Shutter speed flicker?
2779 5 2015-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
augusthansen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89498 ft
United States

In certain light, I've noticed this flicker when I have to adjust the shutter speed to compensate for a bright, sunny day.  So basically my whole shot is ruined cause it has this faint flicker.  Is this because of the shutter speed or the sun reflecting off the props into the lens?  How do I stop this madness??
2015-4-6
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Not sure I totally understand your case... there are several things that can cause flicker...the best rule of thumb is to keep your shutter speed double that of your frame rate... ISO and shutter and ND filter are the only compensations available so use the lowest ISO keep your shutter around 60 if you are shooting 30fps and get some ND gels to put inside your ND filter to help block out light...I have noticed some cases where at certain angles to the sun you will see some flicker due to light going through the props... not sure there is anything you can do other than change the camera angle slightly to avoid the light hitting at that angle...
2015-4-6
Use props
augusthansen
lvl.2
United States

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-4-7 00:26
Not sure I totally understand your case... there are several things that can cause flicker...the bes ...

Yea, I was aware that I should keep the shutter speed at double but if I follow this rule with the Inspire, video is blown out during day shoots , even with the ND on.  I guess what I need is a stronger ND filter.  I've read where some guys are taking gels and cutting them to fit over the lens.  I really think using shutter speed to compensate is bad practice which is causing the current issue I'm having.  But with the inspire, its the only control we really have which bums me out.

Thanks.
2015-4-6
Use props
Mkell_CA_SF.BAY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 307431 ft
United States

August, I think you saw my thread about the ND tests I did. ND shutter tests I did some additional tests and showed the difference between using ND and using high shutter. The ND will help in some cases, as you will be able to get your shutter speed back down to a low level. But in my tests, I've found that with or without ND when you tilt up on the inspire 1 at a fast rate, there is also some bad jittery rolling shutter going on. I'm not sure if there is much we can do about that.
2015-4-6
Use props
augusthansen
lvl.2
United States

Mkell_CA_SF.BAY Posted at 2015-4-7 01:29
August, I think you saw my thread about the ND tests I did. ND shutter tests I did some additional t ...

Thanks for sharing.  Yes, those were the posts I've read.  Great info.  I found that even while my Inspire hovers idle, I can the dark spots in the grass flickering.  I'm almost positive it's related to the shutter speed being cranked.  I'm gonna try my best to stick to the 180 out rule and try to use a gel on my ND filter to increase the stops.  
2015-4-6
Use props
jonlip
lvl.2
United States

I feel your pain, the best thing you can do is shoot at 1080 60p to combat this and/or get a stronger nd.
2015-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules