetheless, thx for your clarification

Update: the drone has been tested, you should have received the email. It will be shipped out soon, we'll send another email with the tracking number once it is shipped.
2017-10-11
Use props
olivierm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4177 ft
France

does it mean DJI team will provide software update one day or another concerning this behave ? Hope yes, cause I suspect to have the same kind of "issue".
2017-10-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

olivierm Posted at 2017-10-11 23:09
does it mean DJI team will provide software update one day or another concerning this behave ? Hope yes, cause I suspect to have the same kind of "issue".

Sir, could you be more specific of your issue? And what troubleshooting have you tried? I'd like to help.
2017-10-12
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-10-11 22:28
Update: the drone has been tested, you should have received the email. It will be shipped out soon, we'll send another email with the tracking number once it is shipped.

thx Diana - got that email yesterday evening, your help is much appreciated...
2017-10-12
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

jcwconsulting Posted at 2017-10-12 10:42

You are welcome, the drone has been shipped out, I think you could receive it soon, hope you can enjoy it, have a nice day!
2017-10-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

jcwconsulting Posted at 2017-10-12 10:42

Good luck with your new one. Good job.
2017-10-13
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-13 10:36
Good luck with your new one. Good job.

thx much - i appreciate your well-wishes & valuable advice, as well
2017-10-13
Use props
olivierm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4177 ft
France

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-12 03:13
Sir, could you be more specific of your issue? And what troubleshooting have you tried? I'd like to help.

Hello Susan,
as I understood, there is a issue with the soft and drone or app should be updated. did I understand well ? if yes, my question was if it is planned to have an update of code soon  in the apps, or drone piece of code ;) (but I may have done  a mistake in unstanding correctly )
Olivier
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

olivierm Posted at 2017-10-16 01:31
Hello Susan,
as I understood, there is a issue with the soft and drone or app should be updated. did I understand well ?  if yes, my question was if it is planned to have an update of code soon  in the apps, or drone piece of code ;) (but I may have done  a mistake in unstanding correctly )
Olivier

Sorry for the confusion. I do not think that the issue was related with firmware or APP. If you have similar issue, I would recommend you to change another location with good GPS signal and try again. Please keep us posted of the test result.
2017-10-16
Use props
jcwconsulting
lvl.3
United States

received replacement AC & R/C late PM yesterday. activated, updated R/C firmware & charged all device batteries last night. went out for a test run today - flew perfectly on three consecutive batteries w/16-17 solid sats & excellent signal quality. thx again to Diana & the other mods who helped throughout this process!
2017-10-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules