Is the iPad Mini 4 WiFi Suitable?
3843 8 2017-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike Warren
lvl.2
Flight distance : 421532 ft
Australia

I'm thinking about purchasing an iPad Mini 4 to use purely as a screen for my Mavic. I'm currently using my Samsung Galaxy S4 and find the screen is not bright enough even in the shade.

Looking at the specs, the WiFi version of the iPad Mini 4 does not appear to have GPS. Does that make it unsuitable for use with the Mavic?

If I need to get the cellular version, do I need to connect it to a cellular network?

2017-9-28
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I use an Ipad Mini 4 wifi + cellular. I got it from Telstra on a contract. The wifi only version does not have a gps so you will be restricted from using some of the advanced flight modes. You will also need to pre download maps for regions you are flying in.
To be perfectly honest, it really is better to have the sim card. I only use the Ipad for DJI GO 4 so don't have messaging or email set up but it means that when I am flying, I don't have any problems. One additional benefit is that if I happen to get to where I am flying and I find that there has been a firmware update to the batteries and I have not updated all of them, I can just do it on the spot.
2017-9-28
Use props
Mike Warren
lvl.2
Australia

Thanks for the reply. Tethering it to my phone for a network link would be fine with me, it's just the lack of GPS. That said, I just discovered that JB HiFi seem to think the WiFi Version does have GPS.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/comput ... -space-grey/807068/

2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Both iPad mini 4 WiFi/iPad mini 4 WiFi + Cellular are compatible with DJI GO 4, so it can work with Mavic for normal use. The GPS module inside the mobile device is mainly for refresh current RC position as the Homepoint and Follow Me intelligent flight, they won't work if a mobile device doesn't equip with GPS. Hope this info gives you an answer, let me know if you have any other concerns.
2017-9-28
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Mike Warren Posted at 2017-9-28 20:07
Thanks for the reply. Tethering it to my phone for a network link would be fine with me, it's just the lack of GPS. That said, I just discovered that JB HiFi seem to think the WiFi Version does have GPS.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/tablets/apple/apple-ipad-mini-4-128gb-wi-fi-space-grey/807068/

If you have a look at the specs on the Apple Australia web page under Location, it clearly shows no gps on the wifi only model.

https://www.apple.com/au/ipad-mini-4/specs/

2017-9-28
Use props
GrahamG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73369 ft
United Kingdom

I use the mini 4 with just WiFi. You either pre download the map or use your phone as a hotspot. Never had any issues.
2017-9-28
Use props
Mike Warren
lvl.2
Australia

Thanks for all the replies.

After comparing an iPad mini and various android phones I decided to go for an Android phone, mostly because the screen looks a little brighter. In my testing so far I haven't experienced any of the lag issues I was having with my Galaxy S4. And having a dedicated device just for the Mavic means I don't have to worry about getting phone calls while flying.
2017-10-1
Use props
fans788a1c8d
lvl.1

The 26th of July, I leave for a 3 week trip to the Philipines and I have a DJI Spark combo now. I use it with my Samung Galaxy Note 4 but there is an incredibly amount of lag. I have an Ipad Mini 1 but this doesn't support the DJI GO 4 app so I'm looking to buy an Ipad Mini 4 as well. But my question then is, when you don't have mobile network (wich will probably be the case in the Philippines), does it even matter if you buy the Ipad Mini 4 wifi+cellular?
Thank you!
2018-7-9
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Hi Mike.
I have the iPad Mini 4 ,128gb, with Wi-Fi only and it is dedicated to the MP. I have found that I have never needed the cell version and if I do I can always hop on to someone's cell phone(with their permission).
I usually cache the maps of the location before I fly in remote areas and that works for me.
The Mini4 is a perfect fit for the controller and the screen is the perfect size plus being bright enough to see with.
Good luck with your decision.
2018-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules